Stephen Hawking warns against aliens

Guy

Article

Stephen Hawking said about aliens: "I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach." :ohnoes:

I think that it is a perfectly rational idea, although it does sound a little like star wars or the like... :mrgreen:

What do you think?

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's been said a lot of-course - based on the combinatorics, the likelihood of there being other life out there is very very large. As Stephen Hawking stated though - we can't know what they'd be like! ;)

Quite an obvious thought too is that anything we 'propose' they could be like is entirely based upon our own influences from this world, our imagination, stories etc. It's quite a limited perspective to have if you think about it - there are masses of possibilities as to what 'alien' species could be like, we really can't guess at it! However - it's always interesting to speculate and so long as people realise that there's no harm to it either. I do find it funny that they've taken the slightly more alarming proposal from Hawking's speech and emphasised that! :P

Yeah I think it's most likely that there are aliens out there, perhaps as intelligent as humans.

But why would they try to conquer and colonise our planet looking for resources?

It would make more sense that they find empty planets for resources.

I would think that they would be just as excited to meet aliens as we are, and that they would 'come in peace'... lol

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

At first, I was like :rolleyes: then I read the article and I was like :eek:

Personally, I didn't believe in Aliens until I read that - 100B Planets... wow.

It's rather ignorant to believe that we're the ONLY living organisms in a mixture of 100 billion planets. I told my mum and she was like :mellow:

But wow... 100 Billion planets? O_O

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

At first, I was like :rolleyes: then I read the article and I was like :eek:

Personally, I didn't believe in Aliens until I read that - 100B Planets... wow.

It's rather ignorant to believe that we're the ONLY living organisms in a mixture of 100 billion planets. I told my mum and she was like :mellow:

But wow... 100 Billion planets? O_O

100 billion galaxies that is, each with hundreds of millions of stars :!:

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Yeah I think it's most likely that there are aliens out there, perhaps as intelligent as humans.

But why would they try to conquer and colonise our planet looking for resources?

It would make more sense that they find empty planets for resources.

I would think that they would be just as excited to meet aliens as we are, and that they would 'come in peace'... lol

*looks at most people on this Earth*

Aliens take one look at them, and we're [bleep]ed.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Yeah, I mean if they exist, they'd have to have cracked the speed limit of light travel if they'd have a chance to find us, which is supposedly physically impossible.

EDIT: If I were Jarred Diamond, I'd feel extremely humbled right now. As far as I know, he was the first to warn humans that sending out signals to potential aliens was a death sentence of the human race. He probably wasn't the first to come up with the idea, but it was from him where I heard it formulated and clearly explained the best. And now that Stephen Hawking agrees with him, using one of his own examples (Columbus in America), it's just cool.

hiccup.png

Did Stephen Hawking watch Independence day?

kWMd.gifI0SK.gifSC6s.gifYI0G.gif

If you click on them they hatch or grow up faster and look awesomer!!!

87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot. If you're one of the 42% of statistics that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig. In addition, 126.324% of the previous statement does not make sense.

I was thinking about this... If (today) aliens landed on our planet, what would happen? :unsure: Like would we try to quarantine/study them or try to kill them right away or try to be peaceful or something? >.>

If aliens have the technology to travel to Earth, than they're a [cabbage] load more advanced than we are, unless they live in our solar system and even then they still probably would be. Because of that we can assume that their weapons tech is superior to our own. Logically when someone has superior weapons, you avoid engaging them in a conflict unless you definitely have more resources at your disposal. That would mean that anything other than attempting peaceful coexistence would be suicide.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I was thinking about this... If (today) aliens landed on our planet, what would happen? :unsure: Like would we try to quarantine/study them or try to kill them right away or try to be peaceful or something? >.>

District 9 s0n

idk I mean 100b+ planets yea theres going to be some aliens I guess... Aliens just seem far fetched, I think I watch too much nerdy sci-fi.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

To be honest, even if there are aliens that are conscious and are as advanced (if not more advanced) than humans, there is a very very very very very very vehehehehehehery (Dr Cox style, for any Scrubs fans out there) SMALL chance that they could even contact humans, let alone show up in their laser powered shops of doom. The universe is a pretty frigging big place, and even travelling at the speed of light (or faster for that matter,) you won't get very far, very fast.

Do I believe they exist? Undoubtedly yes. Even though the conditions for human life are very specific, the universe has a near infinite amount of shots to get it right. And those seem like pretty good odds to me.

Now the mole people living below the surface of the Earth? That is something that is a REAL threat!

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

Earth has very little resources compared to most uninhabited planets. I mean, there are planets that make earth look like an asteroid that are made of gas that can be used as fuel etc.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

If they're so god damn advance why wouldn't they build an artificial planet and take material from a star to make iron or whatever else they need.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Actually what I want to know is this:

Why does everyone think Aliens will be advanced? Serious? What if they are neanderthals essentially? I mean I personally don't believe they exist, however as stated earlier its mathematically possible, it just doesn't coincide with my religion.

I mean Stargate offered a reasonable answer, most other aliens didn't have the "dark ages" like we did, so thats why they were more advanced. But I think the odds of them being primordial idiots is to be more likely the case.

& valid point NICK LOL

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

Why does everyone think Aliens will be advanced? Serious? What if they are neanderthals essentially? I mean I personally don't believe they exist, however as stated earlier its mathematically possible, it just doesn't coincide with my religion.

I mean Stargate offered a reasonable answer, most other aliens didn't have the "dark ages" like we did, so thats why they were more advanced. But I think the odds of them being primordial idiots is to be more likely the case.

They wouldn't be able to reach us if they were primordial idiots

Guest Mrmegakirby

If there are 100 billion planets, why would an alien race choose a planet as small and polluted as ours?

(And, out of those 100 billion planets, how many are gas giants)

Thats my point

Thats my point

You think there is only one other life-form in the universe...?

Did I say that? nope