kid gets detention for eating a jolly rancher

michel555555

http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-Third-Grader-A-Weeks-Detention-93033319.html

ORCHARD, Texas A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a weeks detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in western Fort Bend County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The schools principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

But the girls parents say its a huge overreaction.

I think its stupid to give a kid a weeks worth of detention for a piece of candy, said Amber Brazda, the girls mother. "The whole thing was just ridiculous to me."

Leighann Adair, 10, was eating lunch Monday when a teacher confiscated the candy. Her parents said she was in tears when she arrived home later that afternoon and handed them the detention notice.

According to the disciplinary referral, she would be separated from other students during lunch and recess through Friday.

Jack Ellis, the superintendent for Brazos Independent School District, declined an on-camera interview. But he said the school was abiding by a state guideline that banned minimal nutrition foods.

Whether or not I agree with the guidelines, we have to follow the rules, he said.

The state, however, gives each school discretion over how to enforce the policy. Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

Ellis said failing to adhere to the states guidelines could put federal funding in jeopardy.

According to the Texas Department of Agricultures website, The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.

Brazos Elementary Principal Jeanne Young, said the problem, in this instance, was that the candy was provided by another student not the girls parents.

The girls mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

I told her, Leighann, unfortunately youre learning very young that lifes not fair,' Brazda said.

Remember the good old days when there were candy and soda machines in schools? And when playing outside durring recess you were actually aloud to have fun. How did we end up like this?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danm that kid got trolled.

And it was a trap anyway.

Should've known better.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I am glad that schools are starting to take actions like this. In my school it is against the rule to chew gum but even if you are cought you wont even be given a warning while in the rulebook it is a few days detention

friedtomato7.png "Zamorak pjed Zaros. He would have won 1v1.

" The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order-BrianPickrell

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that now one ever knew before. But in poetry, its the exact opposite."

Paul Dirac, 1902-1984

I am glad that schools are starting to take actions like this. In my school it is against the rule to chew gum but even if you are cought you wont even be given a warning while in the rulebook it is a few days detention

yes but isn't this a little extreme? Wouldn't it be better to use the carrot aproach instead of just jumping to the stick especially since they can't control what the children eat at home. Finding a sport that the kids love to play and having after school programs where they could play it would help keep kids much healthier then just a slap on the wrist everytime they bring candy to school.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

yes but isn't this a little extreme? Wouldn't it be better to use the carrot aproach instead of just jumping to the stick especially since they can't control what the children eat at home. Finding a sport that the kids love to play and having after school programs where they could play it would help keep kids much healthier then just a slap on the wrist everytime they bring candy to school.

At least they probably wont do it again

friedtomato7.png "Zamorak pjed Zaros. He would have won 1v1.

" The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order-BrianPickrell

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that now one ever knew before. But in poetry, its the exact opposite."

Paul Dirac, 1902-1984

So what? School policy is school policy. Was it stupid? Yeah, but it's not like she got suspended or anything.

Also it's good that schools are taking a stand against vending machines and non-nutritious food in school (though a warning would have been better). It's one of the major causes of childhood obesity. If kids want to eat that stuff, they can do it at home where at least their parents know they are eating it and can limit it if they wish.

Why exactly is the school taking heat? It's probably district policy and not the school itself. It is stupid, yes, but I doubt the school said they can't have it.

The girls mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

I told her, Leighann, unfortunately youre learning very young that lifes not fair,' Brazda said.

Sounds like the mother just learned this herself. Third grade isn't very young to learn that life is unfair - and putting it in such blatant terms like that takes away all the nuances and complexity of life. They're probably a family full of morons.

hiccup.png

Most kids 4-10th grade actually dont pay attention when people have assemblies to educate them "eat healthy" yeah what % will actually do that? the % that already is

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Sounds like the mother just learned this herself. Third grade isn't very young to learn that life is unfair - and putting it in such blatant terms like that takes away all the nuances and complexity of life. They're probably a family country full of morons.

*cough*

I'm done >.>

Sounds like the mother just learned this herself. Third grade isn't very young to learn that life is unfair - and putting it in such blatant terms like that takes away all the nuances and complexity of life. They're probably a family country planet full of morons.

*cough*

I'm done >.>

Can't you people do anything right?

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

To be honest, I think the whole idea of making kids eat healthy food to maintain a healthy weight is silly.

Do people who run track watch their carbos?

If you live an active lifestyle, you generally don't worry about have snack food, unless that is you get detention for eating it.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I would say she got off extremely lightly. I say such a grave offence warrants expulsion.

Those jolly rancher eaters sicken me.

99 Fletching - 01/08/08

99 Theiving - 09/11/08

99 Cooking - 12/13/08

99 Runecrafting - 10/23/09

99 Strength - 05/07/10

To be honest, I think the whole idea of making kids eat healthy food to maintain a healthy weight is silly.

Do people who run track watch their carbos?

If you live an active lifestyle, you generally don't worry about have snack food, unless that is you get detention for eating it.

In response to the track question: one word. Carboload ;)

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

a weeks detention for a stupid jolly rancher! OMG! the kid who gave it to her should be punished more than she was!

Proud Ubuntu User!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Scott Adams

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.-Emo Phillips

My Blog!

TyrantElf.png

TyrantElf.png

It's a rule. Maybe the punishment was slightly over the top, but some form of punishment was needed. When i was at school, we were also not allowed to eat sugary foods. It isn't a new thing, this was back in the 90's. We had the choice of eating fruit at break time, and we could either have a healthy packed lunch or a school meal. I remember once being told off for eating Crisps at break time. Was it a bad thing? No, but I learnt from it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Since when is junk food so bad, though?

I'd like to think of myself as being in decent shape, and I eat candy whenever I crave it. Especially in school, as chocolate really helps with a boring class.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

It's a rule. Maybe the punishment was slightly over the top, but some form of punishment was needed. When i was at school, we were also not allowed to eat sugary foods. It isn't a new thing, this was back in the 90's. We had the choice of eating fruit at break time, and we could either have a healthy packed lunch or a school meal. I remember once being told off for eating Crisps at break time. Was it a bad thing? No, but I learnt from it.

Teachers used to give us Jolly Ranchers... :/ Hell, even now. From time to time it's not uncommon for a teacher to bring in cookies or some [cabbage] like that

Good are rules, not rules are good.

Just because it's a rule, doesn't mean it makes perfect sense and must be justified. You guys have to open your eyes to this and get off the "I'm a good kid" mentality. Some rules (especially at the school level) are just so illogical they shouldn't be made one in the first place.

If there was a rule that charged you a heavy tax when you buy food, to the point of not getting enough making you starve, would you continue listening to that rule or you'll go to the black market, breaking the rule?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg