Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

12205 replies to this topic

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

The price of alcohol here, just spent $95 on 3 two sixes and 3 imported beers.

JoeDotPHP
[ Display Name History ]

JoeDotPHP

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Doc Joe
  • Clan:Consentus

The price of alcohol here, just spent $95 on 3 two sixes and 3 imported beers.

I know it's ridiculous.  I don't drink but I do know the prices and I'm happy I don't spend so much on something that really does nothing for me.

-

My physics homework when I spend 15 minutes looking at a damn question which should only take me about 3 minutes.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

I drew a bunch of gesture drawing and pose demos for a tutorial I'm writing and I ended up not needing them.

Edit: wait nevermind found a use for the things

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Visual Studio is a piece of shit software and Microsoft should be ashamed of it.

Tesset
[ Display Name History ]

Tesset

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,017 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Visual Studio is a piece of shit software and Microsoft should be ashamed of it.

Visual Studio is my favorite IDE I've used and every time I switch to something else I find myself missing features or at least button shortcuts from it.

But I recognize that I'm pretty inexperienced and maybe don't qualify for a super informed opinion, so...

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
My experience is that if your reason for not trying something new is, "I'm used to doing it the old way," you should go ahead and switch

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Visual Studio is my favorite IDE I've used and every time I switch to something else I find myself missing features or at least button shortcuts from it.

But I recognize that I'm pretty inexperienced and maybe don't qualify for a super informed opinion, so...

Eclipse is by far my favourite

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,452 posts

I like eclipse when I know I shouldn't. I know intellij is a lot better and I use that ide for python (pycharm) but I just cant get used to it in java, even when using eclipse keybinds

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

I really can't do IDEs anymore. I just use Atom and a couple packages

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,452 posts
I used sublime and jupyter for python as well.

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
Visual studio has changed massively by version.

2005 & 2008 - utter crap
2010 - decent
2012, 2013 - awesome
2015 - pretty good

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Kalphite
[ Display Name History ]

Kalphite

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  • RSN:kalphiteman4

jetbrains ides for python/java (and android dev technically) and visual studio for c++ for me, though I typically use sublime for web apps for whatever reason.

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts
I just use Sublime Text with a terminal. Atom is a disgrace and a sickness of the "WEB ALL THE THINGS" movement. A code editor should not have any absurd performance issues on any reasonable hardware. I dislike vim and emacs because they're esoteric abominations and I cannot use bizarre key combinations/shortcuts to save my life.

The build process is taken care of with a build generator (e.g., premake/cmake for C/C++) for heavier things. Generally, if I were to release whatever I develop, I'd have to go back and create a build generator configuration anyway, since IDE-specific solutions are hostile outside of the specific IDE they were created with and oftentimes any machine but the machine it was built on.

Not to mention IDEs are just too heavy and cumbersome. It's easier to edit a configuration file, rather than dig through a dungeon of menus and use mouse-centric input fields for lists and so many other woes...

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

I just use Sublime Text with a terminal. Atom is a disgrace and a sickness of the "WEB ALL THE THINGS" movement. A code editor should not have any absurd performance issues on any reasonable hardware. I dislike vim and emacs because they're esoteric abominations and I cannot use bizarre key combinations/shortcuts to save my life.

Hey, JavaScript is nothing to be afraid of :P

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts

My issue is the incredibly poor performance of applications that are little more than a WebKit instance, like Atom. JavaScript itself has nothing to do with it.

ozXHe7P.png

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

My issue is the incredibly poor performance of applications that are little more than a WebKit instance, like Atom. JavaScript itself has nothing to do with it.

It's mostly because it's a new technology. It performs perfectly fine on most machines, just some OS and hardware combinations have problems. Using Electron/NW has a lot of advantages so I'm just glad I don't have one of those bad combos

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,452 posts

This is what jupyter looks like to anyone who hasnt used it yet

0d9987ac6a0ae366c3647c1d48d69802.png

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

The build process is taken care of with a build generator (e.g., premake/cmake for C/C++) for heavier things. Generally, if I were to release whatever I develop, I'd have to go back and create a build generator configuration anyway, since IDE-specific solutions are hostile outside of the specific IDE they were created with and oftentimes any machine but the machine it was built on.

Not to mention IDEs are just too heavy and cumbersome. It's easier to edit a configuration file, rather than dig through a dungeon of menus and use mouse-centric input fields for lists and so many other woes...

Eclipse has always performed really well for me. Coding in a text editor is too cumbersome for testing and debugging, I do like Sublime for HTML though.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• 7,789 posts

Idk about other languages, but there aren't really any IDEs for JavaScript that have good debuggers. WebKit's debugger is the best by a mile, so I'd much rather run my app through iron-node if I want to debug it. Using a built-in debugger doesn't really get me anywhere.

And idk how much an IDE would improve testing. Maybe my workflow is wrong, but when I'm testing, I just type npm test into my terminal and it runs my test script. I haven't used an IDE since college, though, and back then I definitely didn't write unit tests lol so I don't really know what IDEs do different wrt testing

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,338 posts

Eclipse has always performed really well for me. Coding in a text editor is too cumbersome for testing and debugging, I do like Sublime for HTML though.

Eclipse took five seconds to open on my computer (Intel i5-4670 / Samsung 840 Pro SSD / FreeBSD 10.2). Opening any Java source file takes a minimum of two seconds to display. (And there is a pointless close confirmation box, too. Excellent UI design!)

Sublime Text takes less than a second to open. Opening the same Java source file (2 KB / 100 LOC) takes less than a second. Opening a 350 KB / 12,000 LOC C source file takes around a second to display.

Atom is worse than Eclipse, but it's not in ports or in the packages so I can't see how much more.

I very much dislike how incredibly bloated software is becoming. I use a multitasking operating system and would like to keep it that way.

ozXHe7P.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users