Oil Spill Off of the Gulf Expected to be Worse Than Exxon Valdez

magekillr

Drill baby drill!!

Honestly, this pisses me off. America acts like its their god given right to drill wherever they want, and then pollute other countries water. Id love to tie up the [wagon] who runs the oil company that owns the rig, and give him a lash for every animal he killed.

Are you for real? We aren't even allowed to drill more than 10 miles off our own shore....

And by the way the guy who owns the rig..... that would be BP, a British company. And it was built by a non-American company.... No offense but I really hope you were joking.

Ill admit i was in a bit of a rage, but its in American waters, clearly America approved of the rig.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drill baby drill!!

Honestly, this pisses me off. America acts like its their god given right to drill wherever they want, and then pollute other countries water. Id love to tie up the [wagon] who runs the oil company that owns the rig, and give him a lash for every animal he killed.

Are you for real? We aren't even allowed to drill more than 10 miles off our own shore....

And by the way the guy who owns the rig..... that would be BP, a British company. And it was built by a non-American company.... No offense but I really hope you were joking.

This is factually inaccurate. BP does not own the rig, they leased the rig from Transocean Ltd.

Anyway, they're only liable for $75 million in damages, which is ridiculous. This is going to kill tourism and fishing for years. In a just world BP would be go under from paying off these damages. That would sure as hell end any drilling and get Exxon and their ilk developing alternatives quick enough.

Drill baby drill!!

This is factually inaccurate. BP does not own the rig, they leased the rig from Transocean Ltd.

Anyway, they're only liable for $75 million in damages, which is ridiculous. This is going to kill tourism and fishing for years. In a just world BP would be go under from paying off these damages. That would sure as hell end any drilling and get Exxon and their ilk developing alternatives quick enough.

This could end really badly, especially since it is going to take 2 months to fix the leak.

The US would probably try to keep a kind of attack like this secret, as they can't afford another war.

?And yeah, it's ridiculous that they are liable for so little. How much is Transocean liable for?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I could be wrong , but I'm pretty sure Transocean isn't an American company. Though I'm sure you're right we had to approve it and there is no question it is bad.

Anyway about the 2 month thing, does that mean until it is back up and pumping oil, or it is going to be bleeding oil that long? I never realized it until recently but things you read can be taken so many different ways. I'm not trying to downplay the figure it's just something I've noticed.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

It's the Three Mile Island of the oil industry.

Seems like we can't regulate quality in anything these days. Too concerned with running cheaply rather than well, though mind you that's just an opinion so take it at face value.

Offshore drilling will hit a standstill until stockholders can be promised that things like these won't happen again, won't it?

hzvjpwS.gif

It's sort of become our society to do cheap rather than well.

We'd rather build a bridge that will need to be rebuilt in 10 years but is cheaper, than a bridge that will last for dang near forever but won't be cheap.

I'm also not sure that the Three Mile Island comparison is correct, as from what I understand that was human error, but I know what you're trying to say.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, WAY worse than Exxon Valdez. Estimates of 5,000 barrels per day are obviously wrong, and now estimates are approaching 56-84,000 barrels per day. That's an Exxon Valdez every 4 days. To make matters worse, the chemicals that BP put in the water is causing the oil to clump, underwater:

Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick in spots. The discovery is fresh evidence that the leak from the broken undersea well could be substantially worse than estimates that the government and BP have given.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/us/16oil.html?hp

Drill, baby, drill. Right, Sarah Palin?

Ok, WAY worse than Exxon Valdez. Estimates of 5,000 barrels per day are obviously wrong, and now estimates are approaching 56-84,000 barrels per day. That's an Exxon Valdez every 4 days. To make matters worse, the chemicals that BP put in the water is causing the oil to clump, underwater:

Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick in spots. The discovery is fresh evidence that the leak from the broken undersea well could be substantially worse than estimates that the government and BP have given.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/us/16oil.html?hp

Drill, baby, drill. Right, Sarah Palin?

Holy [cabbage], that bad ? I hope both BP and Transocean get completely [bleep]ed over for this.

• 2 weeks later...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Where's waterproof duct tape when you need it. :|

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Actually this may very well be the biggest environmental disaster in human history.

TEA PARTY IN THE GULF!

Oh wait.

---------------

This is a pretty worrysome disaster.... Right now it seems that the only way it will end is when the entire "ocean" of oil is drained. By then, we will already lose perhaps many species.

How much oil is there in the area they were drilling in anyway? I'm not talking about the spill; I'm talking about the reservoir.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Looks like atleast 378 million gallons

http://www.infographicworld.com/infographics/large-crude-awakening.html

Fishermen hired by BP to help with the oil spill cleanup in the Gulf of Mexico are coming down sick with “severe headaches, dizziness, nausea and difficulty breathing [1]” after working long hours in oil- and dispersant-contaminated waters, according to the Los Angeles Times.

This follows a report we flagged on Tuesday about fishermen coming down sick [2]. This one, done by a New Orleans TV station, told a similar story [3]—fishermen reported feeling “drugged and disoriented,” “coughing up stuff,” and feeling “weak.”

Cleanup workers told the Times that they were not given protective equipment—no gloves, no respirators. Here’s BP’s response on the issue, from the Times piece:

BP spokesman Graham McEwen said Tuesday he was unaware of any health complaints among cleanup workers, noting that the company had taken hundreds of samples of so-called volatile organic carbons, such as benzene, and all the levels were well within federal safety standards.

McEwen said the fishermen the company is training are not being deployed into areas that require respirators or breathing apparatus. Those who are working for BP laying booms or skimming oil are issued protective coveralls and gloves, he said.

Note that in that excerpt, BP said it took samples of the possible health risks to cleanup workers.

It has. But as we’ve pointed out, BP’s not releasing that data to the public [4], and has shared it only with “legitimate interested parties,” including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. And when OSHA, a federal agency, was asked by McClatchy about releasing the data, it said the data was BP’s, and “not ours to publish.”

While there’s no direct evidence that the illnesses are linked to BP’s continued use of a dispersant called Corexit, as we’ve noted, this dispersant has been linked to human health problems [5] in the past, and concerns about toxicity were enough to prompt the EPA—after initially approving it—to order BP to switch to a less toxic dispersant [6]. BP has not done so yet [7].

One marine toxicologist and activist, Riki Ott, studied the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill and told the Times that these illnesses emerging from the Gulf were “déjà vu ... What we saw with Exxon Valdez was a parallel track—sick animals and sick people.”

http://www.propublica.org/ion/blog/item/more-reports-of-illness-emerge-among-gulf-cleanup-workers

And the fun continues.

yes.png

BP, YOU [bleep]ED UP! YOU [bleep]ED UP! YOU [bleep]ED UP!

Seriously, how stupid can you be not to have a working plan B, or C, or D or whatever. Heeerrrp Deeerrrpp Durrr, giant dome, top hat yeah shot, that worked well...

rosssigfinal.jpg

Looks like atleast 378 million gallons

http://www.infographicworld.com/infographics/large-crude-awakening.html

Fishermen hired by BP to help with the oil spill cleanup in the Gulf of Mexico are coming down sick with severe headaches, dizziness, nausea and difficulty breathing [1] after working long hours in oil- and dispersant-contaminated waters, according to the Los Angeles Times.

This follows a report we flagged on Tuesday about fishermen coming down sick [2]. This one, done by a New Orleans TV station, told a similar story [3]fishermen reported feeling drugged and disoriented, coughing up stuff, and feeling weak.

Cleanup workers told the Times that they were not given protective equipmentno gloves, no respirators. Heres BPs response on the issue, from the Times piece:

BP spokesman Graham McEwen said Tuesday he was unaware of any health complaints among cleanup workers, noting that the company had taken hundreds of samples of so-called volatile organic carbons, such as benzene, and all the levels were well within federal safety standards.

McEwen said the fishermen the company is training are not being deployed into areas that require respirators or breathing apparatus. Those who are working for BP laying booms or skimming oil are issued protective coveralls and gloves, he said.

Note that in that excerpt, BP said it took samples of the possible health risks to cleanup workers.

It has. But as weve pointed out, BPs not releasing that data to the public [4], and has shared it only with legitimate interested parties, including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. And when OSHA, a federal agency, was asked by McClatchy about releasing the data, it said the data was BPs, and not ours to publish.

While theres no direct evidence that the illnesses are linked to BPs continued use of a dispersant called Corexit, as weve noted, this dispersant has been linked to human health problems [5] in the past, and concerns about toxicity were enough to prompt the EPAafter initially approving itto order BP to switch to a less toxic dispersant [6]. BP has not done so yet [7].

One marine toxicologist and activist, Riki Ott, studied the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill and told the Times that these illnesses emerging from the Gulf were déjà vu ... What we saw with Exxon Valdez was a parallel tracksick animals and sick people.

http://www.propublica.org/ion/blog/item/more-reports-of-illness-emerge-among-gulf-cleanup-workers

And the fun continues.

Interesting. The BBC estimated 7 million gallons. I don't think that people are really sure just how many gallons of crude oil we're talking about in the Gulf of Mexico. With an optimistic mindset, it could be in the low millions, but with a very pessimistic mindset, it could be up to the high millions (500 or so).

SWAG

I think more deregulation is the solution. You see, by giving large corporations more power, they can then exercise that power more responsibly, and it gives the government some time off. Everyone wins !

I spy Sarcasm!

SWAG

Apparently the top kill is going well so far, I heard that it has stopped the flow for now. Just need to see if the rest of the process works

There's also a possibility that the pressure from sealing the pipe will cause another part of the well to build up too much pressure and rupture. :thumbup:

SWAG

Actually this may very well be the biggest environmental disaster in human history.

are you forgetting Chernobyl?

either way, this could all have been avoided if the safety standards of the american oil industry had a release valve requirement on all the wells. The incident has therefore been ridiculed here in the Norwegian press as yet another over-lenient american regulation.