Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

Israeli public support for the current situation would drop dramatically if Netanyahu decided to go ahead with the ground operation. It didn't work the last time in 2008, in fact many would argue it only made the deep societal problems in Palestine which lead to Hamas seizing control of the Strip worse. It resulted in mass Palestinian civilian casualties and drew widespread condemnation from leaders around the world. That, as well as other incidents, lead to Israel's loss of Turkey as an ally in 2010; Turkey in response to this crisis has labelled Israel a 'terrorist state', almost completely opposite to its stance in 2008. He could do it, but he risks a whole lot going wrong, not just domestically but the region as a whole, and even if the ground operation was a success (which it undoubtedly would be, the Gaza Strip has no military capacity to defend itself) then there would be the question of what happens next.

So given all of that, saying that Netanyahu has fallen short of a full-scale ground operation isn't much of a sign of self-restraint, because actually, it isn't really an option on the table.

What is notable, though, is that despite Hamas launching rockets with the expressed intent of killing as many Israeli civilians as possible, they've actually only managed to kill three in seven days. It's been very ineffective, as it has been for years. Contrast that with the sheer scale of retaliation by the IDF, and you find even less evidence of restraint; the IDF has launched far more firepower at the Gaza Strip in the past week than it has received, about twice as much on some conservative figures going up to three times as much if you believe Palestinian sources. Yesterday, fifteen IDF airstrikes killed more Palestinians in a matter of minutes than Hamas has managed to kill Israelis with rocket attacks in the last three years.

That's damning enough, but just to round off, I'll leave you with the words of the Israeli Interior Minister yesterday, who said:

"[The] goal of the operation is to send Gaza back to the Middle Ages."

Debates about Israel and Palestine whose belligerents have no first-hand experience in Gaza and only get their information from Western media sources. That's what annoys the hell out of me.

• Like 3

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Debates about Israel and Palestine whose belligerents have no first-hand experience in Gaza and only get their information from Western media sources. That's what annoys the hell out of me.

Haha touche

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Haha touche

Some of the information in that post came from Haaretz. That well known Western media source that has its HQ in Tel Aviv, obviously. Not to mention most Western media sources rely on some degree to reports from the AP and Reuters, both of whom have people in the Gaza Strip and Israel.

So I'm not really sure why it annoys you. If all you're seeing is very biased interpretations of first-hand accounts from the conflict, I can understand that. But there's enough objective reporting out there to form your own valid opinion on the matter.

Haha touche

Some of the information in that post came from Haaretz. That well known Western media source that has its HQ in Tel Aviv, obviously. Not to mention most Western media sources rely on some degree to reports from the AP and Reuters, both of whom have people in the Gaza Strip and Israel.

So I'm not really sure why it annoys you. If all you're seeing is very biased interpretations of first-hand accounts from the conflict, I can understand that. But there's enough objective reporting out there to form your own valid opinion on the matter.

The news reports on balance are pretty good, it's the debates that follow them, usually in the comments sections. This particular issue seems to have the right ingredients to turn otherwise rational people into foaming-at-the-mouth partisans on either side. It makes me question how rational the average person really is.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I've seen comments like "Palestinians have the right to launch rockets because it's their land." Conveniently ignores half a century of history, and Hamas's responsibility in the current crisis. Also, "Israel has to put up with Hamas firing rockets at it for no reason" isn't a proper representation of how Israel's foreign policy under Netanyahu has caused the economic ruin and consequent poverty in Gaza which indirectly lead to Hamas's rise to power. On both sides, there's a certain element of deliberate, self-induced confusion. Add to that the aspect of religion (it's pretty easy to boil this conflict, and others in the Middle East, down to Islamism vs Zionist Judaism), and you've got a really toxic issue on your hands.

The mainstream media have always found it very difficult to report the Gaza-Israeli conflict, and by that I don't mean the past week, I mean the skirmishes that happen constantly next to the border even during ceasefires. Let alone do it in a way that is understandable and non-repetitive. That leads to a lot of ignorance on both sides.

I don't really see the point in taking a side. Its outcome does not affect me directly and it should be settled by the people in Gaza.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It annoys me when people automatically assume that all vegetarians/vegans are hell-bent on forcing everyone not to eat meat. I've been vegetarian for just under a year and I personally don't give a shit what people eat, as do nearly all of the other vegetarians/vegans that I know. But whenever I decline food because it has meat in it, someone will usually ask why and I'll respond that I'm vegetarian which will usually either earn weird looks (apparently it's not normal for guys to be vegetarians) or have them laugh at me and tell me how I shouldn't force my views on others when I never have in my life.

</rant>

My cellphone annoys me right now. The speaker decided to go out 1 month after the end of the warranty. I can only text people with it right now, and I'm not one to text, to the point that I only have a 250 texts/month on my plan and could probably live with 50. Btw texts (as on the phone if you haven't guessed) annoy the hell out of me and that's why I talk on the phone with people and don't really text them. Even did a factory reset in case Android was at fault here, but the speaker is still out. Now I have the choice of sending it for repairs ($150 and the chance that something else breaks in another month) or $300 and renewing my contract, for a new phone (the $300 being to finish paying my current phone).

You might be able to pick up an older smart phone that still works for less than that, and use it to finish your contract off. If you know anyone who's contract is about to expire, see if you cna get their phone. If not, I'm sure plenty of them end up on ebay when peoples contracts expire and they get a new one, so I expect they don't cost too much. You might even be able to get what you have now for a decent price, not sure. If not, at least you'll have a working phone, and with luck your carrier will allow you to program the new phone to take over the plan manually (they normally charge if you bring them into the store and have them do it).

Dude, you've gotta remember to keep an old Nokia or 2 around at all times. Seriously, those phones are amazing with battery life, signal reception and voice clarity.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Thanks Randox, this is a pretty good idea. As for SaqPrets, my parents do have an old Nokia and I agree, amazing battery life and all that stuff, except it's too old and doesn't get signal anymore since the towers aren't there for this type of phone anymore :P. I do still have my old LG phone lying around, but it's not a smartphone lol.

WAIT, WHAT?

You have no GSM reception in Canada anymore?

That's it, I'm never going there.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I'm not into all that signal thing, but what's GSM? Lol. I don't know anything else than Analog or Digital. And their phone is probably 10 years old now, it was one of the first nokias with a color display.

WAIT, WHAT?

You have no GSM reception in Canada anymore?

That's it, I'm never going there.

Well Comrade, the West updates their technology. :wink:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Well, we also have nearly 90% coverage of HSPA and/or HSUPA on all the country, but we also still keep our 99% coverage of GSM.

And we have quite wide 4G coverage aswell, although there aren't too much phones or devices that support it and it is madly expensive...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Actually I checked it out, and Rogers is still using GSM here, although they don't have much coverage at all here in New Brunswick (very small province compared to the other Canadian provinces).

Y'know, I think I understand why a huge portion of the world hates capitalism so much.

For us it's boxing day, your influence is starting to spread. Still, we're Canadians, and Maritimers at that. The only difference is stuff get's cheep and the stores have way too many people in them. It's still pretty calm.

People who are obsessed with something (a band, a show, a game, etc) and bring it up all the freaking time, like they can't ever think of anything else. It's esp. stupid when you're having a convo about something and they butt in and start talking about it and it has no relevance to the topic being previously discussed.

eg.

Bob: Oh wow black friday was crazy. Did you buy anything?

Max: Nope it scares me.

Moron: HEY GUYS CHECK OUT THE NEW SINGLE OF MY FAVOURITE FINNISH BAND!

Bob & Max: ...

2480+ total