Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

What I don't get is...

~~~~snippet removed~~~~

If this change does not affect the revenue, why change it only now? Why not change it in the first place, if it really does not affect revenue??

Also in addition to peters post

We wanted to clarify other things such as the video game forum and wow thread and other content before jumping in head first ignorantly making a mistake.

Good :) That is nice to know that you took the time to do research without jumping on-board. As long as content is not being sacrificed, nor censored due to this update, I feel the partnership can only be a good thing.

I just didn't understand the whole picture, but now i feel I at least understand more of it to suppress any worries I had.

PS. It's hard to post, lots of people posting so fast :o

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what took Tip.It so long? If Jagex clearly stated that??

We wanted to make sure every option was considered, we do not rush into anything blind or overly happy. Things like this must be carefully considered as many factors are in play, I'd rather have pages and pages and pages of information and start off as gold then have 0 pages and start off at platinum blind and ignorant.

As for why peter cannot say more -

Business stuff usually requires both parties to sign a Non-Disclosure agreement, so there are legal reasons why we cannot talk in detail about everything.

We did carefully make this decision.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Mage isn't legally allowed to say what other options there were. Methinks that Jagex is the one holding the legality issue over us. If not for that, I think that he would say if someone wasn't stopping him. :geek:

Something still seems kind of fishy here...to me atleast.

OT: Love your new signature, lmao. Nothing beats protesting sarcasticly. Even though I kind of disagree with you...

Mage isn't legally allowed to say what other options there were. Methinks that Jagex is the one holding the legality issue over us. If not for that, I think that he would say if someone wasn't stopping him. :geek:

Theres really nothing insidious or fishy to smell really.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Das, can you at least tell me who was the one that asked for the NDA?

Cause I gots an ideas. :rolleyes:

We don't have any reason to request an NDA, it's a typical business thing though, nothing unusual about it.

just out of interest and because i can't remember, who is in final control of tip.it, or owns it? or is it more owned by one person and control is down to the admins?

I presume it's not lightning anymore, but i don't really know

Silverion has the final say although admins deal with the day to day running.

Theres really nothing insidious or fishy to smell really.

I think I'll stick to my conspiracy-theories despite that, no offence. My instinct just goes against it for some reason.

[hide=OT]Das, pwetty pwease look at my PM :P. Sorry for nagging.[/hide]

After getting a bigger picture, from Hohbein and the Tip.it Admins, i reckon Tip.it made the correct decision. They didn't "sell out". Jagex offered some different content in return for the gaming ads to be removed, which seems like a fair compromise. Good to see the community come together and challenge the decisions. The admins know their stuff and have the community's best interests at heart.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I trust Das (and the other admins) judgment, which is the only reason that I'm bot going to say anything negative about this. I personally don't think the rankings are worth anything at all. Tip.it survived without Jagex "approval" for years and would be fine without it now.

I'm probably biased however, as someone who doesn't play Runescape and spends so much time on a runescape forum. I just think what is best for the site should be far more important than Jagex threatening to knock us down a level.

Like I said before, I trust the admins will do the right thing and have put quite a bit of thought into making sure that this deal is nothing but beneficial to the site.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

After getting a bigger picture, from Hohbein and the Tip.it Admins, i reckon Tip.it made the correct decision. They didn't "sell out". Jagex offered some different content in return for the gaming ads to be removed, which seems like a fair compromise. Good to see the community come together and challenge the decisions. The admins know their stuff and have the community's best interests at heart.

Personally, I don't think the Admins did wrong, at all. I'm all for their decision, because of it's benefits, and would have done the same thing myself.

What I am against, is Jagex's request. It seems unreasonable to me, is all. I'd agree to it if I had the choice, only because the penalty (according to Admins' posts) isn't anything too harsh.

And that post totally destroyed my 1337 postcount <_< ....

I trust Das (and the other admins) judgment, which is the only reason that I'm bot going to say anything negative about this. I personally don't think the rankings are worth anything at all. Tip.it survived without Jagex "approval" for years and would be fine without it now.

I'm probably biased however, as someone who doesn't play Runescape and spends so much time on a runescape forum. I just think what is best for the site should be far more important than Jagex threatening to knock us down a level.

Like I said before, I trust the admins will do the right thing and have put quite a bit of thought into making sure that this deal is nothing but beneficial to the site.

In the same way that I vote for a candidate who'll tax someone and give me the money is both beneficial to me and the politician? I get money and he gets a vote. :thumbup:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I've never even heard of several of those fan-sites before, and who cares if Tipit is even recognized by Jagex as an official fan-site at all? I think their going about fansite support all the wrong way.

-1 Jagex.

On another note, its always nice to have posts from Jagex Employees. I think they should post on fan-sites regularly whether they make their list or not.

6he242p.jpg

"Be Excellent To Each Other"

In the same way that I vote for a candidate who'll tax someone and give me the money is both beneficial to me and the politician? I get money and he gets a vote. :thumbup:

I'm not sure I understand the analogy you're making there. Assuming Jagex is offering something better than just our name under the word "Platinum", it's a logical deal. We gain content for removing advertisements that the Admins have assured us won't lose revenue, Jagex get what they're asking for even if it is a bit ridiculous. The only taking that's occurring is the taking possible new users form the companies that tip.it is no longer advertising for, and frankly I don't really give a damn about them to be completely honest. Besides, it's not like tip.it is where these companies are getting all of their players from, I'm sure they won't even know or care about the fact that we're no longer advertising their services.

The only real negative would be if Jagex tried to censor content, which they won't do, ever. And if they try it I'm sure the admins won't be too happy.

I feel like I lost the original discussion. What was I saying?

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I'm not sure I understand the analogy you're making there. Assuming Jagex is offering something better than just our name under the word "Platinum", it's a logical deal. We gain content for removing advertisements that the Admins have assured us won't lose revenue, Jagex get what they're asking for even if it is a bit ridiculous. The only taking that's occurring is the taking possible new users form the companies that tip.it is no longer advertising for, and frankly I don't really give a damn about them to be completely honest. Besides, it's not like tip.it is where these companies are getting all of their players from, I'm sure they won't even know or care about the fact that we're no longer advertising their services.

The only real negative would be if Jagex tried to censor content, which they won't do, ever. And if they try it I'm sure the admins won't be too happy.

I feel like I lost the original discussion. What was I saying?

I think that's what she meant with her analogy (bolded part). If it is, I can't say I disagree.

The original issue many of us have is the method for which Jagex determines the rankings. We also have an issue with what Tip.it has done to improve those ratings. I in particular have an issue with Jagex trying to have a say in what any fansite does in any manner, and am extremely peeved off their treatment of Zybez.

On another note, anyone think Jagex is secretly run by Vogons?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

The original issue many of us have is the method for which Jagex determines the rankings. We also have an issue with what Tip.it has done to improve those ratings. I in particular have an issue with Jagex trying to have a say in what any fansite does in any manner, and am extremely peeved off their treatment of Zybez.

On another note, anyone think Jagex is secretly run by Vogons?

I can check for you if you have the correct forms.

I don't think people here would be more prone to clicking evony ads that ads about syfilis.

Evony Ads - you underestimate young teen males who like cleavage.

My question is...if removing the adverts only got us to gold, what are we having to sacrifice for platinum?

Nothing, we will be platinum in a months time or so.

Something's gotta give...why don't they just make us platinum now? They know we deserve it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I don't think people here would be more prone to clicking evony ads that ads about syfilis.

Evony Ads - you underestimate young teen males who like cleavage.

My question is...if removing the adverts only got us to gold, what are we having to sacrifice for platinum?

Nothing, we will be platinum in a months time or so.

Something's gotta give...why don't they just make us platinum now? They know we deserve it.

They're just making sure the adverts are perfectly clean.

Bingo.

They're just making sure the adverts are perfectly clean.

Yep, we are doing *nothing* more for platinum.

Abraham Lincoln

Thanks to the admin team for working so hard for Jagex recognition.

And thanks to the whole staff for making Tip it such a comprehensive help site.

Platinum here we come.

We wanted to clarify other things such as the video game forum and wow thread and other content before jumping in head first ignorantly making a mistake.

I don't know what's most amazing about this statement:

1. That you would non-chalantly make it and apparently not think it's a big deal;

2. That you would say it in the same thread where you said Jagex wouldn't have influence over site content;

3. That 90% of the people here don't care about this, or anything else, as long as Tip.it gets its name on the marquee ("platinum").

Quite depressing.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Sal's? RuneHQ? Platinum? Really?

Cmon..

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Mod Hohbein, hoping you have had the patience to rummage through the crap in this thread after your post and have made it this far. I think bigger than anything, the users of these forums would like to have Jagex employees have interactions like you just did with these forums. I personally, and believe that alot agree with me, that having posts made by Jagex mods on these forums are better to have than concept art. Maybe you could even persuade a few of the other Jagex mod accounts on these forums to dust off and post again.

The only thing i don't fully understand is why Tip.it has been held at the gold level when Jagex has been supportive of them in the past. I believe at one point, Tip.it was mentioned on the offical site, showing that both parties should have some built partnership regardless of what has happend inbetween.

PS If i'm wrong about Tip.it being mentioned on the official site, someone correct me and i'll fix that part of my post when i get done with work.

swordwarior.png

Okay I was taking a month or so away from the game and fansites but I got told about this topic, RuneScapes first fansite, gold?! Runevillage Zybez and Tip.it have been here an eternity and actually helped to develop players more so then recent fansites taht have got platinum status, but I guess the usefulness of website the quality of content doesn't count for anything, more so of what fansites the Jmods go to wow.

With recent content and now this I'm actually glad I'm considering retirement.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png