Runescape Reboot

NukeMarine

It would be amazingly fun. I'd also love a new name databse to go with it.. or hell just give me the name Derek and I'll get off your back Jagex :grin:

I would have more fun with this than I currently do in Runescape. I'd even pay more for a fresh new slate. :thumbup:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh, how many players per server are we looking at here?

Because let's face it. If there are only 2000 people aloud in a closed off server, there's going to be a severe limit on high level items. Whips, and stuff like that, that requires high stats to get ahold of would be ungodly expensive. And non of them would enter the economy till months after the server boots.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Uhhh, how many players per server are we looking at here?

Because let's face it. If there are only 2000 people aloud in a closed off server, there's going to be a severe limit on high level items. Whips, and stuff like that, that requires high stats to get ahold of would be ungodly expensive. And non of them would enter the economy till months after the server boots.

That's an administrative issue. I'm sure, like anything else, that as more players play on such servers Jagex would dedicate more servers to the issue. No more complicated than when Jagex would add another PvP or BH server based on how many players utilize that aspect of the game.

As for high level items, that gets complicated and cannot be predicated with certainty. Let's say 50,000 players decide to devote a large amount of their playing time on a fresh server. It'll still few weeks or months to get the base skills up high enough to start getting high level monster drop weapons (barrows, whips, god swords, dragon weaps, etc). It's not like RSC where the only source of a high level weapon was the guy with 99 smithing making an R2H. In RS now, getting level 40 weapons and armor are rewards from quests. Level 60 weapons (dragon and obsidian) can be bought or dropped. Some level 70 items like barrows, could enter the game the first week just due to players being familiar with that mini-game, while the whip will take over a month or two to come out.

Then comes what type of "expensive" is it going to be. You won't have trillions of gp flowing into the game like on regular RS. There's no F2P slave support gathering yews and ore cheaply. There'll be no 92 RC creating a nature running market for quite a while. So a million gp on a fresh server would be like 100 million on the normal servers. Again, there's no way to predict the final economic results. However, it'll be fun to get there. Some things will not be as popular such Manage thy Kingdom because that's closely tied to the economy of another world. Other things become popular again (mining for example) because an 85 mining is now a unique quality in the early months of such a server.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Question with such a server, what do you do about buyable rares? Do you leave them out completely and make them unobtainable? Or make them untradable but obtainable through a shop or something. Would be really interesting to see what effect each of those would have on the economy.

I don't think people would go for 85 mining or 98 smithing just to get rich by making runite items. Slayer drops and clue rewards are much easier sources for low lvl armor and runite items.

Racing to lvl 40 or 60 attack when adamant and rune weapons are scarce.. such servers would definitely interest me.

Question with such a server, what do you do about buyable rares? Do you leave them out completely and make them unobtainable? Or make them untradable but obtainable through a shop or something. Would be really interesting to see what effect each of those would have on the economy.

Well, there would be no discontinued items on such a server as none of the characters would have been around for the Christmas events all those years ago. There'll be no bunny ears, yo-yos, zombie heads, etc. either I guess.

You know, thinking on that, although there won't be discontinued items there should be no reason for Jagex to give your character access to holiday untradeables if your RS character on the normal server also has it. It is all the same account anyway and has minimal impact on game play. Be a way to show you have an old account even though it's on a fresh character. I'll add that to the first post.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy

Well, there would be no discontinued items on such a server as none of the characters would have been around for the Christmas events all those years ago. There'll be no bunny ears, yo-yos, zombie heads, etc. either I guess.

You know, thinking on that, although there won't be discontinued items there should be no reason for Jagex to give your character access to holiday untradeables if your RS character on the normal server also has it. It is all the same account anyway and has minimal impact on game play. Be a way to show you have an old account even though it's on a fresh character. I'll add that to the first post.

My main point was that such items have a major effect on the economy would be interesting to see what would happen if they were obtainable elsewhere and thus not "rare" or something.

My main point was that such items have a major effect on the economy would be interesting to see what would happen if they were obtainable elsewhere and thus not "rare" or something.

About as much impact on the economy as Toy Horses and the Flying Dragon Kite you can buy from Diango ie no impact what so ever. Now, Jagex could offer these up to players with accounts that were active at that time in RSC history as an untradeble purchase from Diango, but I think it's best to keep tradeable discontinued items out of a new server economy.

nukemarine.png

I see the problems of this being a lot of people will refuse to start over again. Also being segregated from other servers might be an issue because a lot of mini games require hundreds of people to run smoothly. If they dont have a dedicated server there wont be enough demand on these servers.

It was addressed, in that each server can have multiple "theme worlds" attached to it instead of just one. Useful in the beginning when the player activity count is lower.

If there is one change I would like see done, it's the way our "level" is displayed. Instead of a combat level (which reflects just 7 or 8 skills) have it show 1/10th of our total skill level. That in turn reflects more fairly how much experience that character has in the game. It's an old suggestion, but more viable on a group of servers that'll be more PvE than PvP in earlier days.

nukemarine.png

Well....they don't HAVE to play on these other worlds, so I don't see how it would affect them much.

What would really make it interesting is if they took the chance to rework the existing game they have now to bring it more into balance under the premise that a new server wouldn't have the same heavy shackles and baggage that the "old day's" standards have bound us to. Then in a few months we would find out if all of Runescape could be changed to survive in today's gaming environment without people thinking that it would be ruined forever. Then we can get the heck outta the stone age.

What I'm trying to say is that I wish I didn't have to keep hiding the fact that I play this game and consider it to have some potential rather than something you do as a kid and then completely forget about it in middle school and make fun of for the rest of your life should it ever come up.

You know, like Neopets.

Except that I actually stopped playing that and it's dead to me.

8f14270694.jpg

The thing is, if my current account was lost to me for some reason, (hacked, banned, etc.) then I would MUCH rather start on a new server, where everyone else is a noob too :P, then start over as this game currently in. Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

What would really make it interesting is if they took the chance to rework the existing game they have now to bring it more into balance under the premise that a new server wouldn't have the same heavy shackles and baggage that the "old day's" standards have bound us to. Then in a few months we would find out if all of Runescape could be changed to survive in today's gaming environment without people thinking that it would be ruined forever. Then we can get the heck outta the stone age.

What I'm trying to say is that I wish I didn't have to keep hiding the fact that I play this game and consider it to have some potential rather than something you do as a kid and then completely forget about it in middle school and make fun of for the rest of your life should it ever come up.

That's the Catch-22. Many, many problems with updating the game stem from balancing issues that came about from how the game was played over 8 years. Problem is, to fix that fairly, you'd have to have everyone start fresh. Well, do that and you destroy a large paying user base.

On the other hand, imagine these new servers gaining such popularity that Jagex dedicates more servers to it than to Runescape Proper. That feeds to your idea that Jagex can create a RS3 type server that has a complete overhaul, be the one that's updated and create a user base before slowly phasing out Runescape Proper and Runescape Reboot without losing customers.

What I REALLY hope is that Jagex doesn't look at the low player participation on "RSC" and think that removes justification of trying something like this. There's a difference between a game that hasn't been updated in 6 years and one that can be updated along side Runescape Proper.

nukemarine.png

Its a fun idea, but realisticly, it would be just like the start of rsc, and the evolution of the economy would be similar. All out effort to get to 99 smithing to sell 'new' r2h's for 1m+. I like the idea because all the current members of runescape would be able to witness the evolution of how our economy came to be. It would give a chance for players that havnt been around for years to have a 'fair' chance to become the best, fastest, however, on the same page, the majority of players who have been around for years probably wont abandon the accounts they spent so much time on, espically if there already 'at the top'. I can safely say from experence that when the rs to rs2 switch occured, a large portion of players would not have switched if they would have lost all there stats + bank. Heck, at the time, alot of players were hesistant to switch anyway in fear that they would lose there bank items if it was another 'jagex fail'. Dont forget that back then, that was not uncommon. (reference to addition of construction skill)

siayer_katie.png

Its a fun idea, but realisticly, it would be just like the start of rsc, and the evolution of the economy would be similar. All out effort to get to 99 smithing to sell 'new' r2h's for 1m+. I like the idea because all the current members of runescape would be able to witness the evolution of how our economy came to be. It would give a chance for players that havnt been around for years to have a 'fair' chance to become the best, fastest, however, on the same page, the majority of players who have been around for years probably wont abandon the accounts they spent so much time on, espically if there already 'at the top'. I can safely say from experence that when the rs to rs2 switch occured, a large portion of players would not have switched if they would have lost all there stats + bank. Heck, at the time, alot of players were hesistant to switch anyway in fear that they would lose there bank items if it was another 'jagex fail'. Dont forget that back then, that was not uncommon. (reference to addition of construction skill)

There won't be a mad rush to 99 smithing because the game itself offers much better weaponry and armor as rewards or monster drops at earlier skill levels. It isn't starting on a fresh RSC server, it's starting on a Runescape server with 100+ quests, 25 skills, dozens of areas and dungeons, dozens of activities. Trust me, level 70 Barrow weapons and armor will be obtained in the game before the first player made R2H makes an appearance. Heck, I think Godswords and Sigils will show up prior to the first 99 smither. It's that variability that I think would make such a group of servers very attractive to a competitive minded player.

Think about it, you have guys that play for a year competing with legacy accounts that are 8 years old or more. That's like trying to run a marathon against a guy with a 40 minute head start. And yet the guys starting a year ago are the super efficient type that advance fast so overtake the top. These are the type of mindsets that'll love a new server on top of fresh players that won't be 1 among millions.

So long as both worlds are updated equally (though with a two week lag), then I don't think there'll be a problem getting players on them.

nukemarine.png

A lot of the current items in the real RS are the results of dupes.

Hundreds of thousands of Runes, tens of thousands of glories, hundreds of thousands of enchanted bolts, and as of recent, tens of thousands of rune armor sets all came into the game by illegal means. I won't even bring up the Partyhat dupe... well I guess I did. In addition to the glitch when Dorgesh-Kaan came out and hundreds of millions of gp entered the game within the timespan of an hour... It makes you wonder what the actual prices of items would be without all the glitches that were introduced into RuneScape at some point or another. I guess a new server with the bugs ironed out would, after many years, show a realistic price of some of those items.

I think a semi-interesting possibility to add on would be servers that restart every 3 months that give 10x normal exp and the top 100 at the time of each reset get small symbol/medal to hang by your name on forums or possibly in normal servers for those who right click them

even though realistically.. that's probably never going to happen ;(

• 2 weeks later...

I think a semi-interesting possibility to add on would be servers that restart every 3 months that give 10x normal exp and the top 100 at the time of each reset get small symbol/medal to hang by your name on forums or possibly in normal servers for those who right click them

even though realistically.. that's probably never going to happen ;(

It'd be interesting, but how long would it hold the average player's attention long enough to gain traction? Hard to invest a lot of time into something that will get removed in a short span of 3 months.

everyone would become a pure....

That would depend if a PvP server for a rebooted RS world was released to benefit from such a character.

nukemarine.png

I think the majority of the comments against this idea have been along the lines of "oh who would actually want to play on these servers".

from the perspective of a newbie gamer, a freshman server would be much more enticing, as you would not need to start the game off at such a huge disadvantage to more embedded players.

There's also the point that from the perspective of newer players, the achievements of older players may seem borderline insurmountable.

Sure, R2H's, glories, and stuff might be in horribly low supply at first. But that's part of the excitement.

Being at the forefront of a server is a very epic thing to accomplish and maintain.

Oh, and I guess there would be no rares on the server too. *evil laugh*

the only criticism is that, after the first few years of dynamic growth, the server will stagnate into what our current runescape is now.

But either way, I think it's a good bone to throw to the noobies.

and would probably weed out the more immature gamers out of our current server.

Naaxi.png

Even though I wouldn't take part, here are a few changes I can easily think of that I wish would occur in normal RuneScape but oh-so-obviously won't...

+ Merge Attack and Strength

+ Delete the Runecrafting skill (and possibly runes altogether, shifting spells to specific staves)

+ Move Barrows sets to level 90 in respective levels, and allow 'blank' armors to be imbued with an effect (IE, Ahrim's has a small chance of hitting through armor or protections)

+ Also, move Dragon to level 80, ETC.

+ Release Magic and Ranged armors at just as many tiers (How about Splitbark, Green Splitbark, Blue Splitbark, ETC?)

+ Give all armors damage percentage decreasing abilities

+ Delete Slayer or at least have comparative rewards for each triangle point

+ Shift melee weapons' high attack and strength bonuses to armors

+ Give Ranged and Magic armors "Ranged strength" and "Magic strength"

+ Split Stab/Slash/Crush from melee, and instead give a melee Defense stat, while giving all three points their own Stab/Slash/Crush bonuses (Brutal Arrows crush and Earth Spells crush, normal arrows and Water Spells stab, ETC)

And many more.

Uhh... So... 'Dungeoneerify' RuneScape, but take it a step further.

2dgucz6.png

Even though I wouldn't take part, here are a few changes I can easily think of that I wish would occur in normal RuneScape but oh-so-obviously won't...

+ Merge Attack and Strength

And many more.

Uhh... So... 'Dungeoneerify' RuneScape, but take it a step further.

The earlier discussion on the thread dealt with such a thing. However, the biggest problem would be that doing updates for two radically different game mechanics would become more and more burdensome meaning one would have to be dropped or we'd get less updates. So, I altered the first post and removed such suggestions on the feeling that a "clean slate" server that gets updated exactly like RS, just with a 2 to 4 week lag would be the best solution.

Yeah, some of the mechanics of the game that are holdovers from problems introduced over the last 10 years still remain. However, Jagex gets a great look at if creating a RS3 with a blank slate and refined mechanics would be accepted by gamers at large. There's a lot of bonuses to trying something like this out both in enjoyment and a business standpoint.

nukemarine.png

Pointless shmointless, I think it'd be a really cool and interesting thing to do. I mean you have characters who can't really do anything and a huge world in front of them. When rsc was first released, there was a lot of content initially unavailable to people because the game just started...now multiply that by a ton. And it'd be almost overwhelming I think

Pointless shmointless, I think it'd be a really cool and interesting thing to do. I mean you have characters who can't really do anything and a huge world in front of them. When rsc was first released, there was a lot of content initially unavailable to people because the game just started...now multiply that by a ton. And it'd be almost overwhelming I think

Overall, that would be the main point. Would many players enjoy spending time with new characters on such a server? In my mind, the answer is yes so I think it'd be worth it to Jagex to give it a shot.

nukemarine.png

It might be pretty interesting.

For starters, extremely expensive rares won't exist. People won't be able to spend a lot of money on a Partyhat to look good. Instead, that money will go to leveling certain skills, having a nice PoH, better armour, ... in the long run. Because of this, I think that if this new server would be at a 'maturity'-level like the current one, the price of resources will be higher, because more people buy them to get 99s (what else is there to spand money on?); the same would apply for armour.

This server would obviously develop a lot faster than the current one did: A lot more's available and players already know how to play the game. Not everything's new. I can't imagine prices being outragious like a million for a R2H. Back in the beginning (RSC), the only way to obtain a R2H was to smith one. Now, plenty of monsters drop one, there's treasure trails, there's still the mindset of the current Runescape: no one would pay a million for a R2H now and, finally, why would you buy a R2H for such a price when you can buy a Dragon Longsword for 100K in a shop?

Generally, I think the prices of almost everything will be higher. Many players wouldn't want to give up on their current character and just start over for real. This and if it wouldn't be available for F2P means that there would be far less people playing the new server compared to the current one, meaning there would be a lot less resources, thus prices being higher, even if there are less people wanting to buy these commodities.

I don't think that having two or more seperate servers would be a good idea, though.

This would mean having different economies and many players (a minimum, but even 0.1% on this many players is a lot) will always search for the best economy to play on. The economy of Runescape is already pretty weird and changes a lot imo, given (lame) merchanters, announcements for future updates, events (exp. weekends), ... Runescape's economy might change even more.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]