Runescape Reboot

NukeMarine

**Edit: Here's a TL:DR cleared up version of the post based on the replies**

Jagex could offer a few servers that are sort of a "Second World of Runescape" where member accounts can create a brand new character (similar to how a new character on RSC servers are done now). These servers are self contained so will have its own Grand Exchange, High Scores lists and no free to play or eight years of impact on the server economy. These servers will be updated with the same RS updates, just two weeks later (Beta Phase).

**End TL:DR**

This is not necessarily a mental exercise. This is something Jagex might consider in the future. The thought came about when considering Classic Runescape Server, the BH and PvP Servers, and the Dungeoneering game (a mini RS in some ways). The idea was: So what if Jagex created a server (or servers) where only new member characters can play on? The servers would be closed off just like the Classic RS server is in that your character cannot go to a regular Runescape server (you can chat with other servers though). It'd have Grand Exchange but even that would only trade with other closed off servers.

That in itself sounds likely. I can imagine if that were all, that many would create fresh characters and try their hands at this virgin world as it were. However, if Jagex bothered to do such a thing, would they change up how the game is played? Do you need to keep certain game mechanics the same on a Runescape server that has no characters that were around during Classic?

So here are some questions:

1. What do you think of the idea of a Runescape Blank Slate server?

2. What would you change about how Runescape is played on such a server (skills, NPC's, locations, quest, rewards, combat, etc.)

Personally, I would love to see the game mechanics on such a server radically altered (ex: Protection prayers require 70+ prayer level and only protect 1/2 damage from NPC's, etc.). However, that means such a server cannot be updated with new Runescape content easily.

**EDIT: I deleted a list of suggested changes as it distracted from the main discussion of Fresh Servers, so that's what some replies are talking about**

Here's some points made and suggested:

1. If you have a member account, then you can make a new character on Runescape: New World (maybe limit to accounts 6 months or older at first).

2. The trade limit for your character is based on whichever of your characters on that account has the highest quest points.

3. The New World will have it's own High Scores screen and Grand Exchange prices based on the economy of those servers only.

4. The New World servers are updated two weeks after the normal servers get an update (yep, the regular servers become the beta test for the New World servers).

5. If your character on the original servers have untradeable holiday items (Bunny Ears, Yo-Yo's, Chicken Suit, etc) then your fresh character on the same account gets access to them. No, the 'rares' will not be making a comeback as a tradeable commodity.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem rather pointless for this to happen anytime soon. If the sort of fundamental changes to the game you suggested were going to be implemented it would be more similar to a "Runescape 3" transition. But, seeing as Jagex seems to want to just evolve the current engine and game that scenario is not likely.

Also, most of the changes you suggested would only annoy people and don't really sound like things that need to be changed. It may be that a new release of Runescape may come about that would have that "Blank Slate" feel based on what the devs think would be beneficial to the game, but it certainly would not be just for kicks- it would be a further evolution of the game and would be supported as such. I don't see anything like this happening for a few years however.

iximi.png

This discussion is about a Runescape server, not an upgrade ala Classic to RS2. Any changes done to Runescape (quests, skills, areas) would also be done to that new account server. It could not and would never be about a RS3 transition. A transition means you bring all the baggage from RS2 and RS Classic (Rares, economic busters, established in game wealth, outdated or overpowered items) that's built up over the last 8 years. Runescape is how it is in part because it's accounting for things that were done eight years ago without the benefit of hindsight. Another part is things would be done differently back then if the technology existed back then to let it happen (greater server memory, stable programming code, etc).

As for the changes I suggested, that's the point of this discussion. There's lots of things wrong with Runescape that cannot be cured without a blank slate. Obviously, Jagex is not going to destroy it's user base by bank and stat wiping everyone. A blank slate server though is possible and open to those that are willing to pay for a new account to use it. If you have a blank slate, what changes do think should be made to the benefit of gameplay?

If you think about it, Dungeoneering is a small example of this. You go into that mini-game/skill only with your skills and nothing else. As such, Jagex was able to tweak the combat triangle in addition to armor, weapons and other items because it didn't have to worry about the impact on PvP or how it affected teleporting in level 30 wilderness. The idea of a blank slate server is just logical extension of that idea. I honestly think there are RS members that would purchase a new account to try out such a world where aspects of F2P and remnants of RS Classic and 8 years of RS is not a factor.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

I love this idea. As long as the servers were completely separate from the current ones, I would love to try this myself. It somewhat reminds me of my RSC days.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I think freshman servers would be an instant success. There'd need to be servers for both f2p and p2p players. Would be nice to see how the economy would build up from scratch and what the community would be like, everybody being a newb again.

Maybe they could even release new tradeable discontinued items on those servers :grin:

I hardly think they'd ever do it though.

Hah, and tell me where would you get your armour, runes, food, usefull items such as glories, furies, teleport tabs etc. from in a world full of low leveled member's accounts with an isolated Grand Exchange?

Personally I think the changes you want to make to the game fix nothing that is broken, only make the game harder ( way to go, scaring away new members!) which isn't what any of us are waiting for. Your combat level isn't calculated exponentially because the amount of damage you can cause/can block is based on levels instead of experience. Making it exponential would fit a big load of levels within one combat level bringing the whole system out of whack.

Why would you want to bring crafting more in line with smithing? they're two totally different skills.

How does not being able to alch stackable items (such as noted items) help anyone enjoy the game more? It just makes us people cry for a solution ( I.E. being able to alch stackable items).

I could go on but I think you catch my drift, I'd rather stick to the existing Runescape. Closed off servers for low leveled members are fine but not for your reason of being able to start over with a clean slate. Servers for low level members offers them a chance to compete over resources instead of the next player with a rune pickaxe beating him to it.

Another problem can be found in the dertemination of 'low-level member'. Are free to players with low member's skills but high free to play skills still considered low-level members? That line can be very hard to distinguish.

All I think that Jagex can make something beautiful out of this. Your suggested changes are not what I think is what the player community is looking for, rather than a step back in time when the game was annoying and you had to trade all items like bowstrings inventory by inventory. Back when people played for the community.

That actually would be a nice addition to the way the game works. I remember when I was lower leveled, I wanted to be around people of the same level (unless they wanted to challenge me for a dm in the wilderness...). It allows newer players that choice.

j0xPu5R.png

Such closed off servers would fail, horribly, especially with the suggestions you've put forth.

"Hey, let's break the game and make it a dozen times more cumbersome to play, and then expect people to start from scratch!"

Those servers would be about as dead as Runescape Classic.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Guys, don't get too distracted by my suggestions. That's just a wild hair to go along with the idea of a closed off RS server where there's no F2P or 8 years worth of material thrown into the economy. As such, suggestions reflect what I thought would have worked with RS if it had happened early on.

Hah, and tell me where would you get your armour, runes, food, usefull items such as glories, furies, teleport tabs etc. from in a world full of low leveled member's accounts with an isolated Grand Exchange?

Well, I guess you'd either have to make them, buy them or trade for them yourself just like you would in any MMORPG. All those items weren't magically there at the beginning all those years ago, so they can make a come back. It'll just be that items you found as easier to buy than to get (essense) all of a sudden might be better to collect yourself.

Personally I think the changes you want to make to the game fix nothing that is broken, only make the game harder ( way to go, scaring away new members!) which isn't what any of us are waiting for. Your combat level isn't calculated exponentially because the amount of damage you can cause/can block is based on levels instead of experience. Making it exponential would fit a big load of levels within one combat level bringing the whole system out of whack.

That's the beauty, if such a server exists nothing is broken because all the other RS servers exist. That's why PvP servers had minimal impact on other servers (aside from all the gp being dumped into the economy). New members can just play on a normal server which allows world hopping.

As for the combat level being exponential, there's a reason behind that idea. Your current combat level represents only what you are if you carry ZERO items. A level 138 with nothing else will trounce a level 100. Now, give the level 100 armor, weapons and food and the results flip flop. So in part, your true combat level is based on what you are wielding and not your base stats. Second, your base stats determine what you can wear, but that only happens in multiples of 10. A person with 69 in all their stats wielding max armor MIGHT beat a person with only 60's in all stats wearing same equipment. HOWEVER, that first person gets 70 then they get access to MUCH better equipment allowing him to devastate the player limited only to Dragon/Obsidian weapons. Ok, this is more an argument for another discussion about the combat system, but I think there is merit to an exponential based combat level.

Why would you want to bring crafting more in line with smithing? they're two totally different skills.

Because smithing is limited to a level 40 item (Runite) while Crafting allows players to make up to a level 70 armor (black dragonhide). Around 2004 before the barrows, that made Range the top dog in the combat triangle, on top of a level 50 weapon Magic Shortbow with special that took only 35%. Now, I'm all for players being able to make high level weapons and armor (see my thread about combo-skills) however that was and still is an unbalance after effect.

How does not being able to alch stackable items (such as noted items) help anyone enjoy the game more? It just makes us people cry for a solution ( I.E. being able to alch stackable items).

Because it throws too much money into the economy is all. Personally, I'd rather alchemy had not existed at all. However, if Jagex had had two magic skills (support and combat based) then we would have players becoming magic killing machines by killing stuff. For now, players can become magical warriors by turning paper into coins and teleporting in front of Camelot.

I could go on but I think you catch my drift, I'd rather stick to the existing Runescape. Closed off servers for low leveled members are fine but not for your reason of being able to start over with a clean slate. Servers for low level members offers them a chance to compete over resources instead of the next player with a rune pickaxe beating him to it.

Another problem can be found in the dertemination of 'low-level member'. Are free to players with low member's skills but high free to play skills still considered low-level members? That line can be very hard to distinguish.

All I think that Jagex can make something beautiful out of this. Your suggested changes are not what I think is what the player community is looking for, rather than a step back in time when the game was annoying and you had to trade all items like bowstrings inventory by inventory. Back when people played for the community.

It's a NEW account (no XP, no items, no nothing) on a closed off MEMBER's server. That account CANNOT travel to normal RS server. You give up membership then you cannot play that account. This is not a new idea, as RS Classic is now members only IIRC. Now, how should it be approached? Is it a benefit of having a member's account that you can create one new account on this RS Blank Slate server? Is it a new account all in itself? I'm more for it being a unique account (ie you pay for it) only to test the financial feasibility of rebooting RS on a larger scale. If you get enough players that enjoy such a server, then there's no reason to not expand it. However, that means a smaller user base which hurts the MMORPG aspect.

Again, don't get distracted by my suggestions. That's all they are. The main point is would a Rebooted server be a viable idea. As such, what else can be changed to make the game more enjoyable on such a server.

nukemarine.png

Such closed off servers would fail, horribly, especially with the suggestions you've put forth.

"Hey, let's break the game and make it a dozen times more cumbersome to play, and then expect people to start from scratch!"

Those servers would be about as dead as Runescape Classic.

That's a reasonable statement. You have a server with no access to all the stuff easy to get on normal servers. In a way, it is like the RS Classic server as to get an account on that you start with fresh stats and inventory. Plus, yes, I think some things would be changed to be more cumbersome (the high alc for example). Again, it's like being relegated to trying to level in RS Classic with only a Runepick when you've gotten used to a Dragon Pick.

However, I don't think it would be as dead as RS Classic. Remember, it's still Runescape so it'll get updated every time Runescape is updated. That right there changes the palatability of the idea. Players start new MEMBERS accounts all the time trying to play RS in a different manner (skillers, pures, RPG's, whatever) so I think there's no doubt that players would play on a Blank Slate server.

Downside to all this is that in a year, then such servers would have built up internal economies and own issues developing. Still, I like the idea and I bet others would love it.

nukemarine.png

That's a reasonable statement. You have a server with no access to all the stuff easy to get on normal servers. In a way, it is like the RS Classic server as to get an account on that you start with fresh stats and inventory. Plus, yes, I think some things would be changed to be more cumbersome (the high alc for example). Again, it's like being relegated to trying to level in RS Classic with only a Runepick when you've gotten used to a Dragon Pick.

However, I don't think it would be as dead as RS Classic. Remember, it's still Runescape so it'll get updated every time Runescape is updated. That right there changes the palatability of the idea. Players start new MEMBERS accounts all the time trying to play RS in a different manner (skillers, pures, RPG's, whatever) so I think there's no doubt that players would play on a Blank Slate server.

Downside to all this is that in a year, then such servers would have built up internal economies and own issues developing. Still, I like the idea and I bet others would love it.

Everquest is the only MMO that comes to mind immediately that has attempted special rules servers outside of your PvE, PvP, and RP models, and all of those servers were shut down apart from the 51/50 server (immediate level 51 with 50 AA points).

As far as I'm aware, SOE is "considering" alternate rule servers for Everquest 2, but if Everquest is any indication, those servers have a habit of existing for around 1-2 years before shutting down and merging due to low population.

I should point out that with Everquest, with the exception of the Legends server, players were still paying the regular subscription price.

The biggest reason I'm against this is because it would take Jagex twice as long to develop, since they'll be developing for essentially two or more games. Think about it, with these alternate rule servers you would essentially have to code and balance once for every alternate server, to make sure that the code does not conflict with each version, and that the weapon/armor/item is not overpowered/underpowered.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Everquest is the only MMO that comes to mind immediately that has attempted special rules servers outside of your PvE, PvP, and RP models, and all of those servers were shut down apart from the 51/50 server (immediate level 51 with 50 AA points).

As far as I'm aware, SOE is "considering" alternate rule servers for Everquest 2, but if Everquest is any indication, those servers have a habit of existing for around 1-2 years before shutting down and merging due to low population.

I should point out that with Everquest, with the exception of the Legends server, players were still paying the regular subscription price.

The biggest reason I'm against this is because it would take Jagex twice as long to develop, since they'll be developing for essentially two or more games. Think about it, with these alternate rule servers you would essentially have to code and balance once for every alternate server, to make sure that the code does not conflict with each version, and that the weapon/armor/item is not overpowered/underpowered.

The MMO I was thinking about was Ultima Online myself. There you had isolated worlds where the economy and players on one server had no impact on another server. That was an extreme situation and one I did not like, which is ironic as this discussion simulates that very idea in a way. However, it'd be an isolated world where there can be more than one server attached to it (based on player load).

So let's step back one step. What if it was just an isolated world where to play on it you had to start with a fresh character? Everything else about it is a RS server except there's no F2P and the Grand Exchanged is closed off to only the same world's server? It's still your account just that it's a different character (same name, different stats and equipment) like your RS Classic character is kept separate. Would such a group of servers be feasible and profitable?

The other point you bring up is extremely important. I agree that if Jagex has to divide resources to upkeep two parallel worlds then it's not worth it. However, my question still is if Jagex can implement changes to this new world and still allow for parallel updating, what are some reasonable changes to implement on such a world. I offered up some of my ideas but really it boils down to

1. No changes - Just a new RS server closed off world that updates parallel to regular RS

2. Some changes - A few tweaks to take advangtage of a new world, and still updates parallel to regular RS with minimal fuss.

3. Major changes - Major tweaks to the entire gaming mechanic that means divided efforts in developing any update.

Personally I'm for choice number 2, though number 1 would still be extremely popular to many members playing RS. In fact, choice number 1 could happen in almost no time at all. Choice 3 is something that will not happen as Jagex might as put all that effort to creating a new game.

Also, thanks for the intelligent dissent. Ideas cannot be developed without reasonable critique to smooth out problems.

PS: In the long term, should such an idea prove very popular, Jagex can slowly introduce new isolated Worlds (once every 3 years for example) which can give not only to new members but guys that would like to see what a fresh start a chance to see what it's like on a fresh world.

nukemarine.png

The MMO I was thinking about was Ultima Online myself. There you had isolated worlds where the economy and players on one server had no impact on another server. That was an extreme situation and one I did not like, which is ironic as this discussion simulates that very idea in a way. However, it'd be an isolated world where there can be more than one server attached to it (based on player load).

Runescape is one of the few MMOs that allows you to swap your character between servers. The reason other MMOs charge you to move from server to server is because, as you pointed out, each server has its own economy and moving items from server to server freely would genuinely screw up each game's economy, so the developers want to steer players away from making it a habit.

The major difference between Runescape and other MMOs is that other MMOs are massive in size, whereas when Runescape gets close to the 2000 player limit, much of the map hotspots become packed to the brim. For Runescape, having cross-server change is not only necessary, it is mandatory. Otherwise, just think of how many people would quit when their otherwise low-end server was suddenly full constantly. It only takes 2,000 people to fill a server, and there are often more than 100,000 playing at any given time.

So let's step back one step. What if it was just an isolated world where to play on it you had to start with a fresh character? Everything else about it is a RS server except there's no F2P and the Grand Exchanged is closed off to only the same world's server? It's still your account just that it's a different character (same name, different stats and equipment) like your RS Classic character is kept separate. Would such a group of servers be feasible and profitable?

If you made it exactly the same, then I would hope the rule against multi-logging would not apply to separate Runescape "worlds," but I would actually give it a shot with a new character. If Jagex allowed you to create a new character, similar to Runescape classic, it would have much more success than requiring a new subscription. I think you would see a lot of guilds move over, as well as power-levelers trying to make a name for themselves. I obviously can't say for certain that it would be feasible or profitable, because this has never been done before in the setting that Runescape has with its servers.

The server would be restricted pretty much to those who want a smaller, closer community, which is exactly what they will get.

The other point you bring up is extremely important. I agree that if Jagex has to divide resources to upkeep two parallel worlds then it's not worth it. However, my question still is if Jagex can implement changes to this new world and still allow for parallel updating, what are some reasonable changes to implement on such a world. I offered up some of my ideas but really it boils down to

1. No changes - Just a new RS server closed off world that updates parallel to regular RS

2. Some changes - A few tweaks to take advangtage of a new world, and still updates parallel to regular RS with minimal fuss.

3. Major changes - Major tweaks to the entire gaming mechanic that means divided efforts in developing any update.

Personally I'm for choice number 2, though number 1 would still be extremely popular to many members playing RS. In fact, choice number 1 could happen in almost no time at all. Choice 3 is something that will not happen as Jagex might as put all that effort to creating a new game.

If Jagex could feasibly handle it without delaying updates, I would like to see an alternate "world," and might even level an alt in it.

Also, thanks for the intelligent dissent. Ideas cannot be developed without reasonable critique to smooth out problems.

A pleasant change from "omg ur a troll"

PS: In the long term, should such an idea prove very popular, Jagex can slowly introduce new isolated Worlds (once every 3 years for example) which can give not only to new members but guys that would like to see what a fresh start a chance to see what it's like on a fresh world.

Yes.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Omali, thanks for the reply.

I edited the first post with a TL:DR, and added a new thought. If such servers existed, Jagex could update them with two week lag. Essentially turns the normal Runescape into a million player beta test so all players on the Second World servers would have a relatively bug free update (in addition to having two weeks to prepare for it). Heck, they can even be told the exact date and time since surprise is not a factor. The reaction to such prior knowledge on the second world (economy impacts, playing patterns) could help Jagex decide if a "beta server" could be created for update testing. Would make players like Qeltar happy to be sure.

nukemarine.png

I may be revealing my age here but when I played Diablo II it had a Ladder mode that reset every season. The point was to see who could get to 99 fastest. It was seperate from the other servers (no trading with non-Ladder characters). Lots of people no lifed just to get a screen shot of their name at the top :rolleyes:

People will play just to see their name at the top. Maybe they should give an incentive, like World of Warcraft, where the first person to 99 something gets a permanent title ("Master Crafter Usernamehere" etc) or maybe a special colour trim to the skillcape. There's a lot of achivements they could do for non skillers as well (first to kill all GWD bosses, top bounty hunter, etc).

I think you might've given Jagex another million dollar idea ;)

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

I may be revealing my age here but when I played Diablo II it had a Ladder mode that reset every season. The point was to see who could get to 99 fastest. It was seperate from the other servers (no trading with non-Ladder characters). Lots of people no lifed just to get a screen shot of their name at the top :rolleyes:

People will play just to see their name at the top. Maybe they should give an incentive, like World of Warcraft, where the first person to 99 something gets a permanent title ("Master Crafter Usernamehere" etc) or maybe a special colour trim to the skillcape. There's a lot of achivements they could do for non skillers as well (first to kill all GWD bosses, top bounty hunter, etc).

I think you might've given Jagex another million dollar idea ;)

I never played Diablo, but I can see your point. In fact, I think it was realizing there are thousands of players on the current high scores that just don't play anymore yet still impact the rankings. Hell, I once suggested that there should not only be a "member's high score" for the skills that are also F2P, but a "Active player's" high score where only players that played within the last six months are listed. Truth be told, I'm more interested in how the economy would develop on such a world where you don't have all the resources being gathered by F2P accounts. I'd think that getting a reasonably high level on such a world would merit greater respect as you do have to depend much more on your own abilities.

The more I think about it, the it seems Jagex should do this. Turn about 5 servers into a closed off world. As time and popularity and use goes on, add more servers including PvP and Bounty Hunters. For "theme worlds" maybe let one server represent multiple themes. Much later, should this second world become a force of nature in its own right, create a third world like I posted about above. To help stem the tide of new character accounts, Jagex could even limit these servers to member accounts that are at least 6 months old then slowly ease that restriction to be any member account.

nukemarine.png

One problem would be until enough people start using that server, and got high enough stats, that things would be hard to get a hold of. 1m R2H again?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I'd try out no trade, DIY worlds with their own high scores.

But, more than likely I would just stick to this one because frankly after the novelty wears off your new character, then you realize the insane amount of work you have to put into it to equal your main.

Or at least in my case. :)

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

They considered something similar in considering private servers, but they decided against it for marketing reasons. They make plenty as it is.

Not quite, that was for selling servers for RSC with options of game play open to the administrators. Don't know if that was completely dropped but I never heard anything past the developer's blog. The idea of a Runescape New World of course could only be done by Jagex as it's the RS regular game, and will need to be updated regularly and be attached to player accounts.

Saying they make plenty as is is not a good rebuttal against nor a good argument for. Profit will be a motive, but it should not stand fully in the way of a good idea nor allow for a bad idea. Something tells me though that such an idea is not only a good idea, but will be profitable also. There are attractive points to older and younger accounts. Again, the most attractive to older accounts is the idea of a fresh world where strong knowledge of game mechanics give you the upper hand. On the current economy, a strong bank says more about who gets the upper hand. In addition, a new account may like the idea of being on close to even footing to those who've had accounts for 3 to 8 years.

None of what you said seems necessary.

You got to give me more to work with if you expect a lucid reply to your post. I can't even tell if you were replying to me or someone else.

nukemarine.png

Well I think this is a good idea.. What I start to "dislike" about runescape is that I just can't really play much. Meaning I am lagging more and more behind on the "average" runescape player... And thus "have to" stick to boring parts.. (I was an avid GWD hunter... but about half a year after it came out I stopped playing for more than 1 hour a week - now I just can't ever catch up again: prices of materials grow faster than I can make money yet everyone expects me to have these).

Resetting runescape would put me for the time being on "almost" equal grounds, and give me time to "catch up" again.

For me it would thus give a lot of motivation to play (and pay) runescape!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Well I think this is a good idea.. What I start to "dislike" about runescape is that I just can't really play much. Meaning I am lagging more and more behind on the "average" runescape player... And thus "have to" stick to boring parts.. (I was an avid GWD hunter... but about half a year after it came out I stopped playing for more than 1 hour a week - now I just can't ever catch up again: prices of materials grow faster than I can make money yet everyone expects me to have these).

Resetting runescape would put me for the time being on "almost" equal grounds, and give me time to "catch up" again.

For me it would thus give a lot of motivation to play (and pay) runescape!

Here's some other food for thought. Without the slave labor we call F2P, all the production resources on a Fresh Server (yes, I keep changing the terms for a new server) will draw a higher value. That means EVERY new player on the server is a valuable commodity that can demand a reasonable price for iron, essence, logs, maples, fish, etc. The easiest version is compare essence to pure essence. One needs membership to enter the system so it calls a much higher price. Now, that means getting 99 in some skill is not as easy as gathering cash. There'll likely not be enough material harvested in the system to get anyone to 99 in any skill for quite a while. The benefits of low level producers (members starting out) will be better on new servers than old as you point out.

So yeah, it'll be a more stable economy even if they leave in high alchemy. Actually, that only became a problem thanks to bots doing essence runs and harvesting yews (dumped massive amounts of GP into the system).

nukemarine.png

I suggested such a thing a few years back now myself. I would love to see a new set of brand new servers, where your character is separate from that on the normal servers.

I think it would be very interesting just seeing how the economy builds up and just to see how different everything would be to "normal" RS.

I don't think any changes to the game would be a good idea, at least nothing major. Maybe one or two things in regards to resources but that'd just make the game harder to update in line with the normal game.

I would love it and play the heck out of it, I don't imagine it'd be too hard to implement either. Shame I don't see this ever happening though.

I suggested such a thing a few years back now myself. I would love to see a new set of brand new servers, where your character is separate from that on the normal servers.

I think it would be very interesting just seeing how the economy builds up and just to see how different everything would be to "normal" RS.

I don't think any changes to the game would be a good idea, at least nothing major. Maybe one or two things in regards to resources but that'd just make the game harder to update in line with the normal game.

I would love it and play the heck out of it, I don't imagine it'd be too hard to implement either. Shame I don't see this ever happening though.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize little to no changes are best. I edited my first post to reflect that. There'll still be some problems on such new servers. For example, Construction would be a messed up skill just because all the prices were based a high GP economy. Still, even that's reasonable as it'll be an early money sink.

nukemarine.png