Dungeoneering

mario_sunny

This isn't a full Dungeoneering guide. I feel that such a guide would be pointless, considering the basics of Dungeoneering are extremely easy to learn and understand. Rather, this will be a collection of hints, tips, and strategies to help those players who are already familiar with the skill and want more efficient training methods.

Tips and Strategy

General Tips - General tips for surviving Daemonheim, for those who are new or inexperienced.

• Daemonheim weapons are different than above-surface weapons. While all above-surface melee weapons require a certain attack level to wield, for example, Daemonheim weapons (such as the maul) may require only a strength level to wield. Don't be discouraged if you have a low attack level, for you can still wield many high level heavy weapons if you have high strength.
  • The spear is considered to be the best melee weapon because of its rather large stab bonus and its ability to switch between different melee styles without giving up too much accuracy- which is essential for defeating bosses, whom have varying weaknesses.
  • The ideal setup for a 5 man team would be 3 meleers, 1 mage, and 1 ranger. The mage would take care of the high level warriors (NPCs that meleers fight difficult to hit), while the ranger would take care of the high level shades (NPCs that tend to hit high on meleers). The meleers would therefore be protected and free to clear rooms much faster. For a 4 man: 2 meleers, 1 mage, 1 ranger. For a 3 man: 2 meleers, 1 ranger.
  • Potions and food may be used on party members. Use this feature during bosses when you have a surplus of food or potions and one of your teammates is about to die, or needs a skill boost.
  • Don't hog resources that you don't need. For example, if you're meleeing, and have some katagon arrows, you'd best give them to the archer of the team instead of selling them to the smuggler. Remember- helping your party benefits EVERYONE.
  • You do not have to kill all the monsters in a dungeon to get the maximum bonus. It's generally a good strategy to completely ignore rooms that are 'dead ends' (only one door in them) on medium and large maps.
  • When searching for a team in the lobby, turn your public chat to hide so you can easily click on the invite when you receive it in your chat window, instead of scrolling through dozens of public spam to try to click it.
  • Stick together as a party. Having the party 'split up' and search different rooms will in theory make the dungeon go faster, but party members usually have great difficulty clearing rooms by themselves. This strategy may result in multiple deaths.
  • DONT DIE! Do anything to avoid a death! Remember: this isn't PvP, it's OKAY to be a 'safer' in Daemonheim. Keep your health high, especially when you are getting hit by multiple enemies.
  • Equip your ring of kinship at the beginning of a dungeon. It saves you one inventory space.
  • On your party interface, you can click on a party member's name and view their stats, inventory, and various other current statistics regarding their character.
  • Use gatestones- especially on medium and large maps. They will save you loads of time- even if your not maging.
  • Items high alch for twice the value they would sell for at the smuggler's shop. If you find a particularly high level item that you don't need, it is recommended you alch it to get the maximum coins.

Monster Tips - Tips for dealing with non-boss monsters throughout the dungeons.

• Always pile the highest damage monster first, with a few exceptions. Always kill monsters in the following order: high level shades, high level mages, high level meleers, high level rangers, poison spiders (incase there are no antipoisons available), brutes, dogs, bats, rats, ice spiders, everything else. Because a majority (85%) of players prefer melee, a typical party is weakest to magic, followed by range, and finally they are strongest against melee.
  • Don't kill the dinosaurs- the large cow-like monsters sometimes referred to as "fatties." It's a waste of time and doesn't grant you any additional exp.
  • Monsters DO NOT drop Tier 11 weapons and armor, despite some players claiming to have received primal equipment from forgotten warriors.

Boss Tips - Tips for slaying those nasty bosses.

• There is a correlation between the level of a boss its maximum hit. The formula for approximate max hit is: (monster level) + 100 (give or take 50). Make sure you keep your health above this value at all times during the boss fight. Notice this value is a rough estimate: it may vary a lot.
  • Blindly rushing a boss almost never works. Always look at the type of boss and the combat level. From this determine its weaknesses and adjust accordingly.
  • Put a gatestone outside the boss room. If you get to a point during the boss fight where you have no food, teleport safely out of the boss room. Remember- its not cowardly to run in Daemonheim, this isn't above-surface Runescape; deaths are a HUGE exp penalty and should be avoided at all costs. Most parties will understand.
  • Boss levels may be predetermined fairly accurately using a crude formula even before you meet the boss. You can derive the boss difficulty from the drops you receive from the normal monsters throughout the dungeon. If you're receiving web snippers, the boss will be fairly easy. If you're receiving boubabasses, the boss will be of medium difficulty. If you're receiving salve eels, the boss will be a fair challenge.
  • Bosses are the only monsters in Daemonheim that drop Tier 11 items.
  • During some special attacks when players are not able to harm the boss (ex. Stomp or Luminescent Icefiend's special attack), familiars can still do damage to the boss.

Professional Tips - Tips and strategies the professionals use.

• Always have a designated key bearer- a player who collects all the keys in a dungeon. This avoids confusion as to who has what key, and simplifies and speeds up the dungeon. It is also useful to have this player carry the 5 essential tools for unlocking skill doors, so the party doesn't have to continually return to home each time they encounter a skill door.
  • Have the key bearer also be the designated door opener- the player who opens doors to reveal what's inside. Especially near the end of the dungeon, having multiple players clicking a single door at once can have catastrophic effects. If the room happens to harbor the boss, one more more players may be accidentally flung into the boss room, then the whole party is forced to enter the room to help the party member- sometimes going in unprepared. A designated door opener will avoid this.
  • A surplus of keys marks the dungeon is nearing its end. When your party receives a surplus of keys, it usually means one of those keys will unlock the boss room, so be careful.
  • The clan chat "dannni" contains many experienced, high level dungeoneerers that you can pair up with.
  • For maximum exp, you should do floors 1-20 on small, 21-29 on medium, and 30-35 on large. It is frustrating that many players have set in their minds that small maps are always the fastest experience on any floor- this is simply not true.
  • Currently there is a trick that can grant you infinite money. If you are 44 runecrafing or higher, you can buy essence from the smuggler, runecraft air runes, and sell the air runes back to the smuggler for profit. Then you can buy even more essence and repeat the process, gaining even more money. Potentially, you could have infinite money. A higher runecrafting level will grant you more profit per hour.
  • In desperate times, when food is low and the boss is simply too high level, the so called 'poison trick' can be used. Simply have a player enter the boss room with a poisoned weapon, and poison the boss. When the boss is confirmed poisoned, the player should gatestone teleport out. Then the party waits until the poison slowly kills the boss. Occasionally, you will have to attack the boss again to make sure the poison hits high again. Note some bosses are immune to poison.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I disagree with killing every monster. You don't need to kill every monster to get a +10 level mod, a general rule of thumb for me is to kill everything under 80, or forgotten warriors under 60. Also range is complete trash there, max hit is under 200 or something.

A tip - you can use food on other players to heal them, essentially playing the role of healer.

Also, if you meet something like a level 100 forgotten warrior, it's best to use protection prayers as they will hit VERY hard on you.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I didn't know about the air rune thing... good to know ^^

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

A few things I strongly disagree with:

[qoute]Always pile the highest damage monster first, with a few exceptions. Always kill monsters in the following order: Poison spiders/night spiders, high level shades, high level mages, high level meleers, high level rangers, brutes, dogs, bats, rats, ice spiders, everything else.

Poison hardly hits a lot, especially when someone has cure potions they can be safely ignore.

Shades should be the first priority.

Also high level rangers are deadly when you have a difficult room (with lots of other monsters). Fighting the meleeers at start is a waste of food (you'll pray melee anyways).. especially when you have a mager in your team (who could focus on the warriors):

for the meleers: shades -> spiders -> magers / rangers (depending if you have a ranger) -> hobgolbins -> brutes -> skelletons -> bats/forggottten warriors (depend if you have a mager) -> rest

for the rangers shades -> spiders ->magers -> rangers -> bats -> hobgoblins -> dogs -> rest (brutes & warriors are like impossible to hit with range)

for the mages shades -> forgotten wariors -> spiders -> brutes -> zombies -> skelletons -> rest (you hit very bad on the rest so might switch to a melee weapon, especially bats, rangers and mages)

Hobgoblins are pretty deadly too, had a lvl 141 hobgoblin who hitted me a 300+.. And often (through pro plate)

also I wouldn't recommend on high alching stuff: coins will be plentyfull anyways, so extra coins aren't really needed... Yet you waste 2 (or 1 if maging with fire staff) inventory spots on these!

Boss levels may be predetermined fairly accurately using a crude formula even before you meet the boss. You can derive the boss difficulty from the drops you receive from the normal monsters throughout the dungeon. If you're receiving web snippers, the boss will be fairly easy. If you're receiving boubabasses, the boss will be of medium difficulty. If you're receiving salve eels, the boss will be a fair challenge.

This is untrue I think: had a duo run (small dungeon) where we found only lv 50- warriors.. (who dropped like only short finned eels) yet the boss was lvl 200 (riftspitter)

Secondly I think an ideal team setup would be:

3 meleers (who kill the main stuff)

1 melee/ranger (mainly melee, but could use range for the mages/bats)

1 mage/meleer (specially tasked for the forgotten warriors, brutes & zombies)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Bosses are NOT always behind key doors. Last dungeon we had one behind a puzzle room. Just saying.

Yeah, I got one behind a Woodcutting door once.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Bosses are NOT always behind key doors. Last dungeon we had one behind a puzzle room. Just saying.

Yeah, I got one behind a Woodcutting door once.

Yes an update appears to have changed the doors bosses are behind now. As far as I can tell bosses can now be behind ANY door, whether it be guardian, key, skill, or regular. Just two days ago I had a boss behind a guardian door.

I'll update the first post accordingly.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

• 2 weeks later...

good to include would be important levels that are useful in dungeon (e.g. 54 rc for laws)

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Nice. I for one didn't know bosses are always behind key doors. I did know most of the other stuff though, but this will be very helpful for beginners.

Found a boss behind a guardian door before. :S I think a previous poster is right because I'm sure I only had bosses behind key doors for a long period of time.

And "When searching for a team in the lobby, turn your public chat to hide so you can easily click on the invite when you receive it in your chat window, instead of scrolling through dozens of public spam to try to click it."

You can also click on the trade tab to see invites.

Otherwise they're nice tips.

imagangster.png

Boss levels may be predetermined fairly accurately using a crude formula even before you meet the boss. You can derive the boss difficulty from the drops you receive from the normal monsters throughout the dungeon. If you're receiving web snippers, the boss will be fairly easy. If you're receiving boubabasses, the boss will be of medium difficulty. If you're receiving salve eels, the boss will be a fair challenge.

This is untrue I think: had a duo run (small dungeon) where we found only lv 50- warriors.. (who dropped like only short finned eels) yet the boss was lvl 200 (riftspitter)

Sorry to burst your bubble but a lvl 200 boss is an easy boss. Try fighting a level 520 Shadow-Forger then you may change what you think is easy and hard.

tkoblitz.png

Sorry to burst your bubble but a lvl 200 boss is an easy boss. Try fighting a level 520 Shadow-Forger then you may change what you think is easy and hard.

For a duo, 200 is fairly high. I'm pretty sure he has done 5:5 bosses, so no need to boast about it :-)

The ideal setup for teams is 4 meleers with 1 melee/tank mage hybrid. Rangers are absolutely 100% useless in any situations with the exception of Lex (The boss with Book Barrage). Range is too ineffective against all monsters in dungeoneering and the reason you use it on Lex is because Lex recoils all melee damage by 1/3, difficulty of dodging a book barrage while meleeing, and has high defense against mage.

Maximizing xp/hr should be done with F1-27 on 5:5 Small rush opening every room and clearing only guardian doors. Average xp/hr 60k xp/hr if you have a team that knows what to do.

On F28-35, 5:5 Large rush. Key person is the most important role here. With a good key holder you can finish each floor in under 40 minutes yielding 45-50k xp/floor (-6 to -2% level mod) averaging near 70-75k xp/hr

Rammernaut should always be maged. It helps reduce death and speed up kills by alot. (Exception of this and Lex is when soloing. They're both a joke on solos.)

Alching should never be needed. An average player needs 100k coins total each floor for an inventory full of cave morays come boss time if you are low on food. 2 binds is more than enough to finish EVERY single boss in a dungeon. The time it takes to make alch runes and the extra inventory space it takes heavily outweighs the 2x gp that you get which you will not end up using anyways.

Never checked level of boss vs max hit. Hate to say it but it's probably just a coincidence.

Familiars may attack the Lum Icefiend/Stomp but will only hit 0s. Mageing them produce the same result.

The tool bearer should have EIGHT tools. Pick, Hatchet, Vial, Fishing Rod, Feathers, Hammer, Knife, and Tinderbox. All tools can be purchased with only 1k at the beginning of the round. Fastest way to do this is to grab any random ecto/katagon/stego item on the table and selling to smuggler.

120dgl.jpg

Alright, I've gained quite a few levels of dungeoneering and thus have gained more knowledge in this skill. I'll be reworking the guide with all your suggestions soon.

dangsig.png

i gotta say: GATESTONES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL TO USE.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Gatestones outside a boss room is generally a good strategy, although sometimes putting it by an altar is better for those bosses for which prayer is more important (and where reentry would be otherwise suicidal). Also, for Stomp and Sagittare where the terrain is the main issue, gatestones are better put to use within the boss room itself. When Sagittare teleports, a gatestone teleport can often mean you get a lot more hits in. As long as someone else is standing in front of lodestones, by putting a gatestone there, you can still place the crystal even when everything is blocked around it.

I also agree with pretty much everything yuriqiu said.

sweepsig.png

About the stuff you get when you start the dungeon, there's one crucial fact I've noticed.

You have to be 20 levels above the requirement to use it (2 tiers higher), in order for it to spawn.

My friend has 59 defense but only gets kratonite armor, but he has 61 attack and gets fractite weapons.

This is why you never get stuff over tier 8 (other than fish).

Also, on the starting tables, you will ALWAYS get items of your dominant style. If your combat is melee-based, you will get melee weapons.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog