Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

Man I'm shocked that Tip.it didn't reach platinum level. I've never even heard of the 3rd platinum one, the german RScommunity.de. If Jagex are simply using adverts as the main criteria for selecting support-worthy fansites, then I really doubt their knowledge of fansites in general. Where's Runescape Wiki? Where's Zybez? Two of the best sites for Runescape info, apart from Tip.it ofcourse, and they leave them out altogether. Sometimes the degree of incompetence of Jagex employees amazes me. This is one of those times. :wall:

This could have been done a whole lot differently. I imagine they probably had a few more suiting ideas for how a fansite support system would start to work. And yet, they still picked the wrong concept, the wrong sites and the wrong criteria to judge with. I'm not sure they have even analyzed many of these sites thoroughly and on a regular basis. A simple browse for "unfit advertisements" is not enough. :roll:

I hope this list is re-written. Soon.

As said by Requiem; Runescape Wiki staff is absolutely rude and terrible! Not to mention it's a WIKI, it can edited by anyone thus open for trolls.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m suprised to see that Runescapewiki is not there.

I'm not. RuneScape Wikia's community and staff is terrible, and in some cases: rude. Trust me, I worked there for a few months.

It probably isn't up there aswell cause it can be edited by anyone - thus it's susceptible to trolls.

runewiki's idea of an april fools' joke was a badly photoshopped image of andrew gower on the mainpage. no surprise at all

Man I'm shocked that Tip.it didn't reach platinum level. I've never even heard of the 3rd platinum one, the german RScommunity.de. If Jagex are simply using adverts as the main criteria for selecting support-worthy fansites, then I really doubt their knowledge of fansites in general. Where's Runescape Wiki? Where's Zybez? Two of the best sites for Runescape info, apart from Tip.it ofcourse, and they leave them out altogether. Sometimes the degree of incompetence of Jagex employees amazes me. This is one of those times. :wall:

This could have been done a whole lot differently. I imagine they probably had a few more suiting ideas for how a fansite support system would start to work. And yet, they still picked the wrong concept, the wrong sites and the wrong criteria to judge with. I'm not sure they have even analyzed many of these sites thoroughly and on a regular basis. A simple browse for "unfit advertisements" is not enough. :roll:

Actually Zybez has been blacklisted for not falling to their knees in worship of the almighty Jagex and not doing what they were told to do.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Actually Zybez has been blacklisted for not falling to their knees in worship of the almighty Jagex and not doing what they were told to do.

Then why should WE fall to our knees for the almighty JaGeX?

94qbe.jpg

Then why should WE fall to our knees for the almighty JaGeX?

The benefit would be greater I guess, I mean I doubt the admins will agree to this if this hurt hurt the finance. Although I am sure if the admins ask for donation they would probably receive a great deal. I am pretty sure W13 did not accept to the terms because they cannot run the site without those ads or something.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

MHL may be brash and not politically correct, but at least she's honest.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

True, I hate to agree with MHL and her choice of words are a bit harsh, but she is right on this one.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Honest here - how many people complaining about advertisements being removed for games use Adblock?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Why should we let JaGeX control our ads? For some stupid perks?

There's absolutely no reason why they should do this! We are a community, we are not property of JaGeX. In my eyes these perks seem more malignant than beneficial.

94qbe.jpg

It's mighty fine for you Hohbein to post here, great to know that you're looking and paying attention to the sites you support (y)

Obviously everyone has a different opinion on this matter, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if I just ask one thing, is that we don't criticize and belittle other fansites. While most people posting here will generally prefer Tip.It (as it is the Tip.It forums), out of decency and respect for the other fansites, can we quit saying stuff like "why is xxx platinum?" and "their content is terrible"? That's just plain not nice, and is rather disrespectful of the time and effort the other fansites have put into their respective sites.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

That's pretty much the crux of the matter. You can think it was worth it or it wasn't, and I think it wasn't, but Tip.it absolutely sold out.

And while you may think I'm brash and politically incorrect, I have to say thank you, I try real hard. :wink:

And Das, we're debating a principal here, regardless of Adblock.

Not honest, just outspoken.

Outspoken *and* honest. A combination that often results in the person doing it getting a lot of flak -- trust me, I know.

The decision here is the Tip.it admins' to make. But it is undeniable that they *have* decided to let Jagex tell them what ads to run on their site in order to appease the company and get perks.

I started my first web site and ran my first ads in 1997. In 13.5 years, I have never before heard of a company telling a fan site of ANY sort what ads it was allowed to run merely to have its existence acknowledged.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Honest here - how many people complaining about advertisements being removed for games use Adblock?

Me, and I'm not complaining. I'm happy with whatever the Admins want.

Ah way to not have an opinion and believe what you're told. Let me ask, do you vote Democrat too? :rolleyes:

There is more to it than that, however I am not allowed to say. I can assure you that nothing sinister is going on and it's very "behind the scenes". Jagex are not going to make us change actual content on our site, they're not going to get us to censor posts they don't like or anything like that.

Yes, removing advertising for other games is part of it, however it's not the full story. As Peter said, we should be Platinum soon and then maybe people can stop complaining.

It isn't about wether tip it has platinum or not. It's about why we were ranked below rhq and sals from the beginning.

Exactly, this is a direct snub and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would like the know why its happening.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Ah way to not have an opinion and believe what you're told. Let me ask, do you vote Democrat too? :rolleyes:

No I don't vote, yet. I'm underage.

Besides, I'd rather conform then cause hassle.

I also believe the fairies come at night and take my teeth away and give me money. Is that a problem?

And what has that got to do with this thread. This is about RuneScape. Not IRL. Not that scary place outside my window.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

I doubt anybody here actually cares about removing the ads itself, to be honest less ads=good. The problem most of us are having is that Tip.it has to give much a portion of its income in order to receive Jagex support(thus indirectly letting Jagex taking control). Now I doubt Jagex will one day completely take over Tip, it is just annoying to see something so trivial can cause a website to lose support.

11-1.jpg[

Yes, because if you vote democrat you're not capable of critical thought. Let's not drag politics into this, yeah? It's really not pertinent to the discussion at all.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

Right, cause you know if you are a liberal you are a mindless sheep. Take it to OT MHL.

11-1.jpg[

I started my first web site and ran my first ads in 1997. In 13.5 years, I have never before heard of a company telling a fan site of ANY sort what ads it was allowed to run merely to have its existence acknowledged.

If letting Jagex control our ad's for acknowledgment, which comes with both positive and negative effects, then I say nay.

I feel like this will soon give Jagex to much control over our community and in the near future it will result problems. We shouldn't let Jagex take control of us, no matter how small of a control it is.

94qbe.jpg

Somehow, this feels like Tip it has become a bratty teenager with sacked pants, kicking the walls because he doesn't understand why the teacher said he shouldn't sleep in class.

I'm all for not being pushed around and not kissing [wagon], but there's a big difference between drawing the line at the right time and to not even dare take the first step. I mean, This is hardly something that will make us their [bleep]es.

Actually, no they weren't blacklisted for that.

While I can't go into details, you do not have all of the information about that, and making statements like that when you don't have the evidence to back it up is quite silly.