Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stephen Hawking warns against aliens

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Lord_Omar_Iv
[ Display Name History ]

Lord_Omar_Iv

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Lord Omar Iv
  • RSN2:Bobby Lite

the chance of there not being thousands, if not millions of other populated planets among the countless billions upon billions of planets out there amongst our 100 bilion plus galaxies is so stupidly small, it'd be a cruel joke of nature if we're the only advanced biological lifeform out there. the chance of this life having evolved into a form resembling our own is however roughly the same, there are so many minute differences in the evolutionary chain from the single celled organism that life must start out as, its just imposible that many of these worlds have actually evolved a humanoid lifeform that has then survived.
and as for people saying well why would aliens come along and throw us into oblivion for our small, crowded planet, well because the opposite would require morals, and morals are a very human thoght pattern.

the evolutionary chain/cycle on another planet, solar system, galaxy can possibly have a huge variance of speed faster or even slower than our own.... your post sounds as if it's assuming evolution is only a slow progression as if it were a Constant when in fact there are instances of fast progression of evolution on our own planet

DUELMASTER30
[ Display Name History ]

DUELMASTER30

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Duelmaster30
  • Clan:LK, TSG
To some of the people who were talking about 100 billion planets, that is most likely not even close to the real number. With at least four hundred billion galaxies that we have seen with a moderate estimate of one hundred billion stars with let's say, three planets each. (This smallish number is to compensate for binary or higher systems of stars, which are much more common than our sun which is in fact a rarity on it's own) That comes out to (400,000,000,000)(100,000,000,000)(3) You can do the math to see the possibilities.

99s

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55
  • Clan:SODB

However, you must remember that you can't just make a possibility into a certainty.

indeed, but as i said, it would an extremely sick joke of nature if were the only advanced biological lifeforms.

Yea I know. My mom says that somewhere in the Bible it says God only made Earth for humans. I can't find the verse, so shes probably making [cabbage] up like she usually does. And I know there probably is life out there, but you can't say there are aliens. If you're looking at it from an atheistic stand point, theres actually more proof for God than aliens. IMO.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

paul191600
[ Display Name History ]

paul191600

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Kill the peaceful aliens, reverse-engineer their technology, plunder their resources. Rinse and repeat = profit??!
(I wonder what the different governments would actually do if they had the opportunity)

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit

Why does everyone think Aliens will be advanced? Serious? What if they are neanderthals essentially? I mean I personally don't believe they exist, however as stated earlier its mathematically possible, it just doesn't coincide with my religion.

If there are aliens out there, there will be ones much less technologically advanced. However, the ones that do find us will be far more technologically advanced.

I'd just rather we avoid them if possible, and if there was contact, it would be to negotiate a mutual agreement so that we can peacefully exist and keep to our own areas.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
All I want is a Star Trek future, and I'll be happy :P I do think aliens exist, I just hope some day we can find them :D

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Nabbagad
[ Display Name History ]

Nabbagad

Retired TET Leader

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  • RSN:Nabbagad

Yea I know. My mom says that somewhere in the Bible it says God only made Earth for humans. I can't find the verse, so shes probably making [cabbage] up like she usually does. And I know there probably is life out there, but you can't say there are aliens. If you're looking at it from an atheistic stand point, theres actually more proof for God than aliens. IMO.

I don't understand, why couldn't there be God and aliens? I don't think the bible ever says that aliens don't exist.
Posted Image
My 99s (7)

Lord_Omar_Iv
[ Display Name History ]

Lord_Omar_Iv

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Lord Omar Iv
  • RSN2:Bobby Lite

I don't understand, why couldn't there be God and aliens? I don't think the bible ever says that aliens don't exist.

ya, cause that would be the next best scapegoat reason religion would have to keep believing in god

Kiriyama
[ Display Name History ]

Kiriyama

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,073 posts
  • RSN:Kiriyama

However, you must remember that you can't just make a possibility into a certainty.

indeed, but as i said, it would an extremely sick joke of nature if were the only advanced biological lifeforms.

All that verse says is that this planet was created for us.

It doesn't say he didn't create other planets for other lifeforms. Neither does it say it does, but you can't say which is correct without seeing other lifeforms, or asking God.
Posted Image
Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55
  • Clan:SODB

Never said there couldn't be. All I'm *trying* to say is:

Proof for aliens:
Basically the chance of there being no other aliens is so small... Well its like yeah. (lol)

Proof for God:
Really gonna not get into this, debating God on off-topic is [developmentally delayed]ed. But for the Christians out there the proof they have is more than "the chance of there not being a god is so "infinitesimal"

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
The one thing that strikes me about aliens is how perfect the earth is...just reading the wikipedia article tons of things jump out at me. Such as "30 km away, it would be too hot" "only known planet to have this composition, out of thousands studied", stuff like that. The Earth really is a miracle in many ways, which makes me think it's unlikely there is any other life out there.

But on the other hand, I'm a beleiver in God, and I beleive he wouldn't waste time. Why make so many planets if there was really no purpose for them?

In terms of an alien invasion, I think we can assume that knowing what we do about the universe they would have to be advanced to make it here in the first place. There's no solid proof an "invasion" is incoming, and even if there was their technology would be more than enough to eliminate us, so why worry about it?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Bier
[ Display Name History ]

Bier

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Bier

"30 km away, it would be too hot"

What should be 30 km away from what?
Posted Image

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

Kill the peaceful aliens, reverse-engineer their technology, plunder their resources. Rinse and repeat = profit??!
(I wonder what the different governments would actually do if they had the opportunity)

One of the funniest things mentioned about topic like these was this quote:

"If we ever find aliens, the first thing we'll do is Christianize them."

The whole Exploration Era (1500s-1700s) will return for space.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

assassin_696
[ Display Name History ]

assassin_696

The Karma Police

• Members
  • 6,963 posts
I think he makes an interesting point which probably hasn't been made quite so publicly before. You could also subscribe to the view point that any sufficiently advanced species will eventually destroy itself (a road we could well be going down, and almost went down in the past).

Anyway, I think the probability of there being some kind of life somewhere else in the universe is so close to one it hurts, I mean there are good candidates for life elsewhere in just our solar system. That life could have a very different chemistry/biology to us, but I think that in many ways it would be more similar than we might expect. I mean if we're looking for candidates of intelligent life then we're looking for Earth-like planets which will have similar selective pressures in terms of evolution as ours, and so by convergent evolution our "design" may well be optimal across the universe for planets similar to ours. Speculative, but interesting.
"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

If the aliens find us first, they probably have better technology, and would probably try to convert us.
Generally, depending on who finds who, we might be on the receiving end of the whole colonize and exploit thing.

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

If the aliens find us first, they probably have better technology, and would probably try to convert us.
Generally, depending on who finds who, we might be on the receiving end of the whole colonize and exploit thing.

That works too. :mrgreen:
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

lordkafei
[ Display Name History ]

lordkafei

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • RSN:Kafei Nation
The idea of colonizing aliens goes way back before Independence Day. Try reading David Gerrold's Chtorr series for a real gut-check.

Imagine a multi-generational ship bringing aliens + their equivalent of crops & livestock. They aren't coming to blow up the White House - they are coming to start a new ecosystem.

And the only way you fit into this new ecosystem is as an appetizer.

:shock:

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
I'm actually beginning to think the colonizing alien stories come from history. They're either showing that exploiting the environment is only fun when we're the exploiters or warning about what we could be doing if we clean out the planet.

On a funny, off-topic note, I'm reading all of the white text on black background links in your sig through the deflection skin.

Nabbagad
[ Display Name History ]

Nabbagad

Retired TET Leader

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  • RSN:Nabbagad

Never said there couldn't be. All I'm *trying* to say is:

Proof for aliens:
Basically the chance of there being no other aliens is so small... Well its like yeah. (lol)

Proof for God:
Really gonna not get into this, debating God on off-topic is [developmentally delayed]ed. But for the Christians out there the proof they have is more than "the chance of there not being a god is so "infinitesimal"

Ohh I see what you mean now haha. Sorry it was the wording :unsure:

The one thing that strikes me about aliens is how perfect the earth is...just reading the wikipedia article tons of things jump out at me. Such as "30 km away, it would be too hot" "only known planet to have this composition, out of thousands studied", stuff like that. The Earth really is a miracle in many ways, which makes me think it's unlikely there is any other life out there.

But on the other hand, I'm a beleiver in God, and I beleive he wouldn't waste time. Why make so many planets if there was really no purpose for them?

In terms of an alien invasion, I think we can assume that knowing what we do about the universe they would have to be advanced to make it here in the first place. There's no solid proof an "invasion" is incoming, and even if there was their technology would be more than enough to eliminate us, so why worry about it?

Well the earth is only perfect to us because we evolved and adpated to its conditions.

But at the same time I agree with you, it seems that the way everything is for us, is slightly too convenient... lol :D
Posted Image
My 99s (7)

Arcantica
[ Display Name History ]

Arcantica

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 212 posts
When Columbus came, he raped, butchered, and murdered our men women and children. (yet the history books make him out to be a hero)

Let's just hope the Aliens don't do the same thing.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users