The death of dungeoneering?

ghjkl

Good god, I really despise the attitude of the people in here. I'm talking about the maximizing xp per hour attitude that everyone seems to have here and generalle in the game. Where did the having fun aspect go? Really, rushing every floor except your last 5? Its not like you get crap xp for doing a large f1 dung. You get half xp yes, but what about a f25 dung? 0,7-8x the xp? So what?!

This is worrying to say the least....

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have solo'd to LVL 29 and I have to admit, it has been long and slow.

I honestly intend to use Juna to level from now on with only the occasional foray into the dungeons.

Why's that?

Well I'll tell you. It can take me 90 minutes to complete a complexity 6 dungeon, opening every door, killing every monster etc. and what if I need to move my car, answer the door / phone / partner, go for a pee? I'll tell you what, it's 'cos I come back to the log in screen and i hav to start aaaallllll over again. Gah!

Suggestion: batch II, make it so that you can save your progress ffs :evil:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Good god, I really despise the attitude of the people in here. I'm talking about the maximizing xp per hour attitude that everyone seems to have here and generalle in the game. Where did the having fun aspect go? Really, rushing every floor except your last 5? Its not like you get crap xp for doing a large f1 dung. You get half xp yes, but what about a f25 dung? 0,7-8x the xp? So what?!

It sounds to me as though f1 large is supposed to be funner than doing f1-11 rush? As far as i can tell, no C6 cenario is funner than the other(i do conclude that c1-c5 are very boring) thus in the equation of efficency, it's only about getting the most xp in the shortest amount of time. As for the team aspect of the game, you don't really need all 5 people to be good at what they do, the minimal requirement for a succesful and fast floor is a smart keybearer and someone who can rush the other doors fast(toolrush guy). As poor as the other 3 are, you can still do large dungeons in 60 mins with them just killing monsters. I even did a large dungeon yesterday where only one guy in addition to me spoke english.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I honestly intend to use Juna to level from now on with only the occasional foray into the dungeons.

Why's that?

Well I'll tell you. It can take me 90 minutes to complete a complexity 6 dungeon, opening every door, killing every monster etc. and what if I need to move my car, answer the door / phone / partner, go for a pee? I'll tell you what, it's 'cos I come back to the log in screen and i hav to start aaaallllll over again. Gah!

90 minutes for a solo, comp 6 dungeon? WHAT.

It takes me only 20 minutes each AT MOST. And I kill every monster and open every room as well.

But agreed, there needs to be a "save progress" thing.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Good god, I really despise the attitude of the people in here. I'm talking about the maximizing xp per hour attitude that everyone seems to have here and generalle in the game. Where did the having fun aspect go?

What you seem to be missing is that for some people, there never *was* any "fun aspect".

What's "fun" is entirely personal. Some people enjoy Dungeoneering, but many are just doing it to get the levels or rewards. And for them, concentrating on the deeper floors is what makes sense.

Same thing with respect to different ways of rushing the lower floors. I find C1 rushing on the lower floors infinitely more enjoyable than trying to find 4 non-clueless people to do low floor numbers with, then watching as the team breaks up because some people leave, then getting more people, ending up with some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing, some guy quits in the middle, etc. I'll save the team hassles for when it really matters -- large, high-numbered floors.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

You have got to hand it to jagex- they never, ever wanted to see people soloing this minigame and i doubt they will ever do. I can't see any reason for solo medium dungeons to be good.

Yeah, but that was ages ago when this was still planned as an activity. Currently, it's not an activity. It's a skill. If you think Castle Wars can be a successful skill, you're wrong.

Why's that?

90 minutes for a solo, comp 6 dungeon? WHAT.

It takes me only 20 minutes each AT MOST. And I kill every monster and open every room as well.

But agreed, there needs to be a "save progress" thing.

That's..... I just can't grasp that. It takes luck to complete a c6 dungeon under 25 minutes with my stats, and...

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

If you can get double the experience by spending 20-25% of your time solo rushing the first 29 floors on complexity 1, then why not make the trade?

I find soloing in any kind much better than team dungeons unless I'm with a group of people that I know. There really are just too many incompatible strategies and incompatible personalities for large dungeons to work ALL the time. Plus I'd prefer not to play for long periods of time more than necessary.

2496 Completionist

c6 solo should not take more than 10min, unless you punch all the monsters, mine all rocks, smith everything, rc, fish all spots, etc.

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

I am rather worried about what dwindling amounts of players, and further spreading throughout floors of those players, will bring for dungeoneering...

However, I would say that as long as you pick the right team to join, the quality of players is actually a bit higher. There is still far too much apathy in dungeons... (players getting separated from team, obsessively clearing every room, standing around and waiting for other people to open doors and tell them where to go). But I've had a few fantastic teams too - had a team yesterday with 3 maxed players and 1 who was only missing 2 skills; 2 of them with 97 dungeoneering - the floor probably took less than 40 minutes.

Hm...so it sounds like all of the people who decided to wait out n see what batch 2 would bring are getting screwed over...

To those saying it fizled out like every other skill, every time I'm at c wars I still see kyatts and graahks popping in and out. So it looks like summoning and rc have managed to escape that fizzling ailment for a significantly longer period of time.

Same with monkeys at atoll.

Summoning has a use outside of 1 place.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Hm...so it sounds like all of the people who decided to wait out n see what batch 2 would bring are getting screwed over...

To those saying it fizled out like every other skill, every time I'm at c wars I still see kyatts and graahks popping in and out. So it looks like summoning and rc have managed to escape that fizzling ailment for a significantly longer period of time.

Same with monkeys at atoll.

Summoning has a use outside of 1 place.

I was sarcastically commenting on how it was NOT like others.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

You have got to hand it to jagex- they never, ever wanted to see people soloing this minigame and i doubt they will ever do. I can't see any reason for solo medium dungeons to be good.

Yeah, but that was ages ago when this was still planned as an activity. Currently, it's not an activity. It's a skill. If you think Castle Wars can be a successful skill, you're wrong.

There is no definition of a runescape skill. Dungeoneering(for ****'s SAKE the name....) is, in many ways, alot differant to all the other skills, but is it really a bad thing? I hate agility and runecrafting. Hate them. But the fact is, remarkably, i don't have to train skills i hate. Dungeoneering is a skill, and if you don't like it, don't train it. If you don't like the team aspect of the game, you can solo(some people train fm on maple/willow). If your stats are too low to gain meaningful experiance, it's certainly not jagex'es fault, as they have done everything to make all the skills kiddishly easy. If castle wars was a skill, i'd suffer to train it up to ~80 and stop. Also, it's funny looking at people prematurely saying that a skill is unsuccesful, farming really sucks, doesn't it?

Problem is that dungeoneering must be trained if you want to boss hunt competitively, in the same way that prayer and herblore must be trained. If you come late and dungeoneering ends up dead, you would end up having a much harder time getting your chaotic weapons soloing.

Problem is that dungeoneering must be trained if you want to boss hunt competitively, in the same way that prayer and herblore must be trained. If you come late and dungeoneering ends up dead, you would end up having a much harder time getting your chaotic weapons soloing.

this game really needs more challenges... also, i soloed up to level 61, so it's totally possible, it's just slower xp. repeat, you can train this skill ALONE. You'd never imagine how hard certain skills were in rsc, but people still trained the skills knowing they would get easier in time. HardER time? the whole skill isn't even released yet but you can still gain nearly the same xp/h rating soloing as rc-ing.

Also, as far as i can tell, getting 95 prayer/herblore is much harder than getting 80 dungeoneering, even when soloing.

I sometimes feel like the only person in the world who doesn't feel compelled to grind her way through the game with no interest in the actual content or having y'know... fun. I play for fun, I do some dungeons solo and I do some dungeons in a duo with a friend while in a Skype call (makes things way easier tbh). I dungeoneer when I feel like it and don't dungeoneer when I don't want to.

If you don't find it fun, don't play it. If you're scared people will be 'expecting' 99 Dungeoneering then deal with it. Nobody finds everything fun, nobody is forcing you to play Dungeoneering or even Runescape.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

this game really needs more challenges... also, i soloed up to level 61, so it's totally possible, it's just slower xp. repeat, you can train this skill ALONE. You'd never imagine how hard certain skills were in rsc, but people still trained the skills knowing they would get easier in time. HardER time? the whole skill isn't even released yet but you can still gain nearly the same xp/h rating soloing as rc-ing.

Also, as far as i can tell, getting 95 prayer/herblore is much harder than getting 80 dungeoneering, even when soloing.

It might be easy compared to other skills and RSC, but it is kind of demotivating to know that other people are getting much faster xp because they enjoy working in teams.

If teams got the same slow rates as soloers, there wouldn't be a problem.

It might be easy compared to other skills and RSC, but it is kind of demotivating to know that other people are getting much faster xp because they enjoy working in teams.

If teams got the same slow rates as soloers, there wouldn't be a problem.

if normal logs gave the same xp that magic logs do then.... oh, you are right, that'd be stupid. Does it really matter if the limiting factor on your hourly xp is money, skills(slayer, for example), how good a computer you have, how efficient of a player you really are(construction, for example) or the fact that that you can coexist in a team? For example, hunter readily depends on the number of players you are competing with for a spot, thus, in that aspect resembles anti-dungeoneering. You can also train on red sallys, but lose out on some xp(dungeoneering solo), so in that aspect, a similar skill is already in existance. Also people overestimate the differance between solo and 5:5 teams. If you take into consideration getting teams and all those little things, the differnce isn't that big. To gain the best xp you need to know great dungeoneers to skill with- similarly, you can solo corpral beast, but mst people prefer 5+ teams or FFA.

Also people overestimate the differance between solo and 5:5 teams. If you take into consideration getting teams and all those little things, the differnce isn't that big.

Yeah, actually, it is. And I say that as someone who prefers to solo.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Also people overestimate the differance between solo and 5:5 teams. If you take into consideration getting teams and all those little things, the differnce isn't that big.

Care to post any numbers on soloing xp? on average teams with average players and average waiting time for teams, you barely reach 35k xp an hour, and as far as i've seen, soloing C6 is around 27k h max(no additional things slowing you down). Ofcource, if you had a very efficient team, ~55k xp/h trough all floors is possible, but that would mean extreme organisation skills. Thus for the average player, it doesn't matter if he solos or teams, but he can still gain more xp if he does the higher floors large(for which teams are much easier to find).

I think striving for the perfect xp rate, hiccups and all, is what makes dungeoneering fun for me.

solo is terribly boring, the only appeal i see in it is the right to fish/wc/mine/skill to your hearts content, without burdening another player.

Naaxi.png

Soloing is awful. It's dull, boring, and lonely. And doing teams that you don't know is far too random and is likely to infuriate you to the point of punching kittens in the face.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

There is no definition of a runescape skill. Dungeoneering(for ****'s SAKE the name....) is, in many ways, alot differant to all the other skills, but is it really a bad thing? I hate agility and runecrafting. Hate them. But the fact is, remarkably, i don't have to train skills i hate. Dungeoneering is a skill, and if you don't like it, don't train it. If you don't like the team aspect of the game, you can solo(some people train fm on maple/willow). If your stats are too low to gain meaningful experiance, it's certainly not jagex'es fault, as they have done everything to make all the skills kiddishly easy. If castle wars was a skill, i'd suffer to train it up to ~80 and stop. Also, it's funny looking at people prematurely saying that a skill is unsuccesful, farming really sucks, doesn't it?

Actually farming does suck.

Its like a job.

You have to mind a clock like your at work.

You can't just pick it up whenever and train the hell out of it till your bored.

Oh and Vinesweeper is like solo dungeoneering but less fun and alot less xp.

Oh and did I mention that its the most expensive skill to train nowadays...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol