Tip.it Times 11 April 2010

Mirror

About Fun Comes Second

I am not a grinder. It bores me to death (except thieving and agility, those are fun). The result is that my skill levels are not what they could be, even if I think they're relatively high. I've been playing on this account for 1.5-2 years, and my highest skill level is a 66 (cooking). My solution has been to try and merge tasks. I like getting rare items, and that is often the goal I have, but never to get enough money to go onto the GE and buy them. It may be grinding, but i have found an entertaining way to make cash- the agility arena. In conclusion, it's still possible to have fun on runescape, even if it's not very convienient (it reaches the goal).

Ummmmmm.....................

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

The first article was interesting; I don't particularly like the idea of a bronze crown though. I think the forums work quite well already.

The second article is the reason I'm replying: I agree completely. It's a game, we play it for FUN, 'nuff said. I hate grinding when it's not enjoyable (who actually enjoys clicking the same three rocks 50000 times, or doing the exact same clicking patterns tens of thousands of times for Fletching and Firemaking?)

That's why I'm over the moon about Dungeoneering: finally, a skill that is all about fun, and can't be 'grinded'. I think this is a major change in attitudes on Jagex's part - the fact that they've decided to make a fun piece of content which would normally be a minigame into a skill shows they're focusing more on fun ways to train instead of grinding.

I hope they release more 'fun' ways to train all skills. D&D's are a start. I don't mind a bit of grinding, but the amount in Runescape makes many skills seem not worthwhile. I don't mind if the new 'fun content' is 10 or 20% slower - that leaves grinding open as an option, but means there is a fun alternative.

To support what the article says - I just completed this week's poll. Seen the results?

Q: 'When deciding to train your skills, what factor is generally most important to you? '

How much money you will make/lose - 31% (7983 votes)

XP gain rate - 28% (7293 votes)

How fun you find it - 28% (7187 votes)

Fun doesn't come second, it seems. Fun comes third!

IMO, players who rant on this skill are players who don't play for fun, have trouble ignoring it or maybe even afk, but you can ignore the last bit.

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

About the first article - the only people that think they have the right to shout are those who don't like something. If you like a thing, you will not spawn tens of threads to say the same thing over and over, you would just PLAY it (of course, some care to tell the developers that they like it). And unfortunately, someone has to deal with the troublemakers and that's why their demands are partially or fully fulfilled. It's not like you or me or someone else can change it or do it better: it was always like this and the faster you get rid of troublemakers, the better.

About the second article - I couldn't agree more and that's exactly why I am retired. Since now I know how much my time is worth, I'd rather get paid for doing something interesting than waste both time and money to grind. Now I login occasionally, perhaps to do the circus (since ToG's requirements (I can earn 150k xp only in three weeks) are absurdly high), perhaps to play a minigame an activity. I just do what I find fun and that is exactly 'fun'. Unfortunately at my skill level distribution there's only grind left.

And about runecrafting - we already had a skill which involves continuous running in circles to gain xp, so it could have been designed better. Currently, there's no reason to train it besides the quest requirements. Also, if someone is willing to argue that it is a good moneymaker, the answer is simple and undeniable by any means: if you would put all the time you would spend on rc to combat, you would gain tens of millions with combat instead of hundreds of thousands with rc.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

About the first article - the only people that think they have the right to shout are those who don't like something. If you like a thing, you will not spawn tens of threads to say the same thing over and over, you would just PLAY it (of course, some care to tell the developers that they like it). And unfortunately, someone has to deal with the troublemakers and that's why their demands are partially or fully fulfilled. It's not like you or me or someone else can change it or do it better: it was always like this and the faster you get rid of troublemakers, the better.

About the second article - I couldn't agree more and that's exactly why I am retired. Since now I know how much my time is worth, I'd rather get paid for doing something interesting than waste both time and money to grind. Now I login occasionally, perhaps to do the circus (since ToG's requirements (I can earn 150k xp only in three weeks) are absurdly high), perhaps to play a minigame an activity. I just do what I find fun and that is exactly 'fun'. Unfortunately at my skill level distribution there's only grind left.

And about runecrafting - we already had a skill which involves continuous running in circles to gain xp, so it could have been designed better. Currently, there's no reason to train it besides the quest requirements. Also, if someone is willing to argue that it is a good moneymaker, the answer is simple and undeniable by any means: if you would put all the time you would spend on rc to combat, you would gain tens of millions with combat instead of hundreds of thousands with rc.

You get over 400m cash getting 99 rc. It takes about 570 grhaaks, and about 20 days of play time. That would be 2mil an hour or so.

pere_grin.png

The notion of a Bronze Crown player is noxious to me. Special forums, special access to Jagex, special display crown in the game, special influence on future updates.

And if I want to get Jagex' ear, I would have to find someone with a Bronze Crown and get them to forward my ideas. Perhaps by their merit, perhaps with a favorable loan of an item, perhaps in exchange for my support at some clan warring event.

No Thank You.

As opposed to what you can do now. Which is absolutely nothing.

All i have to say about the grinding through levels is its survival of the fittest. If you're good you stay and if not you don't. Simply as that. Even though runescape is like that for most it doesn't have to be. Ignore the ppl who say you're not good and play on. Either way its just a game.

Aguante Argentina!!!!!!!!!!