What would the world be like without the United States?

DragnFly

[hide]

A much better question is where would the world be without Scotland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions

Considering the size of our nation, I'd say we've given more to the world than most nations. It's okay you don't need to thank us :wink: .

Thankyou for wearing skirts and giving me a good few laughs. :-P

Thank you for giving us the concentration camp... :???:

[/hide]

I'm English not German? And it was just a joke..? :unsure:

Actually the concentration camp was invented during the Boer War but that's not the same as the Nazi death camps. Also, I know you were kidding, my response was only meant as gentle mockery :razz: .

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide]

Considering the size of our nation, I'd say we've given more to the world than most nations. It's okay you don't need to thank us :wink: .

Thankyou for wearing skirts and giving me a good few laughs. :-P

Thank you for giving us the concentration camp... :???:

[/hide]

I'm English not German? And it was just a joke..? :unsure:

Actually the concentration camp was invented during the Boer War but that's not the same as the Nazi death camps. Also, I know you were kidding, my response was only meant as gentle mockery :razz: .

Oh I didn't know that.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

[cabbage], thats quite a list. Didn't realise we came up with Ghillie suits first.

Better than all those medicinal/engineering inventions though, the Grand Theft Auto games were developed by Rockstar North here as well. :thumbup:

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

:( Don't be upset WE'RE BETTER THAN YOU!

What I think would be interesting is what would happen if maybe a "smaller" island (either physically or maybe smaller in importance) never existed how would it shape the world.

ebTF6.png

On another note, the Aussies did produce some pretty awesome stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_inventions

Refrigerator, electric drill, powered flight, electronic pacemaker, zinc cream, black box, spray on skin, and most importantly the wine cask, making it easier for Aussies to be pissed on goon every holiday and weekend.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I would've thought that these inventions would be invented anyway (or similar things to them) even if the US hadn't existed. I don't think inventions have to do with location, they have to do with people (and we're not talking about removing people here are we? only the landmass of North America not existing in the first place). Correct me if I'm wrong.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

To be honest, all those inventions will probably be made by other countries if US did not exist. So probably not much.

Couldn't the same be said for every other country?

Yep, invention wise all those things are going to come out sometime. Now historically...Lets pretend US stick with UK. With enough time UK will be able to completely dominate most of North America, probably invade Mexico as well or something. The thing here is that US and UK are so far away that the people are going to feel wierd to have somebody across the Atlantic governing them. So I think US is probably going to form no matter what, and err yea.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

No United States means no Hemingway. So the world would be terrible without the United States.

I was expecting this.

And no, nothing would be the same if any country never existed, if a single person hadn't existed. Maybe instead of an iPod, CDs would just get really really [bleep]ing small. Or, instead of the assembly line (which probably would have taken a fair amount of time to come out if Henry Ford never existed), it's a ROBOT WOOOO.

Um. I like the world.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

There wouldn't be 'z' instead of 's' (e.g. Modernisation = Modernization) and 'o' in certain words would be 'ou' e.g. 'Colour' (I know why they were changed, but living in th UK, I get taught 's' and 'ou', thus, I do not need every spell checker to tell me I am wrong).

Especially when it's our goddamn language in the first place.

Actually, it is ours as well. In case you didn't know, we are of the same blood.

Although I do think that Websterization of the English language kind of damaged it.

Yep, invention wise all those things are going to come out sometime. Now historically...Lets pretend US stick with UK. With enough time UK will be able to completely dominate most of North America, probably invade Mexico as well or something. The thing here is that US and UK are so far away that the people are going to feel wierd to have somebody across the Atlantic governing them. So I think US is probably going to form no matter what, and err yea.

Yes! A still-existent British Empire would be awesome. :P

Also, the government at London wouldn't have to directly govern us. We could have been peacefully granted Home Rule, and the Empire could have devolved into some sort of loose affiliation with the King as its leader. That would have probably prevented the American Revolution.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

If the United States never existed (including the Colonies), I would not be here. My ancestors would have most likely found someone else in England to make babies with, thus eliminating the possibility of my lineage from ever coming into existence.

Just think; somehow, distantly, I could be related to an American o.O

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Well, if you go all the way back to the first dividing little cell, we're all related. Hell, we're all the same organism. Everything.

Stupid way to think of stuff. I don't want to think a girl is technically my cousin if we're doing the sex sometime in the future. Unless she really is my cousin - then I run.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Well, if you go all the way back to the first dividing little cell, we're all related. Hell, we're all the same organism. Everything.

Stupid way to think of stuff. I don't want to think a girl is technically my cousin if we're doing the sex sometime in the future. Unless she really is my cousin - then I run.

It depends on how you look at it, but saying "well we're all from Africa anyway" is a poor argument in and of itself.

My point was that, without the founding of the American colonies, my chance of ever coming into being would be nil; unlikely at the very best. So from my perspective, that's a very significant thing [for me].

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

If America didn't exist I think the world would be a similar place. There are going to be the fanatical "patriots" who say America is so great so it produced every invention since 1776 and there will be the people who are anti-American and say the world would be paradise. Well they're both wrong. Many inventions attributed to America were actually items being widely researched and chances are prototypes of said item were already invented in most instances, or at least the idea was not new. If America didn't improve upon the things produced by other countries, surely another country would do the same. As for the people who say the world would be not so war filled and such, I believe that another power would probably just have taken America's place. Large countries usually flourish for 600 or so years and then start to decay so it wouldn't be that big of a loss for the world if America did not exist because there would be a vacuum which would be assumed by someone else.

Think about it, the mighty Roman, Greek, Persian, Ottoman, Russian, Chinese, English, French, etc. empires throughout the ages came to an end no matter how great they were or how aggrandized we make them in history. Time still progressed and new nations were created after their falls. Everything comes to an end, and with an end comes a beginning.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Makes me wonder if England would be a superpower by now, if America didn't exist. And I do agree that if they hadn't been invented by Americans they were bound to be invented some other time or place - even if it was years and years later.

I want to try and keep this thread from turning into a USA vs World argument, debate these things nicely please :P

And oh yeah, if America didn't exist - neither would Twilight and Disney channel. :thumbup:

England was THE superpower before the Revolution, a direct result of which was increased rebellion against the Crown which led to England not being a superpower anymore. In 1775 England literally controlled a good third of the world, easily.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I'd like to think the world would be less wealthy than it is now, and the world would be devoid of much of it 's entertainment they take for granted.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

There wouldn't be 'z' instead of 's' (e.g. Modernisation = Modernization) and 'o' in certain words would be 'ou' e.g. 'Colour' (I know why they were changed, but living in th UK, I get taught 's' and 'ou', thus, I do not need every spell checker to tell me I am wrong).

And yet, back in the 1700's, your country was ruled by a bunch of tyrants who slated their laws against the colonists.. And "your language" is another dialect compared to us and vice-versa at best now. Don't claim it as "your" language.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

And yet, back in the 1700's, your country was ruled by a bunch of tyrants who slated their laws against the colonists.. And "your language" is another dialect compared to us and vice-versa at best now. Don't claim it as "your" language.

English...England.

COINCIDENCE? Hm.

English...England.

COINCIDENCE? Hm.

Maybe, but it isn't "their" language, not anymore. They don't hold any rights over it at this point. Even then, the colonists were English, so what's spoken here is another dialect, which branched off into a million other dialects.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.