Assume Nothing

Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

I now know enough about color to be annoyed by complaints about blue/orange contrast. I get where they're coming from and it is annoying to see it everywhere, but it's really just devolved into neckbeards and Cracked writers (but I'm repeating myself) saying something is automatically terrible because they put their orangey-skinned hero against a blue sky, and not because of any real design flaws it might have... Or, you know, the fact that there are hundreds of very valid reasons to use it that any designer worth their salt would be aware of.

I mean, hey guys, look at this creatively bankrupt garbage

I understand why someone would want variety in media so that everyone isn't doing the same thing, but this is a such a subtle thing that deviating from it is going to have almost no effect on the power of the movie for 99% of the population. Yeah, this is kind of a dumb complaint.

Yeah I didn't even notice it until I skimmed the links. Surprised they didn't include Portal in the examples.

My dad's kind of the same way as those guys sometimes, though so I can sort of understand where they're coming from. My parents go to the movies all the time and my dad was just joking about how frequently he hears the "ONLY ONE MAN CAN..." line in movie trailers and stuff. Hell, I saw Interstellar with him last night and he nudged me during the trailers and was like, "See! SEE?! 'ONLY ONE MAN CAN SAVE THE WORLD' in this trailer too!" "Yep you're right, Dad." haha

77yLQy8.png

That particular cliche is way more noticeable than the blue/orange one, tbh.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I have started noticing the blue/orange in movies over the past few years, but I don't usually mind it

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I feel like a 13-gallon trash bag should be able to hold 13, 1-gallon water bottles.  I was wrong, could barely fit 9...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

The problem is that the gallon is entirely inside the jug, but the jugs don't tesselate, so there's outside air volume to take into account as well.

You could cut them in half and fit them inside each other, then you'd fit even more than 13, because the inside air volume wouldn't be a problem either.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Last time I mixed plastic and scissors it was not pretty though...and hey the jug is roughly a rectangular prism anyway.  I don't know, maybe.  The ones I have are even closer than the picture I found here.

2346066_large.jpg

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Cars stop well over the crosswalk, and then proceed to wave me through to go ahead and cross.  I wouldn't mind if they just went straight through - it's not like there's a line of twenty cars behind them most times.  I usually walk behind them instead to subtly make my point.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Going back to the orange/blue thing, literally every shot of this trailer.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

The fact that the closer it gets to Christmas the farther away it seems.

• Like 1

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Someone is making a racket out there with a leafblower. They did it for hours on Saturday, and now today. I mean come on man, if you were going to clean up the leaves why not do it earlier in the season anyway?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

If I were in charge of things it would be a crime to operate any sort of loud machine outdoors before 12

• Like 1

I don't like the soldier worship we have in America. 

Politically I don't feel that any of the wars weve fought since WWII has been particularly important to our defence.

Socially besides draftees i feel that soliders are guys who are doing a job because its the most convienient and best paying one around for their experience level. Also statistically soldiering for the US safer then loggers or fishermen.

I dislike the soldier worship because I think having that stance lessens peoples willingness to go to war thereby making soldiers having a safer job and decreases the number soldiers since you have less 18 year olds who think its a good idea to get shot at for money/respect. Then finally an anti military culture decreases the likelihood of a draft.

All an all pretty reasonable goals, but people flip shit whenever i say this. Weird and annoying :lol:

• Like 1

I agree. A military is at best a necessary evil, and in most historical cases, not even that.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

SJWs. I don't like being called the enemy or being expected to apologize for something I didn't do.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

SJWs. I don't like being called the enemy or being expected to apologize for something I didn't do.

Similarly, I dislike being completely discredited because I happen to care about the kind of people that really only exist as a punchline. In the interest of not causing a shitstorm, can I concede that both sides need better people?  :-P

I have a hard time taking anyone who uses the term "SJWs" seriously. Now it's basically just a pejorative term used to generalize anyone who shows sympathy for minorities. Subreddits like r/tumblrinaction are poisonous circlejerks that point to a few dumb posts by impressionable teenagers, shout "SJW! SJW!" then expand the term to anyone who speaks out for things like feminism or racial equality. 

Well, you 'muricans would be nothing without your military.

That is my honest opinion.

Everywhere else China rules the world right now.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Well, you 'muricans would be nothing without your military.

That is my honest opinion.

Everywhere else China rules the world right now.

ok

• Like 2

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Similarly, I dislike being completely discredited because I happen to care about the kind of people that really only exist as a punchline. In the interest of not causing a shitstorm, can I concede that both sides need better people?  :-P

Yeah your going to get terrible people in any group. 

As far as SJWs go. I bet you find the "white privilege" punchline that flys around facebook a bit patronizing and beside the point. And largely it is, it comes off as a poo ball that gets thrown at people who really don't have much influence in the political or corporate world, ie: people youre friends with on facebook. You get really bad loaded terms because all this is grass roots and it is how people feel about the situation.

However what its describing is useful. Just from experience I can tell you that Joe is much more hirable then José. And from women with gender neutral names report that they get a lot of surprise from interviewers that they are a woman and more interviews overall. In terms of acknowledging that your success is your own but people are more willing to give you a shot earlier on when you are a WASP named John smith then say if you were Lefonda.

But I share your views I tend to not like SJWs just because like any group you get some really toxic people part of that one. And progressives being a group of people aren't exempt. I think what I hate most about toxic people who have progressive ideologies, ie: feminism or any other progressive ideology is that you get people who are part of that group for the status. Fighting "this generations fight" in the same way that previous generations ended segregation. Since these fights are typically about promoting a down and out group its easy to take the side of moral superiority. With this, anyone who disagrees with you can automatically be labeled as a racist, misogynistic, fascist scumbag. Which not only insulates you from any real discussion of social issues but separates you from that group of bad people you just bashed.

What makes this absolutely annoying isn't the poo balling since you get that all the time. Its the realization that most people who identify with progressive ideologies don't give a shit about solving problems, they care only about the status associated with being part of that group. When you actually approach most progressives you get nonsenical answers that are either "education",political privileged for their group (ie: guilty until proven innocent unless female, affirmative action), or ignoring non favorable statistics (usually then called a racist,misogynistic, fascist for bringing them up)

ie:

Me: Hey I've read up your blog about Rape Culture and the abysmally high rates of assault in this country. How would you go about solving this issue?

SJW: We need to educate misogynistic men about what is consent and what is not.

Me: I agree that will help the issue but how do you deal with the overwhelming number of cases which don't deal with unclear consent but clear and planned assault.

SJW: (either denies this is the case or says a guilty until proven innocent legal system or promotes education again)

Me: Thank you for your input.

tl;dr: look at the bold, underline part

Both feminists and MRAs would both be a lot happier and more successful if they understood that when life throws a challenge at you, adapting to the challenge is a lot more effective than complaining about the challenge and refusing to adapt

This is why I don't follow politics. I've never met someone who became a happier and more successful person as a result of getting emotionally invested in "issues."

If something isn't affecting you personally in your day to day life, don't worry about it. If something is affecting you in your day to day life, figure out how to adapt in the simplest way possible.

One of my favorite quotes:
"You'd best change your point of view. Stop blaming me, thinking I'm the problem. If you think I'm the problem, then you have to change me. If you realize that you're the problem, then you can change yourself, learn something and grow wiser. Most people want everyone else in the world to change but themselves. Let me tell you, it's easier to change yourself than everyone else."

77yLQy8.png

Hm? How exactly would you adapt to that sort of thing? Just from my own experiences, there's really not much you can do when a strongly ingrained social issue slaps an opportunity out of your hands.

Hm? How exactly would you adapt to that sort of thing? Just from my own experiences, there's really not much you can do when a strongly ingrained social issue slaps an opportunity out of your hands.

Give me a specific example and I'll tell you what I'd do

77yLQy8.png

Yeah your going to get terrible people in any group. 

As far as SJWs go. I bet you find the "white privilege" punchline that flys around facebook a bit patronizing and beside the point. And largely it is, it comes off as a poo ball that gets thrown at people who really don't have much influence in the political or corporate world, ie: people youre friends with on facebook. You get really bad loaded terms because all this is grass roots and it is how people feel about the situation.

This privilege thing is pretty much the problem I have with them. As for the rest of the causes, I pretty much tried to steer clear of politics and other such debates simply because I see the whole thing as unnecessary stress that's going to resolve itself one way or the other without my input anyway. The place where I have a personal problem with SJWs is pretty much where Ring World said: how being a white male is pretty much their equivalent of original sin. Another problem is how calling them out on it generally leads to the accusation that I hate them because I don't care about equality, when really it's because I don't like being called guilty of something I never did.

In my day to day life, I don't treat people better or worse depending on race or sex or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, as long as that's true, I am not part of the problem, and I'd appreciate people not saying I am.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png