Tip.it Times 4 April 2010

Mirror

+ infinity for clan hall :thumbsup:

A massive "COH" with a lot of features for clans in it. I'm naming;

-Teleports to any group vs group minigames (SC and Clanwars in particular)

-Ancient Obelisk Teleport (teleporting you randomly to any one of those currently present in the Wild)

-A seperate bank where people can donate items to for clan use, as well as the stuff needed to construct more rooms and their features

-Trophy Halls for said minigame achievements against other clans

-and any other cool features that makes it awesome to have a POH too...

As for the current commentairy on how there should be no seperation between the single and multiplayer "modes" in the game;

Some things already require you to be part of a clan to be able to play. Clanwars is an example of this, and I think that Jagex should do a whole lot of belly-button staring for not implementing more of this... So what if you cannot do an activity because you're not part of a clan? I'm beginning to feel quite nauseous at the one-size-fits-all routine... It happened with the Ice Strikewyrm/Firecape issue: Stop your whining and move on to other things, or conform and get a fire cape, and ti goes for clan content too:

Join a clan or expect not to be able to do everything...

If you've had a bad clan experience, then you've just not found the proper clan for you yet... Better still, if you can't find such a clan, MAKE one...

Unfortunately, Tip.it is not the home of clans, but there is our rival fansite out there who is completely dedicated to clans... If people think that clans are just a vocal minority, they're very wrong indeed...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clans already abuse minigames to death. (One side always wins at castle wars or soul wars or stealing creation)

What more do they want?

I can tell you they deserve nothing more, but thats just my opinion and Jagex is all about the group-think. :rolleyes:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I still think the perceived importance and participation in clans is out of whack with their actual importance and use. I think that people in Clans are an overly vocal minority.

I have an idea, I'll use the same stupid argument always used at me when I criticize or say something should be changed. You want clan support? Go play WoW.

The actual importance of clans is how they bring in more active players. It's like those Facebook applications where the games aren't exactly the most creative on the planet, yet some people play because their friends do. Except that in the case of MMOs, you can actually plan out proper group events for your clans members. Likewise, people start a clan, invite players in-game, who might try to boost the clan's morale with more clan members, by inviting their friends/cousins/siblings to try the game out. If there's features such as clan halls, you can actually invite new players to your 'base', showcase what your clan does, your achievements (perhaps actual clan trophies from those Jagex cup thingy), instead of "Hey, join us on *insert offsite address*."

Clans already abuse minigames to death. (One side always wins at castle wars or soul wars or stealing creation)

What more do they want?

I can tell you they deserve nothing more, but thats just my opinion and Jagex is all about the group-think. :rolleyes:

If you're on the side of individual players against a group of clan members, you've just seen the power of teamwork. A clan who work this to their advantage deserves to win. They have proper command chain, and better reaction than individual players solo-charging at the avatars or running around castles killing random players instead of guarding their posts.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Clearly Ravian is a member of the group think and belief of the group over the individual. Therefore he will not and can not be persuaded of our arguments for individualism.

Also, I still think that Clans bringing "active players" who compete/team with their friends isn't that large of a majority. I think the way they get the attention from Jagex is the same manner where a small group makes a big noise against an enemy making them think there are many more than there actually are. Personally, I wish that Jagex would embrace the individualistic nature that their game has. Better to simply own it than paying lip service to clans.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

The "Did You Know..." ( I refuse to call it a DYK, which looks exactly like a another word. That's how I read it whenever any of you say it. inb4immature) is very cool this week. I have full penance and I've never thought of that application for it.

There are a lot of really neat applications for it that are not immediately thought of. For example, thieving master farmers in draynor with Penance and ardy cloak 3 = win, as well as training agility anywhere with full penance(+ full master horn for epic exp).

Flyingjj.png

Also, I think in Jagex doing such things as this, they will step into a huge pit. By going more after the Clan market they will be entering a market that other, bigger games are in and do much better in the clan department. I think the whole thing will end up much the same way as the Mobilising Armies experiement.

And, if I may, I wouldn't belong to any clan that would have me as a member. :P

Clearly Ravian is a member of the group think and belief of the group over the individual. Therefore he will not and can not be persuaded of our arguments for individualism.

Also, I still think that Clans bringing "active players" who compete/team with their friends isn't that large of a majority. I think the way they get the attention from Jagex is the same manner where a small group makes a big noise against an enemy making them think there are many more than there actually are. Personally, I wish that Jagex would embrace the individualistic nature that their game has. Better to simply own it than paying lip service to clans.

Clearly making baseless assumptions is the way to make your argument valid. I've never been part of a clan in RuneScape, but I see the potential from the point of business in increasing membership, as well as from the point of existing clans who would utilise these features.

You think that clans are a small part of the whole RuneScape population, and hence do not deserve these features. I don't think it's up to you to decide whether they deserve or not, since Jagex is putting clans pretty high up on their priority list.

You think that giving clans some in-game features is going to affect individualised gameplay. May I know how the addition of say, a clan base, or features suggested by Ts_Stormage for one of the weekly update of 2010 is going to change that?

Lastly, you've been advocating yourself as a player inclined towards individual gameplay. Great, we know that. Does that mean that every player out there in a clan is going to start becoming like you? No. Using yourself as an example does not change the fact that there are clans out there who can use a in-game clan feature or two.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

No, I never in anyway way said that clans would affect individualized gameplaying. I have simply stated that I don't like clans personally and don't particularly like having to hear about them. Also, if I had my way, and that's what this argument is all about, having our own ways, I'd rather Jagex not spend time doing them.

Also, my assumption of you was based on everything I have so far read from you. Also, you may notice that I made no mention of you being or not being in a clan. I again simply stated that I believe you believe in the group over the individual. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

As far as a high priority, I have my doubts. I think that Jagex pays a bunch of lip service to clans, gives them minor updates, and does what little they have to placate them. This opinion is based entirely of what they have done so far.

And finally, no it's not up me to decide if they should or shouldn't., but it's not up to you either. Both of us are giving on our opinions on the hypothetical updates that have been suggested.

How would those updates change things? No idea. I just don't think they're worth the time.

No, I never in anyway way said that clans would affect individualized gameplaying. I have simply stated that I don't like clans personally and don't particularly like having to hear about them. Also, if I had my way, and that's what this argument is all about, having our own ways, I'd rather Jagex not spend time doing them.

Also, my assumption of you was based on everything I have so far read from you. Also, you may notice that I made no mention of you being or not being in a clan. I again simply stated that I believe you believe in the group over the individual. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

As far as a high priority, I have my doubts. I think that Jagex pays a bunch of lip service to clans, gives them minor updates, and does what little they have to placate them. This opinion is based entirely of what they have done so far.

And finally, no it's not up me to decide if they should or shouldn't., but it's not up to you either. Both of us are giving on our opinions on the hypothetical updates that have been suggested.

How would those updates change things? No idea. I just don't think they're worth the time.

Wow, having your way indeed. I'm glad you're not a pure skiller, or I won't see combat updates for the rest of my life (if you have your way). Whatever I don't enjoy should not be added to the game even if there are people who do. Or better still, whatever I don't enjoy should not be added to the game since if I don't, they must be so bad that that they don't exist at all! I swear that there are no clans in RuneScape, hence any clan related updates must be useless! <_<

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Personally, I'd like Clans to go about their business if they want and make due with what they have. I'm fine with ever other kind of update. Runescape is very unique in that it's one of the very few games that truly offers a game that focused on individual play and individual achievement. The more it changes to group activity, the more it turns itself to every other RPG out there. I think that's a bad thing. That's just my opinion and my final thought on the topic.

Personally, I'd like Clans to go about their business if they want and make due with what they have. I'm fine with ever other kind of update. Runescape is very unique in that it's one of the very few games that truly offers a game that focused on individual play and individual achievement. The more it changes to group activity, the more it turns itself to every other RPG out there. I think that's a bad thing. That's just my opinion and my final thought on the topic.

Every other player has something that they hate in particular. Quest haters, minigame haters...... If you're fine with every other update but hates clan updates, and another player is fine with every other update except quests, and another, and another, which update should RuneScape go for? And you still don't seem to get the fact that this article isn't talking about changing the gameplay to group activity (like that last Tip.it article), but to provide an in-game infrastructure for clans. The clan could well be a Penguin spotting clan, or a We Love Cabbage clan.

What this changes is, should you (not you, MHL) want to form a clan, you can, in addition to the clan chat, have a clan hall/base which limits access based on membership, a in-game clan logo so that your member can be distinguished from other clans beyond that 50 team capes, and perhaps a clan site hosted by Jagex etc............... instead of having to make do with other non-clan related features in the game, or resorting to registering your clan on another website host. Your clan can become a legit in-game group, you can invite players to visit your in-game clan base instead of some dubious looking link.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I don't mind clans - heck, I even join one some of the time. But I do not like being "forced" to interact with others for content. So, if Jagex wants to release more stuff for clans, go ahead. Just don't make it less entertaining for those of us who prefer Soloscape.

a70c7.png

I agree with this article so much it hurts :ohnoes:

But seriously, I'm in an active F2p warring clan and I think personalised team capes would be a fantastic addition to show off and stuff :thumbup:

Proud to have been a Legendary Vindicator

00348.png

I still think the perceived importance and participation in clans is out of whack with their actual importance and use. I think that people in Clans are an overly vocal minority.

I have an idea, I'll use the same stupid argument always used at me when I criticize or say something should be changed. You want clan support? Go play WoW.

I have another idea: i'll just ignore all the other arguments, that actually may make sense:

How often do you use a clan chat? I think you have a very narrow view of what a clan is, rather than the definition Jagex seems to use. In interacting with people, i think you utilize clan features almost every time you play.

Jagex have claimed, repeatedly the last Q&A sessions that they wish for 50% quest / skilling time in our runescape play, and 50% "other activities", that leaves minigames, D&D and clan activities as something Jagex publicly asserts should take half your ingame runescape time. They also advertise the p2p game to have 25 000 hours of p2p content. I can easily show you 25 000 hours of quests (without guides obviously) and skilling. Show me 12500 hours of minigames and clan activities? Our clan updates are overdue.

If you are tired hearing about 50% of the game you play, haven't you become either selfish, or grown away from the game? I'd say those are pretty clear reasons to consider rpgs that advertise their games more towards your liking. Many allow you to chat with others, but not interact directly other than through trade. They have IRC channels, official forums etc. where you can get your "interaction". G

oing by your incessant complaints about some aspect in almost every topic, you might wanna step back and think about your gaming experience, and your tip.it "interaction" before posting your usual unfounded one-line complaints. You can't neglect runescape in your own terms, because they contradict with what Jagex state they will provide you.

Based on your posts on the tip.it forums the last couple of months, It seems you do wish to play an rpg, but an rpg where you can chat to other people. That is not the MMORPG gameplay Jagex advertises itself as. Your complaints are unreasonable, you know what you've signed up to play, you want something else. If I continually complain about the lack of RWT opportunities within runescape, and whine about it at every opportunity, wouldn't you tell me to find myself a different game to play?

sorry, asserting yourself in a victim's role "told by the community to quit". it's very unbecoming, especially considering what runescape actually describes itself to be.

hmm, i guess what jagex says doesn't matter, when me_hate_libs has an opinion?

No, it doesn't, not when I have a difereing opinion. I have an opinion that differs from theirs. That's why it's called an opinon. It's yours and no one else's, regardless of anything else..

No, it doesn't, not when I have a difereing opinion. I have an opinion that differs from theirs. That's why it's called an opinon. It's yours and no one else's, regardless of anything else..

Their opinion is clans should have more in-game support (this does not imply more group actiivities). Your opinion is you hate clans, therefore Jagex should not add in-game clan support features, right?

Zepheras.png

-F1775

My opinions are two fold.

1) I dislike clans. I don't hate them though.

2) By focusing more time on clans they are moving into a realm where bigger games are also better at clan support. I think that's a mistake. I think the game is set up well the way it is.

This opinion is mine and I don't particularly care what anyone else to say about it. Whether it be Ravian or Andrew Gower himself.

I was under the impression that the writer is hoping for some one-time investment of the developers' time to design some in-game features. Clan chat is one feature, but more should have been added together with it in the first place. Whereas you seem to talk about how this may evolve into more group activity,

The more it changes to group activity, the more it turns itself to every other RPG out there.

or how this equates to Jagex

going more after the Clan market

Are you that paranoid, or frustrated when clan chat was added? :unsure:

Zepheras.png

-F1775

2) By focusing more time on clans they are moving into a realm where bigger games are also better at clan support. I think that's a mistake. I think the game is set up well the way it is.

This opinion is mine and I don't particularly care what anyone else to say about it. Whether it be Ravian or Andrew Gower himself.

so you are say, if i wanted RWT back in runescape, i should complain every update they don't reinstitute opportunites for rwt?

I think I would then need to confront myself with reality. do you?

so you are say, if i wanted RWT back in runescape, i should complain every update they don't reinstitute opportunites for rwt?

I'm very well aware of reality and not at all paranoid. I simply don't support spending time on updates for clans. Why do you have such an issue with that?

I'm very well aware of reality and not at all paranoid. I simply don't support spending time on updates for clans. Why do you have such an issue with that?

Well, because I'm an individualised player, but nevertheless supports the spending of time and addition of clan features as long as it would be enjoyed by other players who need them. You are however, an individualised player who feels the need to reject such ideas altogether either by assuming that clans are a minority so small that they are not worth receiving updates, or assuming that this is going to evolve into the catastrophe of more group activities, or assuming that Jagex is going to fail at such a project compared to other MMOs, or assuming that even if they suceed, the time spent should have been used for other updates (almost as good as saying that clan chat could have ended up being a quest update or something).

I understand how some players not utilising in-game clan features would not benefit from it, but I honestly don't see the need to REJECT this idea. I personally doubt that the development time saved would bring in other updates into the game at an amazing faster speed, or be exchangeable for a WGS2, or solve the issue of manipulation clan etc etc.... :blink:

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Paranoia is if someone is "out to get you" how does that have anything to do with anything on this topic?

because jagex have said that 50% of the game is supposed to be composed of multiplayer activities. because jagex have said they're striving towards that goal. Because jagex have said that they are focusing more on clan activities (after the last clan tournament). because nothing has happened since then, and therefore clan changes and increased support should be around the corner. becasue it's like their stance on RTW: something they have asserted as fact. because you seem to disregard all those things when you campaign against clan updates.

It's completely irrational, it's as if i were to campaign against color changes for the dark bow, when it was voted as guaranteed content: it makes no sense.

Paranoia is if someone is "out to get you" how does that have anything to do with anything on this topic?

because jagex have said that 50% of the game is supposed to be composed of multiplayer activities. because jagex have said they're striving towards that goal. Because jagex have said that they are focusing more on clan activities (after the last clan tournament). because nothing has happened since then, and therefore clan changes and increased support should be around the corner. becasue it's like their stance on RTW: something they have asserted as fact. because you seem to disregard all those things when you campaign against clan updates.

It's completely irrational, it's as if i were to campaign against color changes for the dark bow, when it was voted as guaranteed content: it makes no sense.

Rav implied I was paranoid, that's why I said something.

I personally never saw the 50% thing, but I personally won't spend 50% of my time on group activities. I don't agree with that goal, but again, it's just an opinion. It's not something I'll quit the game over. I am personally against it, again why is that an issue? Because it goes against what Jagex has said their goal is? Sorry, but I don't have to believe or hold the opinion of the game developers to enjoy their game in the same way I don't have to agree with Ben & Jerry's politics to like their ice cream.

I personally never saw the 50% thing, but I personally won't spend 50% of my time on group activities. I don't agree with that goal, but again, it's just an opinion. It's not something I'll quit the game over. I am personally against it, again why is that an issue? Because it goes against what Jagex has said their goal is? Sorry, but I don't have to believe or hold the opinion of the game developers to enjoy their game in the same way I don't have to agree with Ben & Jerry's politics to like their ice cream.

they've said it's as firm as RWT though. You eat Ben and Jerry's for their ice cream, just as you judge runescape on their game content, and future game content. That's the game Andrew has been out to make for a decade, you disagree: well, you know what they're gonna give you. They've told you, you don't have a say, i don't have a say. complaining about something you know you can't change is as stupid as trying to date someone who's happily married, you know what you're in for. I get annoyed by someone constantly complaining about that, so i'd take a step back and look at myself to see if i was doing something similar.

That's why clans are something worth talking about: because Jagex are actually trying to make this type of content: it's not trying to change existing content (bosses, a minigame or whatever) this is something Jagex is actually working on, and will continue working with. Why not post something constructive, like how clans could become more relevant to your type of player, rather than condemning the whole situation? It's like not voting for the best party, because all parties are bad. lesser of two evils: it's the only thing that makes sense.

So how should clans be dealt with, as they will remain a major part of the game? it's an issue because your irrational behavior isn't constructive, and obviously your opinion is different to "the tip.it community", so getting that new perspective is more important to all of us, than reasserting ourselves with our "opinion-buddies". That's what a community is all about: constructively contributing just like everyone else. you obviously have a new perspective beneficial to us all, so share it, rather than complaining about something set in stone.