The death of dungeoneering?

ghjkl

Lol I'm only playing on my level 45 FTP account right now, and I've only done DG solo, but I find it pretty fun. Today I had a really annoying moment though, the boss the game gave me was a level 84 "Raklash the Riftsplitter" or something like that, the guy 3 hit me everytime, meaning I had to get his health down running in after I'd died, leading to me getting 12 deaths and my XP cut by 60%. Not good.

As for DG declining, anything on RS that needs a small team to work together is going to do badly, because its RS and most randomers you meet are going to be idiots. Relying on others I don't know on RS is not fun to me and its why I loathed every moment of BA to get the torso. If they keep putting in rewards and stuff for people to play for then It'll probably limp along. I know I'm just going to solo it If I start playing properly again.

As for the "griefing" stuff mentioned above, it depends on whether the leader is being a [bleep] about it or not. In BA if someone was screaming "CALL N00B" at me I would delibaretely not call, same principle if I played DG with people. If Jagex made it so that griefing was the only fun in doing DG with a team then its their fault really.

BTW, people are shortening Dungeoneering to DG right? I just assumed that, I've been out of the game for about a year and DG seemed logical.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just that doing a dungeon efficiently with a team that's working well is more fun.

Let's compare:

You are walking into a guardian room with a lot of high monsters

1) Everyone follows you without you asking and helps to kill them, killing the shades first etc.

2) One or two follow you, one is killing a spider, another one helping the shade. The 2 others are mining, or picking up drops in the other room.

You are ht'ing back to base to buy a lyco seed to make an artisan pot for a skill door. When you get back:

1) Your team has left already, knowing that you will clear it and that it's a dead end probably, and they started clearing other rooms already.

2) Your team is mindlessly waiting for you

You are the key guy, and you put your gatestone already at some key door of which you don't have the key. You arrive somewhere totally in the corner of the map, a very long walk from the smuggler.

1) One of your team mate suggests to make a gatestone there so he can open it up later, since you already used yours (you mentioned that before).

2) You have to beg them to make one and put it there

You are looking for an altar to get ready for the boss fights. In the mean time:

1) One guy had a gatestone there, so he has time left and planted lyco, and made venge runes and is handing out melee pots and venge runes. The others made sure they were stocked on food, and recharged their prayer

2) They all followed you to the altar, then left to fish more, and at the end decided to make pots too (when everyone is actually ready to go).

Now, I choose option 1 any time.

While it might be fun to do it a bit more relaxing with friends, it's not that fun to do it with random strangers. Secondly, IMO it's even more fun to do it really smooth with friends (as in, you know them very well, so everyone has his role, and can kind of predict what the other will do)

It's just that doing a dungeon efficiently with a team that's working well is more fun.

Let's compare:

You are walking into a guardian room with a lot of high monsters

1) Everyone follows you without you asking and helps to kill them, killing the shades first etc.

2) One or two follow you, one is killing a spider, another one helping the shade. The 2 others are mining, or picking up drops in the other room.

You are ht'ing back to base to buy a lyco seed to make an artisan pot for a skill door. When you get back:

1) Your team has left already, knowing that you will clear it and that it's a dead end probably, and they started clearing other rooms already.

2) Your team is mindlessly waiting for you

You are the key guy, and you put your gatestone already at some key door of which you don't have the key. You arrive somewhere totally in the corner of the map, a very long walk from the smuggler.

1) One of your team mate suggests to make a gatestone there so he can open it up later, since you already used yours (you mentioned that before).

2) You have to beg them to make one and put it there

You are looking for an altar to get ready for the boss fights. In the mean time:

1) One guy had a gatestone there, so he has time left and planted lyco, and made venge runes and is handing out melee pots and venge runes. The others made sure they were stocked on food, and recharged their prayer

2) They all followed you to the altar, then left to fish more, and at the end decided to make pots too (when everyone is actually ready to go).

Now, I choose option 1 any time.

While it might be fun to do it a bit more relaxing with friends, it's not that fun to do it with random strangers. Secondly, IMO it's even more fun to do it really smooth with friends (as in, you know them very well, so everyone has his role, and can kind of predict what the other will do)

You forget when there's a skill door and you don't have to skills but have the tool.

1) You drop and someone that has the skill immediately notices it, picks up the tool, opens the door, and drops it.

2) You ask if anyone has a skill, 5 minutes later someone says they have it. They come, realizing that they do not have a tool and home teles to get 1 without noticing the one on the ground.

dungeoneering is much much better w/ friends also friends are less likely to get mad at you if you make a mistake or are the uber nub of the party.

in 117 you just gotta kinda deal with everything....

StarViv.png

The problem I have with dungeoneering is that to train it you have to be willing to sit and play for extended periods of time, the good thing about runescape and the other skills in general is that you could easily just log on train/play for a bit and log out when you were done but with dungeoneering you have to finish the dungeon if you want to maximize your xp which is what has kept me from enjoying this skill.

scaperunesigjw5.png

Check out my Pocket Slot idea!

The problem I have with dungeoneering is that to train it you have to be willing to sit and play for extended periods of time, the good thing about runescape and the other skills in general is that you could easily just log on train/play for a bit and log out when you were done but with dungeoneering you have to finish the dungeon if you want to maximize your xp which is what has kept me from enjoying this skill.

sucks when u have a mom taking u off the comp -.- otherwise if ur alone its fine and easy.

StarViv.png

sucks when u have a mom taking u off the comp -.- otherwise if ur alone its fine and easy.

I don't have that problem since I have my own computer, but that wasn't even the point I was trying to make anyways. What I was saying was that dungeoneering FORCES you to play for long periods of time (to my experience dungeons take at least 20 minutes if not more for very little xp at a time), whereas most other skills you can just log on play for however long you want to play and log out.

scaperunesigjw5.png

I don't have that problem since I have my own computer, but that wasn't even the point I was trying to make anyways. What I was saying was that dungeoneering FORCES you to play for long periods of time (to my experience dungeons take at least 20 minutes if not more for very little xp at a time), whereas most other skills you can just log on play for however long you want to play and log out.

i have my own comp too lol.......but still if people in family talking to me. cant just log off especcially during larges.

You have to make sure u have enough time and cannot multitask while training to full efficiency for instance and an hr or more for a large with avarage teams. and with a good team you need to be even more active for a 50 or less min map

StarViv.png

i have my own comp too lol.......but still if people in family talking to me. cant just log off especcially during larges.

You have to make sure u have enough time and cannot multitask while training to full efficiency for instance and an hr or more for a large with avarage teams. and with a good team you need to be even more active for a 50 or less min map

You're still missing my point... It's not so much that I can't find the time, it's more so that I don't like being forced to commit so much time to a dungeon for what I find to be extremely slow xp rates.

scaperunesigjw5.png

You're still missing my point... It's not so much that I can't find the time, it's more so that I don't like being forced to commit so much time to a dungeon for what I find to be extremely slow xp rates.

That's like saying you're forced to wait 14 hrs for your trees to grow, or get slow exp with allotments which take ~15 min. Nobody is forcing you, you just can't expect every skill to be trained the same way.

Like has been said, many people stop at around 69 or when they get the items they want the most, because the exp rates will be better once batch 2 is released.

Anyone going for 120 now might get it before others, but they are getting it slower then others will in a month/few months once batch 2 is released with floors up to 60. (Which might even mean double the amount of exp we are currently getting).

I agree fully with you, Den Usynlige. Even though I have not yet even tried out Dungeoneering yet it seems to me like Dungeoneering have become less popular lately. I have noticed this by friends talking about it. Probably the new batch will make Dungeoneering packed with people again, but I don't think the attention will last for that long. Even if the xp rates will be better the skill is no longer new and most people are already "done" with dungeoneering.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

That's like saying you're forced to wait 14 hrs for your trees to grow, or get slow exp with allotments which take ~15 min. Nobody is forcing you, you just can't expect every skill to be trained the same way.

I agree with Eyrelex, even with a skill like farming you can log on for 5 minutes, check/plant your tree and log off.

-> best xp possible. Even if you only have time for just one tree/herb patch, it is good xp.

With dungeoneering this is not possible, you need at least 15+minutes. And this is only the case if you're ok with less xp/hour, otherwise it is 1hr+.

(isn't every skill trainable in a way you can log in for 5 minutes and get decent xp? Prove I'm wrong and name one plz? :^_^: )

Posting cause Nar's training a skill that doesn't reward him in solo PvE, when he could be leveling his mage.

Anyway, I haven't tried Dungeoneering, but my bro's done it near me, and it looks like WoW dungeons with a Barrows like aspect. Boring real fast...

I agree with Eyrelex, even with a skill like farming you can log on for 5 minutes, check/plant your tree and log off.

-> best xp possible. Even if you only have time for just one tree/herb patch, it is good xp.

With dungeoneering this is not possible, you need at least 15+minutes. And this is only the case if you're ok with less xp/hour, otherwise it is 1hr+.

(isn't every skill trainable in a way you can log in for 5 minutes and get decent xp? Prove I'm wrong and name one plz? :^_^: )

Yes! timmmmm that's exactly my point! I've never been a member and never done farming but I can't imagine you have to stand there waiting 14 hours before you can move on and do something else, which is what it would have to be for you to liken it to completing a dungeon. And like timmmmm said most other skills you can just log on for 5 minutes train for a bit and log out which isn't the case with dungeoneering.

I also know no one is forcing me to dungeoneer and I don't anymore after playing it for a little while when it was newer. What i'm saying is the skill itself forces you to if you want a certain level which is what I strove for before because I like to try to keep all of my skills at certain levels but i've since given up on that at least for dungeoneering.

scaperunesigjw5.png

I also know no one is forcing me to dungeoneer and I don't anymore after playing it for a little while when it was newer. What i'm saying is the skill itself forces you to if you want a certain level which is what I strove for before because I like to try to keep all of my skills at certain levels but i've since given up on that at least for dungeoneering.

Well, in a sense you probably are being coerced to train it via TOG. And unless matters have changed, you don't get tokens for that - just empty, worthless XP.

If Jagex intends to keep pretending this is a skill, then they need to amend that situation and (if possible) retroactively fix past TOG/Dung rewards. The other diversions that give XP (like penguins) I don't feel so strongly about. People choose those. But with TOG, we have no choice - it's the low skill or nothing. And week after week, the imbalance between XP & tokens grows larger.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Well, in a sense you probably are being coerced to train it via TOG. And unless matters have changed, you don't get tokens for that - just empty, worthless XP.

If Jagex intends to keep pretending this is a skill, then they need to amend that situation and (if possible) retroactively fix past TOG/Dung rewards. The other diversions that give XP (like penguins) I don't feel so strongly about. People choose those. But with TOG, we have no choice - it's the low skill or nothing. And week after week, the imbalance between XP & tokens grows larger.

Is there supposed to be a balance between tokens and xp? I mean, this skill will have(do remember, this skill is only half way released to date) rewards other than the ones sold in shops, so i don't see why every xp you get should also recieve tokens- tokens are the reward for training dungeoneeing in deamonheim.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Is there supposed to be a balance between tokens and xp? I mean, this skill will have(do remember, this skill is only half way released to date) rewards other than the ones sold in shops, so i don't see why every xp you get should also recieve tokens- tokens are the reward for training dungeoneeing in deamonheim.

It all depends on how big the benefits they add to the "overworld" are. I am still of the belief that, unless they release some mega-monster that can only be fought in a cave that requires 105 dungeoneering to enter and drops an uber divine spirit shield, the majority of the skill's rewards will still come from the tokens after Batch 2, so getting "free exp" in this skill is worthless. The exceptions to this is the maxed players who couldn't give a [cabbage] less about the rewards of the skill and only want to get 120 dungoneering as fast as possible just to say they're maxed again.

td2sig.jpg