New RuneScape Downloadable Client?

XxTearGodxX

Yeah, can be found in the Downloads and Wallpapers section, and you have to install this onto your computer to use it. Not sure how old this is but it says you don't need to have java installed and it doesn't require administrative rights for your PC.

From what I can tell it doesn't provide any extra "perks" or benefits, so I won't be using it I'll just stick to my web browser.

http://www.runescape.com/c=7w2wWYvxfWI/kbase/guid/Downloads_and_Wallpapers

xxteargodxx.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a client since I started playing so around 2004.

It doesn't have anything useful really.

Although the fact that it doesn't require Java or admin rights is news to me

EDIT: Apparently it is open source :twisted:

Theres been a client since I started playing so around 2004.

It doesnt have anything useful really.

Although it doesnt require Java or admin rights is news to me

I remember it being just a window without toolbars, etc. This "no Java required" is new to me.

1800+ Recent Updates on the RSOF are talking about it, so I guess it must be nice and shiny new.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Yup, it's new, I've been using the (now old) client recently, becuase Firefox hasn't been loading Runescape for me. Just downloaded the new one, gonna see if its anything different.

EDIT: Never mind, can't test it due to admin controls, L.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Wow. The installer is almost 10MB! That's a pretty big jump from the 90kb that the last client was.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Seems interesting...why would they open source it, basically inviting people to hide keyloggers in it and put it on their own site.

Wow. The installer is almost 10MB! That's a pretty big jump from the 90kb that the last client was.

Thats probably due to the included java environment (im guessing)

Visually nothing has changed though, although there is now a menu bar with an options tabs, but you can only select languages.

Lord_Beloved.png

Thats probably due to the included java environment (im guessing)

Visually nothing has changed though, although there is now a menu bar with an options tabs, but you can only select languages.

That must be it, since once installed it takes up almost 30MB. Not a huge amount of space, but probably more than most people would expect.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

From the source:

Jagex Launcher source package README

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Copyright 2010 Jagex Limited.

This file is part of JagexLauncher.

JagexLauncher is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it

under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 only, as

published by the Free Software Foundation.

JagexLauncher is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT

ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License

version 2 for more details (a copy is included in the LICENSE file that

accompanied this code).

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License version

2 along with this work; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>

This package contains:

The Jagex-modified OpenJDK source code (openjdk subfolder; see JagexChangeLog for details of files changed)

The JagexLauncher program (JagexLauncher subfolder)

So we can redistribute? Wow, the source download is 40mb and the extracted source is over 300MB. Talk about good compression.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I downloaded it today, didn't know it was shiny new xD just remembered that the client used to be at the download section, and that I could probably use better graphic with it.

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

So, does it just let you play runescape w/o a web browser? Does that mean it'll run faster? since each of my loading screens takes like 7 seconds...

cant hurt to try :P

But it will probably still use Internet explorer/safari to run on

Lord_Beloved.png

Ok.. I downloaded this 40MB badboy, but it's a ".tar" file.. what opens that? Should I change the filetype to get it to install? All that's opening it is WinZip.. in which case when I decompress it, I can't find which of the 32039 files to click to run it. Any help is appreciated. |^_^|

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Ok.. I downloaded this 40MB badboy, but it's a ".tar" file.. what opens that? Should I change the filetype to get it to install? All that's opening it is WinZip.. in which case when I decompress it, I can't find which of the 32039 files to click to run it. Any help is appreciated. |^_^|

You've downloaded the source-code, that's not really needed unless you are wanting to inspect it. The installer is the .msi link which you should be able to find quite easily too. (At the Click Here to Download part). If you want the direct link it's here.

It's interesting that Jagex have released it under the GNU, but there's nothing very interesting there - the client itself is simple enough and the majority of the source-size is due to the OpenJDK packaged with it, although partially modified by Jagex it's small fixes for the most-part.

That is the source btw. I used peazip and had to extract it twice. It extracts to about 350MB. I will have a video up in 10 minutes or so showing how it loads up.

The compiled version is only 9MB or so.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Oh, and it looks like this:

lookslikethis.png

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Ohh! Haha thanks a lot. Into the recycling bin she goes. I don't imagine it'll run on this computer anyways.. pretty sure the government of Canada blocks the Runescape port. |^_^|

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

So, does it just let you play runescape w/o a web browser? Does that mean it'll run faster? since each of my loading screens takes like 7 seconds...

I imagine it places some data on your computer so it may be faster.

Is the client available for Mac OSX or Linux?

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Im not allowd to install it because im not an administrator on this pc even though I am...

It also clearly notes in the download area on the RS site you dont have to be an administrator on your computer to install it. O_o