Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fansite Support (Re-launch)

• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
Honest here - how many people complaining about advertisements being removed for games use Adblock?
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

Wizz
[ Display Name History ]

Wizz

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,979 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Wizz K
  • RSN2:Fampster
Why should we let JaGeX control our ads? For some stupid perks?
There's absolutely no reason why they should do this! We are a community, we are not property of JaGeX. In my eyes these perks seem more malignant than beneficial.
Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

Posted Image

SomeWelshGuy
[ Display Name History ]

SomeWelshGuy

Expert Topicbender

• Members
  • 1,729 posts
It's mighty fine for you Hohbein to post here, great to know that you're looking and paying attention to the sites you support (y)

Obviously everyone has a different opinion on this matter, and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if I just ask one thing, is that we don't criticize and belittle other fansites. While most people posting here will generally prefer Tip.It (as it is the Tip.It forums), out of decency and respect for the other fansites, can we quit saying stuff like "why is xxx platinum?" and "their content is terrible"? That's just plain not nice, and is rather disrespectful of the time and effort the other fansites have put into their respective sites.
Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Me_Hate_Libs
[ Display Name History ]

Me_Hate_Libs

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,545 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
That's pretty much the crux of the matter. You can think it was worth it or it wasn't, and I think it wasn't, but Tip.it absolutely sold out.

And while you may think I'm brash and politically incorrect, I have to say thank you, I try real hard. :wink:

And Das, we're debating a principal here, regardless of Adblock.
This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Wingless
[ Display Name History ]

Wingless

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • RSN:Nephilim

Honest here - how many people complaining about advertisements being removed for games use Adblock?

Me, and I'm not complaining. I'm happy with whatever the Admins want.

Posted Image

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

MHL may be brash and not politically correct, but at least she's honest.

Not honest, just outspoken.

Outspoken *and* honest. A combination that often results in the person doing it getting a lot of flak -- trust me, I know.

The decision here is the Tip.it admins' to make. But it is undeniable that they *have* decided to let Jagex tell them what ads to run on their site in order to appease the company and get perks.

I started my first web site and ran my first ads in 1997. In 13.5 years, I have never before heard of a company telling a fan site of ANY sort what ads it was allowed to run merely to have its existence acknowledged.
Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok
Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!
Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!
Posted Image

Me_Hate_Libs
[ Display Name History ]

Me_Hate_Libs

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Ah way to not have an opinion and believe what you're told. Let me ask, do you vote Democrat too? :rolleyes:

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie

There is more to it than that, however I am not allowed to say. I can assure you that nothing sinister is going on and it's very "behind the scenes". Jagex are not going to make us change actual content on our site, they're not going to get us to censor posts they don't like or anything like that.

Yes, removing advertising for other games is part of it, however it's not the full story. As Peter said, we should be Platinum soon and then maybe people can stop complaining.

It isn't about wether tip it has platinum or not. It's about why we were ranked below rhq and sals from the beginning.

Exactly, this is a direct snub and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would like the know why its happening.

PM me in game anytime

Wingless
[ Display Name History ]

Wingless

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • RSN:Nephilim

Ah way to not have an opinion and believe what you're told. Let me ask, do you vote Democrat too? :rolleyes:

No I don't vote, yet. I'm underage.
Besides, I'd rather conform then cause hassle.

I also believe the fairies come at night and take my teeth away and give me money. Is that a problem?

And what has that got to do with this thread. This is about RuneScape. Not IRL. Not that scary place outside my window.

Posted Image

Guthorm
[ Display Name History ]

Guthorm

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,313 posts
  • RSN:The Awesome
  • Clan:Retired but hoping to come back one day

I doubt anybody here actually cares about removing the ads itself, to be honest less ads=good. The problem most of us are having is that Tip.it has to give much a portion of its income in order to receive Jagex support(thus indirectly letting Jagex taking control). Now I doubt Jagex will one day completely take over Tip, it is just annoying to see something so trivial can cause a website to lose support.
Posted Image[
Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Glove
[ Display Name History ]

Glove

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • RSN:Glove

Yes, because if you vote democrat you're not capable of critical thought. Let's not drag politics into this, yeah? It's really not pertinent to the discussion at all.
Posted Image

Guthorm
[ Display Name History ]

Guthorm

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,313 posts
  • RSN:The Awesome
  • Clan:Retired but hoping to come back one day

Right, cause you know if you are a liberal you are a mindless sheep. Take it to OT MHL.
Posted Image[
Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Wizz
[ Display Name History ]

Wizz

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,979 posts
  • RSN:Sir Wizz K
  • RSN2:Fampster

I started my first web site and ran my first ads in 1997. In 13.5 years, I have never before heard of a company telling a fan site of ANY sort what ads it was allowed to run merely to have its existence acknowledged.

If letting Jagex control our ad's for acknowledgment, which comes with both positive and negative effects, then I say nay.
I feel like this will soon give Jagex to much control over our community and in the near future it will result problems. We shouldn't let Jagex take control of us, no matter how small of a control it is.
Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

Posted Image

mega_vegeta6
[ Display Name History ]

mega_vegeta6

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Somehow, this feels like Tip it has become a bratty teenager with sacked pants, kicking the walls because he doesn't understand why the teacher said he shouldn't sleep in class.

I'm all for not being pushed around and not kissing [wagon], but there's a big difference between drawing the line at the right time and to not even dare take the first step. I mean, This is hardly something that will make us their [bleep]es.

MageUK
[ Display Name History ]

MageUK

Behind You

• Administrators
  • 2,371 posts
  • RSN:Pure_MageUK

Actually Zybez has been blacklisted for not falling to their knees in worship of the almighty Jagex and not doing what they were told to do.

Actually, no they weren't blacklisted for that.

While I can't go into details, you do not have all of the information about that, and making statements like that when you don't have the evidence to back it up is quite silly.

mega_vegeta6
[ Display Name History ]

mega_vegeta6

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

There is more to it than that, however I am not allowed to say. I can assure you that nothing sinister is going on and it's very "behind the scenes". Jagex are not going to make us change actual content on our site, they're not going to get us to censor posts they don't like or anything like that.

Yes, removing advertising for other games is part of it, however it's not the full story. As Peter said, we should be Platinum soon and then maybe people can stop complaining.

It isn't about wether tip it has platinum or not. It's about why we were ranked below rhq and sals from the beginning.

Exactly, this is a direct snub and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would like the know why its happening.

Page 6, please.

Sentry_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Sentry_Wolf

Follower Of The Crate

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
Agreed, despite all that has been said, I think we all do appreciate in our own subtle ways that Hohbein has taken the time out to give us a Jagex-stance in this situation. I also believe we all thank our Administrative Team to reply to our concerns and I am heartening agreeing with Das that its wonderful to show how much Tip.it Pride there is in our community.

On an attempted Objective view to the Advertisement Debates, from Jagex and the Admin's to the Users of Tip.it, there is valid points from both oppositions and I believe its one that neither side will ever be able to agree on, at least there will always be some people who disagree. I still have my own opinion that I find it rather silly on that there is an act of advertisement censorship, but I can understand Jagex on why they feel the need for this.

It also right to say I think, that it is a little over hostile, we have nothing to worry about for the moment but I can also guarantee myself hopping on the bandwagon for revenge if there are any hidden agendas attempted to put into play. But for now I will enjoy the purposed benefits that are coming into play.

Even though it may not be the best thing in your eyes (I detested it at first, even though I'm still highly spectacle of the system I'm slowly growing to accept that it will be there - not that it will dramatically change our lives either.) you might as well count your blessings. I don't really understand how Tip.it removing other gaming adverts classifies them as sell-outs? Yes, I may think its a bit silly, but its not a cry for Jagex support either. It's a small 'price' to pay so we can be discussed in-game, whats the problem with that? It's Admins trying to fight for our rights, not go against us. :)

Personally I do hope we get to see Jagex Employees posting around here more often, it would be kind of cool to see explanations for new gaming content which we might debate over X and Y problems. If I also dare ask Hohbein, I am a little confused on the adverts that can be found on the RuneScape Website which can be a different game. (World of Warcraft, I also dare take as an example.)

I was also wrong to nearly bash sites for saying why they should or should not be Platinum for their use of advertisements. RuneHQ have a great site full of content and I always loved Sals homely and nostalgic flare it really is heartwarming. While I can understand Zybez not being up their in the ranks, it is also a shame and it is a genuine pity that they can't be noticed. :(

Me_Hate_Libs
[ Display Name History ]

Me_Hate_Libs

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Yes, because if you vote democrat you're not capable of critical thought. Let's not drag politics into this, yeah? It's really not pertinent to the discussion at all.

Well, both sides have droves of people that tell them how to vote. It was just a cheeky joke mostly. I don't want to deleve into the realm of politics. Both sides have mindless sheep. I said Dems because a large portion vote Democratic as they get more out of it, i.e. Social Security, Food Stamps, Welfare, and other handouts. This is much the same as Tip doing what they're told for the extra perks. That's why I said Dems because it better resembled the situation. I personally vote Libertarian most of the time.

Anyway, since we sold out, can I ask what we're getting out of it? Is Hob posting here one of the benefits? :thumbup:

And Pure, I went out of my way to asking W_13 about it and that's basically the answer he gave me. Now I admit that I paraphrased it in my own way, but that's the way it was summed up. I said earlier that I wouldn't go more into it untul I knew more about it. I went out of my way to find out more. I did my homework. I'm not talking out of my butt here.

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
Lets NOT bring politics in this.

~Das

Registered Independent because I believe whoever blindly follows either party is sheep :P
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

rangeor
[ Display Name History ]

rangeor

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Range 0r
  • Clan:SODB
You guys are acting like toddlers. This isn't at all an overthrow of the admin's power over tip.it, and tip.it didn't "sell out." Jagex asked us to remove some ads for an understandable financial cause, and we complied. THAT'S IT. Stop being dramatic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users