university students

Faux

entry level classes usually fill up very fast, I find the best way to get in them is to email the professor and attend the class even if you cant get it, some people will drop the class after the first exam which opens up spaces. But after your 2nd or 3rd year you should have those problems anymore cause you will be in classes specific to your major and there usually isnt enough student at that level to fill up the roster.

But I only have 1 major so I cant really say anything about double majoring. But I do think internships are more worth while than taking classes, cause not only are u getting paid and some internships pay pretty well, u get really good references from professors or bosses which is really really helpful. Having been in couple internships so far I have to say I already had to ask my previous and current professors for recommendations and references for other internships and volunteering.

The classes I was trying to get into were specific to my major. They were art studio classes reserved for art majors. There were not enough spots in the studio classes to accommodate all lower-division art majors. Enough set backs like this could mean spending an extra year in college. And I do try to work my way into classes once the quarter starts but with studio classes where space is tight, demand is high and there are only 18 people in each studio class, it is next to impossible. Squeezing your way into lectures, on the other hand (at least at my uni), is almost always guaranteed to work.

I definitely agree that internships are a great experience. They can be good pay, and as you said, the references/experience that you can tack on a résumé are nice. But at least as far as the pay is concerned, it's probably better to take summer classes and graduate in 4 years than take an internship, graduate in 5 years and pay another year's worth of tuition D: I'm sure you could fit both into a college career though (summer classes one year or two and an internship another year).

@Nick - Yeah California is terrible right now. The UC schools are well known for having a lot of students who can't graduate in 4 years for the reasons that I described.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classes I was trying to get into were specific to my major. They were art studio classes reserved for art majors. There were not enough spots in the studio classes to accommodate all lower-division art majors. Enough set backs like this could mean spending an extra year in college. And I do try to work my way into classes once the quarter starts but with studio classes where space is tight, demand is high and there are only 18 people in each studio class, it is next to impossible. Squeezing your way into lectures, on the other hand (at least at my uni), is almost always guaranteed to work.

I definitely agree that internships are a great experience. They can be good pay, and as you said, the references/experience that you can tack on a résumé are nice. But at least as far as the pay is concerned, it's probably better to take summer classes and graduate in 4 years than take an internship, graduate in 5 years and pay another year's worth of tuition D: I'm sure you could fit both into a college career though (summer classes one year or two and an internship another year).

@Nick - Yeah California is terrible right now. The UC schools are well known for having a lot of students who can't graduate in 4 years for the reasons that I described.

sorry to hear that, I hope you will have more luck next semester.

bedce0cd19.png

I took this semester off to buy a car, so I'm restarting college in the summer and going all year til I graduate.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Most internships are unpaid, the UC system sucks as far as graduating on time. I believe I heard it takes a student at UCSD 5 or 6 years to finish your undergrade. Most of problem for me is that the class I want to take or need to take are only offered one semester out of the year or are conflicting. Right now I'm on track to get my major, minor, and a cert so as far as my class load goes, I don't have a long of wiggle room, so a summer class will kill an extra elective credit opening up room for a potential class I may need to take in the coming year. Summer courses are more of a safety precaution for me.

I've yet to have any issues with registration though when it comes to classes filling up. Sophomore year was the worst though as you literally get the leftovers as we were the last ones to register but once junior everything turned around and classes were much easier to get into being one of the first to sign up and now going into my senior year in the fall I got first pick of classes after honor students who are able to sign up a week ahead of everyone else.

tFtfA.jpg

I'm currently in my first semester of a LLB/BCA, doing some term papers over the Easter break. The reading load is pretty heavy, so we'll see what happens at the end of the year :mellow: .

Most internships are unpaid, the UC system sucks as far as graduating on time. I believe I heard it takes a student at UCSD 5 or 6 years to finish your undergrade. Most of problem for me is that the class I want to take or need to take are only offered one semester out of the year or are conflicting. Right now I'm on track to get my major, minor, and a cert so as far as my class load goes, I don't have a long of wiggle room, so a summer class will kill an extra elective credit opening up room for a potential class I may need to take in the coming year. Summer courses are more of a safety precaution for me.

I've yet to have any issues with registration though when it comes to classes filling up. Sophomore year was the worst though as you literally get the leftovers as we were the last ones to register but once junior everything turned around and classes were much easier to get into being one of the first to sign up and now going into my senior year in the fall I got first pick of classes after honor students who are able to sign up a week ahead of everyone else.

my friend goes to a university that is heavy on coop. said friend interns for a huge computer company. iirc, she said her brother (same program, school) made 40k/yr doing internship. i never asked what she made, but should be around that ballpark.

My sister is at UCSD. She's double majoring in 3 years without taking any summer credits, no problem. You have slobs that don't sign up for classes early, and those who spend time figuring out what to major in, they're the only ones who need longer than standard, really.

I know I've gotten accepted to many Uni's for the fall as a sophamore, just cause i have enough honor classes in high school.

Basically, if you know when you can enroll, do it fast. it's as simple as buying tickets to concerts: everyone knows when the tickets are put out for sale on the web, just be the first to sign up. Where there's a will, there's a way. Isn't that kinda the point of the whole american system, no effort no gain?

my friend goes to a university that is heavy on coop. said friend interns for a huge computer company. iirc, she said her brother (same program, school) made 40k/yr doing internship. i never asked what she made, but should be around that ballpark.

Thats really good.. In general though, at least what I've seen being a film student, is that 99% of the internships offered are unpaid and it probably has to do with the field that your in because I'm pretty sure most science internships/ research jobs are all paid positions. So all in all I think the whole paid vs. unpaid is really based on the field of work you want to do and that particular industry.

My sister is at UCSD. She's double majoring in 3 years without taking any summer credits, no problem. You have slobs that don't sign up for classes early, and those who spend time figuring out what to major in, they're the only ones who need longer than standard, really.

I know I've gotten accepted to many Uni's for the fall as a sophamore, just cause i have enough honor classes in high school.

Basically, if you know when you can enroll, do it fast. it's as simple as buying tickets to concerts: everyone knows when the tickets are put out for sale on the web, just be the first to sign up. Where there's a will, there's a way. Isn't that kinda the point of the whole american system, no effort no gain?

Wow that is fast in general. I do agree that it does come down to when you sign up for classes. Me personally I sign up the minute it becomes available to me and it has paid off.

tFtfA.jpg

i absolutely hate students, they do my [bleep]ing nut - cocky little [cabbage]s thinking they own the world, love taking them down a peg or two

get a job, do some real work and then see about that swagger

cant believe i'm going back to uni next year, i feel like such a hypocrite

sucks that it took 3 years of manual labor and minimum wage jobs to discover that i care enough about my future to grab some real qualifications

<3 life lessons ;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

What do college students do during the summer time besides either taking classes, working, or doing nothing?

Hey now, playing games all summer is *NOT* nothing!!

:P

I don't actually play games all summer.. I usually get a job *and* play games all summer. Hah.

Indeed. Ill get a full time job when school ends for me (May 7th for me) then when band camp, and other things start up ill go part time to have some money in my pocket.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Sometimes it doesn't matter how fast you are, you can't always be the first to sign up.. I can't speak for all universities, but at mine, if you are a freshman/sophomore, there is a good chance that the classes you want/need will be filled up because juniors/seniors get to sign up before you (and sophomores before freshman). Then within each of those years, the students' sign up appointments are staggered. One freshman may not be able to sign up until 1pm on March 15th, another freshman not until 4pm on March 15th, and a third freshman not until 9am on March 16th.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Sometimes it doesn't matter how fast you are, you can't always be the first to sign up.. I can't speak for all universities, but at mine, if you are a freshman/sophomore, there is a good chance that the classes you want/need will be filled up because juniors/seniors get to sign up before you (and sophomores before freshman). Then within each of those years, the students' sign up appointments are staggered. One freshman may not be able to sign up until 1pm on March 15th, another freshman not until 4pm on March 15th, and a third freshman not until 9am on March 16th.

of course noone can sign up before they can sign up. But if you sign up at the first opportunity you have, and structure what classes you need for your degrees, you will finish in standardized time. At least with my friends, and my sister's friends all over the UC system in particular, never heard of someone who tries who can't do standardized time. You have choices within a degree, so we all get confronted with reality when we realize we can't have everything we want the first semester, or choose only the most popular classes. However, you can always make your degree, and get many of the subjects you want to be a part of that degree.

There would be general outrage if that wasn't the case.

of course noone can sign up before they can sign up. But if you sign up at the first opportunity you have, and structure what classes you need for your degrees, you will finish in standardized time. At least with my friends, and my sister's friends all over the UC system in particular, never heard of someone who tries who can't do standardized time. You have choices within a degree, so we all get confronted with reality when we realize we can't have everything we want the first semester, or choose only the most popular classes. However, you can always make your degree, and get many of the subjects you want to be a part of that degree.

There would be general outrage if that wasn't the case.

:o never heard of that issue. Hopefully it wont apply to me. Anyone know the case at UC Berkeley? Gonna double Major in Math + Something else; probably medical. I've been taught as a kid that the UC's are the greatest things to happen to Indians... -.- Or so I've heard

guido_49.png

Ehh, supposedly.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that if it takes the majority of people 6+ years to finish a 4 year school, then something's wrong. Period.

It's not even about getting the right classes too. There are generally less staff and teachers now than before. Less Freshmen are accepted into college because of this meaning, less people go and are willing to go to college. A terrible setback for advancing the state and the country.

But of course, it's always Sacramento's [bleep]ing problem. Worst roads of the country and worst schools of the country, but lets pay $50 grand a year for prisoners. Yay for pot heads!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

sorry, but this kind of makes you sound like a [bleep] and you're basing this off all on your sister's accomplishment. sometimes, people can't get into a certain course because there's very limited space and have to take it next year. not every school works the same way.

sorry, but this kind of makes you sound like a [bleep] and you're basing this off all on your sister's accomplishment. sometimes, people can't get into a certain course because there's very limited space and have to take it next year. not every school works the same way.

actually, if you would have read my other posts on the thread before replying, you would see i have friends and others, who are the primary source of information i have. My sister is just an example. If someone can DOUBLE major, why can't you single major in the required time? It's not like a photography major isn't popular either... The example simply shows you have plenty of slack in the system, which has nothing to do with the accomplishments of anyone, but with how many classes you can take each semester, and how few classes many people choose to take each semester.

usually, every school provides enough courses for their students. you sign up with a particular major (or undeclared) and they only let you switch your degrees if there are free spaces so you can complete the courses in the time they suggest. That's the same for every school i've ever heard about.

All schools also provide advisors who can help you choose the right classes, and how to choose them so you do fulfill your requirements efficiently, while personalizing the choices to the largest degree possible. It's just about a tad of effort, don't excuse the lazy. The american political system particularly bases itself around that maxim.

again, you might not be able to take all the classes you want to be a part of your degrees, but you can complete your degrees in the required time. if you choose to spend longer, so you get all the classes you want, that's up to you, but it's a conscious choice you make for yourself. it has nothing to do with what the school offers.

I can't help to notice your location is in Norway. Do you live in Norway and your sister's somehow in America studying? Is your family RICH? That discounts all your achievements in this state's college system because if you have money, of course you can get into everything.

But that is what you're wrong about California's schools. They ISN'T enough courses for everybody. You're not talking about a well-funded school system. We're in [cabbage] right now. So please don't say you KNOW how the hell this works; especially if you live in Norway.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

actually, if you would have read my other posts on the thread before replying, you would see i have friends and others, who are the primary source of information i have. My sister is just an example. If someone can DOUBLE major, why can't you single major in the required time? It's not like a photography major isn't popular either... The example simply shows you have plenty of slack in the system, which has nothing to do with the accomplishments of anyone, but with how many classes you can take each semester, and how few classes many people choose to take each semester.

usually, every school provides enough courses for their students. you sign up with a particular major (or undeclared) and they only let you switch your degrees if there are free spaces so you can complete the courses in the time they suggest. That's the same for every school i've ever heard about.

All schools also provide advisors who can help you choose the right classes, and how to choose them so you do fulfill your requirements efficiently, while personalizing the choices to the largest degree possible. It's just about a tad of effort, don't excuse the lazy. The american political system particularly bases itself around that maxim.

again, you might not be able to take all the classes you want to be a part of your degrees, but you can complete your degrees in the required time. if you choose to spend longer, so you get all the classes you want, that's up to you, but it's a conscious choice you make for yourself. it has nothing to do with what the school offers.

what part of not every school is the same don't you understand? and you're assuming everyone here goes to a US university

i'm sorry but your sister double majored in photography and what?

I can't help to notice your location is in Norway. Do you live in Norway and your sister's somehow in America studying? Is your family RICH? That discounts all your achievements in this state's college system because if you have money, of course you can get into everything.

But that is what you're wrong about California's schools. They ISN'T enough courses for everybody. You're not talking about a well-funded school system. We're in [cabbage] right now. So please don't say you KNOW how the hell this works; especially if you live in Norway.

I knew someone would comment on my location sooner or later, and make a host of assumptions about me, my situation and my knowledge.

there is something called an internationally recognized high school diploma. Both of us have graduated the International Baccalaureate program with flying colors, taken the SAT tests, and gotten academic scholarships in the US based on SAT results, and honour credits that all IB courses recieve in America.

I've applied to, and examined the UC system, and other californian schools in particular very thoroughly. I have applied to the public schools, and the privete all over california. my sister has studied at UCSD for three years, I lived in california for a year while my parents were researching there. I KNOW how the system works.

Today is in the global age, i can study at almost any university in the world, with an international diploma. For the heck of it, I aplied to the largest university in Taipei, to a Uni in hong kong, one in Cairo, and one in Sao paulo, just because I can, and my country pays applications fees for me. I'm qualfied for all those universities, and thousands of others all over the world. Why not choose some of the best schools in the world, and get away from the freezing climate of northern scandinavia?

ShadowFaxPZ: Photography and human biology. I'm a norwegian wanting to study in america. That means i have a particular state insitution that provides me free help with regards to how the american schooling system works (our government spends a lot of money). I think they know what they're talking about, as they correct the information the American embassy in norway give out, at the request of the american embassy.

So you basically don't live here.

And you believe everything schools tell you. It's like a commercial, they always say the good stuff.

siggy3s.jpg

In Torts defense those of us that live in America can study abroad in other countries. We aren't just limited to the schools in the US and it doesn't take a lot of effort to learn about different schools. I really don't see the point of this argument to be honest.

tFtfA.jpg

So you basically don't live here.

And you believe everything schools tell you. It's like a commercial, they always say the good stuff.

So i basically have lived there, have a sister and friends who live there, have a government authority in Norway that advises me about schools in a lot of countries all over the world, who therefore have a critical view of the campuses because there are so many i could potentially choose from.

I don't see the commercial in any of that, but i see someone who doesn't want to believe or trust me. that's your choice, but don't rationalize it at my expense.

Stevepole, i think you kinda missed the point: they are arguing their universities cannot offer them the courses to finish in regular time, my experience is VERY different, so different in fact, that it seems to me impossible to blame the general university (there may be some bad apples), rather the students are at fault.

Yes, there is the tangent of my reliability, but hey, when you can't argue your case, why not question the validity of the other person, without presenting counterarguments?