Saradomin godswords uses for slayer

Saradomin godsword since it's release was looked on as an amazing tool for keeping your hp up which earnt it a 100mil+ pricetag. Now we have so many other options

Enchanted excalibur: will heal 20 hp which is the same as the minimun of sgs - saves you 68mil/requires completing seers village, does not recover any prayer points, potentially heals less than sgs

summoning : bunyip unicorn and titans all heal decent amount either constantly or with using a scroll - Heals alot more hp, does not require weapon switching, Very cheap, keep special bar so you can use a dragon dagger etc to speed up tasks / requires high summoning levels, inv spaced used for pouch , scrolls and maybe summ pots.

Food : with the grand exchange and updates food is easy to get ahold of, why spend 68mil when you can have baskets of strawberries or even trout easily for very little - cheap, good for short trips , reliable and don't have to wait for special attack bar/ clearly means you have to bank alot more and use up inv space

soul split: heals 1/5 of the damage you deal, if you flash this there is very little prayer drain - limitless supply of hp!/need high prayer level, cannot use protection prayers at the same time.

Bones to peaches: useful if monsters drop bones and can be used as a tab - stackable food allowing for very long trips/ low hp each bite, requires large amount of free inv space, slows down tasks.

So I ask you why buy a sgs with the other options currently avalible, I accept that it can be use along with food or ss but what the point and is 20hp worth 68mil, also removing any other special attacks which can be used to speed up tasks.

Please ignore any poor grammar or spelling typed this on ipod.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use for which most people recommend the SGS is slayer. I'll quote my analysis of the SGS vs Dragon Claws for slayer from another thread:

Say you play 5 hours a day, and spend 4 hours of that slaying, and you use combat prayers. SGS will save you 15 prayer points and 300 hp per 5 minutes (full bar, averaging 300 damage per spec). But, you only save 100 hp more than if you used an SGS. This equates to 180 prayer points and 1200 hitpoints per hour. This saves a player 15k in prayer potions and 5k in food. 20k saved per hour. So you play 4 hours a day, so you save 80k per day with the SGS. However the SGS costs 35m more than dragon claws. If we completely disregard the combat benefits of the claws, you lose interest on that 35m. If you can manage 1% a day (VERY easy, you can get 10% in two 4-hour periods), you lose 350k a day by owning an SGS over a dragon claws.

So even without considering Dragon claws' use, SGS saves you 80k a day but you forgo 350-3,500k a day.

When you add in the fact that every 5 minutes you get to increase two attacks of your Abyssal whip's average hit of about 280 (320 in Kuradal's) to 625 (785 in Kuradal's) with dragon claws, or 690 (930 in Kuradal's) free damage per bar. So every hour you get about 3.3k free damage (4.5k in Kuradal's). If you assume you're getting the BEST tasks for xp (in which Claws make the least difference, to be conservative), you'd be getting about 120k xp outside and about 160k xp inside. Claws will save you about 99 seconds per hour outside and 135 seconds per hour inside. and If you assume 3m/hour (VERY conservative for someone with the requirements to get these rates), you'll save 82.5k worth of time (112k in Kuradal's). On TOP of that, you'll be making about 27k (37k in Kuradal's) in drops per hour.

So here's what claws do, per hour: 109.5k, 149k inside Kuradal's. If you slay for 4 hours (as assumed), you'll save and/or earn 438-596k a day. Beats the 80k of SGS or the 350k of 1% interest. Claws are always better than SGS for slaying. The more you play per day, the better claws become over the interest rate, too.

tl;dr: Claws are 6-7 times better than SGS.

To each their own.

I prefer SGS, so i don't have to summon another Bunyip 40 monsters before the end of the task.

Prayer restore... I can use berserker prayer with no fear of prayer going out. No, i won't bring prayer pots to non-prayer tasks.

It rocks at TDS.

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]

Claws are far more useful at GWD when you solo, and AGS is better for teams.

I have personally never owned a SGS for longer than 2 hours. I found it completely useless due to the fact that soul split is easily flashed, and I never need food on slayer tasks anymore.

lalalasig2.png

I used to own a SGS before soulsplit even existed and I found it not worth the price tag. It saves you like 2 doses of prayer potion on a task at the cost of 2 dds specs. Those special attacks speed my task up while the SGS slows them down. Why would I waste time on SGS speccing when I can just bring an extra prayer potion? And with a bunyip out having to heal on slayer tasks is rare. Now with soulsplit it is no longer necessary. I can now use a combat familiar and heal off my prayer potions :thumbsup: .

EDIT: Although SGS is still king at TDS I find it not worth the 70m (or what is it) for a single boss I can't stand killing for more than an hour.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

With my levels a SGS is still fairly useful, especially considering overall, when I need prayer restore, it is better than pretty much the only other option, ancient mace.

Besides, hp & prayer restore would rock at fight caves.

Sadly I am too poor to afford anything that is more expensive than an SS. :(

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

I have a mild form of OCD, and if my prayer is not full because of prayer flash then it starts to bother me, SGS solve that problem for me.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

For those who are making their way to make overloads, they usually make a TON of recover specials on the way, me personally, i made over 5k of these things which are in my bank, useless. Well that's what i first thought until i thought about taking them along with me to slayer. Now i take usually 10+ recover specials per task whenever i can. I piety all of my tasks therefore i consume a large number of prayer potions, the fact that i use an sgs saves me on average 2 entire prayer potions per task with the aid of recover specials, along with that i can keep my hp topped up pretty much all the time. The healing part of the SGS spec is very useful at places such as Nechs, where even with exxtreme def pots i take a lot of damage as i am constantly in combat with 2 nechs as my titan will target one nech while i am the other. As a result the sgs spec helps a ton and saves me from suffering a lot of damage.

Now if we take the calculation of the 2nd poster into consideration, that makes claws even more better, however the thing is, i love my sgs, thats why i have it :)

Also, i believe sgs has much more use outside of slayer than claws do. The only place i see claws having a half decent effect is at bandos. However at the majority of other bosses, sgs outweighs the claws by far. For example take TDs which i do incredibly often, sgs is by far the best weapon to take there both for its prayer restore special and also it's significant healing ability, yes you can argue that a unicorn is more than enough to cover the damage from the demons, which in most cases is true, however you may run into some (idiots) who cannot lure at tds and you end up unwillingly having multiple TDs on you as i do, therefore for these situations an SGS helps by far more than claws.

You can compare claws and SGS to most off the other bosses, and you will find that SGS has more use than claws. That is why SGS has more use than claws. I know that this topic is dicussing only slayer, however your not going to spend 32m and 68m respectively just for a special weapon for slayer now are you?

MujGunGetDiv.png

I don't think you can rationally justify any gs but the bgs for any activity. Luckily it's a game, so we can simply play to have fun. 75m extra for an ags to see higher hits? sure! as long as that's what you find fun

The use for which most people recommend the SGS is slayer. I'll quote my analysis of the SGS vs Dragon Claws for slayer from another thread:

Say you play 5 hours a day, and spend 4 hours of that slaying, and you use combat prayers. SGS will save you 15 prayer points and 300 hp per 5 minutes (full bar, averaging 300 damage per spec). But, you only save 100 hp more than if you used an SGS. This equates to 180 prayer points and 1200 hitpoints per hour. This saves a player 15k in prayer potions and 5k in food. 30k saved per hour. So you play 4 hours a day, so you save 80k per day with the SGS. However the SGS costs 35m more than dragon claws. If we completely disregard the combat benefits of the claws, you lose interest on that 35m. If you can manage 1% a day (VERY easy, you can get 10% in two 4-hour periods), you lose 350k a day by owning an SGS over a dragon claws.

So even without considering Dragon claws' use, SGS saves you 80k a day but you forgo 350-3,500k a day.

When you add in the fact that every 5 minutes you get to increase two attacks of your Abyssal whip's average hit of about 280 (320 in Kuradal's) to 625 (785 in Kuradal's) with dragon claws, or 690 (930 in Kuradal's) free damage per bar. So every hour you get about 3.3k free damage (4.5k in Kuradal's). If you assume you're getting the BEST tasks for xp (in which Claws make the least difference, to be conservative), you'd be getting about 120k xp outside and about 160k xp inside. Claws will save you about 99 seconds per hour outside and 135 seconds per hour inside. and If you assume 3m/hour (VERY conservative for someone with the requirements to get these rates), you'll save 82.5k worth of time (112k in Kuradal's). On TOP of that, you'll be making about 27k (37k in Kuradal's) in drops per hour.

So here's what claws do, per hour: 109.5k, 149k inside Kuradal's. If you slay for 4 hours (as assumed), you'll save and/or earn 438-596k a day. Beats the 80k of SGS or the 350k of 1% interest. Claws are always better than SGS for slaying. The more you play per day, the better claws become over the interest rate, too.

tl;dr: Claws are 6-7 times better than SGS.

Because I'm useless at money stuff, can you please explain (in really simple terms and I mean really simple) how interest comes into it?

Ananke32.png

I don't think you can rationally justify any gs but the bgs for any activity. Luckily it's a game, so we can simply play to have fun. 75m extra for an ags to see higher hits? sure! as long as that's what you find fun

Actually, the BGS and ZGS both fail.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

The SGS may not be quite as useful for slayer as it once was, but remember people are lazy.

1) Enchanted excalibur: This doesn't restore prayer, and usually on slayer tasks, prayers is more of a drain than HP is. EE is still an excellent substitute for slayer though as most tasks don't *require* prayer.

2) Summoning: Again HP isn't usually an issue for most slayer tasks. Bunyip is usually overkill in HP restoration.

3) Food: Some tasks are really far out of the way and lots of people would rather camp their entire task instead of banking every 20 minutes or so. Banking every 20 minutes to go back to a nech task in the Chaos Tunnels would not be fun at all.

4) Soul split: This works ok, but can be tedious to keep flashing through an entire task. Also drains prayer over time. SGS compliments Soul Split flashing quite nicely due to the prayer restore. But you cant use Soul Split on tasks that require protection prayer.

5) Bones to peaches: Tedious method but works ok as long as the NPC you are killing drops bones. Not quite a replacement however if you have to eat peaches mid battle to restore health.

The real shining point of the SGS (And why its the price it is) is boss-hunting.

If you do DK's at all you will know an SGS is, without a doubt, the best use of a special attack there. Claws may steal you kills from crashers, but if your not getting crashed, killing in one attack cycle less does very little for your trip's longevity. SGS on the other hand will add many additional kills not just from the Hp restore but from the prayer restoration.

I do own a SGS and can honestly say I hardly use it on slayer tasks. But when I use it at DK's its worth every GP I spent on it.

Bladewing's "analysis" is nonsense, filled with silly assumptions and completely fabricated numbers.

The SGS is the Swiss army knife of RuneScape weapons -- you certainly don't "need" it, and there are many tools you can use to replace its various functions, but it is an extremely handy all-in-one package. Those who own one know what it can do, and those who don't should really give it a try before deciding whether or not it's worth the money.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Bladewing's "analysis" is nonsense, filled with silly assumptions and completely fabricated numbers.

The SGS is the Swiss army knife of RuneScape weapons -- you certainly don't "need" it, and there are many tools you can use to replace its various functions, but it is an extremely handy all-in-one package. Those who own one know what it can do, and those who don't should really give it a try before deciding whether or not it's worth the money.

I'm not so sure about that. One thing he mentioned is right, you have that 100% special bar, and you either use it to speed up your kills, or heal. But with so many healing methods, SGS has very little use especially if we're talking about slayer. Assuming that a player who can afford a SGS is somewhat decent in his combat stats, majority of the number of slayer tasks can be completed with just bunyip for healing, or a unicorn if you need more, and you speed up your task using DDS/D claws. The only tasks that can justify SGS usage are the ones in a multicombat zone, where you might consider a combat familiar, and heal with SGS.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

The simple truth is that the versatility of the SGS makes it an excellent tool for the average slayer. I'm sure the SGS can become useless, since guthans also became useless for the higher level slayer at one point.

For its price it is really cheap. You buy it, and you sell it, either for a small loss or a small profit. And in the meanwhile you can use it and lend it out.

Soul split - Soul split isn't an alternative because it cost over 100M from scratch, not counting the time spend leveling prayer, and possibly also not counting the costs getting your own gilded altar which speeds up the leveling. I'm personally still 65M gp away from 92 prayer, not counting the loss in time leveling it. I could sell my SGS right now, but I would still have to spend hours and hours leveling prayer first.

B2P - haven't seen any use for it since I last used it 3 years ago or so.

EE - you can't buy it like the SGS. You need to invest time in it. It's therefore not an alternative. I don't have one for instance.

Summoning - SGS is wonderful for summoning. You don't need healing familiars any more for many tasks, which allows for combat familiars to be used.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I'm not so sure about that. One thing he mentioned is right, you have that 100% special bar, and you either use it to speed up your kills, or heal. But with so many healing methods, SGS has very little use especially if we're talking about slayer. Assuming that a player who can afford a SGS is somewhat decent in his combat stats, majority of the number of slayer tasks can be completed with just bunyip for healing, or a unicorn if you need more, and you speed up your task using DDS/D claws. The only tasks that can justify SGS usage are the ones in a multicombat zone, where you might consider a combat familiar, and heal with SGS.

The value of d claws is severely overestimated when it comes to fighting tough critters. It has a nice special but it is still a weak weapon that misses frequently -- you're talking a difference of about 75 points in both accuracy and strength. The SGS also has an undocumented bonus that comes into play in its special that appears to increase damage -- I always get higher hits with the special.

If the goal is speed then it's necessary to look at everything in context. An SGS allows you to cut down on travel and banking time, and to save money on not just supplies but by being able to use a beast of burden to carry drops instead of a healing familiar. You can also use boosting prayers to enhance combat more easily.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The value of d claws is severely overestimated when it comes to fighting tough critters. It has a nice special but it is still a weak weapon that misses frequently -- you're talking a difference of about 75 points in both accuracy and strength. The SGS also has an undocumented bonus that comes into play in its special that appears to increase damage -- I always get higher hits with the special.

If the goal is speed then it's necessary to look at everything in context. An SGS allows you to cut down on travel and banking time, and to save money on not just supplies but by being able to use a beast of burden to carry drops instead of a healing familiar. You can also use boosting prayers to enhance combat more easily.

You're trying a LITTLE too hard when you try to argue that the SGS special can outdamage a D claw special. :rolleyes: Granted I don't have any statistics on my hand, but you can always prove it otherwise.

SGS is a decent tool for Slayer, but I've always consider it at the most an upgrade to enhanced excalibur. For the previous poster, the "average" player isn't going to have 70 million on his hand for one, and the time invested to get one far exceeds the time for say, enhanced excalibur. I consider myself slightly above average, with sufficient cash lying around, but I've never considered specially going to the GE just to get a SGS. If you can get it and you want it, do so. But don't expect it to be amazing more useful your old ways of slaying. Neither is a SGS more useful than skill-based abilities, since SGS or no SGS, you will still want to level your summoning, herblore, and prayer as part of the general gameplay.

The ideal situation is to have all the tools available to you. SGS, D claws, EE, food, familiars, Soul Split....but if I can't afford everything, or have to sacrifice one for another, I'll just sell the SGS without hesitation in exchange for say, a pair of claws + summoning levels.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I've noticed alot of people saying they keep there sgs because they like it , I have nothing agasnt that but in my opionion it seems dated for slayer, people say bunyip is overkill but what is wrong with overkill that saves you loads of money.

The uses of sgs in boss hunting is different, it is amoung the best specs, however a uniorn would still be better. Also comparing it to ee which does no need you to make 2 attacks which have a high chance of missing . In some boss situations you may also prefer ags or claws to kill the boss quicker so you take less damage so need to heal less. The sol is also interesting agasnt meele hybrid bosses as you can either pray agasnt the other form of combat or ss while it is going.

As for saying I cannot afford a sgs that is just trolling, if I have 92+ prayer and 88+summ it's safe to assume I could afford a sgs, as it is I could buy several of them and hardly notice it, but for points I've already made why would i.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

You're trying a LITTLE too hard when you try to argue that the SGS special can outdamage a D claw special. :rolleyes: Granted I don't have any statistics on my hand, but you can always prove it otherwise.

I was under the impression that SGS is not supposed to outdamage claw.

When having a SGS you might not need a healing familiar, clearing up for a BoB giving longer trips. On the other hand, having claws does not mean you have to use a healing familiar above a BoB anyway, since you can load a BoB with any healing and prayer restore you like,clearing it up as you go and still have room for drops. Granted, it depends on what you're fighting, but most monsters are not strong enough by todays standard to make a healing familiar an necessity.

I've noticed alot of people saying they keep there sgs because they like it , I have nothing agasnt that but in my opionion it seems dated for slayer, people say bunyip is overkill but what is wrong with overkill that saves you loads of money.

The uses of sgs in boss hunting is different, it is amoung the best specs, however a uniorn would still be better. Also comparing it to ee which does no need you to make 2 attacks which have a high chance of missing . In some boss situations you may also prefer ags or claws to kill the boss quicker so you take less damage so need to heal less. The sol is also interesting agasnt meele hybrid bosses as you can either pray agasnt the other form of combat or ss while it is going.

As for saying I cannot afford a sgs that is just trolling, if I have 92+ prayer and 88+summ it's safe to assume I could afford a sgs, as it is I could buy several of them and hardly notice it, but for points I've already made why would i.

Just one thing, a SGS is BETTER than EE in terms of healing. Even if you miss both SGS spec, you get a minimum of 100 LP and 5 prayer per spec, for a total of 200 LP and 10 prayer. And I don't think you're that lucky to miss it all the time. So in a situation where you have both EE and SGS, and you're considering which to bring.....you're crazy. (Unless we start on the discussion of which is more useful, free prayer points or free 15% defence boost.....)

Zepheras.png

-F1775