Tip.It Times - 06th June 2010

Racheya

I always listen to either music or talk while playing RS, and I do even more while skilling. I have even read books while training skills, the reason I did so was I had to study and RS hellps me to not be bored while studying. I wonder if the author has considered that maybe the reason people multi task isnt that runescape isnt interesting enough, but that multi-taskers would rather multi-task no matter what they're doing?

The only quest I havn't finished is Nomads Requium. It is extremely difficult, but I plan on trying again today.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Regarding multitasking, I tend to do so as well, but that's mostly because I have a short attent... Squirrel!

Sorry, had to. But yea, I have a short attention span that stems from an overactive imagination. If I can keep my "hind-brain" distracted with something, be it music, TV shows or movies I've already seen or whatever, I can focus more fully on what I'm supposed to be (or want to be) doing. Sometimes that's Runescape, sometimes it's reading a book, sometimes it's work (used to be homework til I graduated).

Hell, even now I'm watching videos from the Internet as I write this. Browsing the forums helps me concentrate on the show better.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

To bring the puzzle part of the prestige to the Quest Cape, Jagex has to create puzzles like these two where the starting position is randomized. A player therefore has no way to follow a step by step guide but must understand the workings of the puzzle. That ups the difficulty for a lot of the people that stormveritas mocks while keeping the same level of difficulty for those who already struggle without guides.

You mean like the puzzle from Within the Light? I actually found that to be the best quest puzzle to date: you needed to have a good understanding of the mechanics and what your end goal was but it was condensed to one area and easy to control. The Temple of Light is just too big (Not to mention the agility obstacles) and the controls for EMIII were just god awful.

On topic...I enjoyed both articles this week, keep up the good work!

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

To bring the puzzle part of the prestige to the Quest Cape, Jagex has to create puzzles like these two where the starting position is randomized. A player therefore has no way to follow a step by step guide but must understand the workings of the puzzle. That ups the difficulty for a lot of the people that stormveritas mocks while keeping the same level of difficulty for those who already struggle without guides.

You mean like the puzzle from Within the Light? I actually found that to be the best quest puzzle to date: you needed to have a good understanding of the mechanics and what your end goal was but it was condensed to one area and easy to control. The Temple of Light is just too big (Not to mention the agility obstacles) and the controls for EMIII were just god awful.

On topic...I enjoyed both articles this week, keep up the good work!

Agreed, Within the Light was easily one of my favorite puzzles. Wish the reward was better.

Mod Dylan's response:

As this quest is only played through once per account (unlike the treasure trail puzzles), it was considered unnecessary to randomise it to give it variation, as this would have added significant development and QA time without much noticeable benefit.

Another problem with randomising is we would not be able to guarantee two players approaching the puzzle would have that same difficulty of problem to solve.

Source

Well there you have it. It'll take time to get people to stop bragging about solving puzzles quickly (with the help of a guide). It's much harder to randomize a puzzle with a turn limit - like this one - without creating unsolvable positions; for something like the 9-square slider in Nomad's Requiem, though, I would like to see it scrambled by having the computer execute a set number of moves randomly. A reverse scramble can't create an unsolvable position and it ensures a generally equal set of difficulty the more moves the computer makes.

I understand the prioritizing that's going on - designing the puzzle as the main element of a small low level quest and taking out weeks of QA - but I'm hoping that when a true Grandmaster quest rolls around, the puzzle is created from the beginning with the purpose of randomization. If you think about it, there are really three ways of completing a quest:

1. Getting out a guide and following it through step by step.

2. Looking at general tips, required items (so you don't have to run around while doing the quest), and then figure out how to complete each step on your own. In the case of a puzzle, you get help understanding the concept of the puzzle but do the solving on your own.

3. You do not look at anything and just play through the quest by yourself.

Jagex cannot stop people from using the second method, but they can increase the prestige of the quest cape by making sure that you can't use a "Puzzles for Dummies" guide. I have a couple friends who still had no idea how the puzzle worked after the quest was over, as all they did was watch a video and mimicked what the other character did. For a small-scale quest like EW3 that's okay, but not when designing bigger puzzles.

I actually had to look up Within the Light to remember the puzzle. I'm assuming it's the one where you redirect light to the appropriate wall? I barely remember doing that one - I guess I got lucky, but I just remember taking each pillar one step at a time and rotating it in the right direction. It's not really a puzzle when every plausible solution works.

2496 Completionist

With reference to the QC requirements, see below the list which I think is up to date.

The fact that this cape is never secure on your back is what makes it a 'must-have' for me. Even today I could log in and find the message "Your QC unequips because you have no longer completed all of the quests".

Occasionally, it is followed by a bit of grinding to secure 'ole bluey' as part of my daily apparel. I think the hardest grind was smithing when I was only 62 and needed 69 and I had no spare coins =/

Levels required to complete every quest

Total level: 1520

Attack 75

Constitution ----

Mining 66

Strength 75

Agility 69

Smithing 69

Defence 65

Herblore 65

Fishing 62

Ranged 75

Thieving 66

Cooking 70

Prayer 70

Crafting 66

Firemaking 61

Magic 75

Fletching 70

Woodcutting 75

Runecrafting 50

Slayer 65

Farming 65

Construction 60

Hunter 65

Summoning 41

Dungeoneering ----

Combat level 85

Q. Pts 270

---

Temporary boosts

may be used in some quests

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

It could be argued that people multitasking to stop themselves getting bored is a strength of Runescape!

A lot of games people don't multitask simply because they can't. People don't get necessarily get bored of other games any less than Runescape.

But if you get bored of other games your only option is to stop. At which point you forget where you were up to and find it hard to re-engage when you might be in the mood again.

Runescape you can just keep on trucking with some of the less interactive gameplay and then when a new quest or something comes out, I'm ready to dive back in.

I don't have any comment....I guess this just left me dumbfounded, i submitted that article over 6 months ago i think and just a few minutes ago some friends showed me the link to it :shock: I don't even actually remember writing it since it's been so long ago, it took me about 20 minutes to summon the courage to give it a read myself and then read the actual comments on it. Thank you for you generous comments, it astonished me to see such kind words :thumbsup:

Final1.jpg

I don't have any comment....I guess this just left me dumbfounded, i submitted that article over 6 months ago i think and just a few minutes ago some friends showed me the link to it :shock: I don't even actually remember writing it since it's been so long ago, it took me about 20 minutes to summon the courage to give it a read myself and then read the actual comments on it. Thank you for you generous comments, it astonished me to see such kind words :thumbsup:

We try to use our own articles most of the time, but sometimes we need a guest article and we've thankfully got a backlog of articles submitted by generous users like you :thumbup: It was a good article :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

In the Multi-tasking article I felt the argument was flawed.

You inferred that, because people say they 'need' to multi task to play RuneScape, this means they do not enjoy RuneScape.

I however, refute.

1) When people say they 'need' to multi task, there is room for the argument that this is clearly an exaggeration.

2) Music is something that is listened to every day by most people, doing all sorts of things. Just because one likes listening to music while doing activity X does not mean they do not like activity X without music, but instead, prefer it.

Example, I often attend the gym. I love going to the gym, and while I'm often with a few friends, due to their job requirements they are, on occasion, not able to attend when I am able to do so. So, I listen to music while I work out. Listening to music does not take the love of working out away, at all, but instead, increases my enjoyment because I love both working out AND music. My enjoyment in the gym is not dependant on music.

Another example, I dislike very much training prayer, because it is incredibly boring. However, I enjoy the benefits. Due to the turmoil prayer being required in order to join the so called 'pro' godwars teams, I paid for the bones for 95 prayer. Throughout training from 90-95, i hated it and thus watched countless episodes of Frasier. Afterwards however, I enjoyed getting hilts on LS and splits in CS very much.

My point in this example is, some 'journey's' of the game can be boring for some, while the destination is far better. Just because someone might need to listen to music/watch films to keep them from getting too bored does not mean, at all, that the game itself bores them, but the skill in general.

Another point I wish to make on this topic is that of motivation;

When one sets themself a high levelled goal, i.e. a 99, there can be times where it is so boring that you may wish to stop. Many of my friends watch YouTube videos of people reaching the goal that they themselves wish to achieve, to motivate or inspire them to do the same and carry on. Here, yet again, the distraction, in this case the video, is not a neccesity, but instead a motivator.

If anyone wishes to dispute my points, I welcome it, as, of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

Edit: my new name is Revising, just in case people look up Likely and notice that the prayer level is not in fact level 95. xD

LBANTER.png

LBANTER.png

That multitasking one really spoke to me...

Thing is, i dont find most of runescape fun, and have to find other things to amuse me while playing runescape, but the thing is. AFTER the grinding is done, and i can spend my time PKing, thats when i have the real fun.

Basically, use youtube to numb the grind, play runescape when youve got the money to have fun :D

O.O