SB1070 Immigration Bill passes in Arizona

mrpadre

The article

It is official, SB1070 is now State law and it will be effective 90 days after the current legislative session ends. The initiative was signed Friday by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, despite President Obamas criticism who this very morning called it misguided and irresponsible, while instructing the Justice Department to examine its legal frame.

Until the last minute, hundreds of opponents demanded Brewer to veto it and protested outside the state Capitol claiming the new law would lead to civil rights and human abuse. In reaction, Brewer said challengers were "overreacting," while making clear that racial profiling wont be tolerated.

"We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act [] but decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation," the governor said after signing the initiative.

Earlier, during a naturalization ceremony for active duty service members in the Rose Garden of the White House, and in a clear reference to Senate Bill 1070, president Obama said it undermines fundamental notions of equality.

"That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," Obama said.

After the bill had been signed, a small riot broke out in the streets of downtown Phoenix, when the group protesting against SB1070 got into a fight with a man who supported the controversial immigration bill. Things calmed down moments later, after riot Police restored the order.

The Congressional Hispanic Caucus and immigration advocates have claimed the new immigration law will promote racism; supporters say it will boost success of law enforcement agencies in their combat against illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's busiest doorway for human and drug smuggling.

Meanwhile Mexico's Senate has warned the new law would impact cross-border relations and unanimously passed a resolution urging Brewer to veto the law.

More general information about the bill

The SB1070 bill, deemed the toughest immigration legislature in the country, has been passed by the Arizona House of Representatives on Tuesday. The bill, which can change the way of life for thousands of illegal immigrants living in Arizona, was voted 35:21.

The new SB1070 Arizona immigration bill lets the state police perform checks on a "reasonable suspicion" that a person might be an illegal immigrant and make arrests for not carrying ID papers. Previously, police could not stop and check identification papers on a mere suspicion that someone might be an illegal immigrant. Police could only ask about an individual's immigration status if they are suspected of involvement in another crime.

It is now feared that the new bill will be used as a leeway for racial profiling, especially for the numerous Latino immigrants living in the state.

The passing of the SB1070 bill comes in the wake of the murder of local rancher Robert Krentz. It is alleged Krentz, 58, was killed after a confrontation with illegal immigrants in a potential case of drug carter scout, theft or retaliation.

In a press release posted on the website of Arizona State Legislature, the Arizona lawmakers called the new bill a new way to "protect churches, community organizations and civil rights."

The pro-immigration opponents of the new immigration bill protested the legislature and called the new law unconstitutional. The groups fear that the bill will make Arizona a "police state" and further strain relations between police and the immigrant community.

Arizona's Republican Governor Jan Brewer will have to sign the bill into law. Already, there is a petition online urging Arizonians to speak out against the bill and convince Governor Brewer to boycott the legislature.

Sounds a lot like racial profiling to me. What does off topic think?

Leman.png

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Racial profiling? Well, yeah. When you're looking for illegal Mexican immigrants, you'll look at Mexican people. You'd think of all people you'd know that it's not hard to tell if someone's an illegal immigrant. A lot of my friends' parents and grandparents are. Arizona has it worse than Texas though (excluding El Paso) - a lot more drug trafficking and the like goes through there, rather than people just looking for a better life.

Now, I doubt many cops will just stop Mexicans walking down the streets and demand an ID. This is more Arizona flexing their muscle and trying to scare folks than anything.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Something needs to be done in the Southwest. I don't care if people come to live here. I do care when people are carting these folks over as freaking slaves. It's a huge problem in Texas and it's hard to deal with. Even if you see it, you (as a legal citizen) are afraid to turn in either the slavers or the slaves out of fear that the innocent people will get killed or end up starving on the streets down in Mexico when they can at least somewhat live here.

It's a bad situation and states need to crack down on it. The only way to stop the slavery is to raise awareness and make it not worthwhile to bring people up here to use as slaves. One way to do that is deporting the immigrants and offering them legal protection in order to give information on the cartels and syndicates that brought them here. Maybe even offer legal citizenship or a work visa as rewards.

The reason people want to come to America is to escape poverty and strife. At the moment, that''s what most of them find here. Things at home need to change before we can fix our immigration system.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

It's much needed and about time, I actually had a resolution in Lincoln Douglas Debate about granting illegal immigrants amnesty. They withdraw so much money, and the added amount of security and social services to these illegals totals up to hundreds of billions. In some cities by the Mexican border, up to 90% murder warrants are for illegal Mexican nationals, I believe in Albuquerque it was 82 or 86%. Legislation should specifically target Mexican illegal immigration as they make up around 600,000 of the 700,000 illegals a year.

I think New Jersey needs legislation like this. National ID cards should be issued so that racial profiling would not be an issue and an arrest could not be made for forgetting your National ID because it would be in a system.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

This law is nothing but racist bigotry written in the form of a law. All of this talk about "Well if Obama won't do anything, the states have to secure their borders themselves." Bullocks. I'm not a fan of George Bush, obviously. In fact I can't find more than 5 things in his presidency to praise him for. However, there's one thing that always stuck out to me that wasn't radically far-right, and was in fact sensible legislation that I could support: his immigration reform bill. It was a decent bill, something certainly worth supporting. What happened? His own party balked him, in what is perhaps the only time in recent memory that the Republicans didn't stick together. Their racism and hatred for people who aren't white and male was too much to bear, and they just couldn't help themselves.

Granted, his bill wasn't something that I totally liked. For example, it didn't grant the people already here amnesty. However, it did give them a path to citizenship, and that's something that is fair and reasonable.

I expect the same thing to happen when/if Obama pushes his own immigration reform. Which is sad for two reasons: families are being broken apart by our draconian immigration system, and it desperately needs reform; and also because when it fails to pass people will end up supporting disgusting pieces of legislation like this one, as we can see in this very thread.

I'm not going to support any anti-immigration laws until America or the states pass more anti-crime laws with their own people AND be more anti-drug.

You're complaining about illegals commiting crimes here when you got whites and blacks doing [cabbage] here. You complain about drugs when whites and blacks from America make up the majority of the drug buyers of this hemisphere.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm not going to support any anti-immigration laws until America or the states pass more anti-crime laws with their own people AND be more anti-drug.

You're complaining about illegals commiting crimes here when you got whites and blacks doing [cabbage] here. You complain about drugs when whites and blacks from America make up the majority of the drug buyers of this hemisphere.

Yes! Let's ruin more people's lives by continuing to fund the failed drug war! That will show them.

Or, you know, we could legalize/decriminalize drugs and pump money into rehab, thereby taking away the drug cartel's profits and helping people who have a health problem, not a criminal problem.

Yes! Let's ruin more people's lives by continuing to fund the failed drug war! That will show them.

Or, you know, we could legalize drugs and pump money into rehab, thereby taking away the drug cartel's profits and helping people who have a health problem, not a criminal problem.

Congrats on missing my point. Who the [bleep] said I wanted more Drug War? Drugs won't ever go away and can't be stopped, so illegals won't ever go away and can't be stopped. If you can't beat them, join them.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

This law is nothing but racist bigotry written in the form of a law. All of this talk about "Well if Obama won't do anything, the states have to secure their borders themselves." Bullocks. I'm not a fan of George Bush, obviously. In fact I can't find more than 5 things in his presidency to praise him for. However, there's one thing that always stuck out to me that wasn't radically far-right, and was in fact sensible legislation that I could support: his immigration reform bill. It was a decent bill, something certainly worth supporting. What happened? His own party balked him, in what is perhaps the only time in recent memory that the Republicans didn't stick together. Their racism and hatred for people who aren't white and male was too much to bear, and they just couldn't help themselves.

Granted, his bill wasn't something that I totally liked. For example, it didn't grant the people already here amnesty. However, it did give them a path to citizenship, and that's something that is fair and reasonable.

I expect the same thing to happen when/if Obama pushes his own immigration reform. Which is sad for two reasons: families are being broken apart by our draconian immigration system, and it desperately needs reform; and also because when it fails to pass people will end up supporting disgusting pieces of legislation like this one, as we can see in this very thread.

Life's tough, get over it. And if you got in here illegally, you have no right to be in here. So get the [bleep] out and try again.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Life's tough, get over it. And if you got in here illegally, you have no right to be in here. So get the [bleep] out and try again.

Try again how? Sneaking back over again? And don't [bleep]ing say "get citizenship" because poor farmers/jobless Latinos WON'T be issued any VISAS or residencies or nothing. If you're a doctor or engineer or something better, then yes you would. But why would your country when you're top-dog already?

I don't get what you're trying to say with "life's tough". Not just because they come in America they're going to become rich and live life easily.

siggy3s.jpg

Why do you think they're here illegally? It's because our immigration laws are ridiculously and unnecessarily complex. Not to mention that immigration improves our economy, whereas deportation not only breaks up and ruins families, but decreases our country's GDP and wealth.

And all of this talk about undocumented workers using more services and such yet not paying any taxes? Get real. For one they don't have access to the same amount of services that citizens do. For two, the ones who are here illegally pay just about as much in taxes as a good portion of this country, possibly even more. They're also exploited by corporations and businesses, and don't have the same legal protections. That's what I call a piece of [cabbage] system.

This is why most of the rage about "illegals" (which isn't a grammatically correct phrase, by the way) is nothing but fomenting racism. There's literally no other reason to be so against "illegals" and reforming our immigration system.

This picture sums up our immigration laws:

07cf533ddb1d06350cf1ddb5942ef5ad.jpg

It comes from the right-wing publication Reason, too.

And Nick, I apologize. That's the tone that I got from your post. Again, I'm sorry.

Just going to raise my hand and point out that the original European settlers in North America were as illegal as the Mexican illegals are now (leaving Europe to get away from a [cabbage]yy life and heading to a much better place which they had no right to).

Nah but dude, you're forgetting live's tough. If the Europeans killed the Indians it is OK. Tough luck to the Indians you know?

siggy3s.jpg

Racism? Ummm ok. One sec:

"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others."

I always find it funny when people call anti-immigrationists racist, I don't really care what race you are. If you have something to add to our society then usually you'll be allowed in. If not... Sorry. USA is light years ahead of the world, maybe this is one of the reasons why. (Though I don't really know the immigration laws of other countries)

edit: Really Nick? Really? Wow ok. [bleep] you broseph.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

I always find it funny when people call anti-immigrationists racist, I don't really care what race you are. If you have something to add to our society then usually you'll be allowed in. If not... Sorry. USA is light years ahead of the world, maybe this is one of the reasons why. (Though I don't really know the immigration laws of other countries)

You do realize if the working illegals here become residents they're going to have to pay taxes right? Not volunteering to pay taxes BUT ACTUALLY FORCED TO.

You guys don't seem to realize that if an illegal who is working here, has a family, would LOVE to have a safeguard of means to stay in this country. They will put up with taxes as long as they can stay.

You know who won't put up with taxes? Criminals and drug traffickers. Those you can kick out I'll no qualms with that.

siggy3s.jpg

It's about time, and I think that Obama should really [bleep] off; the state has the right to control their immigration problems.

Oh, and this reminds me of the execution in Texas that happened not too long ago. Basically, the International Court of Justice was (and still is) trying to assert its authority over Texas, but the Texan government told them to bugger off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7542794.stm

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Would you prefer xenophobic? And it's racist because you will NOT see any white people being pulled over.

Sorry. USA is light years ahead of the world, maybe this is one of the reasons why.

Haha, no it's not. Who built the longest railroad of the time (Transcontintental Railroad)? Not Americans, Chinese.

Who's currently building all your roads, highways, and construction? Hispanics.

Who built the White House? Scotts.

Who build the various bridges, buildings, and roads in New York City? Irish and Italians.

So what are you trying to say here? WASPs made this country? The united people of this country, made and are making this country.

siggy3s.jpg

"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others."

Immigration is actually very beneficial for the US because it gives us a cheap labor force willing to do hard work for [cabbage]ty pay.

That's nice. Now we're talking about outsourcing American jobs and using foreigners for cheap "slave" labor. :thumbup:

God bless our corporations.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Would you prefer xenophobic?

Nah I would prefer criminalphobic? If such a word exists. I don't know what you do for a living Magekillr, but if you always make such idiotic assumptions about everything like I've noticed you have on this forum you won't get very far in life. I never said I was against races, and you know I didn't say that 'cause you're obviously literate. I simply said I don't want people in here illegally. And Rocco as I was going to say before Nick_6464 answered for me, I never said what the pilgrims did was right.

Immigration is actually very beneficial for the US because it gives us a cheap labor force willing to do hard work for [cabbage]ty pay.

That's nice. Now we're talking about outsourcing American jobs and using foreigners for cheap "slave" labor. :thumbup:

The point is that no Americans actually want to work as gardeners making minimum wage and 12 hour days. Immigrants are more than willing. I don't see the problem here.

And truthfully I would want to see this economy grow rather than that of Chinas.

siggy3s.jpg

The point is that no Americans actually want to work as gardeners making minimum wage and 12 hour days. Immigrants are more than willing. I don't see the problem here.

Who says there is a problem? Just get in legally. Heh. Thats the "endgame" response to basically everything. JUST GET IN LEGALLY. I mean [bleep] I'm sorry if life sucks wherever you live, but no one deals' fate's hand but fate itself.

That's not what is being said. What he/she did say, however, is that these people are being abused doing jobs for little money, and have very little legal protection because if they go to the law, they're out. Corporations know this, which is why they take advantage of this labor. Reforming the immigration system would give them the protections that they need, and end this abuse. This law does nothing of the sort, and it only exposes what remains of the GOP: old, white, xenophobic and racist people.

Who says there is a problem? Just get in legally. Heh. Thats the "endgame" response to basically everything. JUST GET IN LEGALLY. I mean [bleep] I'm sorry if life sucks wherever you live, but no one deals' fate's hand but fate itself.

You must be illiterate because you clearly didn't read the last page. The "legal way" takes up to 20 years.

Furhtermore, you're making yourself seem like an [wagon].

I read it. You must be illiterate because you've not read any of my posts?

And because of your pilgrim comment ,you're making yourself seem like a naive middle schooler.

Read the other posts up top, Sarustupid. Or take a glance at the poster Magekillr posted. If you have no relatives in the US and unskilled, you have absolutely no practical chance of making in legally.

Also, once you're in here, you could get a fake Social security card and pay taxes that way. Least then you're not working for crooks and have some sort of protection.

Also, again, stop thinking illegal status as a crime. You both believe in the American dream and liberty, but one of you doesn't have papers? How does that make sense?

siggy3s.jpg