Guinness World Records Names Top 50 Game Franchises Of All Time

Toki_Hakurei

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice Halo and CoD are number 1 and 2? Obviously the list was voted on by a bunch of kids. I'm surprised Chrono Trigger made the list.

*throws my own personal opinion on top 10 in the hopes of making ppl feel better*

1. Mario

2, Zelda

3. Kirby

4. Final Fantasy

5. Diablo

6. Street Fighter

7. Metal Gear Solid

8. Warcraft (not WoW)

9. Namco Museum Games

10. Tomb Raider (though i think this franchise has died recently?)

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

I'm actually not surpised by this list. The only thing I am surpised at is that CoD is not number one, I guess Activision couldn't cough up the cash to bribe Guinness.

If the question was what are the most popular 50 franchises of all time then this would be a pretty accurate list. The question of what is the "best" is just a stupid question to ask for games and pretty much anything really when there are so many to choose from.

Lol whenever these lists are posted its always "OMFG X GAME NOT IN TOP 10".

This is even worse then that list of the top 100 games of all time :thumbdown:

Pokemon/Mario/WoW(i don't like it, but no one can deny it's fame) Should be nº 1

Also where in the name of holy !#$%/"$!"#$%/& is METROID?

But all in all, it's guiness, didn't expect much. Still shame on them :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

*facepalm*

Command & Conquer? Age of Empires? Civilisation? Have they just decided to ignore all strategy games or something? :s

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Why do we not make our own list here on VG&C? Let everybody make a top 10 game franchise list, then tally the scores into a top 50?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Why do we not make our own list here on VG&C? Let everybody make a top 10 game franchise list, then tally the scores into a top 50?

Topic idea found. I agree on this, so I'll make it. Although it needs a few tweaks based on the few posters that pop around here. Maybe top 20, or would top 10 work fine?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

It would depend on how many people would join in. With more people, less would create a clearer leader.

I was basically thinking of just assigning say, 10pts for being #1 on somebodies list, 9 for #2 etc etc etc. Then it should work out right.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

They should named it "Top 50 most popular games"

It should have been based off of sells, popularity, and how many copies were released around the opening time. Would have been less biased.

vizardsig-1.png

I'd participate Danqazmlp.

Runescape being on that list baffles me to no end.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Ultimania expressed interest in creating it so I think it is only fair for him to. Although maybe it would be good to work out how it will work before creating it.

zqXeV.jpg

They should named it "Top 50 most popular games"

It should have been based off of sells, popularity, and how many copies were released around the opening time. Would have been less biased.

That's so slighted towards overhyped games it's not even reasonable to go that route.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

It's a good list I think, but not in "best games in old time" but "recently popular games."

I have no qualms with it if its under that category.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It's a good list I think, but not in "best games in old time" but "recently popular games."

I have no qualms with it if its under that category.

I agree. One thing i notice, is FIFA at 18, with Pro Evo at 50. Maybe not in the last one or two years, but for the 10+ prior to that, almost anybody who played the two said Pro Evo felt more fluid and realistic and was the better game.

zqXeV.jpg

Ever since Dungeoneering, Runescape deserves to be that high.

And Halo? Guitar Hero? Pokemon? Grand Theft Auto? :mellow: (Pokemon isn't that bad actually, it's just the newer titles... Pokemon BLACK and WHITE?)

Where the heck is Kirby? D:

Also, any rhythm game that isn't Taiko no Tatsujin should be erased from the list. Same with sports games (not racing games).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention