What has OT Taught you

Maxingmck

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT has taught me that this thread will be locked as soon as a mod sees it.

Not locked now, but it will if it just degrades into a bunch of spam and trolling... and dusky is starting that path nicely actually... <_<

Guest Mrmegakirby

Alright, I'll be serious.

OT has taught me to type properly online. And loads of useless trivial things I'll never use, but enjoy nonetheless.

It's shaped my views on the world. I have way more respect for countries besides the US, I went from Catholic to Agnostic, have slightly less hateful feelings towards marijuana, and I tend to have more support for free choice.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

It's shaped my views on the world. I have way more respect for countries besides the US, I went from Catholic to Agnostic, have slightly less hateful feelings towards marijuana, and I tend to have more support for free choice.

And killing people with a baseball bat is bad.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Don't eat glass shards.

Don't shave those [wagon] hairs.

this (these)

but spam aside, OT has taught me a lot. It's taught me that the US law can be rediculous. That there is a such thing as "dance hardcore". That there's a lot of older members that lurk MM&T. That omegle/chat roulette exists. It taught me nigh everything I know about women. It was in OT that I realized I wanted to be a psychologist.

and much much more (especially if you include Hegemony as an OT thread)

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

If anything, OT has taught me to stop debating religion. It's pointless.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Not much, but I think it's helped me appreciate the diversity on the internet. I mean, I'm talking to people thousands of miles away that I'll never meet by making this post! Fascinating stuff.

Oh, and that glass is nommable but isn't really a good thing to nom.

wl7w9j.png

I don't think i've learned anything particularly "new", rather i've reenforced observations i've made in other aspects of my life as well. I have an arguably academic mindset, and a global perspective through living in different cultures, and having an interest in global politics and economy. Therefore, I would have been very surprised to find the world much different from previous experiences, and simoultaneous experiences.

forums are a nice place to learn about yourself, as you experiment with your persona, mode of expression etc. It's only online, so you can say what you actually mean, and see the reactions. you can experiment with how you present arguments, and views and very directly see the reactions. I hope many of us take the opportunity to improve ourselves, and deepen our understanding of ourselves through these arenas.

personally I've had these points reinforced:

- Cultural differences around the world always become clearer with individual stories

- You learn people. Most of us are predictable, and react predictably in arguments (/pessimism).

- Many american stereotypes (of thought, not behaviour) are more correct than i had ever dreamed. this scares me.

- Irrationality and self-insight: people continuously attribute their emotions factual value in discussion, and vice versa. They also refuse to re-examine held opinions when new evidence is presented to them.

- "winning" an argument is the widespread interaction on these forums. People discuss and debate to reinforce their own opinions.

- young people are fundementally fundementalists, and hold positions in the extremes. seen research before, confirmed very clearly here though.

- common sense is uncommon, bigotry and partiality are. Principles and ideology often enshroud and obscure the real world

- attentionspans (reading posts) are very short. why bother replying when you don't consider the opinions of others? my personal answer: many have an extrovert need to publish own opinions, not a wish for dialogue.

- logical connections often require significant explanation; we are a passivised generation, not willing to excersice our minds.

- many find it hard to ignore people and arguments although this is often the best course of action.

All in all, real discussions can be a true learning experience if we open ourselves to the effects. "Trolls" and counter-trolls ruin a lot of good discussions though. respect is in short supply online.

I don't think i've learned anything particularly "new", rather i've reenforced observations i've made in other aspects of my life as well. I have an arguably academic mindset, and a global perspective through living in different cultures, and having an interest in global politics and economy. Therefore, I would have been very surprised to find the world much different from previous experiences, and simoultaneous experiences.

forums are a nice place to learn about yourself, as you experiment with your persona, mode of expression etc. It's only online, so you can say what you actually mean, and see the reactions. you can experiment with how you present arguments, and views and very directly see the reactions. I hope many of us take the opportunity to improve ourselves, and deepen our understanding of ourselves through these arenas.

personally I've had these points reinforced:

- Cultural differences around the world always become clearer with individual stories

- You learn people. Most of us are predictable, and react predictably in arguments (/pessimism).

- Many american stereotypes (of thought, not behaviour) are more correct than i had ever dreamed. this scares me.

- Irrationality and self-insight: people continuously attribute their emotions factual value in discussion, and vice versa. They also refuse to re-examine held opinions when new evidence is presented to them.

- "winning" an argument is the widespread interaction on these forums. People discuss and debate to reinforce their own opinions.

- young people are fundementally fundementalists, and hold positions in the extremes. seen research before, confirmed very clearly here though.

- common sense is uncommon, bigotry and partiality are. Principles and ideology often enshroud and obscure the real world

- attentionspans (reading posts) are very short. why bother replying when you don't consider the opinions of others? my personal answer: many have an extrovert need to publish own opinions, not a wish for dialogue.

- logical connections often require significant explanation; we are a passivised generation, not willing to excersice our minds.

- many find it hard to ignore people and arguments although this is often the best course of action.

All in all, real discussions can be a true learning experience if we open ourselves to the effects. "Trolls" and counter-trolls ruin a lot of good discussions though. respect is in short supply online.

I'm curious, what stereotypes would those be?

wl7w9j.png

And killing people with a baseball bat is bad.

Killing a bad person isn't bad.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

ooooh!

I also learned that Paperclips have feelings, and plan to stage an uprising sometime in November!

and that there's a secret military portal hidden somewhere in Berlin!

but seriously...

I'm curious too. How many American stereotypes are there? and how true are they? [what are they?]

I've also realized here how adament I am on some of my opinions [actually I just realized that after reading that giant wall of text on the first page of this thread]. But most of my idealogic opinions, such as religion and drug use are very deeply set and unchanging. I'm not all that impressionable when it comes to my core beliefs. So I guess i proved the research correct?

I also would like to take the time to apologize for all of my typos. I type very fast and neglect to proofread. I may or may not be developing dislexia. i really dunno. So sorry, for my constant spelling and grammar mistakes ^^;

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

OT has taught me other countries are as developed as the U.S.

Please no spamming trolling, I dont want this locked

And you're telling me you're not trolling in the first post?

Can't think of anything really at the moment, but I,ve learned a few things, notably some of the "memes".

-Australia's government sucks.

-God is a lie.

-The cake is a pie.

-Don't shave the hairs of thy [wagon].

-Glass is harmful if ingested.

-Westboro Baptist Church is [developmentally delayed]ed.

-Furry fandom is okay.

-Furry fandom is freaking weird.

-Let's support homosexuals because they're cool.

-George Bush can dodge shoes.

-Evolution is a sound theory.

-Cats are cute (pet picture thread)

-US schools are [developmentally delayed]ed.

-Tag was banned in a Colorado school.

-A person was stabbed in the head because he cheated at CS.

-Electronic cigarettes are good.

-Marijuana isn't as bad as people say it is.

That's all I can remember.

Let's not forget the discussion about rubber balls and testicular torsion. ;)

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.