12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

People keep saying the "skill" goes faster as you level up, and it keeps going slower. 3k per hour or so at level 35 is kinda ridiculous, folks.

The "skill" is a nice piece of content being wasted due to inept implementation by developers who clearly have no idea how players actually play and what they want.

Imagine how good this could have been if Jagex would stop thinking they don't need input from players and would do what every other software company does: create a beta program.

I've been getting 15k xp/hour duo @ lvl 58 so far, with 45k xp in other skills on the side

there is some hope, but I think dungeoneering was meant to be a skill like Slayer

in that it levels up other skills at the same time.

granted lvl 120 for true skill mastery is a little ridiculous.

Naaxi.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think the lvl 120 cap is quite nice and it wouldn't bother me at all if they implemented it in other skills. It opens up room for future updates, but it's not yet needed at the moment since most skills don't have content up to all the way in the 90's, but they're working on that.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

33 Dungeoneering now, and the rate of levelling up is pretty constant, which seems unusual for a skill. Normally the time between levels goes up exponentially, but here I'm getting more or less a level a dungeon, and although the creatures I'm facing are changing, it's not getting difficult yet.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I actually think the lvl 120 cap is quite nice and it wouldn't bother me at all if they implemented it in other skills. It opens up room for future updates, but it's not yet needed at the moment since most skills don't have content up to all the way in the 90's, but they're working on that.

I agree, I think opening the level caps is the key first step in being able to introduce new higher level content into the game. New metals beyond rune possible to be mined, higher hp allowing for more powerful weapons, new potions etc etc etc. Not to mention with the exception of rewards and item binding dungeoneering content stops at 69, that leave a huge area to add to and improve it. I'd expect to see a new release associated with dungeoneering withing the next few weeks-couple months.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

33 Dungeoneering now, and the rate of levelling up is pretty constant, which seems unusual for a skill. Normally the time between levels goes up exponentially, but here I'm getting more or less a level a dungeon, and although the creatures I'm facing are changing, it's not getting difficult yet.

Don't forget it's the first days of release, I believe future updates will change that A LOT.

I agree, I think opening the level caps is the key first step in being able to introduce new higher level content into the game. New metals beyond rune possible to be mined, higher hp allowing for more powerful weapons, new potions etc etc etc. Not to mention with the exception of rewards and item binding dungeoneering content stops at 69, that leave a huge area to add to and improve it. I'd expect to see a new release associated with dungeoneering withing the next few weeks-couple months.

I reckon having ways to change the properties of existing armour and weapons would have more depth than simply inventing more metals and tacking it on to the higher levels. This could include the ones that aren't player made as well.

Mmm, I like where this is going.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

People keep saying the "skill" goes faster as you level up, and it keeps going slower. 3k per hour or so at level 35 is kinda ridiculous, folks.

The "skill" is a nice piece of content being wasted due to inept implementation by developers who clearly have no idea how players actually play and what they want.

Imagine how good this could have been if Jagex would stop thinking they don't need input from players and would do what every other software company does: create a beta program.

I agree with your last sentence. Jagex needs more input from players and testing. They implemented great rewards with this skill which means they understand what their playerbase want but they screwed up in the way you can obtain these items which means they don't understand how their playerbase play their game...

I have hope that this skill will be great in the end, when the playerbase has finished testing this beta skill and changes have been implemented.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Don't forget it's the first days of release, I believe future updates will change that A LOT.

You mean the time to level? Doubt it. I believe the whole purpose behind making the cap 120 was so that you could level up at a fairly constant rate. Although I'm doing solo right now at level 53, and it's actually taking 3-4 dungeons a level. So the time to level does increase somewhat as you level, unsurprisingly.

As for the difficulty, it does get more difficult as you go. It appears that as well as averaging the floor xp with your prestige xp, the difficulty of the floor is also averaged with the difficulty of the prestige level. I used to face level 150ish gluttonous behemoths, now on my prestige runs with 26 prestige I'm facing level 250ish behemoths.

I agree with your last sentence. Jagex needs more input from players and testing. They implemented great rewards with this skill which means they understand what their playerbase want but they screwed up in the way you can obtain these items which means they don't understand how their playerbase play their game...

I have hope that this skill will be great in the end, when the playerbase has finished testing this beta skill and changes have been implemented.

I'm thinking it's because they know how their playerbase play their game, that they set it that way. I know of too many 'scapers that are too motivated when their goals are set, wayyy too motivated- Jagex wants people playing their game for as long as possible.

You mean the time to level? Doubt it. I believe the whole purpose behind making the cap 120 was so that you could level up at a fairly constant rate. Although I'm doing solo right now at level 53, and it's actually taking 3-4 dungeons a level. So the time to level does increase somewhat as you level, unsurprisingly.

I don't think it'll stay this way. Jagex may want people playing their game, but they wouldn't encourage "no-lifing"- Getting to 104M on a 15-20K exp per hour on average is not something Jagex would encourage IMO.

I don't think it'll stay this way. Jagex may want people playing their game, but they wouldn't encourage "no-lifing"- Getting to 104M on a 15-20K exp per hour on average is not something Jagex would encourage IMO.

That's actually what a I meant - the time between levels will stay fairly constant with possibly only a linear increase instead of going up exponentially like other skills. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the max exp an hour capped out in the hundreds of thousands after 99.

I reckon having ways to change the properties of existing armour and weapons would have more depth than simply inventing more metals and tacking it on to the higher levels. This could include the ones that aren't player made as well.

Mmm, I like where this is going.

As far as metals, I was thinking of smithing which has rune capping it out at 99. Obviously a flawed skill but now with it set as is for so long they can't very well lower the level requirements to make room for newer, better things to smith. They're left with little choice but to remove the cap on smithing if they want to add in new content which is better than rune (which honestly, unless you're f2p or a low level is pretty useless)

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Something that I haven't found an answer to is how exactly Tears of Guthix, Genie Lamps, Penguin Points, etc. are going to be of any real help in gaining experience? I mean, it'll get your level higher, but since a higher level in the skill has no tangible benefits, and the rewards, derived from reward tokens, are only gained when training the skill itself in Daemonheim and getting experience there.

So what would the benefit of using those means to level the skill?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Something that I haven't found an answer to is how exactly Tears of Guthix, Genie Lamps, Penguin Points, etc. are going to be of any real help in gaining experience? I mean, it'll get your level higher, but since a higher level in the skill has no tangible benefits, and the rewards, derived from reward tokens, are only gained when training the skill itself in Daemonheim and getting experience there.

they'll help extremely much

because if a player never plays dungeoneering

but through tears/genie lamps/penguin points gets his dungeoneering to lvl 50

he can power his way through to lvl 25 prestige, and start earning 15k+ xp/hour right off the bat

instead of having to start off with 1k xp/hour

the same logic applies at higher levels, but is less apparent

Naaxi.png

But let's say someone has a level above 50? Or uses it past 50? What would be the benefits of putting in these things for the experience reward as they wouldn't produce any tangible benefit other than the simply increased level?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Consider xp to be one reward currency & tokens to be another. It shouldn't be that hard to have TOG, lamps, et. al. pay in both currencies for the new "skill."

I. e., "Congratulations! You have received 880 xp & 9 tokens from rubbing the lamp!" or 35000 xp & 3500 tokens from Penguin points, etc.

Shouldn't be that hard to do when the time comes around.

Not that I have any inside info; just throwing it out there.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Quests and new content in general is my only answer.

I believe that they are changing the way the tokens work, so I don't know. 400k tokens for the level 80 rewards just seems stupid, IMO, and you are right about xp from other sources being useless in that case.

I would feel a whole hell of a lot better about this skill if they dropped the token system all together, and just made it so you could spend xp. Not crazy amounts, of course, but say it cost 200k xp to buy one of the level 80 items, just for example. It is really the same as the system they have now, with spending tokens that take 10 xp each to get, but I don't know. D-leveling would be an issue, but with the supposed quickness of xp gain at that level, it really should not matter.

This would give all xp giving events outside of the mini game a real purpose for xp in this skill, and would make it seem like the skill itself was giving us something. Any thoughts?

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

Quests and new content in general is my only answer.

Well, the rewards also have Dungeon requirements, and so do the different floors in the dungeon.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

So to maximize my Prestige, I should run through all of the levels again, then reset when I finish all of the levels? And could I do that on Complexity 1 to minimize the time repeating?

The first part is correct. You don't have to run through all the levels in one single trip though, so I can have a prestige of 10, do 1-5, get out of the dungeon when on 6, log off, chill, come back and choose to start from level 6 before going down the dungeon again.

If you do it on Complexity 1 you get a 50% penalty. Only complexity level 6 has no penalty.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I did 3 runs DUO

friend had 17 prestige, I had 28 prestige

I *always* received exactly 2.452x more prestige xp than him

So performance within the dungeon does not seem to factor into the prestige multiplier

combat level of the two players or other factors aside from your prestige rating may affect it , but actions within the dungeon have 0 effect.

I'm still inclined to believed that prestige xp scales exponentially

But I don't have enough data to make a claim on how exactly it does this.

Anyways with some extrapolation, I'm expecting a 40k xp/hour rate at lvl 80 or something along those lines.

Naaxi.png

Why level 80? Logically, the XP you get can't get any faster after level 69 (when you unlock maximum prestige).

And if they add a different dungeon, there's nothing saying the XP or Prestige rank for that dungeon will be the same.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!