Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

12205 replies to this topic

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
I think the whole "sad" vs "depressing" thing is just semantics.

Regardless, you can't fault Ginger for thinking it's sad/depressing, considering that scene was intended to make you feel that way.

77yLQy8.png

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,846 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Getting involved in a manga, hitting the end of it all and realizing there's 1 or 2 more chapters left in the series, and they haven't been released yet. :<

or worse still, same thing but the author just decides "ah [bleep] it, can't be arsed with this manga anymore. I'll make a new one"

Popoto.~<3

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
I think that you can choose to see happiness or sadness in that scene and your choice says a lot about you as a person.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Distracted
[ Display Name History ]

Distracted

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • RSN:A Real Fool
We have some of the weirdest arguments here.

Sure, Ellie and Carl had a nice life together, but the movie isn't focussing on their life, it's focussing on what happens after that whole story. It's meant to build up all the happiness in their life, so you can see what a devastating loss it was for Carl when his wife died. After establishing that, the movie starts (at least I assume, I've yet to see it).

Also, movie is wrong according to Firefox spellchecker. So is Firefox.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
That's exactly how it works, actually. He initially becomes quiet, lonely and reclusive afterwards (much like he had been during his childhood before meeting Ellie), obstinately refusing to sell his increasingly-neglected home to property developers, or accept a place offered to him at a retirement home.

To be fair to Y Guy, professional counseling services which focus on CBT, which me and my siblings received after our mother died during our childhood, encourage people to firstly accept that death is an inevitable, natural occurrence and not one that's necessarily in our control, and secondly to focus on the happy life the person lived rather than the life they no longer will. We were encouraged to write, draw and talk about fond memories and to literally store them in a box, the psychological metaphor obviously being to 'store it in the back of your mind' as you slowly come to terms with grief. So the emphasis is, over a long-term basis, starting to see something like that scene as a "good life lived", as Y said, but the initial reaction to seeing that for most people would be one of overwhelming sadness and helplessness.

I won't ruin the film for those who haven't seen it but it could be said the rest of the movie is Carl basically going through that grieving process. It's quite impressive how they manage to discuss a plot which requires that level of maturity to understand fully, but they do it in a cartoon-ish way that children can still find funny and connect with. That was my lasting impression anyway.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
^ Basically what I'm getting at. Society tends to see death as a terrible thing for obvious reasons, but I don't think that's something we have to accept as inevitable (death as tragedy).

polvCwJ.gif

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

^ Basically what I'm getting at. Society tends to see death as a terrible thing for obvious reasons, but I don't think that's something we have to accept as inevitable (death as tragedy).

I think it was Taleb who pointed out that the ancients feared inglorious death while modern man fears merely death. You only have to look at the difference between Greek heroes and Ray Kurzweil, who lives off pills and wine in the vainglorious belief that he can and should live forever, to see that he was right.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
I wonder how much that has to do with changing attitudes regarding death. Compare the knowledge, medicines, and beliefs (or lack of belief, if you want to be pedantic) of then to those of today.

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
You also have to look at what we have left of those societies. Primarily, it's their stories, which glorify heroes, and heroes, even today, aren't so much afraid to die as they are afraid to not be remembered. The average Greek probably had much the same attitude we do about death, we just can't see that since we're a couple thousand years past the average Greek.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
^ Perhaps so, but as far as we can tell these were not societies where one could admit to fearing death itself. And given that as recently as the 1940s we had Japanese soldiers fighting to the death rather than face the shame of capture, that these attitudes filter down and presumably reflected the overriding themes of their literature is a reasonable assumption.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I'm trying to draw straight lines in pen for a sketch but my hands keep shaking and my eyes do this little shiver thing where they go out of focus, a bit googly eyed and then lag behind instead of following my hand flowing across the page. I cocked up trying to draw two parallel lines.

Posted Image
☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Hakaan
[ Display Name History ]

Hakaan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • RSN:Hakaan
I can't remember if anyone's said this one, but when people confuse not talking to people for being "antisocial". Nobody seems to know the difference. Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't antisocial personality disorder where you want to steal things, break things, take advantage of people, not obey the law, etc. and not talking to people would be more like avoidant personality disorder? It's a common misconception that annoys the hell out of me.
Come support my max total goal here.

Briobe122's 10-step guide to staking:

1. Get cleaned
2. Vow to never stake ever again! (very important)
3. welfare tds and get claws
4. kill glacors til i get boots
5. bandos ffa or more tds til i have around 50m
6. realize that it is far too hard to rebuild using steps 3, 4, and 5
7. give up the vow to never stake again
8. go back staking and make your bank back
9. if you failed at step #8, Go back to step #1
10. if you succeed at step #8, you will eventually feel the need to make money for rich people stuff, have a bad day of staking, then get cleaned anyways

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
What I don't understand is why people who don't like talking to others are considered "disordered" in the first place.

polvCwJ.gif

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts

What I don't understand is why people who don't like talking to others are considered "disordered" in the first place.

You seem to be confusing not liking talking to people with an inability to talk to people due to social phobia. Your statement is analogous to saying, "I don't understand why people who don't like spiders will do anything to avoid even the sight of them." Because phobias go beyond simple disliking a stimulus, and there's a big difference between not liking spiders and being arachnophobic.

In any case, antisocial personality disorder, social phobia disorder and the layman's term "antisocial" are all separate things. When people say "antisocial", they're not really referring to APD, they're simply referring to somebody who avoids social situations, or "asocial". Which depending on a person's normal personality, is a perfectly healthy characteristic.

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,603 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly

I'm trying to draw straight lines in pen for a sketch but my hands keep shaking and my eyes do this little shiver thing where they go out of focus, a bit googly eyed and then lag behind instead of following my hand flowing across the page. I cocked up trying to draw two parallel lines.

Just a thought. Don't look at the pen when you draw lines. Look where you want the pen to end up. That's how we do it in drafting. Also, move your hand quickly across the paper. If you go really slow over a large difference your going to get a big squiggle.

If were going to talk about not talking, the people who assume that quiet people secretly want to talk but are too shy. It gets annoying when people get pushy.

b6brc9.jpg

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
People who have no good reason for not talking to me, despite my best efforts to seem approachable and friendly.

</devilsadvocate>

EDIT: Erm... what the hell:
Posted Image
That's way more than usual. :-s

Distracted
[ Display Name History ]

Distracted

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • RSN:A Real Fool
Obviously our views on talking/not talking to each other are so mindblowing the whole internet had to come and see it.

Huge Ego
[ Display Name History ]

Huge Ego

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • RSN:Huge Ego
Ugh.. people that chew with their mouth open or talk very loud when your right infront of them.. >.> people who text and drive and not pay attention to the road >.< also definitely people that take stuff of mine w/o asking..people who leave lights on when they leave the room..people who pick their nose LOL c: people who bite their fingernails off and spit them >.< people that make fun of others for their disorders or how they dress :( hmm..people that talk to much

Defile.png

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I needed a new computer monitor. After searching for one on a giveaway site i finally found one (it took time). Because you get alot of compeition from other users of the site, many of them who just wait for valueable items for them to pick up when someone gives it away.

So i went to the persons house who was giving away this flat screen monitor. When i met the guy, he seemed like a nice person. And i asked shortly after "Is there any problem with the monitor?", you know just to be sure i wasn't taking a trainwreck of a item with me.
Even if it's free, useless stuff is not worth crap if it doesn't serve it's purpose well.

However, before any dialogue revolving my question could happen my brother (who had come along with me) said "It's free stuff, you shouldn't complain". So i let it pass. The giver seemed really nice.

Now prior to getting a new monitor, i dumped my old one at a eletronics store for recycling.

Now after having used this monitor for quite sometime, i have experienced the issues it has.

1) Quite often, autobrightness comes up. It takes the brightness up to 100. And if you fight it by taking it down, your just delaying the inevetible.
Very annoying because i have brightness at 0. Sometimes autobrightness not only happens twice, but three times or more.

2) Menu appearing, and flashing. Off , on, off, on,off,on....and it goes on like that.

3) Auto adjust, before i started writing happen this auto adjusted happened like 10 times in row.

There does not seem to be any fix for it.

Getting to the point....
People like this who give away stuff that is so broken that it gets on the nerves of the user are simply arseholes.
Nowhere did the giver state the monitor had issues like this.

You could say "Your own fault for not making sure it didn't have problems".
I don't think the giver would answer truthfully question that includes the words broken, error, problems etc.

So yeah, people like this are arseholes. And i hope the people who dump their trash on other people (because they are lazy arseholes) experiences the frustration that they inflict on said people tenfold.

Tell your story if you have one. I am sure you do, alot of scum humans in this world.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
If its relatively new, not cosmetically damaged and they are giving it away for free there's bound to be something wrong with it, that's just common sense.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users