Anyone help me with some workout info?

Scorcheddd

Heya Guys, semi-new poster on tif. I made a topic a bit ago about how to dress classy on the normal off topic, but now to go with that I want to thin down a bit and build up some muscle tone so I can fit along with the look better and hopefully get more energy in day to day stuff and etc. Trying to thin up a bit.

Some info:

Weight: 190 lb's (exact)

Height: 5' 7.5"

Equipment access:

[hide=Gym - Fitworks]

-Cardio Equipment including Ellipticals, Treadmills, Recumbent Bikes, Upright Bikes, Step Machines, & More

-Cardio Cinema Room---Watch Movies While You Workout on a 15' Theater Screen w/Dolby Digital Surround Sound!

-Strength Training Equipment

-Free Weights

-Sprint Circuit Equipment--Great for Beginners!

-Amazing Group Fitness Classes for All Fitness Levels!

-MVP Sports Acceleration Training

[/hide]

[hide=Home]

-Eliptical Machine

-Small weights, 2lb, 5 lb, 10lb

-I guess I can throw in jogging here

[/hide]

I can usually do nights, I'm hoping to hit up the gym/run when I can!

Problem is, I have no idea what to do :( I've tried googling stuff and I just get confused from all the jargin and all the information out there. I was hoping some of you guys could help me set up a bit of a work out for when I'm home and when I'm at the gym? I've got no idea what to do, what to lift, what workouts to do. Thanks so much anyone that helps!

you might want to start with some cardio exercise to improve your endurance and stamina which are the base of all exercise (without some good stamina you won't be training for long :wink: )

then it's just a matter af wath you want to train (abs, arms, shoulders,...)

as I am a karateka I prefer to train my entire body in a balanced way but if you really want more energy then I would suggest to go jogging, it's easy, keeps you fit and does wonders for your stamina if done on a regular basis...

hope this helped and have a good time working out :thumbsup:

Sacrificing efficiency for fun since 1991

angel2w.gif

Dreezer.png

What kind of group classes are there?

At my gym there are circuits classes where many different things are done over an hour and I find it a really good work out and has really helped my cardio. If theres something like that I'd highly recommend it.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

What kind of group classes are there?

At my gym there are circuits classes where many different things are done over an hour and I find it a really good work out and has really helped my cardio. If theres something like that I'd highly recommend it.

I haven't gotten the membership yet, I've got a 1 week trial but will end up getting it. Not entirely sure what the group classes are but I'll look into them thanks!

From the sounds of it you seem to have two requirements, to burn fat and build muscle. These can easily be done in conjunction and i'm going to give you a few possible ways of doing it so you have some options.

The first thing I'd recommend you do is buy a heart rate monitor, nothing too expensive, just something that gives you an average and instantaneous heart rate. Because the best way to build the "base fitness" people here are talking about is through UT2 training, which stands for Utilization Training 2. Don't worry about the jargon, all it means is that you train at roughly 55% of your maximum heart rate. You can work this out by subtracting your age from 220, which gives you a max heart rate of 203. So for UT2 training you want your heart rate no higher than 112. Once you sustain this level of exercise for longer than about 30 mins your body starts to burn fat, which is what you want to do.

So ideally you'd go and do 2 intervals of 30 minutes on a rowing machine (do you have access to one?) with a heart rate of 112. If you don't have a heart rate monitor a good way to assess whether or not you're at UT2 is whether or not you can hold down a conversation without gasping too much. You should be able to. Ideally do this twice a week, it will build excellent base fitness and burn fat effectively.

If you do this kind of exercise I'd couple it with weights 2-3 times a week (if possible). As for what kind of exercises to do my best advice is to keep it simple and focus on lifts that use as many muscles as possible. Free weight squats, deadlifts, bench-press are all excellent because they develop core stability, raw power and neuromuscular pathways that get your body used to lifting weight. Stronglifts is an excellent program for beginners to strength training based on the Starting Strength program, it teaches you how to do all the exercises correctly and safely (very important) as well as giving training ideas and diet tips. I'd highly recommend giving the website a throrough read, you'll learn a lot from it.

The other route is to do HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts which develop strength and cardiovascular fitness at the same time, something like CrossFit. They post a daily workout that varies between metabolic conditioning (cardio type stuff) and pure strength. The problem with starting a program like this is that to start with, you won't be anywhere near fit enough to complete most of the metcon workouts (don't take that personally, they're designed so that top athletes struggle) and won't have the strength or knowledge of the lifts to complete the strength workouts. Nevertheless, it's a very informative website and i'd recommend you give it a read just to see what you can learn.

The final thing probably worth mentioning is diet. For someone trying to lose weight but build lean muscle mass I'd recommend a diet high in protein, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, nuts, dried fruits etc. Limit your carbohydrate intake somewhat (less potatos, pasta) etc. but obviously don't cut it out completely, just maybe have one less potato with each meal. Obviously cut down on any processed fatty foods, sweets and sugars. I'm not saying cut them out completely because that's boring and you don't need anything that drastic, just make them treats.

This probably all sounds quite time consuming but once you know what you're doing it'll quickly become part of your daily routine. If you're short on time and can only do a few workouts a week I'd prioritise the strength training stuff over the UT2 training since you will burn fat naturally by lifting weights and you'll build muscle, you just won't burn the fat quite as quickly but that might be okay. Good luck, stick with it and you'll easily see results.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Well, assassin saved me from posting a huge block.. he pretty much covered it. I just have one tip that wasn't mentioned: If you can do a certain exercise at home, then don't bother doing it at the gym. For example, don't go to the gym and do ellipticals for hours one end :shame:. I used to do my abs (crunches ect.) at the gym but now I do them at home and use the extra time at the gym to try new machines. If they have rowing machines then make it your goal to become a good rower. It's the most draining exercise I know because it builds muscles all over your body and increases stamina.

But yea, I'm not just gonna repeat what assassin said :mrgreen: . Read, re-read, then re-re-read his post.

hiccup.png

[hide=Assasins Post]

From the sounds of it you seem to have two requirements, to burn fat and build muscle. These can easily be done in conjunction and i'm going to give you a few possible ways of doing it so you have some options.

The first thing I'd recommend you do is buy a heart rate monitor, nothing too expensive, just something that gives you an average and instantaneous heart rate. Because the best way to build the "base fitness" people here are talking about is through UT2 training, which stands for Utilization Training 2. Don't worry about the jargon, all it means is that you train at roughly 55% of your maximum heart rate. You can work this out by subtracting your age from 220, which gives you a max heart rate of 203. So for UT2 training you want your heart rate no higher than 112. Once you sustain this level of exercise for longer than about 30 mins your body starts to burn fat, which is what you want to do.

So ideally you'd go and do 2 intervals of 30 minutes on a rowing machine (do you have access to one?) with a heart rate of 112. If you don't have a heart rate monitor a good way to assess whether or not you're at UT2 is whether or not you can hold down a conversation without gasping too much. You should be able to. Ideally do this twice a week, it will build excellent base fitness and burn fat effectively.

If you do this kind of exercise I'd couple it with weights 2-3 times a week (if possible). As for what kind of exercises to do my best advice is to keep it simple and focus on lifts that use as many muscles as possible. Free weight squats, deadlifts, bench-press are all excellent because they develop core stability, raw power and neuromuscular pathways that get your body used to lifting weight. Stronglifts is an excellent program for beginners to strength training based on the Starting Strength program, it teaches you how to do all the exercises correctly and safely (very important) as well as giving training ideas and diet tips. I'd highly recommend giving the website a throrough read, you'll learn a lot from it.

The other route is to do HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts which develop strength and cardiovascular fitness at the same time, something like CrossFit. They post a daily workout that varies between metabolic conditioning (cardio type stuff) and pure strength. The problem with starting a program like this is that to start with, you won't be anywhere near fit enough to complete most of the metcon workouts (don't take that personally, they're designed so that top athletes struggle) and won't have the strength or knowledge of the lifts to complete the strength workouts. Nevertheless, it's a very informative website and i'd recommend you give it a read just to see what you can learn.

The final thing probably worth mentioning is diet. For someone trying to lose weight but build lean muscle mass I'd recommend a diet high in protein, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, nuts, dried fruits etc. Limit your carbohydrate intake somewhat (less potatos, pasta) etc. but obviously don't cut it out completely, just maybe have one less potato with each meal. Obviously cut down on any processed fatty foods, sweets and sugars. I'm not saying cut them out completely because that's boring and you don't need anything that drastic, just make them treats.

This probably all sounds quite time consuming but once you know what you're doing it'll quickly become part of your daily routine. If you're short on time and can only do a few workouts a week I'd prioritise the strength training stuff over the UT2 training since you will burn fat naturally by lifting weights and you'll build muscle, you just won't burn the fat quite as quickly but that might be okay. Good luck, stick with it and you'll easily see results.

[/hide]

I like the sound of this UT2 training. Theres a rowing machine at fitworks with a built in heart rate monitor... At least I think it was a rowing machine... But I went to fitworks for the first time with a friend today and he showed me how to use most of the equipment so I have a general base for what I should do. Ran an 8 minute mile! Haha! Was able to bench 95 pounds, and do reps with I think 80... Or something around there...

As for the dieting part, I should go with a high protein diet? Do you know of anywhere I can really read up on recipes and in general food knowledge of high protein stuff? I'm a picky eater which is going to make this reeeaaaalllllyyyyy hard.... Also, I don't eat fruits or vegetables. I'm trying to force myself to like them, but for now I've got two pills, Juice Plus, which give me 3000mg/day of assorted fruit/vegetables and I've also got One a Day Teen Advantage. Are these Good/bad/ok to be taking or what?

Oh, and I've decided that my main goal right now is to lose my belly fat. Does that mean work hardcore on abs/cardio stuff?

I like the sound of this UT2 training. Theres a rowing machine at fitworks with a built in heart rate monitor... At least I think it was a rowing machine... But I went to fitworks for the first time with a friend today and he showed me how to use most of the equipment so I have a general base for what I should do. Ran an 8 minute mile! Haha! Was able to bench 95 pounds, and do reps with I think 80... Or something around there...

As for the dieting part, I should go with a high protein diet? Do you know of anywhere I can really read up on recipes and in general food knowledge of high protein stuff? I'm a picky eater which is going to make this reeeaaaalllllyyyyy hard.... Also, I don't eat fruits or vegetables. I'm trying to force myself to like them, but for now I've got two pills, Juice Plus, which give me 3000mg/day of assorted fruit/vegetables and I've also got One a Day Teen Advantage. Are these Good/bad/ok to be taking or what?

Oh, and I've decided that my main goal right now is to lose my belly fat. Does that mean work hardcore on abs/cardio stuff?

You'll lose the fat around your stomach by doing UT2 or HIIT cardio, abdominal work will build the muscle under the fat but that's not much good if it's buried under a layer of fat. Changing your diet will also have a positive effect on that region that's possibly more significant than cardio.

You don't necessarily want a high protein diet, just change the relative proportions of protein to carbohydrate to fat in your diet. Read this article. Drop the pills and eat real fruit and vegetables, supplements should only be used when you physically can't get enough of whatever from a normal diet. Anyway there's plenty more tips on nutrition on those websites. But a personal tip, canned tuna's great. It's cheap, lean (low fat) and can be used in lots of things. I eat quite a lot of it.

So just start off doing cardio stuff till I have better stamina?

Cardio is CW garbage.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Cardio is CW garbage.

Did you actually read the article? He's advocating exactly what I am, prolonged low intensity UT2 training to burn fat coupled with occasional AT (sprint training) to improve anaerobic capacity and strength.

Cardio is CW garbage.

Did you actually read the article? He's advocating exactly what I am, prolonged low intensity UT2 training to burn fat coupled with occasional AT (sprint training) to improve anaerobic capacity and strength.

So it turned out it wasn't a full on rowing machine, but my running has been doing quick sprints and the like at points. Hopefully it'll start showing results soon! :D

Something I would like to add. Many people have the misconception that losing fat/building muscle is 50% about your exercise and 50% about your diet.

I like to look at it as 100% of each. Yup, that sounds stupid. But its true. Too many people think "Oh, well I love going to the gym, but I also love drinking soda every day. I'll just do the gym hard and get a little less results."

It doesn't really work that way. Know that if you are planning on actually doing this, its going to take a full commitment both in the gym and in the kitchen. Now, I dont mean that you need to do a complete diet overhaul on day one. If you go from an unhealthy diet immediately into a strict diet, you probably will get discouraged. How much soda do you drink? If you drink a can a day, cut that down to 3 or 4 cans per week for awhile. Then when you feel comfortable, go down to 1 or 2 per week. Then finally eliminate it from your diet. Do this same strategy for any other unhealthy things you are eating.

You asked about recipies:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=muscle+chow&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7961483249660466062&ei=thHVS_mUFITK8wTNt6jDDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBIQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

I love this book. I've gained 10 pounds (of muscle!) in the past 4 months thanks to this book. I love Gregg's advice. He focuses on the stuff that most people talk about (high protein, low saturated fat, low sodium, high fiber) but he also writes a lot about vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. Sometimes, people cut their diet down to nothing but canned tuna and broccoli. Gregg highlights the importance of consuming a wide variety of foods for optimum nutritional benefit.

And my final comment; assassin was talking about HIIT being more for seasoned athletes. Well, its true that those workouts you see at the link he posted will probably be too difficult for you. But, HIIT can be something really simple. Get on a cardio machine, warm up for 6 minutes. Then sprint for 1 minute, jog for 2 minutes, followed by another 1 min sprint, 2 min jog, and then one more repetition of this. Then a 6 minute cooldown. (So you have warm up, sprint, jog, sprint, jog, sprint, jog, cooldown). I say "sprint" because I do this on the treadmill, but the idea is just to go very hard on whatever machine you are using.

As you get in better shape, you can do longer intervals. But they never should really be longer than a few minutes.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

And my final comment; assassin was talking about HIIT being more for seasoned athletes. Well, its true that those workouts you see at the link he posted will probably be too difficult for you. But, HIIT can be something really simple. Get on a cardio machine, warm up for 6 minutes. Then sprint for 1 minute, jog for 2 minutes, followed by another 1 min sprint, 2 min jog, and then one more repetition of this. Then a 6 minute cooldown. (So you have warm up, sprint, jog, sprint, jog, sprint, jog, cooldown). I say "sprint" because I do this on the treadmill, but the idea is just to go very hard on whatever machine you are using.

As you get in better shape, you can do longer intervals. But they never should really be longer than a few minutes.

Yeah that's very true. And if you had the time some form of interval training once a week now and again certainly wouldn't be any bad thing. My only hesitation is that if you sustain repeated interval training sessions per week over a long period of time your recovery will be terrible and you'll actually go backwards. I suppose it's not a consideration for a beginner, but in my opinion I'd build some base fitness over a period of 4 or so weeks first and then start introducing interval training. But I suppose it's just a time consideration.

Cardio is CW garbage.

considering:

Sponsor note:

This post was brought to you by the Damage Control Master Formula, independently proven as the most comprehensive high-potency antioxidant multivitamin available anywhere. With the highest antioxidant per dollar value and a complete anti-aging, stress, and cognition profile, the Master Formula is truly the only multivitamin supplement you will ever need. Toss out the drawers full of dozens of different supplements with questionable potency and efficacy and experience the proven Damage Control difference!

I would categorically dismiss anything said to you by anyone who lets themselves be endorsed by someone promising "documented" verieties of something undocumentable. Show me someone who can prove (in humans) anti-ageing capabilities, and they would win the nobel prize in medicine.

trusting those who obviously have no clue (the author of the article, not the poster mind you!) is besides the point though:

You're in it to loose weight first and foremost. How do you loose weight healthily? Eat less, work out more, raise your metabolism.

What's the easiest of those 3 things? Eating less. Thus:

step 1: Eat less than you currently do. This will make you feel hungry at times.

What's the second easiest of those 3 things? working out more. thus:

step 1: Eat less than you currently do. This will make you feel hungry at times.

step 2: work out more than you currently do. This will make you feel tired at times. This will make you feel more hungry at times.

last option: raise your metabolism. This is easier than it sounds, putting it in a close third. Raising your metabolism predominantly happens in two ways: gaining musclular mass, gaining cardiovascular efficiency (read: more well trained, stronger heart). And so follows:

step 2: work out more than you currently do. This will make you feel tired at times. This will make you feel more hungry at times.

step 3. a) gain muscular mass by training with varied weight training. do this as often as possible: if feeling sore, don't work out those muscle groups (listen to your body).

step 3 B) gain cardio-strength. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is proven to provide a greater calorie to time ratio than other running / jogging etc. as metabolism increases more rapidly. HIIT is based on your current level of fitness. Therefore, achieving high intensity (high pulse) is based on how well your body is conditioned. Warm up properly, warm down extensively and you will have no problems of maintaining 85-95% of your max puls for 4 minutes with 2-4 minutes of rest inbetween (lower values don't neccessarily enhance your conditional improvement, more research is neccessary to determine that as fact).

Examining these 3 easy steps, a simple conclusion emerges: to loose weight, you are going to have to make lasting changes to how you live your life. these changes include, but are not limited to:

- eating less.

- spending more time working out

- having less time to do other things

- maintaining motivation as results OFTEN take time before they are visible. qunatifying your results through "endurence testing" or "weight testing" of yourself may be good, as change is gradual. In addition, loosing the first few kilos are both the easiest and the hardest: easiest because you're the most motivated, and you have the most to loose. Hardest because you need to work out continuously, and you need to get into the habit of eating less than you need to be "full". Being "full" is the body's way of saying you're eating enough to retain your current matchweight.

-finding a fun way to work out, finding people who you enjoy working out with, or activities where you work out (not the most efficient way, but expend calories nonetheless) if you are to continue working out.

My 6 min 90% Max puls, 2 min 75% max puls intervals disagree.

Also, 20 second on ( 100% sprint, as hard you possibly can), 15 secs 60% max puls for 12 minutes continuously, 2 sets however long break inbetween you like (we're talking upto 2 hours if you like) have similar effects, but train different characteristics sprinter vs. long distance, anaerobic vs aerobic capacity etc. variation is the key to health.

good luck, and let common sense prevail! there are no shortcuts to getting fit. just look at all professional athletes, and their diets and routines (only talking sports where careers can last 20+ years here as these are the people who don't ruin their bodies too quickly at least. obviously moderate your excersise more than they do for maximum health benefits

My 6 min 90% Max puls, 2 min 75% max puls intervals disagree.

Also, 20 second on ( 100% sprint, as hard you possibly can), 15 secs 60% max puls for 12 minutes continuously, 2 sets however long break inbetween you like (we're talking upto 2 hours if you like) have similar effects, but train different characteristics sprinter vs. long distance, anaerobic vs aerobic capacity etc. variation is the key to health.

My advice was intended for fat-burning anaerobic exercise.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Listen to what Assassin says, and never use machines when you could use free weights

I think machines can be really important if you are very out of shape. If you have never bench pressed in your life, I think it is important to do a couple weeks on the bench machine just to get your muscles a little stronger. Lifting free weights takes a lot of technique and can be unsafe to the truly beginner lifter.

Also if you have an injury, machines can help you get a good work out on the rest of your body without aggrivating your injury.

Myweponsgood.gif

Down 13 pounds after my first week. At 182 now. My pants fit better :)

I've been doing a mile a day and worked out 2 times a week. Focusing more on cardio stuff than weights to get rid of my belly first. Thats my main goal. And during my runs sometimes I do bursts of sprinting thrown in.

Listen to what Assassin says, and never use machines when you could use free weights

I think machines can be really important if you are very out of shape. If you have never bench pressed in your life, I think it is important to do a couple weeks on the bench machine just to get your muscles a little stronger. Lifting free weights takes a lot of technique and can be unsafe to the truly beginner lifter.

Also if you have an injury, machines can help you get a good work out on the rest of your body without aggrivating your injury.

If you think about it, it's better to start with the free weights at a very low weight (say, the plain barbell). Free-weight compound lifting exercises main muscle groups, but you also have to stabilize the weight you're lifting with other groups as well. The machine will train the main muscles of the lift, but not the stabilizers, leading to possible problems (and the unsafeness of which you speak) when you finally move to free weights.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

If you think about it, it's better to start with the free weights at a very low weight (say, the plain barbell). Free-weight compound lifting exercises main muscle groups, but you also have to stabilize the weight you're lifting with other groups as well. The machine will train the main muscles of the lift, but not the stabilizers, leading to possible problems (and the unsafeness of which you speak) when you finally move to free weights.

Beat me to it.

Weaponsgood:

You say that you should use the machine to get your muscles stronger before trying free weights, but you don't need to be strong to do free weights. You can start with the same weight with free weights as you can with a machine. And as for the technique, machines usually only teach you poor form

PS: This is a great video for helping to understand and fix proper bench form

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dave_tates_sixweek_bench_press_cure

yes.png

Yeah at first I thought exactly like myweapons, but after doing freeweights for awhile now I see much more improvement than when I stuck with machines. Machines are really only for huge guys who only want to train a certain muscle group. For the rest of us, there's free weights.

hiccup.png

Yeah at first I thought exactly like myweapons, but after doing freeweights for awhile now I see much more improvement than when I stuck with machines. Machines are really only for huge guys who only want to train a certain muscle group. For the rest of us, there's free weights.

Most huge guys still do free weights. Also with machines you can't up the weight by say five pounds a week, it's only specific increments

yes.png

Most huge guys still do free weights. Also with machines you can't up the weight by say five pounds a week, it's only specific increments

Most machines at my gym go up in increments of 5...

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~