New RuneScape Downloadable Client?

XxTearGodxX

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not allowd to install it because im not an administrator on this pc even though I am...

It also clearly notes in the download area on the RS site you dont have to be an administrator on your computer to install it. O_o

SAME HERE.

I'm really annoyed.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

So now this is Open Source, Tip.It could start development on its own Runescape Client based on this correct? I would imagine that Jagex could make an announcement next week. :)

I believe this is correct. If it's open source it can be modified and improved to be redistributed. :thumbup: Big thumbs up to Jagex for their move on this. :thumbup: As for the Administrator rights comments, I am thinking they meant that it does not require Administrative rights to run. To install, however, you will need the Administrator rights to do so.

Is the client available for Mac OSX or Linux?

I'm thinking this one is only available for Windows as well. Unless someone would like to compile it for Linux and/or Mac OSX.

It works with linux.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

WHAT? Open source? Do my eyes deceive me?

*downloads source and attempts to compile with gcc*

[EDIT] After calming down a bit, this I feel is a huge step for Jagex. I'm not sure what it means in the long term, but for starters, it means that others may develop their own client to interact with RuneScape using Jagex's own source code.

This...this is huge. I'm really excited about this.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

And I assume it will work just as equally with Mac OSX. Anybody attempted yet?

Will not work on Mac due to it being a .msi file. Can't even install it.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Im not allowd to install it because im not an administrator on this pc even though I am...

It also clearly notes in the download area on the RS site you dont have to be an administrator on your computer to install it. O_o

SAME HERE.

I'm really annoyed.

Which version of Windows are you using? I had no problems installing or running it on XP Pro SP3, and I'm not even the administrator (work laptop. *shhh*)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

To install, however, you will need the Administrator rights to do so. Try right clicking the installer that was downloaded and choosing to run it with Administrative rights. No reason why it should not if you are the Administrator.

There is no run as administrator. Just Install, repair and uninstall then the normal options under there. (Like "open with ...", etc ).

Im on vista home prem.

Awesome, except for the lack of ALT+TAB support in Fullscreen mode, making it useless as a full client. Pretty good step forward though. Hopefully if enough people talk about it they will remove the black bar and make ALT+TAB work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm no techno nerd, far from it, but from what I've read this is a pretty big leap for Jagex, and I have to say that even though the client is [cabbage] right now, I'll be looking forward to what they do in the future.

I'm no techno nerd, far from it, but from what I've read this is a pretty big leap for Jagex, and I have to say that even though the client is [cabbage] right now, I'll be looking forward to what they do in the future.

Considering they haven't even made a newspost about it, it doesnt seem to be of much interest to Jagex to improve on the client. :(

Also, this seems odd now: (from TheJagexChannel on YouTube)

nv5e2s.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting, although at the moment it doesn't seem to be quite good at the moment as some people have told me. Will definitely give it a download and try tomorrow though and see how well it works for me though :razz:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

To install, however, you will need the Administrator rights to do so. Try right clicking the installer that was downloaded and choosing to run it with Administrative rights. No reason why it should not if you are the Administrator.

There is no run as administrator. Just Install, repair and uninstall then the normal options under there. (Like "open with ...", etc ).

Im on vista home prem.

Again, same thing here.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Wow... at first I thought it was going to be the source code for a stupid 3-line client that just loaded an ActiveX IE object into a window. But it's actually calling the the JVM itself. Incredible.

Although... where is that advertisement coming from? Goddamn it, it is IE ActiveX isn't it? I didn't see anything in the code though.

EDIT: Regardless, performance is stunningly better. Developing a custom client will be highly interesting now. I might even uninstall Java to celebrate the release of this thing.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Theres already a RS client, its called SwiftKit :roll:

Theres only 2 things SwiftKit is good for: Screenshots (+uploading them) and IRC.

Personally i only use it for the first reason, but like smellysocks said, this client could come with some really nice additions in the future, we'll have to see though.

Lord_Beloved.png

Theres already a RS client, its called SwiftKit :roll:

Swiftkit is a Runescape TOOLKIT. A "client" is an application which request services from a server application. Swifkit is made in visual basic and Runescape is ran inside of an Internet Explorer web browser component hosted in the Swiftkit application.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]