Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

So, in the link to Zybez someone posted a bit back, W13 said that they lost 80% of ad revenue from removing RWT ads. My question is, how much will TIPIT be losing/gaining from this deal? I don't know how much money it takes to run this site, I really don't care too much (although seeing the numbers could be interesting), but I certainly don't want the quality to have to go down. If I could, I would donate to TIPIT with paypal, but being a student I've got more then enough real life debt to take care of first....maybe one day when I'm a millionaire I can donate my private yacht for a staff outing or somehing :rolleyes:

EDIT: This was answered 2 posts up.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just talked to two J-Mods in the past half hour, one through email and one on the phone, and both of them didn't agree with the rading of official rankings for influence on a gaming site. They both work in content though so take that for what it's worth.

Das, just saying if we were gonna go that route we could've gotten more. :P

Ok, no offense, but I find that VERY hard to believe the fact you know two personally.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I just talked to two J-Mods in the past half hour, one through email and one on the phone, and both of them didn't agree with the rading of official rankings for influence on a gaming site. They both work in content though so take that for what it's worth.

Das, just saying if we were gonna go that route we could've gotten more. :P

I dont see how you can loathe them so much when they obviously care....

EDIT: Regarding Zybez, arent they advertising for RWT? How could anyone be surprised that Jagex doesn't endorse that?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Yews, that was last year and they were able to get ad revenue from other advertisers. However most of them advertised other games. If they didn't advertise other games they'd have no one left willing to. Zybez had no choice in the matter. If was do what they were told and go out of business, or do what they did and get blacklisted.

Grom, one I met many, many years ago and have mantained a online friendship since then. The other one I met through an outside site and just by chance they worked at Jagex, amprobability Field I suspect. :rolleyes:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Did 3_Hit_U take over your brain or something?

asrhasrh.jpg

I've been using Google ads since they started... I think April 2004 is when I served my first ads. I still use AdSense to serve ads, and AdWords to buy ads to serve on other sites.

I simply can't conceive of how Tip.it can block a percentage of the companies that want to advertise here and not have it affect their revenues. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but the number of companies that want to market real products to gaming fans is pretty low to begin with.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Now I don't normally post on threads, I tend to just read them, and I have to say, TipIt has a wonderful community, and a real variety of opinions and personalities, which of course is very important, especially when updates are released, it allows people to get a better view of how the update affects different people. TipIt is my personal favourite fansite, but there are other fansites, and they too are often well laid out and informative just like TipIt. And after a quick read of some of the other sites listed high up on the ranks, I have to say they are quite respectable, and as with all fansites, for them to simply produce all these guides, calculators etc, it's brilliant for these sites to be recognised by Jagex.

Now, I can see both sides of the view, but in my opinion, the positives far outweigh the negatives that people have mentioned. A real benefit of the fansite support, and is proved by Mod Hohbein posting here, is the potential for greater inclusion by Jagex staff, and getting their opinions on updates and what they think of the site. It will be great for the TipIt Community to communicate with the Jagex Staff.

I don't claim to be an expert on running a website, but I feel that the Admins are doing the best for the site, and I personally do not see what the problem with removing other game ads from the site are, another ad will replace it surely?

Besides, I'm sure a number of people use ad-blockers so they are unaffected from adverts, and the removal of adverts will make little difference.

On a closing note, a month is not that long until the review date, and unless the new skill comes out in that time frame, what difference will it make being gold as opposed to platinum for this first month of this new system?

So, congratulations TipIt guide writers, admin, and the community as a whole, this is something to be proud of, not to complain about.

Did 3_Hit_U take over your brain or something?

Believe it or not I'm able to maintain personal and professional relationship with people. It's not something I go into detail much, but I know I have mentioned it before to a few people, such as Ezkaton.

I've been using Google ads since they started... I think April 2004 is when I served my first ads. I still use AdSense to serve ads, and AdWords to buy ads to serve on other sites.

I simply can't conceive of how Tip.it can block a percentage of the companies that want to advertise here and not have it affect their revenues. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but the number of companies that want to market real products to gaming fans is pretty low to begin with.

We get money paid based on page views, not click throughs. So even if gaming ads are removed, another ad will just take it's place and make no difference.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

What I don't get is...

If Tip.It's revenue does not change by agreeing to remove the gaming adverts, why wasn't that done a lot ealier?

I don't remember who said that (a staff), but he/she said that (if this ranking system existed back then) Tip.It's "ranking" changed from platinum to silver a long time ago because Tip.It was sitting on the fence for too long not deciding whether or not to remove these ads. Why??

If this change does not affect the revenue, why change it only now? Why not change it in the first place, if it really does not affect revenue??

There is more to it than that, however I am not allowed to say. I can assure you that nothing sinister is going on and it's very "behind the scenes". Jagex are not going to make us change actual content on our site, they're not going to get us to censor posts they don't like or anything like that.

Yes, removing advertising for other games is part of it, however it's not the full story. As Peter said, we should be Platinum soon and then maybe people can stop complaining.

It isn't about wether tip it has platinum or not. It's about why we were ranked below rhq and sals from the beginning.

Exactly, this is a direct snub and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would like the know why its happening.

Page 6, please.

Ok, so it is because we had adverts for other games? A bit hypocritical, maybe I should start taking screenshots of the ads F2P have to watch. In the end the whole ads deal isn't what matters. I feel like there has to be more to it then what ads this site has. The way I see it is that Rune HQ used to support RWT in their ads and now they are a "platinum" fansite however Tip.It always respected Jagex rules to a greater extent then any other site and now we are gold. For heavens sake Rune HQ has videos for other games on their website right now. I'm not attacking Rune HQ I just want to use it as an example of what Jagex is accepting over Tip.It. Even if the ads are all there is too this whole deal then if you ask me Jagex is making too big a deal out of it by snubbing Tip.It like this. It is as though they are asserting their dominance through this ranking system or something.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Believe it or not I'm able to maintain personal and professional relationship with people. It's not something I go into detail much, but I know I have mentioned it before to a few people, such as Ezkaton.

Haha i'm not questioning your ability to do anything, I think. It's just when people go "I speak to Jagex Mods" to me it always seems as if the person is showing off in some capacity that they are 'in' with Jagex.

Anyway.

I still would like to know if the Community Management created this ranking system themselves (I doubt), or whether upper management had a hand in it (*COUGH* MMG)

Bring Back Iddison.

asrhasrh.jpg

We get money paid based on page views, not click throughs. So even if gaming ads are removed, another ad will just take it's place and make no difference.

With all due respect, I don't think it's this simple.

First, you guys just entirely removed Google Ads. These are entirely CTR based, so even if it's true now that you aren't paid based on clicks, it's because all of that potential revenue has been foregone.

Second, impression-based ad networks are a competitive market: the companies bid to get the right to run ads. The amount they are willing to bid is based largely on CTR.

Third, if you block a big chunk of potential advertisers from your site, then you are going to lose at least some proportion of the better paying ads. They will be replaced, but by ads that don't pay as well, or by PSAs.

Again, just to be clear: I'm not telling the Tip.it admins what to do -- this is their decision. I'm just having a hard time understanding how this is not having a noticeable financial impact on the site. And if it doesn't have a significant impact, I have to wonder why Jagex is so obsessed with the issue.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Romy, I took that post a little differently. I took it as something they just dragged their feet on for too long.

Kind of petty then, isn't it?

EDIT: On Jagex's side that is...

Well, I only have two and wasn't showing off. I was trying to say that even in their own company there is dissension in the ranks.

MMG: God, can we do one little thing without being torn apart from it?

Random Mod: Maybe we should stop doing stupid things?

MMG: You're fiiirred.

Actually being friends with them offers me very little outside of their friendship. I do get the occasional bits and pieces, but I don't tell people. Kayfabe brother. ;)

If Tip.It's revenue does not change by agreeing to remove the gaming adverts, why wasn't that done a lot ealier?

Mainly because that wasn't the *only* choice on the table. Legally I can't actually explain anything further. We didn't deliberately hang about and let the time run out.

What I don't get is...

~~~~snippet removed~~~~

If this change does not affect the revenue, why change it only now? Why not change it in the first place, if it really does not affect revenue??

Also in addition to peters post

We wanted to clarify other things such as the video game forum and wow thread and other content before jumping in head first ignorantly making a mistake.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Mainly because that wasn't the *only* choice on the table. Legally I can't actually explain anything further. We didn't deliberately hang about and let the time run out.

No offence to anyone, but your answer, combined with Qeltar's last post, leads me to develop some conspiracy theories here...

What I don't get is...

~~~~snippet removed~~~~

We wanted to clarify other things such as the video game forum and wow thread and other content before jumping in head first ignorantly making a mistake.

Jagex wanted Tip.It to remove that from the forums?!

I'm starting to think less and less of Jagex... Jesus!!

OT: Das... I'd love you to answer my PM :).

EDIT: Sorry for double post, I was certain someone would post something before me considering how many people are currently viewing this thread...

What I don't get is...

~~~~snippet removed~~~~

Jagex wanted Tip.It to remove that from the forums?!

I'm starting to think less and less of Jagex... Jesus!!

No, they did not, but we did want to cover every possible base (i'm a conspiracy guy too) to make sure that everything was on the table to make the best possible call. Which is why we removed the ads. it's all we had to do, final and not a big deal. Jagex Stated they had no problem with game discussion on the boards.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

The only reason why Zybez didn't take this deal is because they are owned by the Curse Gaming Network and have no right to affect their revenue stream at all. Zybez didn't "stand up" to anyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mage isn't legally allowed to say what other options there were. Methinks that Jagex is the one holding the legality issue over us. If not for that, I think that he would say if someone wasn't stopping him. :geek: