Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

Rainy_Day edit: Please don't be bashful of other fansites, afterall, we all work towards the same cause! Thanks. :) Also, no need to be rude regarding Jagex, an opinion is fine but nothing but rudeness isn't helpful. ;)

Mod Hohbein has posted on Page 6

A snip it from this

How we want to support fan-run sites from now on

We’ve learnt a great deal over the last year or two, and now we want to make it much clearer what we consider when looking at supporting a fansite. So, we’ve created the fansite support programme which has four levels of support.

To keep things simple we called these levels Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Each level unlocks support depending on a number of factors including the size of a fansite, how community orientated they are, and how much they support they offer players:

Bronze

Welcome on board! You may be a big or small fansite, but we have made contact for the first time, and we like the look of your site. We’ll get to know each other, send you the introductory fansite pack, and start talking!

Silver

You’ve clearly put a lot of work into maintaining your website with a number of regularly updated guides and tools. Importantly, you understand the damaging affect Real World Trading adverts have on the game and you actively block/remove these from your website. You’ll have built a strong community around your site and you might have seen an increase in visitors. We’ll give you a helping hand with occasional announcements.

Gold

You offer players an array of useful, frequently updated tools and guides and, as with Silver fansites, you will have built a strong community around your site and may have started to have a real impact on the game’s community. Gold fansite owners not only understand the damaging effect Real World Trading adverts have, but they also understand that gaming adverts push players away from their website and from the game they support, so they actively block/remove these from their website.

In return, you can expect far more support than Silver or Bronze fansites, with regular staff interviews, artwork, and even the occasional scoop! Importantly, you’ll be among the core of fully recognised fansites and we’ll see what we can do to help you grow with professional website advice, advertising support, access to our hidden fansite admin forum and merchandise for competition giveaways.

Hey, we might even invite you over to the Studio! ;)

Platinum

Platinum level fansites are, quite simply, awesome.

They’re often the first websites you think of when you’re after help, events, information, tools or when you’re just looking to get involved in the community! By focussing on keeping their website completely up-to-date while supporting and growing their communities, they manage to attract a huge number of players to their website on a daily basis.

We’ve reserved the majority of exclusive concept art, staff interviews and competition merchandise for these and we’ll work very closely with them to help them grow. To give us a chance to catch up, we’ll also invite Platinum fansite owners to a Jagex jolly once a year!

Recognised Fansites

Now that we’ve explained the four levels of fansite support, it’s time to see who we’re supporting!

Introducing our Platinum level fansites!

RuneHQ (www.runehq.com)

Sal's Realm of RuneScape (www.salmoneus.net)

RSCommunity (German) (www.rscommunity.de)

Gold fansites

Tip.it

Runecrypt.com

Runetower.com

Runehints.com

RSNL.eu (Dutch)

Runepoli.org (Finnish)

Rscave.se (Swedish)

Runebr.com (Portuguese)

Runescape.pc.pl (Polish)

As well as our officially recognised fansites above, we’re working with a number of Silver level fansites with an aim to move them to the Gold level, allowing us to offer them much more support. The Silver fansites we’re currently working with are:

Runevillage

Global-rs

Draynor

Runehead

Rsbandb

Runescapemedia

Runewise

Lunagang.nl (Dutch)

Once again this was found http://[Use Quick Find Code]/sl=0/[Please Use QuickFind Code] QFC 14,15,725,60722617

*dons flame-proof suit*

Hey guys,

Mod Hohbein here - yes, it is me, not a bad man impersonating me. I believe this account will be marked as an official Jagex account shortly. :)

Loads of comments here and I'd really, really like to clear a few things up before I head home for the weekend!

So, first of all - Tip.it is an awesome site. We love it, and we know it's one of the most popular RS fansites in existence. I've been working with a number of members of the admin team since we started supporting Tip.it and we've gone on to build a really strong relationship with the website and individual members of your admin team.

Now, I must ask that you try to understand this from my perspective. I can't go into great detail about the discussions we've had with the Tip.it admin team (or indeed any fansite owner/admin). This leads to me often having to avoid detail when people ask 'hey, why isn't my fansite being supported?!'. This isn't an active attempt to annoy people (as much as it may seem that way) - it's simply because, as a represpentitive of Jagex I can't breach the confidentiality of correspondence between myself and the owners/admin of a fansite. Sometimes I wish I could just explain exactly how it is, but that's something I need to leave up to the fansite owners/admins themselves.

Moving on to the matter at hand. Tip.it are currently at the Gold level of support. The reason for this is that we were noticing a lot of gaming adverts appear on the website. I'm pleased to say though that it looks like the technical admins have made fantastic progress in removing these adverts, to the extent that Tip.it is pretty much completely rid of them. Now, before we decide to move a fansite to 'Platinum', we have to be absolutely positive that there aren't any gaming ads persistently appearing and that the fansite is proactively removing them. So, we're staying in touch with the Tip.it admin chaps, and we're keeping an eye on the website over the next few weeks. Assuming there aren't any major issues/causes for concern, then we'll happily get Tip.it bumped up to Platinum (as yes, you guys meet every other criteria!).

But why gaming adverts? What's wrong with them?

The way we see it is that a big advert for another online game doesn't really have a place on a RuneScape fansite. By offering support to a fansite our aim is to drive more traffic to that fansite, increase its popularity and to help build the community that exists around it and, ultimately help build a bigger and better RuneScape community. In fact we're taking this really seriously - from inviting dedicated fansite owners over to Jagex, to offering free merchandise as giveaways for competitions - we're really putting a lot of time and effort into supporting our fansites. If we start offering a ton of support to a fansite which has adverts for another game plastered all over it (no matter how pretty the lady advertising the game is!) , we'd effectively be aiming to send lots of people to a website which actively advertises another game. This just doesn't make sense, which is why we can only start to offer loads of support to a fansite if they remove all of their RWT and gaming adverts.

We know that removing gaming ads can be tough though, especially when fansites rely on the income generated from those adverts. We do, where applicable, try to support fansites with advertising (whether that's hands on support with us helping manage their ads, or just offering advice and information on how fansites can go about removing gaming ads). If a fansite can remove gaming ads on their own - shweet! If they are really struggling and want our help, no worries, we can look into that too.

So it's nearly an hour after home time and I'm supposed to be going for a curry very shortly, and I'm sure my girlfriend will take great delight in dunking my head in that curry if I'm not home sharpish! So I'd better leave it there and head off.

I hope the above makes sense guys - I'll check back to this thread on Monday and will respond to any questions or anything that are raised.

Cheers,

Hohbein

howlin1eeveesig.png

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto to above- This is the best one overall :D

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I agree with the above. We have some of the most commonly used guides and tools in the fansite circle. A majority of runescript bots use our guides and tools. This is a bit of a stab in the back especially coming after the removal of the gaming adverts shamble recently.

I really am disappointed in them.

I just feel like they have a grudge against us for some reason.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

How is Tipit not platinum? We've got just as much 'raw content' as others. Guides for everything, so many calculators I don't even know what to do! And our community is by far the best out there. Oh, and I thought Sal's was dead.... honestly I haven't heard of anyone using it in years. Anyway, keep up the good work website team! We'll get platinum some day :thumbsup:

Good grief.

There's a first for everything. I agree with this post.

It seems they have seen our frustration, but to repost suddenly saying that we should have specifications like no gaming adverts for their support? Heh. It should either be: Site is helpful, good community, well maintained and does not break rules thus received support, or doesn't do any of that and as such is no support. How are advertisements going to effect them.

/me finds the situation amusing.

Oh and first RS fansite, one of the largest, and we aren't platinum? I see.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Gosh, i remember the days when there would be two or three gold selling adds on every Rune HQ page. That is why I stopped using it. Oh well, I think this serves as a pretty good indicator of how much Jamflegx knows about the Runescape community.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Good grief.

Qeltar, have Jagex ever approached you and runescoop (or truthscape)? Especially with truthscape you actually had a fairly large sized site.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Mmm, follow the same views as all the rest on here - Tip.it's been the site i've used almost exclusively over my years playing RuneScape, finding the other sites bloated, slow and generally unattractive in comparison. It is definitely the first one I turn to - Jagex's ratings are poor. ;) Should be platinum without a doubt.

Has this got something to do with the recent change in Advertisements to be reported?

I am wondering why zybez is out of these lists?

They stood up to Jagex and refused the advert deal that was offered, I believe.

Indeed. I also think if we hadn't recently changed our advertising we would also not be on there. But right now i'm starting to want to just give up and not bother with their fickle lists any more.

zqXeV.jpg

Um how did runehq get platinum? That website is extremely annoying to use, it's slow to load and hard to find things. Can't believe it got platinum and tip.it didn't.

I've never used any of the other platinum sites or even heard of one of them.

Good grief.

Qeltar, have Jagex ever approached you and runescoop (or truthscape)? Especially with truthscape you actually had a fairly large sized site.

TS was never very large, in terms of content or readership, compared to a place like Tip.it. And because much of the site was very critical of Jagex, I was not exactly their favorite destinatioon. In fact, near the end I attracted some rather negative attention.

The new site doesn't really seem to be on their radar. And I doubt it will ever be formally recognized, because I will not take the steps they demand in order to gain that recognition. Even though the money I make off ads wouldn't pay for your morning coffee, as I said in the other discussion, I believe there's an important principle at stake here, and I'm willing to hurt my own business to stand up for it.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Once again Jagex prove they're complete [wagon] with fansites. This ranking system will harm smaller sites and allow them to control what can be shown on sites (adverts for other games ring a bell?).

asrhasrh.jpg

That ad been there since I first starting Runescape Fansites (Around 2006)

Unspam: I was using RuneHQ first, then I found out, their information were too boring, then I skipped to Tip.It. Great friends, detailed information and interesting forums. :thumbup:

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

wow.

Like many many many firms, they are not considering 'fan' sites that talk about their product/games very well in the first time (while they are growing to a certain level).

Then come the time those are still here and product/games are still a success... with more and more audition.... but fan site are still here and often point some help that official sites can't since official support is limited to product/games and fans aren't.

After some time and some contact, we comes in current situation : better doing with than against since our customers also read fan site and those help use to offer a wide audition on the net.

From the results of the contacts (some fans have high memories, some can evolve, other not), some fan sites are "supported" like those in the list.

IRL, links to official forums through ads are negociated and helps in currency are offered as a "support".

Fan site admins are free to "pass to the other" camp or not. All in all nothing changes a lots since unless Firm start to moderate the teams (who have a moral debt on help recieved).

If anyone see here some bad things, stay cool. Nothing really change. Most of the times it shows that both Firm and Fan/unofficial site have reach a mature relation.

For Complot seekers, this it a way for firms to "control" the fan sites and divide those.

Most of the time it's a way for firms to reward those devoted customers who spent their time (and money) for free advertising through th years.

Considering Tip.it position, i'm shocked.

I've also used the platinium sites for years too and i allways end on tip.it so my palm come here.

A opportunity to congratulate people here for all that amazing help they brought.

Oh baby light the dark side...