Oil Spill Off of the Gulf Expected to be Worse Than Exxon Valdez

magekillr

Actually this may very well be the biggest environmental disaster in human history.

are you forgetting Chernobyl?

either way, this could all have been avoided if the safety standards of the american oil industry had a release valve requirement on all the wells. The incident has therefore been ridiculed here in the Norwegian press as yet another over-lenient american regulation.

I've read that Chernobyl could remain uninhabitable for another 180-320 years.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually this may very well be the biggest environmental disaster in human history.

are you forgetting Chernobyl?

either way, this could all have been avoided if the safety standards of the american oil industry had a release valve requirement on all the wells. The incident has therefore been ridiculed here in the Norwegian press as yet another over-lenient american regulation.

I've read that Chernobyl could remain uninhabitable for another 180-320 years.

Nah it's fine, I just visited there last week.

Tbh everyone is freakin out about this oil spill... And I'm not. I figure the people who can help are doing what they are doing, so even though this is a gargantuan problem, everyone having anxiety attacks serves no purpose. People at my job are freakin out about it, though internally I am as well, you talking over my tyra banks show will not help the oil not spill. Sheesh.

brb I gotta get more bandaids, my sores on my 3rd arm are bleeding again. ugh.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Chernobyl is quite safe actually. About 200-300 people still live in Prypjat in their original homes since the disaster. There haven't been any noticeable changes in the local fauna. If the reactor gets a new cover, well, the area around it would be perfectly habitable. ATM just the old broken sarcophagus is leaking new radiation.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Chernobyl is quite safe actually. About 200-300 people still live in Prypjat in their original homes since the disaster. There haven't been any noticeable changes in the local fauna. If the reactor gets a new cover, well, the area around it would be perfectly habitable. ATM just the old broken sarcophagus is leaking new radiation.

There are some parts of Chernobyl that are actually uninhabitable, though.

I think that there are different "zones" that are determined by levels of radiation. Even people living in the safer zones have to take certain medication (well, maybe not the outer zones, but still).

I remember watching some kind of documentary where a team of people got permission to go into the most dangerous part of Chernobyl in full Hazmat suits. They could only stay for short periods of time, but they explored an empty hospital that was left the same way as it was during the disaster. Scary stuff.

SWAG

I though Prypiat was still abandoned?

rosssigfinal.jpg

i think you guys have no idea on Chernobyl at all. In the northern parts of Norway, people still can't eat wild elk/ deer they've hunted because of the radiation levels that moved all over north-eastern Europe with the weather systems. For those living right by the reactor, to the south, when the wind was blowing north obviously there's much less radiation there.

We have a watch at school that we use for demonstrating gamma-radiation. The radioactive samples provided to the school are so weak it takes too long to measure the activity accurately with a geiger-muller counter. That's when we bring out the watch of an ex-teacher who forgot it outside in the snow for a winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster_effects

either way. rumour has it the leak was stopped today?

I'm not quite sure what grounds Obama has to be so "outraged" at BP about the leak. Surely wait until the after the investigation and then discover to what degree BP can be held accountable? I mean this kind of drilling is massively cutting edge and of course there will be risks associated with it, they have pretty colossal fail-safe procedures so find out why they failed first and then see where they can lay the blame, it could well have been an accident. I mean if you're going to allow this kind of drilling because you want to try and reduce your dependence on middle eastern oil but are finding nuclear power a hard sell then you need to be prepared for these kind of risks.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

They are rather allowing drilling so easily because you can't run cars efficiently on electricity yet.

Them Americans are blind in their seek for the black gold; they don't think too much about the consequences.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Well from what I understand they aren't being very helpful about it. I saw something the other day, that when Obama paid a visit to an affected area BP bused in hundreds of workers for what was essentially a photo op (Look! We're here cleaning up, America! Don't worry!) and then as soon as he left they put all the workers back on the buses and sent them home.

BP have spent £645m trying to clean up so far, I wouldn't exactly call that a lack of effort on their part. It's absolutely in their best interests to get this sorted out as quickly as possible, they have no interest in dragging this out because it'll just cost them more monetarily and image-wise. Although to be honest I'm not surprised if they shipped in workers for the photo-op, since that's pretty much why Obama was there anyway they may as well play at his game if they want to. Their priority is stemming the flow at the source, that's where their expertise is needed, the US government doesn't have the technology to deal with this kind of thing.

One thing is certain: Petrol prices will rise again.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Ugh, if they really need to stop the leak, we need to think more than the Top Kill strategy; If it takes a nuke or atomic bomb, then it needs to be done. Something is telling me that would end catastrophically though if it failed, and if the petroleum ignited.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Where do you see the petroleum? There aint any petroleum. Pure, raw oil is only there. Igniting it would cause the oil to form slumps that are easily collected, but it still doesn't stop new oil from leaking.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Ugh, if they really need to stop the leak, we need to think more than the Top Kill strategy; If it takes a nuke or atomic bomb, then it needs to be done. Something is telling me that would end catastrophically though if it failed, and if the petroleum ignited.

Sorry, you want to send (nuclear??) explosives down to the site where a lot of highly inflammable liquid is leaking into the sea to try and seal the leak? Use some common sense mate, surely.

Sorry, you want to send (nuclear??) explosives down to the site where a lot of highly inflammable liquid is leaking into the sea to try and seal the leak? Use some common sense mate, surely.

Guys I think we should try napalm to seal the leak, it's crazy enough to work!

Guys I think we should try napalm to seal the leak, it's crazy enough to work!

Napalm should be hot enough to turn the pipe into molten slag, thus collapsing in on itself and forming a giant metal seal.

Nukes would only vaporize it.

Simple stuff, guys.

SWAG