Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gears of War 3

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Dark Dude

Just beat the campaign. Best shooter campaign I've played EVER. I also got a Marcus headband avatar reward for beating it so i'm happy :P.

Were you playing a different game to what I just played?

Spoilers inside.

The fighting itself was alright, although without any significant story reasons for continuing to fight more stuff it just felt like fighting things for the sake of fighting things. There were numerous times where I was just bored of fighting things and just wanted to get onto the next major story piece and that never really came until the end of the game, leaving me unsatisfied most of the way through the campaign except for a few small moments here and there but mostly just uneventful. The Unreal Engine is also showing its age and that certainly made a few parts of it less enjoyable for me. I think I had 23 deaths playing through on Hardcore, well over 50% of those were due to frustrations with the engine or AI rather than actual difficult sections. The number of times the AI just wandered about instead of picking me up when I was downed so it timed out was crazy. I was left frustrated a number of times due to not being given a decent weapon selection for what was needed, this is especially true for the Armoured Kantus which require explosive weapons. Picking up weapons for a fight then being skipped ahead with an empty weapon before getting the chance to pick my other one back up was also annoying. In the end I just stuck with Lancer + Gnasher through most of it as if I went down any other routes I'd just be struggling for ammo for the other weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the campaign but it just felt so unsatisfying at times I really don't see how it is the best shooter campaign.

Low C
[ Display Name History ]

Low C

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,242 posts
  • RSN:Lowc15
  • Clan:Primacy
I shoulda same gameplay wise. I'm sure their are better story's out there that I haven't gotten ahold off yet but I quite enjoyed this one. I'm not the biggest Gears fan though so I picked up the game not expecting much. I'm sure Gears fans would have wanted more closure, is that where you're coming from?

Edit: Those Armoured Kantus were downright annoying but i had no trouble picking them off with Frags and Boomshots .

Low_C.png

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts

I shoulda same gameplay wise. I'm sure their are better story's out there that I haven't gotten ahold off yet but I quite enjoyed this one. I'm not the biggest Gears fan though so I picked up the game not expecting much. I'm sure Gears fans would have wanted more closure, is that where you're coming from?

Edit: Those Armoured Kantus were downright annoying but i had no trouble picking them off with Frags and Boomshots .

They just didn't give enough variation to the gameplay to make it that great in my opinion. If you're using a torque bow for example you get 6 shots out of it and maybe a few more if you kill the enemies in that area then when you're onto the next one you're left with a useless weapon with no ammo and have to switch back to lancer or whatever. There were numerous situations where I switched weapons to something else and then found myself in an area where I needed a long ranged weapon with no chance to get one at that second so just had to sit there and try and pick them off with a pistol or try and somehow find a way around and kill them with a shotgun, lots of times that's just not possible especially on hardcore. With things like grenades as well where I didn't use them all the time as I had no idea when I'd get more and I might need them, if I had more or got restocked more often I'd have been willing to use them more and get more variety in there but due to their scarcity that option wasn't really there. I can understand limiting the power weapons some what but they either needed more ammo or the ability to get a small amount of ammo for them from the ammo pick ups. The fact that even the longshot doesn't get refilled from the ammo pick-ups shocked me as that's usually my goto weapon in the last two games when it came to the campaign.

Story wise really just the lack of progress throughout the game and the unexplained things at the end are what made that not great. The end felt a little rushed too but at aleast it was closed and there's not really any chance of a sequel. (A prequel is a possibility though, which I'd like). It's just a shame for a game I've been waiting for nearly 3 years for to just leave so many things unexplained while closing the story at the same time. Maybe DLC will come out that'll explain it? I hope so, but should have been in the main game.

Low C
[ Display Name History ]

Low C

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

They just didn't give enough variation to the gameplay to make it that great in my opinion. If you're using a torque bow for example you get 6 shots out of it and maybe a few more if you kill the enemies in that area then when you're onto the next one you're left with a useless weapon with no ammo and have to switch back to lancer or whatever. There were numerous situations where I switched weapons to something else and then found myself in an area where I needed a long ranged weapon with no chance to get one at that second so just had to sit there and try and pick them off with a pistol or try and somehow find a way around and kill them with a shotgun, lots of times that's just not possible especially on hardcore. With things like grenades as well where I didn't use them all the time as I had no idea when I'd get more and I might need them, if I had more or got restocked more often I'd have been willing to use them more and get more variety in there but due to their scarcity that option wasn't really there. I can understand limiting the power weapons some what but they either needed more ammo or the ability to get a small amount of ammo for them from the ammo pick ups. The fact that even the longshot doesn't get refilled from the ammo pick-ups shocked me as that's usually my goto weapon in the last two games when it came to the campaign.

Story wise really just the lack of progress throughout the game and the unexplained things at the end are what made that not great. The end felt a little rushed too but at aleast it was closed and there's not really any chance of a sequel. (A prequel is a possibility though, which I'd like). It's just a shame for a game I've been waiting for nearly 3 years for to just leave so many things unexplained while closing the story at the same time. Maybe DLC will come out that'll explain it? I hope so, but should have been in the main game.

Buy the season pass and you should get new campaign DLC in the coming months. I agree with you on the weapons aspect, I never had trouble finding a weapon but I always ended up using a lancer 75% of the time and the other time im using a crossbow, hammerburst, ect. I think variation would have helped but It wasn't a deal breaker for me gameplay wise. I still had fun and i plan on playing through co-op and insane difficulty possibly.

Low_C.png

Overdoziz
[ Display Name History ]

Overdoziz

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

What's the campaign like?

You choose which path you take over a bridge and you choose if you want to provide cover fire to the truck your team is driving or you can drive in the truck itself. These options make the game feel more immersive not to mention the cut scenes are amazing. It's one of the best campaigns of any game i've ever played and i can see a ton of replayability if you're into finding cog tags and collectibles or replaying it to get more achievements for co-op and hardcore mode ect.

You can drive yourself? God, driving has been awful in the previous parts. Is it any better? Also, are there still those terrible on-rails sections nobody enjoys? These two things really ruined the past games.

No, you shoot a Gatling gun from the rear of the truck. It's actually pretty fun because [cabbage] is exploding and falling all around you as you're drove through the mayhem. Sorry if i misled you but i was trying to express the parts of the game that succeed in being over the top suspense.

So another [cabbage]ty on-rails part? Ugh.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

sarg1010
[ Display Name History ]

sarg1010

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sarg1010
  • RSN2:Teh Sarg

I actually thought it was pretty fun. And it is a really short section, maybe ~5 minutes max. Nothing OMG I HATE DOING THIS WHY DOES IT MAKE ME DO THIS worthy.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Low C
[ Display Name History ]

Low C

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

I actually thought it was pretty fun. And it is a really short section, maybe ~5 minutes max. Nothing OMG I HATE DOING THIS WHY DOES IT MAKE ME DO THIS worthy.

Agreed.

In other news I went back through and found the first 20 collectibles and 5/15 cog tags. I also played my first game of Horde and got to wave 38 with an awesome group of random people haha. I'll be no lifing horde tomorrow for sure.

Low_C.png

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts
I finally picked up the game today. Played the first couple chapters with my friend, and everything about the game seems improved. Now I'm going to see how badly I'll get raped online...

pennywise
[ Display Name History ]

pennywise

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
what happens to carmine

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts

what happens to carmine

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

I finally picked up the game today. Played the first couple chapters with my friend, and everything about the game seems improved. Now I'm going to see how badly I'll get raped online...

Online is a lot more fun this time around. I only got one laggy match out of about 20, and it only lasted for a minute or so. I have a 2KDR right now, but that's mostly from the quick match TDM games I played where I went 12-2 and 10-3. In KOTH I pull about a 1.2 or so, but I play the objective hard.

I also played some horde, which is still awesome, and some beast, which is impossible alone.

Low C
[ Display Name History ]

Low C

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,242 posts
I've been playing Horde religiously trying to get the 50 wave achievement and my first real good team makes it to wave 49 and everyone leaves... My next real try just now I made it to wave 30 with a suck ass team.. I had 2 good teammates who would play as a team the other 2 not so much. I'm going to try one more time i guess :(.

Low_C.png

Aeon_
[ Display Name History ]

Aeon_

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,345 posts
  • RSN:Abudino1234
  • RSN2:Man tshirt
A group of my friends got to 50 (twice!) on Horde then died.
One of them brought it round my house yesterday, quite fun, considering first game I've ever played of GOW. :P

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

TheValeyard
[ Display Name History ]

TheValeyard

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,490 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Dan Princeps
I thought it was pretty good but story wise I preferred the first 2. I dislike the fact that you can be downed on singleplayer, the AI is frustrating in getting you back up and I thought there was no reason to depart from just dying like in the first 2. Also disliked the way you're always in a group of at least 4, I can see it was necessary to get 4 player co-op but I liked the parts in the first 2 games where you went off with Dom, and kills seemed less satisfying when you were essentially helped out by 3-4 other guys. Not a bad end to the series though.

sarg1010
[ Display Name History ]

sarg1010

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • RSN:Sarg1010
  • RSN2:Teh Sarg
I've never had these problems with the AI. Playing on normal, whenever I'd get downed, one of them would always rush to me, even if it meant running through 5+ enemies.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Bows
[ Display Name History ]

Bows

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,352 posts
Anyone still playing? I've got friends in MLG Gears and I'm working my way in, It's a great game but the conclusion to the story left it 'open' if you will. When Dom died though... Tears of War 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users