Dungeoneering

noble_aloof

Hello. I've been playing runescape since slightly before the release of construction. i might not have the skills or the knowledge that many of you have, but i ask that you please read the following rant/observation.

Runescape has always been viewed as a point-and-click fest. quite frankly, it is; however there is much underlying fun to be had. Runescape has many simple, easy to understand skills with tons of guides and support. the bottom line is that every skill comes together beautifully. and each skill can be trained various ways by just pointing and clicking. thats the enjoyment in the game. easy to pick up. easy to put down.

However in the past month jadaflex decided to bring a much, much more complex and involved "skill" into the game: dungeoneering. Dungeons are a mainstay of many "hardcore" mmo games and not only require HOURS of comittment for each completion but also require the cooperation of a sometimes monsterous team of expert players. Jagermiester did manage to add a signature runescape type of spin on the skill: more time to idle, easier play, and smaller dungeons. something went wrong though. this skill is not in harmony with the other skills. it is actually the reverse of a typical skill, and skills brach to IT instead of IT branching to other skills. its worth recognizing the minigame components of the "skill" (n.b.- this is not the main point of the rant).

Heres where dungeoneering really went wrong. jagex took out the pick-up-and-play ability that made runescape so succesful in the first place. don't know what i mean? 10 minutes into a dungeon my mother calls me in for dinner. can i just log off? no. i won't get my bonus exp OR TOKENS. just today i was forced to stop a dungeon prematurely and found myself running back to the computer room to keep myself from logging out every 10 minutes. its unquestionable that i am not alone. and i feel like an imbecile doing it. i refuse to reserve blocks of time to play dungeons. thats not how i've played runescape for the past 4 years. thats not how i plan on playing it.

i've been logged off due to inactivity during at least 7 dunegons in the past two weeks. 6 of them have been solos. one was with someone who i was trying to help out- which leads me to another point. what is jagex thinking with the prestige system? its basically elitism and its against the spirit of runescape. i enjoy helping lower leveled players, but when i get something stupid like 50 exp and 5 tokens- that shows that the system needs to be fixed. i understand that this is a measure to stop "powerleveling"- but jagex should be more worried about incentives for helping lower levels, as its been proven that if people want 99 dungeoneering, they'll get it.

on the mention of incentives. it makes one wonder: what are the incentives of dungeoneering? items. plain and simply items. of course players who care about their total exp will play, but that doesn't count. how many of your skills have you trained just for items that benefit other skills? before i contradict myself realize that you don't get the ability to make items from dungeoneering, you just may perhaps grind enough to buy them.

all in all, you may or may not agree with this whim of a rant. i propose the following fixes to dungeoneering if it is to remain a skill. first off and probably most importantly, make a save function for at least solo dungeons. for the team aspect i propose that players are allowed a 15 minute idle period to stay logged in, however they must have enough _______- like zeal. bring dungeoneering into the actual world. i know this conflicts with slayer, but whose to say jagex cant give us new, dynamic dungeons in special places with future updates. next, keep the prestige system but add a companion system that adds experience or tokens for going into dungeons with lower level players who may need help. my final request is probably what jagex is already working on now: MORE ITEMS. there are those who will live with this skill. but if it is destined to come into harmony with the other skills, it should have many more reward items.

<3 noble aloof

33 dungeoneering

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Hello. I've been playing runescape since slightly before the release of construction. i might not have the skills or the knowledge that many of you have, but i ask that you please read the following rant/observation.

Runescape has always been viewed as a point-and-click fest. quite frankly, it is; however there is much underlying fun to be had. Runescape has many simple, easy to understand skills with tons of guides and support. the bottom line is that every skill comes together beautifully. and each skill can be trained various ways by just pointing and clicking. thats the enjoyment in the game. easy to pick up. easy to put down.

However in the past month jadaflex decided to bring a much, much more complex and involved "skill" into the game: dungeoneering. Dungeons are a mainstay of many "hardcore" mmo games and not only require HOURS of comittment for each completion but also require the cooperation of a sometimes monsterous team of expert players. Jagermiester did manage to add a signature runescape type of spin on the skill: more time to idle, easier play, and smaller dungeons. something went wrong though. this skill is not in harmony with the other skills. it is actually the reverse of a typical skill, and skills brach to IT instead of IT branching to other skills. its worth recognizing the minigame components of the "skill" (n.b.- this is not the main point of the rant).

Heres where dungeoneering really went wrong. jagex took out the pick-up-and-play ability that made runescape so succesful in the first place. don't know what i mean? 10 minutes into a dungeon my mother calls me in for dinner. can i just log off? no. i won't get my bonus exp (regular exp is miniscule). just today i was forced to stop a dungeon prematurely and found myself running back to the computer room to keep myself from logging out every 10 minutes. its unquestionable that i am not alone. and i feel like an imbecile doing it. i refuse to reserve blocks of time to play dungeons. thats not how i've played runescape for the past 4 years. thats not how i plan on playing it.

i've been logged off due to inactivity during at least 7 dunegons in the past two weeks. 6 of them have been solos. one was with someone who i was trying to help out- which leads me to another point. what is jagex thinking with the prestige system? its basically elitism and its against the spirit of runescape. i enjoy helping lower leveled players, but when i get something stupid like 50 exp and 5 tokens- that shows that the system needs to be fixed. i understand that this is a measure to stop "powerleveling"- but jagex should be more worried about incentives for helping lower levels, as its been proven that if people want 99 dungeoneering, they'll get it.

on the mention of incentives. it makes one wonder: what are the incentives of dungeoneering? items. plain and simply items. of course players who care about their total exp will play, but that doesn't count. how many of your skills have you trained just for items that benefit other skills? before i contradict myself realize that you don't get the ability to make items from dungeoneering, you just may perhaps grind enough to buy them.

all in all, you may or may not agree with this whim of a rant. i propose the following fixes to dungeoneering if it is to remain a skill. first off and probably most importantly, make a save function for at least solo dungeons. for the team aspect i propose that players are allowed a 15 minute idle period to stay logged in, however they must have enough _______- like zeal. bring dungeoneering into the actual world. i know this conflicts with slayer, but whose to say jagex cant give us new, dynamic dungeons in special places with future updates. next, keep the prestige system but add a companion system that adds experience or tokens for going into dungeons with lower level players who may need help. my final request is probably what jagex is already working on now: MORE ITEMS. there are those who will live with this skill. but if it is destined to come into harmony with the other skills, it should have many more reward items.

<3 noble aloof

33 dungeoneering

Heh. My mom has become dissatisfied by my decreased support to family endeavors (going to school 3 minutes early, for instance) since the release of dungeoneering.

Runescape isn't just point and click! DIY!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about your incentives thing. Despite your claim that xp is miniscule, you can get decent artisan xp in dungeoneering. And it's way more fun than grinding.

Ummmmmm.....................

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

In any skill, when you stop to log off, then quickly return, do you expect to get as much exp as you would if you had stayed logged in? Except for a few skills..

tl;dr?

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

1. Dungeoneering is a complex and time consuming skill, yes. But it is also one of the few skills I enjoy training alot. And that is something to congratulate Jagex for. =D>

2. Prestige system makes sure that you`ll get more xp the further you go. Low level floors are easy so you`ll get much less. Besides, in lower floors, you`ll still easily get decent amount of xp.

3. Dungeoneering doesnt have nearly as many uses outside daemonheim, other than the rewards. But the rewards are something else. How many skills actually gives you these kinds of items? Besides, the items are extremely useful and there is no real reason not to get them. Also, I have trained few of my skills just to do quests, so there are others too that give no decent rewards (imo).

4. Man, you must be really slow if it takes over an hour for one floor. I could easily solo a dungeon in under half an hour, and that time is when I gather everything.

5. The hell is Jadaflex or Jagermiester?

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I think we all know the answer to that...

Just saying...

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

In any skill, when you stop to log off, then quickly return, do you expect to get as much exp as you would if you had stayed logged in? Except for a few skills..

You don't lose xp you've already gotten..........

1. Dungeoneering is a complex and time consuming skill, yes. But it is also one of the few skills I enjoy training alot. And that is something to congratulate Jagex for. =D>

2. Prestige system makes sure that you`ll get more xp the further you go. Low level floors are easy so you`ll get much less. Besides, in lower floors, you`ll still easily get decent amount of xp.

3. Dungeoneering doesnt have nearly as many uses outside daemonheim, other than the rewards. But the rewards are something else. How many skills actually gives you these kinds of items? Besides, the items are extremely useful and there is no real reason not to get them. Also, I have trained few of my skills just to do quests, so there are others too that give no decent rewards (imo).

4. Man, you must be really slow if it takes over an hour for one floor. I could easily solo a dungeon in under half an hour, and that time is when I gather everything.

As far as 1hr/floor, it means you try to maximize xp/dungeon over xp/hour.

Not much to say.

If you want to find me in Runescape, my name is not applyapple. It is vetoscadiva.

Complain as you like about Jagex, but think about what they've done. How many MMORPG designers go around to creating as complex an in-game world as Jagex? They do need to get around to making a equipable knife, though.

With everyone's complaining about updates, it's amzing that there isn't a forum topic on the fact that the chat box says "You can't reach that" (as opposed to "I can't reach that!").

that isn't quite what i meant. when i'm fletching and i need to go to the bathroom i'll just click what i have to click to get a few bolts fletched. if i come back before my character logs out, cool, but if i don't, i'm not losing out on as much as 1/5 or 1/4 extra exp (i'm only losing out on a few clicks, which i can easily make up for precisely in a short time). its troublesome and if you have choppy playing time it makes for very low exp gains compared to those who are getting the full bonuses (but finishing the dungeons)

and to everyone else, i didn't say that i took hours to do dungeons. i said that that was the case in other mmo's, however jagex sort of dumbed down the whole experience. i have yet to complete a dungeon in under 20 minutes, but some where i obsess over gathering do tend to extend towards the 45 minute range.

edit: applyapple, i would hope to god that your not flaming me.. to the best of my knowledge your the OP of one of the noobiest threads in rants right now

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

that isn't quite what i meant. when i'm fletching and i need to go to the bathroom i'll just click what i have to click to get a few bolts fletched. if i come back before my character logs out, cool, but if i don't, i'm not losing out on as much as 1/5 or 1/4 extra exp (i'm only losing out on a few clicks, which i can easily make up for precisely in a short time). its troublesome and if you have choppy playing time it makes for very low exp gains compared to those who are getting the full bonuses (but finishing the dungeons)

and to everyone else, i didn't say that i took hours to do dungeons. i said that that was the case in other mmo's, however jagex sort of dumbed down the whole experience. i have yet to complete a dungeon in under 20 minutes, but some where i obsess over gathering do tend to extend towards the 45 minute range.

edit: applyapple, i would hope to god that your not flaming me.. to the best of my knowledge your the OP of one of the noobiest threads in rants right now

I am not flaming you. I am just making a point.

And as for my nooby thread, live with it. If you want to judge me on it, judge me on that thread.

Not much to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that you have more fun grinding than exploring and adventuring and stuff like that. You do relise it wasn't Jagex's ambition to make the game a grindfest do you?

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

i agree on the pickup and play aspect of it

i thhink that its kinda odd the token system making u choose between 200k exp/ a reward or making u choose what reward to get 200k tokens for...

i got a rapier and its awesome but it sucks to know that if i want other rewards such as chaotic/eagle eye shield that id need 4m exp ...

maybe they should coost like 20m each or the token requirement.. like have option to recharge w/ cash/tokens.

StarViv.png

A few thoughts...

First, "tl;dr" is a short-hand way of saying "I'm so stupid that I can't read and understand a few simple paragraphs, and so childish that I really think anyone cares about this." Trust me, they don't. If you don't read it, don't post about it either. Nobody wants to hear about your mental limitations. Really.

I think the OP makes some valid points about Dungeoneering. It really *isn't* a skill in the traditional sense -- it doesn't really have any unique abilities that you unlock that can be used to enrich the game as a whole. It's a minigame peg rammed into a skill hole, so to speak.

The partial XP issue is a big one. I can log off during nearly any other skill and lose pretty much nothing. In fact, some skills, like Farming, there's a *benefit* to logging out! Dungeoneering penalizes players who have to leave dungeons by more than it should.

You also get NO tokens on partial dungeons. Even if you kill the boss and then get disconnected before you hit the ladder -- no tokens. There is no valid justification for this.

I think Jagex is working on a solution for solo players. But the token thing should have been fixed already.

The "prestige" system is poorly named. It has nothing to do with elitism, it is just a way to force players to redo all of the floors instead of just doing floor 35 hundreds of times.

I think a longer idle timer when in dungeons is a great idea. It's not like macroing is a risk or anything.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

i agree on the pickup and play aspect of it

i thhink that its kinda odd the token system making u choose between 200k exp/ a reward or making u choose what reward to get 200k tokens for...

i got a rapier and its awesome but it sucks to know that if i want other rewards such as chaotic/eagle eye shield that id need 4m exp ...

maybe they should coost like 20m each or the token requirement.. like have option to recharge w/ cash/tokens.

Heh. By the time you have 2m xp, there's no good reason to pay for more.

Not much to say.

And as for my nooby thread, live with it. If you want to judge me on it, judge me on that thread.

not sure why you would remove a part of your post that supported said 'point'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that you have more fun grinding than exploring and adventuring and stuff like that. You do relise it wasn't Jagex's ambition to make the game a grindfest do you?

no. i clearly, and i stress CLEARLY stated that runescape is a grindfest/clickfest. but i also said that the way jagex has crafted it has made it a fun and enjoyable game. And no, i hope it wasn't their intention. but for the first 24 it certainly turned out that way. making the 25th skill a complete contradiction to the methodical approach to leveling up makes no sense and feels very awkward and abstract while training.

not sure why you would remove a part of your post that supported said 'point'.

no. i clearly, and i stress CLEARLY stated that runescape is a grindfest/clickfest. but i also said that the way jagex has crafted it has made it a fun and enjoyable game. And no, i hope it wasn't their intention. but for the first 24 it certainly turned out that way. making the 25th skill a complete contradiction to the methodical approach to leveling up makes no sense and feels very awkward and abstract while training.

Dungeoneering has its methodical side.

It's just not a "clickfest skill."

When did I remove it?

Not much to say.

But what is so fun to grinding? I much prefer an adventure-style content. Correct me again if I misunderstood you again.

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

just whitescreened at the rewards screen after completing a dungeon -.-

Hate Dungeoneering. hate hate hate it. I was duoing with my friend, and because I have high non combat skills, I had to do EVERY single puzzle. And he still stole all the armor, and food. And so I'd get to the boss with like my gorg spear and like a kata chain. And die 3-4 times killing boss while he didn't die once. [bleep]ing pitiful.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Hate Dungeoneering. hate hate hate it. I was duoing with my friend, and because I have high non combat skills, I had to do EVERY single puzzle. And he still stole all the armor, and food. And so I'd get to the boss with like my gorg spear and like a kata chain. And die 3-4 times killing boss while he didn't die once. [bleep]ing pitiful.

heres a funny story. when i was level 7 dung i was HELPING my nooby friend who was level 5 dung. we were at it for seriously 45 minutes (i was doing all the work since he's horrible). we get to a room with some type of level 100+ warrior, i kill it. he runs over and spam clicks all the drops. among them, i see a gorg full helm. i say "hey could i have that helmet? its perfect for my 80 defense". he says "you wouldn't give it to me if you got it" i say "yeah thats cause your 56 defense". i say "seriously, i'm really helping you level here, could i please have it?" he says "no i binded it, im going to get 80 defense". i leave the dungeon. next day he destroys it. obviously at that time i wouldn't have binded it, but if i could bind two items i probably would have.

But what is so fun to grinding? I much prefer an adventure-style content. Correct me again if I misunderstood you again.

There's nothing so fun to grinding.

Not much to say.

There should really be a ban skilling option for leaders.

Yes, skillers are currently dominating the dungeons while the combat-oriented people suffer.

<_<

There is a ban skilling option. It's called complexity 1.

Not much to say.

heres another funny experience. i was doing a 5 man dungeon but after the first one a guy decided to leave. there was me, a level 99, a level 131, 92, and 97.

so we start, i notice the 131 and i are the only ones moving. about 5 rooms in the 97 catches up saying "sorry i was afk"

he was afk for over 30 minutes collectively in the dungeon.

as we continue, the 92 starts playing for about maybe 10 minutes. we are confused because we need a door opened and we can't find the key. 10 minutes later, lo and behold the 97 comes back and says "oh sorry" and opens the door. it leads to a room with 5 guys. you would think he at least came in? nope. i had to solo the entire room. when there were 3 monsters left the 131 came in (completely naked) and hid in a corner saying "I HAVE NO PRAY!!".

so with little help from him (and even less from the 97) i continue basically soloing a 4 man dungeon.

finally i get to a level 397 lexicus runewright. "boss here" i said. magically they all come bounding over to the door. then i tell them range is the obvious way to go (im the only ranger) so the 92 and 97 go and decide to fletch bows for themselves while the big strong level 131 goes in and starts spamming "Help help help help help help". so i went in. the 131 quickly died and i once again had to solo him (took off agbout 1/5 exp before anyone came in). finally they all come in and the 92 and 97 have terrible bows, the 131 is still meleeing. together we take off about 35% of the health until they all start dieing again. this time i decided to go hide in a corner while i waited. yet, nobody came besides the 131. so he got some big hits and we got him down to a sliver when, oops, the naked 131 dies. i was out of food and prayer so i just had a dm with lexicus and as i fell over in death my last arrow hit him and he died aswell.

when i go back to home they all ask "dead? dead? dead?"

"no thanks to you" i say

the 92 quickchats "i have 4 defense"

thank you that was really helpful -.-

i tell the 131 that it wasnt smart going naked

he says he didnt need it

maybe thats why he died 4 times.

oh and the best part, the level 97 gets a t11 mage hood from the boss.