A Second Bonus Week

Grimy_Bunyip

What if they awarded players a lamp in which they could use to get higher experience for their next 10 hours, thus allowing them to chose when they use it?

They could use this as an anniversary present, you know, the day your avatar was made, or when you hit landmarks (1000x hours play time, 6 months membership, etc). Fair to all, does not screw up economy for one day... someone mind posting this in that thread?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People use the economy to support and downtalk any issues on runescape, Personally, I enjoyed bonus weekend, i DON'T CARE what effect it had on the economy, it was the first time i spent 5 or 6 hours grinding a skill and ENJOYED it. in years.

99 were "undervalued" the day jagex added macros in the form of make x to the game. Dont get all whiney and elitist because your cape was devalued for a weekend if someone played die hard and smart for 4-6 hours because from my standpoint, your 99's are macro'ed if they were done with a make x. infact, the longer you have had the cape, the cheaper you got it for anyway, making double xp weekend people STILL PAY MORE.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second.

Hell, if I slayed ALL but 800 bursted crims for 99 summoning, I feel I earned my summoning cape.

HOWEVER. It did mess with the economy, and normal training, for WEEKS. That is why I think it should be either a lower rate, or a set rate for a certain amount of time or xp.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Thank GOD. I've had 300M of my money - which is most of it - invested in Kwuarms since their recenet unusual drop to an all time low in years. I bought 300M worth at around 5000 each, which was a good idea, but some unnatural force made kwuarms continue to crash and stay there. Next bonus weekend they'll finally sell. I prefer not losing over 50M for something that should have made money. They've been in there for what, 3 months now? <_< That's all I want from this bonus xp weekend - my money back.

HOWEVER. It did mess with the economy, and normal training, for WEEKS. That is why I think it should be either a lower rate, or a set rate for a certain amount of time or xp.

Yet how is that going to solve anything? The reason things were bought out for weeks was because it was announced WEEKS in advance. And you could buy things from the ge/players--you just had to be prepared to wait for a bit or shell out extra cash. By limiting or lowering the exp bonuses you are not solving the problem, as merching clans will still buy out the stock so long as there is advanced notice.

Now though that we know to expect bonus weekends in the future, have either a cache of money or supplies squirreled away for future use. Complaining about what future bonus exp events might have when you know they're coming is like complaining that you were told to move out of your house because a hurricane was coming.

Be prepared.

hzvjpwS.gif

Now though that we know to expect bonus weekends in the future, have either a cache of money or supplies squirreled away for future use. Complaining about what future bonus exp events might have when you know they're coming is like complaining that you were told to move out of your house because a hurricane was coming.

Be prepared.

I feel that that's unfair to the players, who shouldn't be expected to hoard things in fear of being left behind come the next bonus weekend.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If we get another bonus weekend this year, I will be making it a habit to hoard and never use my charms in anticipation of these weekends. I'll probably do the same for herblore. I'm actually already starting to hoard summoning seconds since reading this thread.

And that's really sad.

Nobody is forcing you to do it. Your doing it of your own free will yet complaining about being forced to participate.

And that's really sad.

But it'd be much less work and money to simply hoard my charms, so why wouldn't I do it if I knew to expect another bonus weekend within a reasonable amount of time? One of the clinches of MMOs is that you do feel forced to do certain things, and bonus exp weekends are one of those things (many MMOs have them regularly).

Are there any skills that you do not enjoy doing? Do you train those skills? Why? Because you feel that you have to.

And that's really sad. :rolleyes:

But you cant really blame Jagex for that, can you? :?

And that's...wait, no.

I feel that that's unfair to the players, who shouldn't be expected to hoard things in fear of being left behind come the next bonus weekend.

That's fair enough, but that's also the reason why Jagex announced these things ahead of time in very public and well-covered ways. It seems a shame to essentially 'nerf' the nice give-back aspect of these events because of a completely unrelated issue: merchanting clans and the grand exchange. That, I think, is more unfair than just asking people to plan for the future.

After all, is the every day casual player really going to get so distressed about not being able to grind out 'til the end of the multiplier as someone who is making long-term goals and going for maxed stats? Not really.

hzvjpwS.gif

Honestly these Bonus Exp weekends are silly. Theres a reason behind the XP rates of every skill.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

3-6-9 days of bonus xp per year vs 365 days of bonus xp per year is not on the same scale.

99s are never devaluated, only the opinion of people on their "status".

The amount of summoning xp i got during bonus week alone took me a year to get before bonus week.

the problem with bonus week was that IF it only gave an extra 10 or so hours of xp, that would be okay.

99's ARE devalued

But when used in combination with skills like herblore, summoning, and farming

skills that would otherwise require more preparation beforehand

a player saves alot more than 10 or so hours of xp.

furthermore players will tend to target skills such as herblore/summoning/farming unless the design of bonus week is altered.

it's not like people were just training the skills they normally trained during bonus week.

The skills that were trained were devalued moreso than other skills.

Naaxi.png

That's fair enough, but that's also the reason why Jagex announced these things ahead of time in very public and well-covered ways. It seems a shame to essentially 'nerf' the nice give-back aspect of these events because of a completely unrelated issue: merchanting clans and the grand exchange. That, I think, is more unfair than just asking people to plan for the future.

After all, is the every day casual player really going to get so distressed about not being able to grind out 'til the end of the multiplier as someone who is making long-term goals and going for maxed stats? Not really.

I disagree; I think merchanting clans and the broken GE are completely related, as they directly affect a player's ability to prepare for such a weekend. But it's not just clans, it's thousands of individuals all attempting to do the same thing: buy supplies.

Everyone is affected, casual or otherwise.

EDIT: I take that back; DIY'ers aren't affected to any significant degree as far as I can tell.

EDIT 2: I stand corrected. ^^^

dgs5.jpg

I'm looking forward to another bonus XP weekend. I don't consider it a moral indecency to get extra xp for a weekend when a million other people have the same opportunity as me. (and yes, I know that a certain amount of players have to go to a wedding or they are on vacation etc and won't be able to play, that's not Jagex's fault)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking forward to another bonus XP weekend. I don't consider it a moral indecency to get extra xp for a weekend when a million other people have the same opportunity as me. (and yes, I know that a certain amount of players have to go to a wedding or they are on vacation etc and won't be able to play, that's not Jagex's fault)

But that's simply not true. Take Toony001 for example -- he had tens of thousands of charms saved up which he used to take the #1 spot for summoning last bonus exp weekend. Not everyone has the same opportunity to stock up on supplies, especially in an economy where people will surely turn to junk trades to get the supplies they need upon announcement of a second bonus weekend. Who wins? Those who saved up charms or had the junk necessary to purchase their supplies.

dgs5.jpg

I disagree; I think merchanting clans and the broken GE are completely related, as they directly affect a player's ability to prepare for such a weekend. But it's not just clans, it's thousands of individuals all attempting to do the same thing: buy supplies.

Everyone is affected, casual or otherwise.

EDIT: I take that back; DIY'ers aren't affected to any significant degree as far as I can tell.

DIYers are most certainly affected. A while ago, Swamp Lizards were bought out (this was WAY before the Bonus XP Weekend). I was trying to use up a few of my charms, and my friend volunteered to help me. The two of us went to catch swamp lizards and found that we weren't the only ones with the same idea. We found that every spot was crowded, and people were fighting over the hunting spots. Among the people fighting for spots were DIYers (or those who claimed to be DIYers) who were training hunter while gathering their own summoning supplies.

When items are impossible to buy, some people resort to collecting their own. Others collect it to trade for other items impossible to purchase. This most definitely affects a lot of DIYers.

DIYers are most certainly affected. A while ago, Swamp Lizards were bought out (this was WAY before the Bonus XP Weekend). I was trying to use up a few of my charms, and my friend volunteered to help me. The two of us went to catch swamp lizards and found that we weren't the only ones with the same idea. We found that every spot was crowded, and people were fighting over the hunting spots. Among the people fighting for spots were DIYers (or those who claimed to be DIYers) who were training hunter while gathering their own summoning supplies.

When items are impossible to buy, some people resort to collecting their own. Others collect it to trade for other items impossible to purchase. This most definitely affects a lot of DIYers.

I stand corrected. I hadn't thought of hunter (which is a pretty big oversight, admittedly).

dgs5.jpg

I personally loved the exp weekend, for a few reasons.

One, I don't give a damn how many people have the same 99 as me, so I don't selfishly claim the skill as, "devalued." Yes, the prestige and rareness of the skill was lowered, but that is irrelevant anyways. The only logical concern with this that I've seen is the fact that the weekend will create more people capable of competing in the monsterhunting fields, which is a fairly isolated segment of the game anyways. Edit: And hunter too :P

Two, unlike other people who actually like their skills to be boring and unnecessarily long, I'm too impatient and in some cases too busy to grind skills I hate. The impatient part is my problem, that's fine, but if Jagex gives me an option to grind for half as long as I normally would to get levels that would make skills I actually like more fun, then I'll take it! Again, I personally don't give a damn about how many people also got overloads that weekend, and I'm pretty sure the point the Jagex mods were trying to drive home is that the majority of the logical RuneScape population won't either.

Three, I actually liked how the economy was turned upside down in the weeks before the weekend. It was fun doing a bunch of DIY tasks to get seconds/talon beast charms/herbs/etc. for the big day. Plus, some semi-profitable tasks became very profitable with the price changes, for example DK's were even better than before with the increase in the price of talismans, chaos druids/aberrant spectres were again, even better than before, and I'm pretty sure granite mining reached 1m/hour as well. Although I'm sure this is where most people will disagree with me, and I'm perfectly fine with that, since most arguments against this point are actually backed by logic :P

Do I care if Jagex makes another bonus weekend? Not really. If they don't, then that's fine; it won't have any effect on me. I'll continue playing runescape like I have for the past six years. If they do, then cool, more exp for me.

wl7w9j.png

But that's simply not true. Take Toony001 for example -- he had tens of thousands of charms saved up which he used to take the #1 spot for summoning last bonus exp weekend. Not everyone has the same opportunity to stock up on supplies, especially in an economy where people will surely turn to junk trades to get the supplies they need upon announcement of a second bonus weekend. Who wins? Those who saved up charms or had the junk necessary to purchase their supplies.

The better/smarter player always wins. Whats your point?

Because lazy = smart, right? Buying summoning supplies and procrastinating to use them hardly proves intelligence. There was no way he could have known about the weekend before any other player.

Off-Topic: I wonder if the Demo will get the Bonus XP this time around.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

If there is one I shall work on summoning and smithing. That would get me closer to 1800 :thumbup:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I stand corrected. I hadn't thought of hunter (which is a pretty big oversight, admittedly).

Hunter is just one example though. It just so happens that the first Bonus XP Weekend happened at around the time of the Ice Strykewyrms, when Staffs of Light were a big deal. With all the slayers and merchants trading their staves of light for some raw materials, even places like unicorns (unicorn horns) and Dagannoth Kings (Water Talismans) were crowded. The real big offenders were Summoning and Herblore, seeing as they're expensive, and in the case of summoning, slow, and Herblore just got the nice Overload potions. What if we get a nice smithing update first this time? Can we expect Adamant, Mithril, and Coal mines to be ridiculously crowded?

I personally liked one of the ideas voiced earlier, that is, to limit bonus XP weekend to particular skills. If I were to pick a list of skills, I would choose:

Attack

Strength

Defense

Prayer (Barring multipliers)

Fishing

Woodcutting

Mining

Hunter

Agility

Thieving

Runecrafting

Slayer

These skills can arguably still be bought to some extent, but that extent is minimal compared to the other skills. Also, I would make the experience multiplier lower (say, 1.5x), and constant. Instead of encouraging a prepare-and-use methodology like the first weekend did, it would be more of a suggestion as to how to spend the weekend should you choose to play RS. Also, there's no pressure to "save as much time as possible" like there was with the first weekend, meaning players could more likely find time to chat with each other. The crowding is still an issue, but it would be for the weekend only, and for several of these skills, crowds are not as big of an impact.

But honestly, creating weeks of turmoil as players scramble to find the materials they need, culminating in a massive, high pressure, low margin-for-error period of grinding feels like a mockery of this game. Especially when the only objective is to make this game easier... like I said before, I'd rather they simply double all experience gained in every skill permanently than suffer another Bonus XP Weekend of the same sort as the first.

Well, we did have the little problem of a sudden surge of competition that made it harder to gather our usual supplies... Which led to having to try to do things at weird times at night in hopes of getting things done.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Because lazy = smart, right? Buying summoning supplies and procrastinating to use them hardly proves intelligence. There was no way he could have known about the weekend before any other player.

Off-Topic: I wonder if the Demo will get the Bonus XP this time around.

Then its luck. Which has nothing to do with Jagex doing Bonus XP Weekends.

I'm not a huge fan of the bonus weekends, for someone like me that has all buyables and summoning at 99 already, they're basically a waste of time since the most it will save time wise is about 10 hours. Compare that to summon which can save you 100 hours of charm gathering they aren't exactly fair to all players that already put in the work in skills like Herblore/Summon.

If they could work out a balancing system the obvious one being for summon simply make it 2x charms as drops instead of exp then I would be more supportive.

~Matt~

crzyfatkidcopy2qg.png

~'The' Clan~

Then its luck. Which has nothing to do with Jagex doing Bonus XP Weekends.

Are you really that [developmentally delayed]ed or are you just trolling? It's not luck like a soloed Armadyl hilt. It's an update that completely ruins the Runescape experience for weeks. It forces players to grind, hoard, and no-life when they otherwise wouldn't. When the first weekend was announced, some players just happened to be either loaded with charms or had the junk to buy unbuyable herbs and seconds. It turned Runescape upside down for everyone.

I completely agree with Soma's post a little ways up. I wouldn't mind a bonus weekend if it only affected mostly unbuyable skills and had a lower, static multiplier.

dgs5.jpg

No, please don't do another weekend. The last weekend killed GWD. Thousands of people got 88+ summoning, and probably thousands also got 89+ herblore. The competition got MUCH fiercer after the exp weekend, and the prices of all GWD items plummeted as a result.

The only way I find another exp weekend to be acceptable is if one of two scenarios takes place:

1) They ONLY give the bonus for the unbuyable or mostly-unbuyable skills; i.e. fishing, mining, hunting, wcing, slayer, rc, farming

2) They put a cap on how much exp you can get in one skill. This is the better alternative, imo.

Also, you shouldn't be allowed to use it on summoning, period. This is because with summoning, you're not only saving the cost of supplies but also the time it would have taken to gather the additional charms.

td2sig.jpg