SB1070 Immigration Bill passes in Arizona

mrpadre

You'll have to excuse me from reading through everyone post, but this bill disgusts me. Technically I'm not a resident of AZ but I've been living in AZ for almost three years now and I'll be here for at least another year. I understand the frustration with illegal immigration but this is not the right way to go about doing it. I don't have a better solution but this is going to lead to racial profiling. Honestly you can't seriously tell me you can tell someones residency status by looking at them, its a joke.

Exactly, thats why we should wear National ID cards but that would be "unconstitutional" because you can be tracked or whatever the hell paranoid "rights" advocates claim. People who are "rights crazy" think its like the only way you can be tracked hahaha, I guess none of them have a computer, cellphone, credit card, car with navigation system, etc.

If the American right wing convinced a huge part of the country that they couldn't afford the Healthcare reform that was passed how could the government ever justify spending huge amounts on a biometric ID card system that would be unfeasably expensive, difficult to enforce and which would just cause a general hassle to people going about their everyday lives.

Because it is for the purpose of security and great many new jobs while social healthcare is basically an inefficient transfer of someone who has health care paying to a firm to someone paying increased taxes for an inefficient government program so they also decide to have private insurance and now the people who don't work have more incentive to work as now they have free money and health care given to them while effectively reducing competition, jobs and our status as a capitalist nation.

Spain has an ID card system but that didn't prevent the Madrid rail bombings. A mass ID system is unworkable on a huge scale. There is no workable way that you can check everyone all the time when they go about their daily lives, it would cost a huge amount and have no real feasable return. If security is the arguement, then it still leaves you open to tourists (as you can't make a biometric ID on a whim) and homegrown terrorists - even if you racially profiled (which I don't condone) it would still be open for white muslim converts (I'm using Islamic militancy as the example here but the same principle applies for other groups obviously). In the case of illegal immigrants, the only way it would work is if you chose people on the streets and asked for their ID but that power can already be excercised in the US at the moment with the green card system

The only thing a mass ID scheme would do is waste an awful amount of money on a system that would provide little return.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I think I'm quite against this bill. It is racial profiling, but I understand the point that it's only logical to go after Mexican people anyway. On the nightly news a Hispanic man talking about the bill was saying how it isn't fair that he'll have to explain to his grandkids that the reason he's being pulled over by cops is because of the color of his skin. And in essence, that's completely true. I understand that there are problems with illegal immigration but I don't think it's nearly as big a deal as some make it out to be. The process of legally becoming a citizen just needs to be reformed to become more fair and efficient.

I honestly don't see how the naturalization process is unfair, especially since they apparently administer the tests in Spanish now. An immigrant who is moving to the United States should adopt our culture and our language if they want to live here anyway; it's just the right thing to do when you move to another country.

Our culture is in shambles, so obviously people are going to be for these tight immigration laws. We want them to conform. Otherwise, they're a threat to what remains of the Anglo-American culture. The WASPs came out dominant on this continent, so English is obviously the language of the majority. It doesn't sense to make copies of everything in Spanish and place them underneath the English signs. The only good thing that it does is force people to learn a secondary language, but it also creates a lot of tension between Anglophones and non-Anglophones.

Also, I have to agree with the poster above me. A national ID wouldn't help much, and it would just spark too much controversy over the associated costs and the fact that people will believe that it is an invasion of their privacy.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Hmm, I think I'm quite against this bill. It is racial profiling, but I understand the point that it's only logical to go after Mexican people anyway. On the nightly news a Hispanic man talking about the bill was saying how it isn't fair that he'll have to explain to his grandkids that the reason he's being pulled over by cops is because of the color of his skin. And in essence, that's completely true. I understand that there are problems with illegal immigration but I don't think it's nearly as big a deal as some make it out to be. The process of legally becoming a citizen just needs to be reformed to become more fair and efficient.

I honestly don't see how the naturalization process is unfair, especially since they apparently administer the tests in Spanish now. An immigrant who is moving to the United States should adopt our culture and our language if they want to live here anyway; it's just the right thing to do when you move to another country.

Our culture is in shambles, so obviously people are going to be for these tight immigration laws. We want them to conform. Otherwise, they're a threat to what remains of the Anglo-American culture. The WASPs came out dominant on this continent, so English is obviously the language of the majority. It doesn't sense to make copies of everything in Spanish and place them underneath the English signs. The only good thing that it does is force people to learn a secondary language, but it also creates a lot of tension between Anglophones and non-Anglophones.

Are you really that stupid?

You can't even TAKE the test so stop talking about it like every immigrant can automatically take the citizenship test. If it was that easy, they would do it. Come on.

Secondly, if you're worried about your WASP culture, wait a generation. Kids of immigrants are Americanized all right. Examples include me, my sister, and every Hispanic kid in my school.

As for the dual-language signs part, I agree that public signs is pointless. But for the private sector, it's all about getting more customers.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't think that this law is that bad of an idea. Its no worse then anything else which has been recently added.

In order for us to get jobs at other countries, we must go through a long and obnoxious process of getting a visa and then transferring our information. But these immigrants illegally cross the borders and take jobs that people say no one wants. I want a job at a factory cleaning toilets, but thanks to illegal immigration, I can;t get a job. I may not be able to continue college because of money issues but there are no jobs available for me.

I like immigrants who go through the process of getting citizenship the right way, ts the illegals who piss me off more than anyone else.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I don;t think its racial profiling at all.

In order for us to get jobs at other countries, we must go through a long and obnoxious process of getting a visa and then transferring our information. But these immigrants illegally cross the borders and take jobs that people say no one wants. I want a job at a factory cleaning toilets, but thanks to illegal immigration, I can;t get a job. I may not be able to continue college because of money issues but there are no jobs available for me.

I like immigrants who go through the process of getting citizenship the right way, ts the illegals who piss me off more than anyone else.

They terk our jerbs!!!

So being pulled over or confronted by a cop and asking you to prove your citizenship on the stop because of how you look is not racial profiling? Also your inability to not get a job is your own fault. Also how can you tell whose illegal or whose legal?

tFtfA.jpg

They terk our jerbs!!!

So being pulled over or confronted by a cop and asking you to prove your citizenship on the stop because of how you look is not racial profiling? Also your inability to not get a job is your own fault. Also how can you tell whose illegal or whose legal?

He's being sarcastic.

SWAG

They terk our jerbs!!!

I didn't mean to say it isn't racial profiling, I meant to say it isn't that bad. It is not my fault, that i can;t get a job, it is the economy + older people which is preventing me from getting a job. Someone my parents age are getting jobs that I would normally be getting. Illegal immigrants are also taking jobs which don't do a background check like construction and roofing.

I live near an area which is known to have a lot of illegal immigrants. There have been several locals deported because of not having legal citizenship.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

You people are so naive its almost sad. Everyone racial profiles, and in a lot of cases it helps. You as a cop see a black man walking down the street at 1am in a predominantly white neighborhood dressed in dark clothes what are you going to do? Coincidence? Doesn't matter because you are still going to stop him. Same thing with a middle to upperclass white man in a known drug area at 12-1am. It does not make sense for him to be there. There is a problem with illegals in the US and if you can't see it your blind as a bat. The only way to combat it is to racially profile, one by one, and get them off our streets. Good on you Arizona, keep up the good work. Get these leeches off of us. Glad you have the balls to do it since the federal government won't.

The American Government has turned way to soft. Problem is no one wants to offend anyone and everyone wants to be politically correct. Screw that, wake up to the world.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

You people are so naive its almost sad. Everyone racial profiles, and in a lot of cases it helps. You as a cop see a black man walking down the street at 1am in a predominantly white neighborhood dressed in dark clothes what are you going to do? Coincidence? Doesn't matter because you are still going to stop him. Same thing with a middle to upperclass white man in a known drug area at 12-1am. It does not make sense for him to be there. There is a problem with illegals in the US and if you can't see it your blind as a bat. The only way to combat it is to racially profile, one by one, and get them off our streets. Good on you Arizona, keep up the good work. Get these leeches off of us. Glad you have the balls to do it since the federal government won't.

The American Government has turned way to soft. Problem is no one wants to offend anyone and everyone wants to be politically correct. Screw that, wake up to the world.

And a Mexican man walking down the street at a suitable time of day would be probable cause? Really, what separates me, white, from a typical illegal immigrant, who is Hispanic? Skin color, and that's basically it. So if they wouldn't search a Caucasian, but they would search a Hispanic, that's racial profiling, which is unconstitutional. All I can hope for is that this bill will go to the Supreme Court and be deemed as such.

Although, I do know that my Arizonan government is just trying to protect me, with this law, and the one that they just passed which makes it so you can carry a concealed weapon without a permit! I feel so safe! We're also 49th in spending per student.

I just feel really disgusted to live in Arizona right now.

Leman.png

So wait, you are against racial profiling being unconstitutional.....yet you dislike the idea of anyone being able to carry a weapon? LOL Well sir, the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." So please enlighten me how not requiring a concealed weapons permit is anything but a constitutional right.

What separates you? You are a citizen of the US, and assuming you are old enough you pay taxes and vote. Thats a huge separation. It doesn't have to be racial profiling. Pull over a car for a violation, just so happens to be a mexican, run his info and comes back illegal...bam busted, ship him off. Easy enough. DUI checkpoints, License checkpoints....variety of ways the state can get around the "racial profiling". You don't have to racially profile someone to pull them over for a busted tail light, speeding, not using a blinker, tag light out, etc...any minor violation is probable cause to stop a person and dig deeper.

Again, go Arizona.

Gov. Jan Brewer signed the legislation Friday, citing border-related crime as a key factor. She also issued an executive order that requires additional training for local officers on how to implement the law without engaging in racial profiling or discrimination.
This law will allow local law enforcement in the course of their duties to question individuals in regards to their immigration status.
"The bill requires reasonable suspicion for officers to make contact and also contains language that allows officers discretion in enforcing the law," a statement on the group's website says. "Officers cannot stop a person based solely on race, color, or national origin."

People should really read more into it.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

You people are so naive its almost sad. Everyone racial profiles, and in a lot of cases it helps.

Are you kidding me, dude? Everyone racial profiles, and in a lot of cases it helps? You're a prime example of why our court system is clogged to hell and disproportionately convicts black people. Next you're going to say that it's a great idea if we racially profile at the airport for Muslims...you know, to prevent terrorism!

There is a problem with illegals in the US and if you can't see it your blind as a bat.

You're right, there is problem...namely, they don't have the same legal protections at their working place that you and I do, and their families are broken apart when parents of children get deported. That is a problem.

The only way to combat it is to racially profile, one by one, and get them off our streets.

Jesus christ. How does that solve the problem? This is completely economically infeasible, as I posted earlier. Do you know how much it costs per case to actually deport someone? Why do you want to waste tax dollars to reduce our GDP and break families apart, when it won't even solve the problem? This is why any talk about "fiscal sanity" from the right-wingers is nothing but. You're making claims from knee-jerking xenophobia, not anything based on facts and logic.

Get these leeches off of us. Glad you have the balls to do it since the federal government won't.

Leaches? Talk about dehumanizing racist [cabbage], you're perhaps the worst on this thread. They pay taxes, they don't get a lot of the same services that citizens get, how are they leaches again? A lot of them are in the lower income bracket, so even if they were citizens they wouldn't be paying that much more in taxes than they are now.

Lol, wow, if racially profiling is a politically correct issue to you, then I'm not sure how far your ability to offend really goes. So much for following the constitution, jackass. This bill violates the 4th amendment, and possibly also violates the 5th and 6th amendments as well.

And 1_man_army is correct about a national ID system. Terrorists and criminals will continue to be able to obtain -- by legal and illegal means -- the documents needed to get a government ID, such as birth certificates. Two, it would create a system of internal passports that would significantly diminish the freedom and privacy of law-abiding citizens. You talk about Social Security numbers, and you're exactly right. This is exactly why we shouldn't limit our freedom anymore than we already have.

There's a lot more reasons to be against such a system, but it can be summed up as such: it's an economically infeasible solution which reduces our freedom and liberty, and doesn't even solve the problem.

Illegal Immigrants are taking jobs. LOL! What [cabbage]. If you apply for a job and an illegal gets it instead of you then you don't deserve to get the job in the first place.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Get these leeches off of us. Glad you have the balls to do it since the federal government won't.

Leaches? Talk about dehumanizing racist [cabbage], you're perhaps the worst on this thread. They pay taxes, they don't get a lot of the same services that citizens get, how are they leaches again? A lot of them are in the lower income bracket, so even if they were citizens they wouldn't be paying that much more in taxes than they are now.

So you are seriously going to sit there and believe illegals pay taxes? Get real. They get paid under the table, thats why its a big shock when its discovered a company employs a bunch of illegals. They don't pay taxes dude.

Like I said before, I'm not a racist I just hate those here illegally. You get a US Citizenship i'll fight and die for you and your family. Its really not that hard to get here legally...whats the big deal. Get a card, join the military, just come here legally! The whole reason we put the freaking citizenship and naturalization tests in Spanish was to cater to Mexican immigrants....use it! The test consists of 10 questions....yes 10 questions and you must get at least 6 right. Not that hard.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Whats actually wrong with a black man walking down a predominantly white neighborhood? The only point you've made is that you still believe in negative racial stereotypes. Could it ever occur to you that its possible that he could live in that neighborhood, make the same amount of money as everyone else, but just happens to be taking a walk late at night? Would you stop a white man if he was dressed the same doing the something?

Gov. Jan Brewer signed the legislation Friday, citing border-related crime as a key factor. She also issued an executive order that requires additional training for local officers on how to implement the law without engaging in racial profiling or discrimination.
This law will allow local law enforcement in the course of their duties to question individuals in regards to their immigration status.
"The bill requires reasonable suspicion for officers to make contact and also contains language that allows officers discretion in enforcing the law," a statement on the group's website says. "Officers cannot stop a person based solely on race, color, or national origin."

People should really read more into it.

Believing everything works out like it is suppose to naive. How could someone reasonably suspect someone of being here illegal? What does an illegal immigrant look like? And the truth is people come to this country illegally from all over it isn't just mexico.

tFtfA.jpg

So you are seriously going to sit there and believe illegals pay taxes? Get real. They get paid under the table, thats why its a big shock when its discovered a company employs a bunch of illegals. They don't pay taxes dude.

Like I said before, I'm not a racist I just hate those here illegally. You get a US Citizenship i'll fight and die for you and your family. Its really not that hard to get here legally...whats the big deal. Get a card, join the military, just come here legally! The whole reason we put the freaking citizenship and naturalization tests in Spanish was to cater to Mexican immigrants....use it! The test consists of 10 questions....yes 10 questions and you must get at least 6 right. Not that hard.

The problem is, its not that easy to get here legally and to "get a card." What the U.S needs to do is to somehow allow Illegal immigrants who have already been here for a while to become legal or deport them. This would allow them to either pay a fee and eventually become citizens if they want to be legal or they would have to be deported. No use in deporting people who want to be here, they will just come back illegally again. Some of my friends are illegal, and they want to be legal, but they would have to go back to their home country and who knows how long it will take to get a card from there. Could be anywhere from 2-10 years and no one wants to risk that.

The problem is, its not that easy to get here legally and to "get a card." What the U.S needs to do is to somehow allow Illegal immigrants who have already been here for a while to become legal or deport them. This would allow them to either pay a fee and eventually become citizens if they want to be legal or they would have to be deported. No use in deporting people who want to be here, they will just come back illegally again. Some of my friends are illegal, and they want to be legal, but they would have to go back to their home country and who knows how long it will take to get a card from there. Could be anywhere from 2-10 years and no one wants to risk that.

I support this ideology, but not the practicality. This will cause more people to come over a boarder in a panic rush trying to get amnesty. Also, lets take what happened in Ugly Betty lol. Regan granted amnesty, but the dad was running from the law cause he committed a crime, so he didn't receive amnesty. Cases like these, I fear are more common than not.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

i have heard the time for a MEXICAN CITIZEN to get a green card to come to US from the time they turn in the application to by the time its processed and accepted is 15-20 yrs. who the [bleep] in the right mind is gonna wait that long. and if u want to argue the stat than i suggest u research it up. it took my dad's side of the family 10+yrs alone to get their cards to come live in the US from the middle east.

i have heard the time for a MEXICAN CITIZEN to get a green card to come to US from the time they turn in the application to by the time its processed and accepted is 15-20 yrs. who the [bleep] in the right mind is gonna wait that long. and if u want to argue the stat than i suggest u research it up. it took my dad's side of the family 10+yrs alone to get their cards to come live in the US from the middle east.

Exactly. Especially when you are living a really hard life in your home country.

This is such a difficult issue, thank god I live in Canada.

Maybe the US could devote more effort to helping improve the quality of life in Mexico, that would definitely help.

But as for the law....I don't think its unconstitutional in and of itself, rather it allows for unconstitutional actions without reprimand.

Bottom line, illegal immigrants are people too.. and misfortune by birth (aka being born in Mexico rather than the States) shouldn't have to screw you over for life.

I like the idea of streamlining the immigration process, obviously people will freeload but the benefits would far outweight the disadvantages.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Maybe the US could devote more effort to helping improve the quality of life in Mexico, that would definitely help.

But as for the law....I don't think its unconstitutional in and of itself, rather it allows for unconstitutional actions without reprimand.

Bottom line, illegal immigrants are people too.. and misfortune by birth (aka being born in Mexico rather than the States) shouldn't have to screw you over for life.

I like the idea of streamlining the immigration process, obviously people will freeload but the benefits would far outweight the disadvantages.

We give so much of ourselves to so many "poor little countries :(" and we get nothing in return. And the rest of the world still hates us, hah. So why bother.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

We give so much of ourselves to so many "poor little countries :(" and we get nothing in return. And the rest of the world still hates us, hah. So why bother.

We could invade Mexico like we did back in '47. We get more land, and the Mexicans get a better life.

Flawless!

SWAG

yh. like red dawn but opposite

So you are seriously going to sit there and believe illegals pay taxes? Get real.

Well considering they pay sales taxes, gas taxes, and would pay estate taxes if they owned a house (indirectly if they rent), that would prove you wrong on that claim alone. Second, I have evidence, you do not:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18077009/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9615621

That's from 2010 alone.

Here's one from 2006:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/04/12/undocumented_workers_contribute_plenty/

Where's your evidence? The answer is that you have none; you have nothing but claims that are based on knee-jerking xenophobia and not grounded in fact and reason.

The fact is, they pay more or less just as much in taxes to fund their local schools and services as any other citizen, and get less in return. You can argue that they aren't paying anything federally (outside of Medicare and SS), but neither does 50% of America because they're too poor. Moreover, SS and Medicare/Medicaid make up the bulk of the budget anyway. Adding on to that even more, their income levels are pretty small, so it's likely that you would see little increases in federal revenues when they get added to the stream.

Like I said before, I'm not a racist I just hate those here illegally.

You've demonstrated your racism, as stevepole pointed out. You can say that you don't have malicious racist tendencies, perhaps, but you do express racist beliefs. You've also expressed your support for racial profiling, which is unconstitutional and racist.

You get a US Citizenship i'll fight and die for you and your family. Its really not that hard to get here legally...whats the big deal.

That's where you're wrong. It is VERY hard to get here legally. That's why there's such a big push to get immigration reform through the federal government. These people WANT to be citizens, but they're unable to because of our ridiculous laws. It's not as easy as just taking a test. You think anyone who wants to come here can be like, "Where is that test for me to take?" If it were that easy, we wouldn't have this problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they know more about our government and civics than most Americans.

Oh, and here's a foreshadowing of what will be a regular occurrence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzxjd3B8Ik

And you know that this bill went too far when Tom Tancrendo thinks it went too far:

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/04/26/tancredo_says_arizona_law_goes_too_far.html