A Second Bonus Week

Grimy_Bunyip

Why bar skills because of their buyability or the time it takes to gather materials? Such a silly concept... the segregation of skills.

In my eyes, if there is to be another bonus exp weekend, it should be unannounced until the day of implementation. No matter what you do the economy is going to take a hit one way or another. At least this minimizes it to a week after and rewards those who happen to have the items at hand.

My 2 cents.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, please don't do another weekend. The last weekend killed GWD. Thousands of people got 88+ summoning, and probably thousands also got 89+ herblore. The competition got MUCH fiercer after the exp weekend, and the prices of all GWD items plummeted as a result.

The only way I find another exp weekend to be acceptable is if one of two scenarios takes place:

1) They ONLY give the bonus for the unbuyable or mostly-unbuyable skills; i.e. fishing, mining, hunting, wcing, slayer, rc, farming

2) They put a cap on how much exp you can get in one skill. This is the better alternative, imo.

Also, you shouldn't be allowed to use it on summoning, period. This is because with summoning, you're not only saving the cost of supplies but also the time it would have taken to gather the additional charms.

+1. too many people are anticipating on these events, its sickening. after spending 90% of my cash and effort (when i could of bought phats at a cheap price that time) its flagrant to see people achieving the same goals as me when I had to put my solid work without any benefits.

I don't see how people are against this though.

Imagine all equipment crashing.

Now imagine all Skill materials rising so high, the average player cannot afford or get their hands on it just to get those few extra levels they've been dieing for, like 63-70 Herb, 66-70 Mining etc. Small goals, not 99's.

That is the reason.

Popoto.~<3

I don't see how people are against this though.

Imagine all equipment crashing.

Now imagine all Skill materials rising so high, the average player cannot afford or get their hands on it just to get those few extra levels they've been dieing for, like 63-70 Herb, 66-70 Mining etc. Small goals, not 99's.

That is the reason.

How on earth would mining be affected? lol. Just get a pickaxe and start chopping at those iron ores, couldnt be simpler :P

Your general idea is correct though (imo).

Lord_Beloved.png

Then its luck. Which has nothing to do with Jagex doing Bonus XP Weekends.

Are you really that [developmentally delayed]ed or are you just trolling? It's not luck like a soloed Armadyl hilt. It's an update that completely ruins the Runescape experience for weeks. It forces players to grind, hoard, and no-life when they otherwise wouldn't. When the first weekend was announced, some players just happened to be either loaded with charms or had the junk to buy unbuyable herbs and seconds. It turned Runescape upside down for everyone.

I completely agree with Soma's post a little ways up. I wouldn't mind a bonus weekend if it only affected mostly unbuyable skills and had a lower, static multiplier.

Possible player outcomes if Jagex has a bonus exp weekend:

1- Obtain supplies

2- Buy supplies

3- Wing it and just train fairly casually

4- Get lucky, because you already had supplies saved up

5- Don't participate

Is it that hard for you to understand? Any update can have an economic effect, get over it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you really that [developmentally delayed]ed or are you just trolling? It's not luck like a soloed Armadyl hilt. It's an update that completely ruins the Runescape experience for weeks. It forces players to grind, hoard, and no-life when they otherwise wouldn't. When the first weekend was announced, some players just happened to be either loaded with charms or had the junk to buy unbuyable herbs and seconds. It turned Runescape upside down for everyone.

I completely agree with Soma's post a little ways up. I wouldn't mind a bonus weekend if it only affected mostly unbuyable skills and had a lower, static multiplier.

1- Obtain supplies

2- Buy supplies

5- Don't participate

Is it that hard for you to understand? Any update can have an economic effect, get over it.

You missed the part where players stress out for weeks, are unable to purchase supplies, and no-life for the entire weekend because they feel that they have to. You have an incredibly short-sighted and narrow view of what these weekends mean for Runescape. They promote grinding in an already grind-based game.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

1- Obtain supplies

2- Buy supplies

5- Don't participate

You missed the part where players stress out for weeks, are unable to purchase supplies, and no-life for the entire weekend because they feel that they have to. You have an incredibly short-sighted and narrow view of what these weekends mean for Runescape. They promote grinding in an already grind-based game.

Jagex isn't responsible for personality flaws. I don't feel forced to hoard items because of a bonus xp weekend. People who feel forced to hoard items are like the people who were "forced" to train every skill for the Shattered Heart statue.

It's not supposed to be a GOAL, it's supposed to be a BONUS.

And as you said, this game is already completely grind-based. Bonusing the xp for the grinding doesn't change the core gameplay. It only changes it for the players who delude themselves into thinking Jagex is forcing them to hoard items.

Jagex isn't responsible for personality flaws. I don't feel forced to hoard items because of a bonus xp weekend. People who feel forced to hoard items are like the people who were "forced" to train every skill for the Shattered Heart statue.

And as you said, this game is already completely grind-based. Bonusing the xp for the grinding doesn't change the core gameplay. It only changes it for the players who delude themselves into thinking Jagex is forcing them to hoard items.

It's not just about the hoarding. Bonus weekends are incredible opportunities to save tons of money and time (especially in regards to summoning; two posters said that the last bonus weekend saved them about 100 hours of charm collecting). It literally devalues skills, and not in the same way that new training methods do. Competition for GWD worlds skyrocketed after the last bonus weekend.

You're deluded if you think that the majority of players will respond any differently to how I've said they would. You may be above taking advantage of these weekends, but most of us aren't as intelligent as you, apparently. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg

It's not just about the hoarding. Bonus weekends are incredible opportunities to save tons of money and time (especially in regards to summoning; two posters said that the last bonus weekend saved them about 100 hours of charm collecting). It literally devalues skills, and not in the same way that new training methods do. Competition for GWD worlds skyrocketed after the last bonus weekend.

You're deluded if you think that the majority of players will respond any differently to how I've said they would. You may be above taking advantage of these weekends, but most of us aren't as intelligent as you, apparently. :rolleyes:

Again, you presume to be aware of how the majority of the Runescape population will react. Again, you don't have any response as to why this has anything to do with Jagex.

Jagex should not and does not cater to immature 12 year olds who no-life just because of an up-coming bonus. A bonus is a reward, not a goal. The fact that you think you even have an argument is hilarious to me.

"Some kids might no-life and it might affect the economy like every other major update, please don't do it Jagex"

--------------------------

As for the devaluation of the skill, this has no real effect on players. It only has the mental effect of "oh, they got the exp faster than me". Which is no different than what RS veterans feel today. Do you think RS veterans enjoy seeing people getting 99 WC easily with ivy? No, but it's part of the game. And this is only temporary, unlike ivy.

Again, you presume to be aware of how the majority of the Runescape population will react.

I assume that you weren't present during the last bonus weekend, then? Anyone who remembers the last bonus weekend remembers that blah blah blah . . . I've already explained all of that.

Jagex should not and does not cater to immature 12 year olds who no-life just because of an up-coming bonus. A bonus is a reward, not a goal.

A reward that isn't available to everyone and, again, blah blah blah . . . explained that one, too.

The fact that you think you even have an argument is hilarious to me.

Likewise.

"Some kids might no-life and it might affect the economy like every other major update, please don't do it Jagex"

Except that this isn't like every other update.

As for the devaluation of the skill, this has no real effect on players.

How so? 100 hours of charm collecting is "no real effect"? You're going to have to expand on that one.

It only has the mental effect of "oh, they got the exp faster than me". Which is no different than what RS veterans feel today.

Hardly. It's not an update that everyone has access to for the rest of their Runescape careers; It's a (hopefully) one time occurrence. If you don't understand the implications of that, then we're clearly done here. At this point I'm skeptical that you even play Runescape.

dgs5.jpg

Again, you presume to be aware of how the majority of the Runescape population will react. Again, you don't have any response as to why this has anything to do with Jagex.

Jagex should not and does not cater to immature 12 year olds who no-life just because of an up-coming bonus. A bonus is a reward, not a goal. The fact that you think you even have an argument is hilarious to me.

--------------------------

As for the devaluation of the skill, this has no real effect on players. It only has the mental effect of "oh, they got the exp faster than me". Which is no different than what RS veterans feel today. Do you think RS veterans enjoy seeing people getting 99 WC easily with ivy? No, but it's part of the game. And this is only temporary, unlike ivy.

There's this cool new thing called "history" that likes to repeat itself.

While I assume you trained like any sane player would have during the weekend, I take it you missed the opportunity to look at the forums? Yes? The spam wasn't in Rants this time, but Jagex Lite. The high levels complained and the low levels worshiped Jagex. Those of us in the middle of the road didn't really care either way.

Here we see the cycle of RS. The current children love the content (can I call this content?) catered toward them, while the current teenage players complain. In a few year's time, the children will evolve into the teens and the teens will get a life when they get to college (well most of them :wink: ).

The point is that the game is split on their opinion of the weekend, but benefits everyone overall (for experience and levels, not boss hunting...). The fact that YOU think that everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant is EXTREMELY close-minded and just plain stupid. The Bonus Experience Weekend DOES have a large effect on the economy with all of the new players being able to use Unicorns and Pak-Yaks, as well as make extreme potions. Even though I don't boss hunt, (nor do I have the stats to), it's pretty crystal clear if you ask me.

Accept the fact that people have different opinions than you instead of flaming them. If you're going to flame, RSOF is wide-open :)

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I am not vehemently against it. I just wished they would place more of a spacing between the first and the last. If they host them with too much regularity, users may start demanding it as a consistent thing (bonus weekend every weekend :-?). Personally it does not peeve me to the point of feeling angry, but I kind of feel for the maxed community, who have their achievements slightly cheapened with the easier and easier methods to gain super fast xp. Anyways, guess I better stock up supplies to train smithing if I manage to scrounge any time whatsoever to level :P. Didn't really have much time to invest in the first.

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

No effect on players? I used to be able to crash at bandos easily and now there are 137s with yak ovls and turmoil in every world. It affected me because I cannot bandos any more, until I get 80 dung.

No effect on players? I used to be able to crash at bandos easily and now there are 137s with yak ovls and turmoil in every world. It affected me because I cannot bandos any more, until I get 80 dung.

Blame Jagex for being stupid enough to create high-level dungeons that aren't instanced.

Any update can have an effect on other content in the game. If a piece of content (like GWD) can be broken by another piece of content (like a bonus xp weekend), then it seems like the original content should be changed.

Blame Jagex for being stupid enough to create high-level dungeons that aren't instanced.

Any update can have an effect on other content in the game. If a piece of content (like GWD) can be broken by another piece of content (like a bonus xp weekend), then it seems like the original content should be changed.

You missed the point. XP bonus weekends are TEMPORARY and do not add any new content to the game. This is different from what veterans feel about a new training method added to the game. There is nothing creative about it. It's like a catalyst to speed up what everyone (assuming everyone is participating) will achieve after a longer period of time. And the fact that not everyone can/will participate in it means that it's creates unnecessary imbalance in the game for both the highscore and economy.

The only event that is exceptional to the case is holiday events, as the items are purely cosmetic. XP isn't; is a main part of the game. And in the case of economy, other games that implement bonus XP periods seldom have an issue with this, since resources required are bought off NPCs at fixed prices (maplestory and healing potions anyone?)

Is bonus XP week creative? Nope. Necessary. Nope. Does it benefit players? You thought it would by saving some GP. Then again almost everyone who's participating thinks along the same line. It's not like you have a big advantage over another active player, in fact it's just to keep up with the competition.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

A second bonus week would be awesome. Jagex said there might be another one when they released the news of the first one, and I would take it that even though the mods doesn't say it directly, they have plans on a second one. I for one hopes that there will be one not too far away in the future.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Bonus weekend is FTW :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the first one :D second one should be fun, hopefully it's not to far away then :thumbup:

It never made sense to have one in the first place. Hopefully, if they insist on having it again, i hope it will be a lower multiplier for a longer time, and that the weekend is at most once a year.