The Legend of Zelda Thread

Tacos

Following rangeor's point, i think Ocarina isn't nowhere near the best Zelda: Wind Waker, Link to the Past and Twilight Princess have everything better than Ocarina (story is very subjective). Tilight Princess is the best Zelda imo and Wind Waker a close second.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windwaker would have been a lot better if you didn't have to spend hours and hours traveling the 70 seas. Majora's Mask would have been better if they didn't mess with the whole saving system. I missed being able to play 15 minutes and then turn it off with all my progress saved. As for Twilight Princess, being the wolf sucked and I didn't like the main world.

Other than those complaints, they were all very good games. Ocarina didn't have any huge inconveniences like the others which makes it my favorite of the series.

On topic of the new one: I'll be buying the main (non-Gameboy) games as they come out, because of experimental reasons as you can see in my first paragraph. I'm hoping one day they will top OoT.

• 4 months later...

Things can always be improved on, Ocarina is great, yes, but it is not perfect.

They can (And have) made better zelda games than OoT

I liked Twilight Princess better than OoT.

My reasons are it's better graphically, has better sound, the damn water temple isn't nearly as annoying (but still is), and actually being required to change back in forth from your wolf form and your human form. Unless it was master quest there was one time the game required you to change back into a kid. Master quest makes it like 6. In Twilight princess it felt more like the game put an importance on going into wolf form at some points, even requiring it for the fight with ganon, and I liked that final fight out in Hyrule field, finally It's just Ganondorf vs Link, 1v1, no different forms, just swordsman vs swordsman, no tricks to the fight.

Though I felt Zant to be wasted potential. He would have made a good reoccurring villain besides Ganon, and during the first half of the game they even managed to make him look pretty intimidating, how he's just waiting for you outside of the water temple. (I don't care what the game calls it, it's the water temple) And then when Ganon entered, Zant became this crazy maniac who throws fits when he doesn't get his way. It felt like they intended for Zant to be the villain of the game, and then decided to throw Ganon in at the last moment and change the plot some. I doubt they'll try to redeem him, but if there was no Ganon in TP and they kept Zant the same way he was in the first half of the game, I would have been satisfied.

I don't know how it is with other zelda fans but i'm fine with no seeing Ganon for a game, as long as the villain is interesting and/or intimidating. But Nintendo has killed off every other villain, to make Ganondorf seem more the evil mastermind, giving themselves no room to work with.

And i'm not usually one to say a game is better because of graphics but for a series in which the gameplay and plot hasn't changed since the SNES (Or maybe even earlier), there's few things to set it apart. And even in the oracle of seasons and ages the plot was still the same, if you play a linked game you find out Ganondorf was the evil mastermind behind it all, wants to take over the place, blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, having played OoT after Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, i really prefered the newer ones.

One small correction, i think you need to change into a kid 2 times, once for the Magic glasses and other for the spirit temple.

Also, i agree with you on Zant, mean, look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSv5_HEZYUo

Then at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRWu6poJPP4&feature=related

It's as if the man in the armour was a completely diferent person! He goes from killing a god, repeling link, reviving said god and trying to kill midna without moving a single muscle to making a scene...

Shame though, he would make a great villain. Maybe the Ganon face off made up for it.

In other news, will Nintendo revive ganon for SS? I wisht not :unsure:

i hope the 3ds remake of oot will have the speed running glitches in it still

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

They probably could have even kept Ganon and worked him in better. Say, have Zant make it clear he's got some other power behind him or have him appear more often and decay gradually.

Better than him being probably the most dangerous Zelda villain ever in every scene except the one where he loses it.

In other news, stuck at the Fire temple in Master Quest. Is that chest in the old Megaton Hammer room necessary? Know how to get it, just can't get the timing right.

They probably could have even kept Ganon and worked him in better. Say, have Zant make it clear he's got some other power behind him or have him appear more often and decay gradually.

Better than him being probably the most dangerous Zelda villain ever in every scene except the one where he loses it.

In other news, stuck at the Fire temple in Master Quest. Is that chest in the old Megaton Hammer room necessary? Know how to get it, just can't get the timing right.

In master quest isnt that the compass? It may not be, I haven't played it in awhile.

• 1 year later...

Thought I would revive this thread as I just finished Skyward Sword. It's hard to talk about it without saying some kind of spoiler as there were reveals all over the place, but it was one hell of a game. Contemplating playing through on hero mode but not sure if it's worth the time.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Thought I would revive this thread as I just finished Skyward Sword. It's hard to talk about it without saying some kind of spoiler as there were reveals all over the place, but it was one hell of a game. Contemplating playing through on hero mode but not sure if it's worth the time.

went through the same thought process, decided it wasn't worth it. :lol:

the game's soundtrack was really lacking, imo.

{tumblr}

I actually really enjoyed the soundtrack. Everything except the dreadful harp felt really fitting to me, and the ending soundtrack was excellent. Listening anniversary soundtrack right now, loving it.

Edit: Also:

[spoiler=Ending Spoiler]The end boss was an incarnation of Ganon/dorf right? The fiery red hair, sideburns and nose were just too similar to not be. And on the lines of the end, I was hoping to see all of skyloft return to the surface, but as they didn't does this mean Link and Zelda (being the only two to stay) produced the whole surface human race?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Just recently started re-playing through Majora's Mask, my second favorite Legend of Zelda game, behind the (in my opinion) obvious Ocarina of Time. Still as great as ever, after countless playthroughs. These timeless classics never get old, I remember smashing away at them when I was like 8, good times.

God I love having my Nintendo 64 again, after stealing it from my little brother, who now has a PS2. Kids these days, can't appreciate the classics ^^

My words, but a whisper - your deafness, a shout.

-

If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line

-

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.

Are you sure it's just WW and not the collector's edition which came with OoT Master Quest?

I got my copy of that used at Gamestop for $4.99...

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I actually really enjoyed the soundtrack. Everything except the dreadful harp felt really fitting to me, and the ending soundtrack was excellent. Listening anniversary soundtrack right now, loving it.

Edit: Also:

[spoiler=Ending Spoiler]The end boss was an incarnation of Ganon/dorf right? The fiery red hair, sideburns and nose were just too similar to not be. And on the lines of the end, I was hoping to see all of skyloft return to the surface, but as they didn't does this mean Link and Zelda (being the only two to stay) produced the whole surface human race?

Spoilers below

Demise was the original "power seeking enemy", he in the end says his hatred of the the goddesses will live on and that his successors will fight link's successors.

As for skyloft, my guess is others joined in Link and Zelda in what will become hyrule. The ones who stayed in skyloft will eventually be known as the sky tribe, as seen in minish cap, and maybe mutate into those creepy oocca things in twilight princess

As for the music, i thought it was a great arrangement, but i felt liek they could have done better. Song fo the hero, the credits theme, ballad of the goddess and Fi's theme really stuck with me, but nothing wowed me like "the wind waker" or "dragontooth island". Nayru's theme was also pretty decent. Area themes felt bland, apart from faron woods and skyloft.

Seeing this orchestra also made the mario galaxy orchestra, they could have done waaaay more imo.

i didnt like that the timeline now splits in 3 after oot ;_; (young link, adult link, and you die/fail timelines)

i liked the dual timeline better (young link, adult link)

What do you mean by the third timeline?

There has always been the ability to theoretically open up a third timeline if you die, but it's implied that it never happens.

zqXeV.jpg

The reason no one thought there would be 3 timelines instead of 2 in the first place is because time does not work that way. You cant succeed and fail at the same time. If you succeed there's 2 timelines, if you fail it remains 1. If by some off chance you manage to do both at the same time... well...

Hmm, apparently there arnt any clips on Youtube with the Colonel from MGS saying "Time Paradox". Go figure.

• 4 months later...

Anyone else here been to any of the 25th Anniversary Zelda Symphony concerts in the USA? If you haven't - go. I just got back from the Orlando concert, and it was outstanding, and considering this is Nintendo who licenses their music for these sorts of things about once a century, it may very well be a once in a lifetime thing.

[spoiler=Set list]1) 25th Anniversary Medley (basically the theme played on the Zelda Symphony website)

Intros, where Jeremy Somebody and the director introduce themselves. Jeremy talks a bit about how much the Zelda series has meant to him over the years, and he means it - he pulls out a gold Legend of Zelda NES cartridge to show off.

2) 2D Dungeon Themes - a medley of dungeon music from LoZ, AoL (palace theme ftw!), ALTTP, LA, and the Oracle games. This made me forget how bland and repetitive some of the old dungeon music could be.

3) Kakariko Village Theme (Twilight Princess) (from the CD)

4) Ocarina of Time Medley

5) Ocarina Themes Medley - a bit of a mishmash this was, they spent a lot of time in this and the OOT medley around Saria's Theme

6) Wind Waker Theme - from the CD. The composer spoke briefly about how it was gratifying to see people appreciate a game and music about a character that uses a baton, then she pulls out a replica Wind Waker and uses it for the remainder of the show.

Intermission

7) Great Fairy's Fountain Theme (from the CD). Would have been better if they just used the Menu Theme from Skyward Sword, but I digress.

8) Twilight Princess Medley (from the CD)

9) Link to the Past Medley

Thunderous applause and about a 2 minute standing ovation later, and...that's it? Of course not:

Encore 1) Ballad of the Wind Fish

More applause, another standing ovation, and "just one more":

Encore 2) Gerudo Valley (from the CD) The best CD theme in my opinion, and it does not disappoint.

Even more applause, the audience begs for one more song, and Jeremy says that by overwhelming demand, Nintendo allows them to play yet one more medley:

Encore 3) Majora's Mask Medley. Sadly they didn't take anything from the vastly overlooked Majora's Mask Orchestrations album, but they did throw in the Song of Healing, so I guess it was OK.

Apart from a small portion in the opening song, nothing from Skyward Sword was played, which surprised me, since it was the main attraction in this whole 25th anniversary business. Also, it actually had orchestrated music.

A great time overall. Lots of cosplay, if you're into that sort of thing. I came in a dress shirt and slacks and was waaay overdressed. :/ It was almost all 20-something nerds (like myself) who mostly wore Zelda shirts of some kind. I figured it would be more formal than that - silly me.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png