tedbundty

Don't you think it's kinda lame and arrogant to have Private Chat set to 'Friends'?

I have it on. I have an ignore list for randoms who spam me.

I'm usually happy to help out anyone, even Randoms.

If I need some piece and quiet, like dungeoneering/jad, I'll put it on off/friends if I'm in a team.

Drops: Black Mask.

Clue rewards: Sara Plate, 2 Robins, Some other random stuff.

setting private to friends isn't arrogant it's a prefrence, i don't wave and talk to everyone on the bus so why would i want to talk to everyone on runescape...

Current Goal: all skills 60+

Completed Goals:99 fishing[sept 4th, 09]

Grayy_Goose.png

The only reason why my chat is set to on is because of 1) Old friends who I may have accidentally removed still play and 2) With the name change update (In my opinion, the stupidest [bleep]ing update, EVER) I have no idea who is who anymore.

Honestly, it used to always be set to friends in the past due to the number of scammers, low-lifes and general degenerates who would inslult, beg, annoying, scam, etc., to get what they want. It was just a hassle dealing with that bull [cabbage]. Nowadays, it's much harder to scam because all the fun activities were removed, I.E. no wilderness and no free trade.

With clan chat, the private chat system is rather useless to speak with strangers. I rarely chat with players nowadays, via public or private, so the chat system itself is proving useless more and more everyday.

To say someone is arrogant or lame to keep private chat to friends would be a ridiculous accusation. The OP in regards must be overly sensitive or just a bored troll.

soulthresher.png

I'm essentially retired, but when I do log on, I almost always have my private chat set to "friends" or "off". To be blunt, I don't want people I've never met messaging me at random; it's an annoyance I don't care to tolerate. Perhaps this does make me arrogant, I'll admit, but I prefer to reserve my private chat for conversations with my personal friends and acquaintances.

I would consider myself to be a generally helpful player, but as others have already said, I'm not interested in placing myself at the beck-and-call of anyone who happens upon my username. If I meet someone ingame who requires my assistance in some matter, I'll almost always be happy to help, but I don't want to be called away (via private chat) from what I'm doing by someone I don't even know.

Wir sind durch Not und Freude

gegangen Hand in Hand;

vom Wandern ruhen wir

nun überm stillen Land.

I find it amusing that this thread is not dead yet. No it's not lame and arrogant to set your private chat on private. If it's arrogant, why don't you give your contact details and cell phone number to every stranger you will ever meet?

- What do you have you're private chat set to and why?

1. Friends, because everyday i help some1 and they add me even though i don't want to be friends. I am constantly being barraged by questions from lazy people who cant read the front page whenever there's an update. People pretend to be my friend and do the casual flirt/hit on me thing... and its annoying. People see me talking to some1 then start talking to me when I'm talking 2 a friend and if i say wait... they get mad and yell or think if they pm it to me ill respond faster...

- When (if ever) you have Private Chat set to 'on' about how often do you get spammed by other players? (e.g. once a day, twice a day once a week, etc...)

2. on the hour every hour id say about every 15 to 30 min. usually just random questions or spams of hi! hi? hello? u there?

- In what ways do you agree/disagree with what I'm saying. Explain.

3. its not arrogant to want my chat on friends because i only wish to receive privet messages from people i know and trust... that's why. i also like to keep my ignore list empty. I'm sorry if you wanted to ask to barrow my items or ask what item that is I'm wearing or for help on a quest you see i don't feel like spending 5 minuets explaining how dungeering works or how to do this 1 part or what to wear to bandos or if you want me to come to kbd or if ... as u can see there is a lot that people ask... that takes 5 min game time to talk and explain for them to figure out and 30 seconds of Google searching.

I keep my private off because I'm normally Runecrafting with a Graahk and it sucks being distracted and letting the timer go.

If someone wants to ask me a personal question, I do turn my chat on though temporarily.

I don't turn my chat off because I'm "better" than other people, because I'm not. Most of the private messages I get from people are for begging me to tell them how to merchant or some other money making scheme and after a while, I just can't be bothered so I keep my chat off and talk to people in Lady H's chat.

I may also apologise for not fully answering the thread - I'm a terrible reader, even after learning English for 12 or so years. :unsure:

Eejits.png

"Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

Why is this thread even still going, has there been a single response yet agreeing that people who turn their chat to friends are "arrogant and lame"? This is not a discussion but rather everyone repeating over an over again that it is the players choice who they speak to, and it doesn't make them arrogant because they want to play a game and not deal with spam/immature players/idiots.

Yes. My response.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Why is this thread even still going, has there been a single response yet agreeing that people who turn their chat to friends are "arrogant and lame"? This is not a discussion but rather everyone repeating over an over again that it is the players choice who they speak to, and it doesn't make them arrogant because they want to play a game and not deal with spam/immature players/idiots.

Yes. My response.

I really do not think giving out your phone number to random people is comparable to leaving private chat to 'on' for two main reaons:

1) There is no actual threat in leaving P Chat set to 'on' but there is one in giving people your phone number.

2) By turning Private Chat to 'on' you're not giving something out, you're merely not blocking other people who might by chance PM you. A better analogy would be this: to set your phone so that only people already in your contacts can call/text you is like setting private chat to 'friends' - which I'm sure would cause some inconveniences. To set your phone so that everyone can call, regardless of whether their phone number is in your contacts, is like setting private chat to 'on' - yes people whom you don't know could call you for no reason and curse at you but this hardly ever happens and most of the time it will be people calling for a legitimate reason (maybe they changed their phone number or it was just A friend who had your phone number but you didn't have theirs for some reason).

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

I find it amusing that this thread is not dead yet. No it's not lame and arrogant to set your private chat on private. If it's arrogant, why don't you give your contact details and cell phone number to every stranger you will ever meet?

I dont understand how people can make the connection between Runescape Private chat and a Cell Phone Number.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

I dont understand how people can make the connection between Runescape Private chat and a Cell Phone Number.

The basic principles is similiar. Having RuneScape private chat 'on' means you are letting yourself receive messages that you may otherwise would not want to receive. Same could apply to cell phone numbers, if everyone knew what the number was.

The basic principles is similiar. Having RuneScape private chat 'on' means you are letting yourself receive messages that you may otherwise would not want to receive. Same could apply to cell phone numbers, if everyone knew what the number was.

But still, if we are going to follow the same analogy, then everyone can check out what your phone number is, trough a fast check in the phone book, or on the internet, unless you've asked specific to have a secret number.

Anyways, I usually have my private chat to friends, but if I'm in an extra bright mood, I'll turn it on, just in case someone asks me for help, or someone I've been monster hunting with (and I've forgot all about) invites me for a trip.

But is it rude to have it set to friends, I wouldn't say so. Most strangers that want to contact you only know you because they are right beside you, and could therefore speak to me through public chat.

But putting public chat to off, or friends might be quite arrogant though (though I must admit to doing it sometimes when tired, doing low-attention training and listening to music) mostly because other people can't know that your public chat is off, and still try to talk to you, even though you don't hear anything.

Scherzo.png

yes people whom you don't know could call you for no reason and curse at you but this hardly ever happens and most of the time it will be people calling for a legitimate reason

Actually, 9 times out of 10, if OUR phone rings it is a telemarketer or Rogers trying (yet again) to get us to bundle our phone in with our internet/cable for small discounts. As for my cell phone, very few people know the number and it has only rang once (a random wrong number from Alberta; I'm in Ontario).

Private chat = off for me 90% of the time. Only time I turn it on is when i try and sell something on the forums and am awaiting replies.

No, it's not because I'm arrogant, it's more because I prefer not to have to talk to randoms. Also, I quit for a year or two and most of my good old friends have moved on from the game.

I'm not "better" than anyone, I help out all I can if they ask me straight up in public chat, and am generally very friendly.

Staurolite.png

While I don't think there is a right answer to this kind of discussion, but I will put in some of my thought here.

When I was a new player to RS, I set my chat to ON all the time. I wanted to make friends and I wanted to help people with things I learned, life was good and everyone is enjoying each others company. As my level rose through the ranks, I started to notice some people I add just want to ask for free things, or they want to add you simply because your combat or total lvl is high.

Even once in a while, after my combat hit lvl 100 plus, I would go out of my way to spend hours on end trying to help out new players with quest and money making tips, but for the most people, they wanted me to give them something for free one thing after another. Now due to the fact my combat level is high, majority of the people see me as a high level and not another individual, I started to get random PMs from people either dissing at my combat level or asking for free things.

Sometimes, some people even get offended when I don't reply fast enough because there are quite a number of people I talked on the same time, as the time goes on, I turn the friend list to friends or off when I am training.

Fast forward to now, I rarely add anyone now (add like 6 in past 3 years) and never leave the chat to on, because the moment I turn it on, some odd people add me in the past will either ask for free things or making odd demands (some even say, hey if you quit, can I have your acc?). I also had some personal reason to change it to friend because disagreement with certain friend.

The funny thing is, I keep all the friends I added in the past right to when I first started (until I decide to remove them because they come back as some other people, they either sold or give it to someone else), even though most of them never come on again. I also set my friend list to on for few months because I accidentally delete a few people when the name change update happened, so they can add me back later on. While doing that, random PMs started to pop up, and I decide to change it back to friends after certain grace period.

In the end, I don't think you can really generalize one idea to everyone, its like one shoes doesn't fit all. Not everyone shares the same philosophy. I don't think its lame and arrogant for people to change their PM to friends because they all have legitimate reasons. For those that leave it on and want to help others, that's alright too. You can do whatever you want to play the game that you enjoy.

a happy Runescaper

I think it has to do with the major influx of younger players we've been getting.

I was a reading a topic like this one on RuneHQ, and I rarely talk in-game anymore. I just can't tolerate people who feel they have to harass others...

I think it has to do with the major influx of younger players we've been getting.

I was a reading a topic like this one on RuneHQ, and I rarely talk in-game anymore. I just can't tolerate people who feel they have to harass others...

Agreed, except the Runescape community has always skewed young, there really is no recent influx (other than the massive influx from Miniclip).

All my filters are on 'Friends'

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My privite is on friends 99% of the time unless i got something up on forums which i told them to pm me, honestly i think this post is idiotic and has no meaning if you think its arrogant that i dont want random noobs that iv never talked to before msging me that "im going to get banned" or asking for random crap your probebly one of the people that does it.

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

My private chat is set on "ON". Reason: nobody bothers me.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I've have my PM set to "friends" for years since someone tried to scam me through PM when I was still kinda new. If people need help, they can always ask in public or clan chats where more people can see it. It's not like you have a better chance to get help if you ask through ONE player's PM.

I always set it on "Friends." When I leave it set to "On," bad things usually happen. Most of the time I get cussed at or called snitch for being a PMod. But I do add people when they ask for help/tips.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

Okay, I take my earlier statement back. Today, merchant clans started bombarding me with invites.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

It's not arrogant to block unwanted chat. It's "private" for a reason, not for the whole world to be able to reach you.

I once had a very large period of time, where if I didn't have my private messages set to friends i'd get about a million messages per second, and then I wouldn't be able to talk to my friends. I still somewhat have this issue of people I don't even know messaging me about things that happened a long time ago, but I have more friends on my friends list then I have space to add them, and I don't want to get rid of the people who are on it. I don't see this as being the case for everybody else, but I wasn't feeling like I was better then everybody else, I simply didn't have the time to say hi to everybody, and those who are my friends come first. Even today i'm set to friends only, and if people don't like that so be it. I honestly can give a care less what people think of me over it, if they think i'm a moron then I probability wouldn't give a care about getting to know them anyhow, as they are totally ignorant towards deductive reasoning.

advent-children-cloud-honest1.jpg

99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99

Former Tip.it Events team leader