New RuneScape Downloadable Client?

XxTearGodxX

Wait, what? Open Source? Jagex? This cannot be>£Q£"$_)___*£"Q$()

>DIV/0

>LOGICAL ERROR

>EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN INITIATED

>BRAIN REBOOT SUCCESSFUL

This is huge, I can't believe that Jagex didn't announce this on the main page. It makes it possible for us to make a tip.it client now. laugh.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any chance that if i put it on a flashdrive i can by-pass st. bernard's iprism site-blocking and play some rs in the computer lab? (i know the old one didn't quite work)

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

It worked for me yesterday, but today, every time I open it, Vista jumps in with some data-protection crap and shuts it down. Tried rebooting it, tried disabling the data-protection thing, tried reinstalling.... My computer just doesn't want me playing in HD. <_<

a70c7.png

Looks like only the Java launcher program is open source. Everything else (including the main window) is closed source. Can't make a toolkit based on this.

Is it? I haven't looked into it that thoroughly. If that's the case, why did they even bother open-sourcing it? Makes no sense.

EDIT: Oh, just remembered, GPL. The OpenJDK license legally requires them to release the source.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

This thing's useless (the source). The client itself is great because you don't need Java installed. They were legally required to release that source. That's basically it.

/thread

EDIT: Admins removing my font 7 on two words in the post. angry.gif

Due to the copyright notice and the lack of F11 "semi-fullscreen" mode, it seems like it's still better to use Mozilla Prism.

If anyone needs to program in Java, it's Mozilla. They can't manage memory for cabbage. The copyright notice isn't that annoying anyways (although bizarre, literally NO other software, game or application, does that), and if it bothers you that much, with a bit of technical skill you can easily remove it. In fact, it's very easy to make the title bar show "GoonScape" and change the copyright text to "Jagex fails at a lot of things", for example, or even hide the advertisements for F2P. Lol.

And no, none of this requires modification of their software in any way. And no I won't tell you how. Tip.It mods will probably be like "ILLEGALZ AAAAH" and delete my post or something.

The copyright at the bottom ruins it for me. I rather stick to the Runescape[Caution: Executable File].

Then remove it, obviously Jagex won't like you to do so but if it's opensource then you should be able too.

The copyright at the bottom ruins it for me. I rather stick to the Runescape[Caution: Executable File].

Then remove it, obviously Jagex won't like you to do so but if it's opensource then you should be able too.

That part's not open source. The OpenJDK itself (with their modifications) along with a 50-line C++ program which basically reads a config file and launches the JVM is all we have. Nothing, really.