C rapier vs C longsword

Dragonlordjl

Both are superb weapons in their own right, but which is more useful overall?

The longsword is much stronger and more accurate but it is slightly slower. It has 19 strength, 13 stab, and 46 slash more than the rapier.

For slayer, the rapier would definitely be better since it is faster and most slayer monsters do not have very high defense. However, against bosses... It's a lot closer. Bosses have high defense, so the additional accuracy of the long would likely come into play. Also, you need high max hits to anti-crash, as you probably won't get but 2 or 3 attack turns during one spawn before the boss dies.

What are your opinions?

EDIT: Also, don't bring cost into the equation. There are people who slay with OVL potions and cannons.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's worth it to bring cost into the equation. Because rapier hits on more game ticks, it is used faster.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Longsword is better for slashing, rapier is better for stabbing. The difference between slash damage you would expect from the longsword and rapier is nearly the same as the difference between the extra stab damage you would get from rapier compared the longsword. So basically you would use rapier for slayer as slayer monsters don't really have a weakness, aswell as dragons, the longsword would be better suited for basically everything else. (bosses+ pvp mainly)

The DPS for the Rapier during slayer should only be slightly higher then the Longsword, while the longsword can also be used for bosses.

In general, I think it will come down to the defense of the monster that defines which would be better in a given situation. It's all just theory right now since no real major tests have been conducted (to my knowledge). Time will tell.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

The DPS for the Rapier during slayer should only be slightly higher then the Longsword, while the longsword can also be used for bosses.

In general, I think it will come down to the defense of the monster that defines which would be better in a given situation. It's all just theory right now since no real major tests have been conducted (to my knowledge). Time will tell.

rapier hits 1.25 times for every 1 hit the longsword does, whereas the max hit for the longsword is only 1.10x the rapier

so the rapier is about 13% better on most slayer tasks,

maybe that's slightly higher in some books, but not mine

Naaxi.png

rapier hits 1.25 times for every 1 hit the longsword does, whereas the max hit for the longsword is only 1.10x the rapier

You completely ignored accuracy

Sure some monsters you will not miss often on, but that just means the longsword would have missed that much less

Sure some monsters you will not miss often on, but that just means the longsword would have missed that much less

wait, i thought your argument revolved around the fact that the longsword is only "slightly" worse than the rapier for slayer, and the longsword is great for bosses.

of course i ignored defenses, slayer monsters have very low defense.

Very few slayer monsters have high enough defense such that the accuracy would make up for it.

out of all of kuradal's monster list, the only ones that have decent melee defense are: All i can think of is skeletal wyverns, since all other dragons are weak to stab anyways, and maybe abby demons, and black demons

it's not like you can't use a rapier for boss hunting anyways.

okay lets say that we have a player, turmoiling, overloading, 99 attack

and with a chaotic rapier at +142 stab bonus hits 70% of the time (pretty low accuracy if you ask me)

and the longsword is at 172 slash for him

the enemy monster is neutral to stab vs slash

and the game runs on a DND dice roll system for accuracy, which has been hinted at several times

then we have a max accuracy diceroll of 64 for the rapier

and 74 for the longsword.

so the defending monster would need a max accuracy diceroll of 38 to for the player to have an accuracy of about 70%

with a 74 max roll with the longsword, the players accuracy would go from 70% to 73.7%

which is only about 5% increase in DPS, for a whopping +30 attack accuracy, on a monster with a reasonable amount of defense (for a slayer monster)

i repeated this same test for various accuracies.

for 50% accuracy with the rapier, the longsword would see a +13$ benefit for the rapier's +13%

for 60% accuracy with rapier, the longsword would only see a +8% benefit to the rapier's +13%

for 70% accuracy with rapier, the longsword would see a +5% benefit to the rapier's +13%

for 80% accuracy with the rapier, the longsword would see a +3% benefit to the rapier's +13%

sure these numbers are kinda pulled outa nowhere, but they demonstrate the fact that accuracy bonuses do NOT contribute to DPS effectively, unless you're facing situations where you are literally missing, half the time or more.

Naaxi.png

wait, i thought your argument revolved around the fact that the longsword is only "slightly" worse than the rapier for slayer, and the longsword is great for bosses.

of course i ignored defenses, slayer monsters have very low defense.

Very few slayer monsters have high enough defense such that the accuracy would make up for it.

out of all of kuradal's monster list, the only ones that have decent melee defense are: All i can think of is skeletal wyverns, since all other dragons are weak to stab anyways, and maybe abby demons, and black demons

it's not like you can't use a rapier for boss hunting anyways.

Heh. I wasn't the one who responded to you, but the way you worded it makes it seem that it was aimed at me, and that isn't entirely my theory anyway... Of course, I can be mistaken, but it doesn't matter as I'm going to make a clearer definition of my post reguardless. =p

The first sentence was my opinion based on the stats. The second part is a theory based on the few videos that have been released. It basically states that the Chaotic Rapier will be used where defense doesn't matter, such as Slayer, while the Chaotic longsword, with its massive slash bonus, (170 with a Rune Defender, Ammy of Glory/Fury, Dragonstone Ring (i), and Barrows Gloves, or 165 excluding the Ring, or even 172 with an Onyx Ring and Fire Cape) will be the best DPS at most bosses.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Heh. I wasn't the one who responded to you, and that isn't entirely my theory... =p

The first sentence was my opinion based on the stats. The second part is a theory based on the few videos that have been released. It basically states that the Chaotic Rapier will be used where defense doesn't matter, such as Slayer, while the Chaotic longsword, with its massive slash bonus, (170 with a Rune Defender, Ammy of Glory/Fury, Dragonstone Ring (i), and Barrows Gloves, or 165 excluding the Ring, or even 172 with an Onyx Ring and Fire Cape) will be the best DPS at most bosses.

fair enough :o

btw I kinda edited a little calculation into my previous post.

I don't know if the assumptions I started on are accurate, but I'm fairly confident that they are.

my assumptions were that runescape's accuracy works on a DND dice roll system.

and the numbers rolled for accuracy are calculated in the same way that our max hit is calculated.

if this is true, the chaotic rapier should be equally good as a longsword if the chaotic rapier is only 50% accurate.

(i dont fight bosses so idk how accurate players are on bosses)

we definitely are less than 50% accurate on other players so the longsword > rapier in PVP.

Naaxi.png

Heh. I wasn't the one who responded to you, and that isn't entirely my theory... =p

fair enough :o

btw I kinda edited a little calculation into my previous post.

I don't know if the assumptions I started on are accurate, but I'm fairly confident that they are.

my assumptions were that runescape's accuracy works on a DND dice roll system.

and the numbers rolled for accuracy are calculated in the same way that our max hit is calculated.

if this is true, the chaotic rapier should be equally good as a longsword if the chaotic rapier is only 50% accurate.

(i dont fight bosses so idk how accurate players are on bosses)

we definitely are less than 50% accurate on other players so the longsword > rapier in PVP.

The thing that interests me the most is the Chaotic Maul. It has a massive crush bonus and can hit quite a bit harder that a Godsword. It will likely never be effective for training since the speed of the weapon will hold it back, but it might be excellent in some area of the game. Slash is primarily used in a sizable portion of areas, so you never know.

One thing is for sure: Waterfiends shall cry. =p

Now that I think about it... If it is good enough, it could be a nice increase in charm gathering at waterfiends. Again, just theory based on speculation, but it might be worth while to test.

bc8ebae3b0.png

I prefer longsword because its slower speed makes prayer flashing and attack timing easier. I also don't want to use a stick to kill people.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

i picked the longsword for my first chaotic weapon because of its durability and tends to be more useful on high end monsters. Rapier imo is just the "bigger and badder"

version than the whip. (fast, low accuracy) but superior nonetheless.

anyone saving their tokens for batch 2? :thumbup:

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

anyone saving their tokens for batch 2? :thumbup:

That might be months away; if you have the tokens now, you might as well buy something since you'll be getting tokens much faster once they add more floors.

At TDs I think either rapier or maul would be best.

Why do you think that? The CLS has much higher DPS than the Maul.

Prayer switching?

Chaotic Longsword is like a Vesta's Longsword with no spec, really. Obviously the Chaotic Rapier will deal more dps than the Longsword, but the Long probably has more potential to k0 in pvp. I dunno, I mainly use my Vls with special for the kill.

I've used the CLS at TDS it's awesome and the CLS Is also great for slayer tasks for things like dragons, as having a defender or something in the offhand slot, it's good of you don't have super antifire also, I haven't got a rapier although I could buy one now, I just don't think it's worth my points!

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I'd choose Chaotic Longsword simply because it has a very reasonable attack speed and very nice stats that would be epic for slayer tasks. I suppose Rapier would be good for dragon tasks, but I'd still stick with Chaotic Longsword overall.

2vuhgcn.png

Why not just have them all >_>

Well, that would be the best, but having a priority list of which one to get first isn't too dumb either.

But which one to get first is mainly preference though, a pker would get maul, a monster hunter long, and a slayer rapier first.

This thread may help inform people of the different used of the weapons, and therefore help them with making up their minds :]

Scherzo.png

personaly, im going for long, seeing as im nearly maxed melee. and even tho i love slayer, i just dont see rapier being worth it over long, especially since i do a fair amount of bosshunting.

Also, as another person said, id rather use a sword than a stick to kill stuff.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Rapier or maul.

Whip/Godsword already do slash.

Rapier would be great for dragons, maul would be great on waterfiends.

Personally, I'm sweet on shields more than the weapons.

I can see lots of uses for each one of them, but I'm in no rush to get them since its almost a waste of time now that Jagex announced two more sets of floors coming this year.

That will be like at least 18 more floors and probably 2x to 3x the xp rate.

I'll just finish all the old skills until the update.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Anyone notice how similar this debate is to the Whip + Rune Defender vs Godsword debates?

Knowing how balanced they made everything INSIDE of Daemonheim, I'm fairly sure that, on average, the damage per second is roughly equal...

That said:

The rapier uses stab, and there is less defense against stab than there is against slash, so it might be able to hit more often, even if not as hard...

But the longsword is more powerful, making each blow count...

Training: Rapier

Actual fighting (boss, pvp, quests): Longsword

Unless you can pick both, i'd go with whatever you do more often...

PS: The prospect of being able to wield such a powerful sword combined with a super defensive Dragonfire shield is something I'm willing to sacrifice a little speed for :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!