Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are there any "old school" players still out there?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

hiddel
[ Display Name History ]

hiddel

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts
um i started playing some time in early 2003 on this account. i had another one named archerboy2 that i played at school in late 2001-2002(before they took away pvp-nonpvp toggle). still playing off and on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

jessy87
[ Display Name History ]

jessy87

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

um i started playing some time in early 2003 on this account. i had another one named archerboy2 that i played at school in late 2001-2002(before they took away pvp-nonpvp toggle). still playing off and on.

and like, i started in 05... or 04? i dunno eitherway. Its been a few moments of time lost in the gaps of reality.

anyway, yeah i no longer play to do skills really, i just play to DO things. like i used to play castle wars alot. I feel things game is meant to be enjoyed a bit more then what i once played like

zotto
[ Display Name History ]

zotto

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 723 posts

The game surely has changed. Most of the products nowadays spend their time hacking & slashing for income, then turn around and spend all their income on buying skills.

They then smugly declare that their way is the best way, and tell you you are playing the game wrong if you don't do it their way. Of course, they don't consider that if everybody played their way, there'd be no skill buying because there'd be no raw mats.

:roll:

I guess most "efficient players" who buy skills are dependent on the existence of bots.

I have gotten most of my raw income from slayer, MTK, farming herbs, and daily shop runs. I have purchased skills such as prayer (passed the 45 level) and herblore (past the 70 level).

My first 70 level was mining and it gotten me around 60 smithing as well.

But for instance mage I never really trained. I tried to, and always got bored with it in less than an hour. I actually gotten past 80 by just teleporting for 5 years and high alching drops during slayer tasks. And recently I just started maging during slayer tasks and during testing out which monsters could be maged without much cost. Highly inefficient though, because you lose money like crazy maging slayer.

I have tried some of the efficient ways of playing, but I am coming more and more to the conclusion that they do not give me much fun. In that sense I am still old school.

I fondly remember training slayer to level 80 without the benefit of guthans or summoning. Just food and around 75 slayer I trained to gain the ability to do bones to peaches. No potting, no praying. That's habit that was adopted by the community on a massive scale only much later on. And then I finally got my guthans and I almost got efficient. Except that I wasn't. Still picking up all coins. Still alching all steel battleaxes etc. Still not using prayer except for protection prayers. Started to pot because I finally leveled my herblore quite high (old day standards) with slayer (herb drops and farming)

I got my 99 slayer without all that piety cabbage. I sometimes flashed piety when i could bother. That was usually only at iron dragons or something similar with a high defense. Never had it on full time. I tanked most tasks that most others just protection prayers on, just because I am old school and didn't see the point in wasting prayer pots.

I actually never purchased a single prayer pot in my runescape existence. All the p pots I have used came from ranarr herb drops which I turned into p pots myself. I only started to buy herb pots when I went for the race for extreme pots. When i joined the fashionable thing to do.

In conclusion I have not been self sufficient in my runescape career, but probably more than most. And the main reason is that I never spend much time on high income activities such as tormented demons, gwd, etc. I have done them, but not as a main activity or just to try them out.

Dbzruler72
[ Display Name History ]

Dbzruler72

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,245 posts

In classic, I did everything myself. For the first few months of RS2 I carried the same tradition through, but over time, as level gaining became more tedious, I found that buying raw materials produced the quickest results. With infinite shop stocks, the Grand Exchange, and the sheer amount of players providing raw materials, most players don't want or need to do it themselves anymore.

anyone who was anyone in RSC didn't DIY, sorry m8.

Bah, no need to be sorry. I was a nobody back then. Just an elementary school kid having fun, eh?

I have tried some of the efficient ways of playing, but I am coming more and more to the conclusion that they do not give me much fun. In that sense I am still old school.

Over the years of playing RuneScape, I came to hate grinding. I'd rather buy materials to grind only once than grind one skill just to get the materials to grind another.

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,846 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

'legit' to me sounds like people who don't use bots, rather than people who train skills properly instead of buying the materials.

That was my thought too.

I dont have much money for my level so there are times I will self-gather, but there are also other times where I wont do it because I refuse to spend hours grinding one thing, JUST to grind another. I rarely grind as it is and as such, try to minimize it because its a huge turn-off for me.

EDIT: Another thing I hate is players telling me "You should do it this way because its fastest and most expensive, your doing it wrong"
Im doing it the bloody way I want to, go shove your Godsword where the sun doesn't shine. <_<

Popoto.~<3

Howie101
[ Display Name History ]

Howie101

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
2001 represent

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xpx
I really don't uderstand the legit title for those players- you can do things how you want(and the almost in your post really ruins you), but there is nothing more legitimate about how you do it, and as you have propably found already, theres no need to come up with prepostrous titles when they already exist.

As for DIY players, it was much easier to be one in rsc because of the trade restrictions- they were the only reason fletching was considered a hard skill and if you really wanted to train a skill, even trading for the raw materials took ages. I still remember all the talk and anticipation of how trading would be solved in rs2, bank to bank trading and stuff. Notes really weren't fathomable at the time.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

gremmy
[ Display Name History ]

gremmy

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • RSN:Gremmy
  • Clan:#pr0s, #dutch_pride
Inb4itam69
Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)
Dagannoth kings drops: 73
Barrows item count: 51
GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)
Whips: 4
Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Sublexation
[ Display Name History ]

Sublexation

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sublexation
Oh and the game is hella easy these days compared to "way back when" lol
Posted Image

Waltchelg
[ Display Name History ]

Waltchelg

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • RSN:Walt SA

This way of playing seems more stupid than legit.

So you people will [cabbage] all over someone who decides to play as a DIYer but glorify some ridiculous [bleep] who got lvl 99 slayer strictly from SW? Honestly, how people play the game is how they want to. "It's not efficient!!!!!!!!!!"... not everyone plays the game for that reason you ignorant people. That's like asking someone who decided to build their own house why they did that instead of hiring someone to do it for them in 2 weeks. There's a sense of accomplishment that comes with this kind of stuff.

I'm not agreeing with the use of the term legit, just the idea that some of you are dumb.

Starting Playing RS: ages ago.

Everyonedies
[ Display Name History ]

Everyonedies

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 657 posts
Ya i have to say it doesnt really matter how you play the game its your life and how you play and what makes you happy and enjoy the game is up to each player. Anyway I for the most part I DIY and started at the begining of 2001. I had 2 99s at the end of RS1 str and attack hp was at 97 and def was a at 95 if i recall(well im at work and i cant log into classic to check but i think those are the numbers) at one point i was the 97th best player on the fighter scores. Anyway check out my stats(im not saying they are good) they are 95% entirely DIY the only thing i buy is half the coal needed for smelting adam bars. This can give you an idea of what someone who plays nearly everyday for over 9 years, never took a break of more then a week, can do with DIY. I just play for fun dont care about grinding or 99 capes or any of that crap.

Eyrelex
[ Display Name History ]

Eyrelex

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 780 posts
I do everything myself, the only things I by are like you said armor and weapons.

I don't get how DIYers are inefficient, my methods allow me to train several skills at once. For example, when i'm mining I gather materials to train my smithing and in the course of that I will accumulate gems which will allow me to train crafting, once I craft my amulets I will enchant them and once I smithe my steel plates (what I always mine ore for) I will then alch them which trains my magic. Rather than just buying materials so I can train one skill all the way to whatever I wanted i'm training several, it may not be as easy but not everyone has the money to just go out and buy their skills especially in f2p.
Posted Image
Check out my Pocket Slot idea!

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts

I do everything myself, the only things I by are like you said armor and weapons.

I don't get how DIYers are inefficient, my methods allow me to train several skills at once. For example, when i'm mining I gather materials to train my smithing and in the course of that I will accumulate gems which will allow me to train crafting, once I craft my amulets I will enchant them and once I smithe my steel plates (what I always mine ore for) I will then alch them which trains my magic. Rather than just buying materials so I can train one skill all the way to whatever I wanted i'm training several, it may not be as easy but not everyone has the money to just go out and buy their skills especially in f2p.

It's inefficient because it would be faster to powertrain unbuyables, and use the time you save to make money quickly and powertrain buyables.

stormveritas
[ Display Name History ]

stormveritas

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  • RSN:Stormveritas
When you start thinknig about the details of what is labeled "Legit" here, there are times where it makes the game LESS enjoyable.

I try to DIY anything that will earn experience, however I patently refuse to do things that either earn NO exp or earn very, very low rates of experience.

For example, while I get my coal from Miscellania and would mine my own mithril/addy/rune, I would NOT mine the tin and copper needed to make bronze and smelt / smith (if needed for a quest, for example).

Additionally, I'd never pick flax, mine all of my essence (aside from what I get from the wizard in ardougne, or during my shattered hearts chase).

I enjoy DIY for the overall game experience, but there is a tipping point where it stops being noble and enjoyable and skews into "massive time waste and glaring inefficiency".

Hopefully everyone is somewhere between 100% DIY and complete powerleveling; I can't imagine the game is too much fun without a little bit of balance in there.
Posted Image

Doomster
[ Display Name History ]

Doomster

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,282 posts
Mostly self-sufficient, particularly in food - doesn't take that long to grind to 40 fishing & cooking (F2P).
Higher level armour and runes, bought.

obidiah
[ Display Name History ]

obidiah

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 109 posts
Mostly DIY - certainly on herbs, fish, logs etc- a lot of DIY methods do give you some XP in the production skills - and even though they might not be the most efficient ways of levelling the prodcution skills - it somehow makes the levelling less boring knowing you are also building up the resources.

Often tend to GE to buy things for quests though. - doesn't seem worth going through the whole process of making a bronze bar, just for one bronze bar.

tjd123
[ Display Name History ]

tjd123

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
Well i just wanted to see how you guys felt. To me, the GE just made the game a lot easier.

ixfd64
[ Display Name History ]

ixfd64

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:ixfd64
  • RSN2:ixfd64 rs2
I still play, but only once in a few days.

By the way, I chopped my own logs for level 99 firemaking, simply because I wanted to save money. :D
ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer
ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Rock Hard
[ Display Name History ]

Rock Hard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  • RSN:Rock Hard
  • RSN2:Rock s Hard
so do you like, personally rc / get from drops every rune you use for every spell?

fletch every arrow, bolt and dart?

smith, craft or get from drops every weapon and piece of armor?

RUN THROUGH THE WILDERNESS TO BUY YOUR OWN [bleep]IN TEAM CAPES????? :OOO
'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Posted Image

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
in classic ALOT of people bought materials, being self sufficient has nothing to do with being old school
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users