The death of making money by skilling.

Lugia_Lvl138

Well you missed Visages,

Seeing this made me think, a bit left field...

Obviously this would never happen but what about if jagex did this:

The gathering skills, whilst gathering the higher things, rocktails, addy/rune rocks, yew/magic trees (wc) etc, if you had chance, much like the visage maybe a touch more common but overall a ranked boss style as a "very rare drop" , of getting something like a god ore/god tree/god fish (lol on the last one....) which would be equally powerfull/surpass the GWD equipment.

Then with the secondary skills, 95+ could mean you could fletch the god bow (2 god logs to make?), god armour (1/3/5 of the rare ores?), god sword (3/5 rare ores) (not the type we have atm but im just sticking with the theme, so something better)..

All of these rare things therefore give value to skilling, would be tradeable, in resource/finnished form.

That in a way gives skilling its "rare" reward?

Again just an idea and I have been rather lazy on the names, obviously it wouldnt be called ""god" but i just went for a theme. But if they were rare enough yet achievable, overnight gives boss hunting values to skilling?

thats a good idea, but jagex would probably be like you have birds nests and caskets@@@@@

also we dont need more higher powered weapons, I'd rather we got something related to skilling. (axe better then dragon, special fishing equipment, etc)

the axe/fishing equipment would work if degradable and tradeable but significantly better exp an hr. also all the people that are filtthy rch off combat would want the items if they wanna max out...

StarViv.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are dozens of ways to make decent money skilling. You can usually make more money via combat, but that doesn't mean making money via skilling is "dead".

Ok, not dead, but most certainly "obselete". Let's use solo Bandos as an example. With my Chaotic Longsword, I can down roughly 2 bosses per Overload dose. We'll say 1.3 bosses per dose considering luck, and time spent at bank and getting KC. Now, completely ignoring the chance of big drops(especially considering my last drop was Boots 245 kills ago, and my last major drop was 469 kills ago), we'll say each boss kill is roughly 50k on average. I believe that figure is accurate considering the Bones alone are 15k, and drops such as Rune Plates and Snapdragon Seeds are fairly common, balanced out by drops like 20k Coins, Magic Logs, Coal, and Addy Ore.

50k times 1.3 times 12 is 780k an hour soloing Bandos not factoring in any drops Shard or higher. I think the 1.3 might even be a bit conservative. Now I've read your dynamic moneymaking guide and I believe the highest non limited method clocked in at around 1.15m an hour. When you consider that I'm likely on a big unlucky streak at Bandos, and that I have the wealth and supplies to "roll the dice" literally hundreds, even thousands of times, it's clear that Solo Bandos would normally be the better moneymaker.

I love how you say combat is waaaaaaaay better then skilling for money, yet you use overloads? What are overloads, if not skilling? Yes, you are using combat, but your also using a non-combat skill to do so. Also keep in mind that Solo'ing Bandos with a Chaotic weapon and overloads is not something that the average player has access to. If you want to use a boss, your best bet is Dag Kings probably - to my knowledge, no high skill levels or quests are needed to kill/solo them effectively. These days, GW is all but impossible to go to if your not a very high level, as you can't solo it or get on good teams. TD's are a slightly better example but WGS is a fairly elite quest. The rest of the bosses don't make enough money to mention. (Maybe the mole makes some money, but he's pretty weak, and in ant case doesn't make that much money. Nor does he have any 1mil + or 10mil+ drops.)

Or barrows. That's a good place to mention in a combat > skilling argument.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

There are dozens of ways to make decent money skilling. You can usually make more money via combat, but that doesn't mean making money via skilling is "dead".

Ok, not dead, but most certainly "obselete". Let's use solo Bandos as an example. With my Chaotic Longsword, I can down roughly 2 bosses per Overload dose. We'll say 1.3 bosses per dose considering luck, and time spent at bank and getting KC. Now, completely ignoring the chance of big drops(especially considering my last drop was Boots 245 kills ago, and my last major drop was 469 kills ago), we'll say each boss kill is roughly 50k on average. I believe that figure is accurate considering the Bones alone are 15k, and drops such as Rune Plates and Snapdragon Seeds are fairly common, balanced out by drops like 20k Coins, Magic Logs, Coal, and Addy Ore.

50k times 1.3 times 12 is 780k an hour soloing Bandos not factoring in any drops Shard or higher. I think the 1.3 might even be a bit conservative. Now I've read your dynamic moneymaking guide and I believe the highest non limited method clocked in at around 1.15m an hour. When you consider that I'm likely on a big unlucky streak at Bandos, and that I have the wealth and supplies to "roll the dice" literally hundreds, even thousands of times, it's clear that Solo Bandos would normally be the better moneymaker.

I love how you say combat is waaaaaaaay better then skilling for money, yet you use overloads? What are overloads, if not skilling? Yes, you are using combat, but your also using a non-combat skill to do so. Also keep in mind that Solo'ing Bandos with a Chaotic weapon and overloads is not something that the average player has access to. If you want to use a boss, your best bet is Dag Kings probably - to my knowledge, no high skill levels or quests are needed to kill/solo them effectively. These days, GW is all but impossible to go to if your not a very high level, as you can't solo it or get on good teams. TD's are a slightly better example but WGS is a fairly elite quest. The rest of the bosses don't make enough money to mention. (Maybe the mole makes some money, but he's pretty weak, and in ant case doesn't make that much money. Nor does he have any 1mil + or 10mil+ drops.)

Or barrows. That's a good place to mention in a combat > skilling argument.

I would like to mention that around mid 2008 - early 2009, before Overloads existed, and before I owned a Divine, I was still able to solo the Sara boss 15-20 times a trip. Slower than solo Bandos, and yet I averaged a Hilt in a bit under every 200 kills. Only real requirements for that are a good Range/Def level, good gear, 52 Summoning, and 70 Agility.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

My 2 Cents.

Firstly this game will always revolve mostly around combat. (PVP, Monster-Hunting, Combat Activities or the occasional quest boss)

The market will always rule and, in the olde wildy days, people did not have fancy good swords or huge chestplates. And the fact one had to get new stuff everytime you were killed meant that the rune full armor and weapons + potions was always in demand along with runes, arrows and food. (common items today not more than comodities used for exp purposes mostly.)

Skillers will always have a place in this game, but too be succesfull i assume you would have to use combat to some extent

ass i see it, its a risk v reward thing.

skilling is safe, you can mine in the wildy or stuff like that but oiverall its safe.

boss hunting could get you killed at any point, so basicly it should be higher income (take away deaths).

its just fallen apart becouse boss hunting is too safe and too much money relitive to skilling.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Well you missed Visages,

The gathering skills, whilst gathering the higher things, rocktails, addy/rune rocks, yew/magic trees (wc) etc, if you had chance, much like the visage maybe a touch more common but overall a ranked boss style as a "very rare drop" , of getting something like a god ore/god tree/god fish (lol on the last one....) which would be equally powerfull/surpass the GWD equipment.

Then with the secondary skills, 95+ could mean you could fletch the god bow (2 god logs to make?), god armour (1/3/5 of the rare ores?), god sword (3/5 rare ores) (not the type we have atm but im just sticking with the theme, so something better)..

All of these rare things therefore give value to skilling, would be tradeable, in resource/finnished form.

Again just an idea and I have been rather lazy on the names, obviously it wouldnt be called ""god" but i just went for a theme. But if they were rare enough yet achievable, overnight gives boss hunting values to skilling?

thats a good idea, but jagex would probably be like you have birds nests and caskets@@@@@

also we dont need more higher powered weapons, I'd rather we got something related to skilling. (axe better then dragon, special fishing equipment, etc)

the axe/fishing equipment would work if degradable and tradeable but significantly better exp an hr. also all the people that are filtthy rch off combat would want the items if they wanna max out...

Which therefore would mean a very high cost, and in turn therefore when a skiller got it would mean a very high reward cashwise... (if it was rare enough....)

Solo GWD'er

Drops: Bandos Hilt x 1/ boots x 1 / Steam staff x 1 / Shards x 9

99 Str/ 99 Att/ 99 HP (More to come...)

Well you missed Visages,

Which therefore would mean a very high cost, and in turn therefore when a skiller got it would mean a very high reward cashwise... (if it was rare enough....)

do scepters come every 2million thief exp? this item could come every 5-10m wc exp or every 3-7m fish exp?
StarViv.png

Runecrafting is still a fine way to make money, although it's at an all time low in profitability. I've tried doing GWD for money, which on average is more gp/hr than rc, but the drop rates are so low and you kill them so slowly that it takes a long time for your profit/time to average out (I killled 500 sara bosses and got 1 ss). Plus GWD drops have stayed constant or gone down in price even while gp has gone way down in value due to inflation. I would try TDs but quests are such a massive waste of time that to get any reasonable amount of gp it's faster to just rc from the start. I value the consistency and low attention requirement of RC.

satan_panda.png

Runecrafting is still a fine way to make money, although it's at an all time low in profitability. I've tried doing GWD for money, which on average is more gp/hr than rc, but the drop rates are so low and you kill them so slowly that it takes a long time for your profit/time to average out (I killled 500 sara bosses and got 1 ss). Plus GWD drops have stayed constant or gone down in price even while gp has gone way down in value due to inflation. I would try TDs but quests are such a massive waste of time that to get any reasonable amount of gp it's faster to just rc from the start. I value the consistency and low attention requirement of RC.

yah but u gotta admit its changed the way to make money for most people...thats why so many people 1b exp when a few yeaers ago 1b exp wasnt even optional now people flip for money.

and rc was 1m an hr for a few years but 1m an hr still only giving like 300m or so for 91-99 and that doesnt afford most buyables like it did around 2 years ago b4 the prayer/herblore updates.

with 300m b4 the prayer herb updates u could get prayer 60-99 and herb 60-99 for 233m then could get either con crafting or smithing with the rest but with 300m now.....that doesnt even get 1 of pray or herb.

StarViv.png

Crafting skills outside runecrafting have been dead ever since the grand exchange, and really only good for moneysinking for a skillcape, nothing new there. Gathering skills have always been a solid way of making money, but never really the BEST, or even close to the best way, except really early RS.

And yes, recently combat is generally THE best way of making money.

It all makes sense really, in combat you are at risk, you can die and lose your insane armor and crazy weaponry. While you skill your biggest fear is a random event...

O.O

Well you missed Visages,

do scepters come every 2million thief exp? this item could come every 5-10m wc exp or every 3-7m fish exp?

Hmm that still averages out to once a week on those skills.

3m/7 = 428k and 7m/7=1m exp a day for fish its not gunna be once a week 7m exp is getting 92-99 and 3m exp is getting 96-99 lol...

for wwcing it would be 714k - 1.4m exp a day for it to be once a week tbh if someone n0l1f3s they deserve it

StarViv.png

Crafting skills outside runecrafting have been dead ever since the grand exchange, and really only good for moneysinking for a skillcape, nothing new there. Gathering skills have always been a solid way of making money, but never really the BEST, or even close to the best way, except really early RS.

It all makes sense really, in combat you are at risk, you can die and lose your insane armor and crazy weaponry. While you skill your biggest fear is a random event...

I am sorry but I really do not see it this way at all. This has absolutely nothing to do with potential loss. There is no boss in this game that is 'hard', all GWD bosses can be nearly afk'd, and slayers mindlessly slaughter things by the thousands. Combat is not the best money maker because of risk. It is because Jagex wants it that way. The most expensive items in the game are collected through monster drops. Outside of rares, there is not a single skill related item that even touches combat gear in profit (though I'll give you royal set from Kinglys but I really feel this is more of a result of manipulators need of a rare item than actual worth). This game is geared for combat and skills only serve as a means for players to do combat. Sure there are skillers (myself included) that enjoy that side of the game more but there will never be money in it. Want to know why?

Drop tables. Pure and simple. There is not a single skill based item that is not collectible through combat. Want seeds, kill giants, want bars, kill dragons, want anything.. there is a monster for that. Until Jagex reduces skill based items from drop tables and puts a need for skill produced items, there will very rarely be profit in skills. Consumable gathering skills are the exception to the rule but even then, drop tables include those items too. Noted fish, logs, and ores are very common drops it seems. Heck my kingdom nets me a handsome amount of coal, maples, and fish every day. I make money from those consumables and I cannot remember the last time I touched a hatchet, harpoon, or God-forbide a pick. Hunter items are pretty useless outside of a select few (chins for range and the summons) that net a decent profit. These are not part of any drop table that I know of and seem to enjoy their rather stable money-making prices. See a trend here?

I think I am going to woodcut.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

The problem started with God Wars Dungeon, it turned everyone into millionnaires overnight. TDs & other bosses since then have followed suite, as well as the GE making merchanting much easier. The end result is that money is so undervalued that methods such as RCing double nats are now slow GP relative to the other ways in the game.

10xy5fk.png

[hide=Don't wanna make my post too long, but this is the imporant part]

I am sorry but I really do not see it this way at all. This has absolutely nothing to do with potential loss. There is no boss in this game that is 'hard', all GWD bosses can be nearly afk'd, and slayers mindlessly slaughter things by the thousands. Combat is not the best money maker because of risk. It is because Jagex wants it that way. The most expensive items in the game are collected through monster drops. Outside of rares, there is not a single skill related item that even touches combat gear in profit (though I'll give you royal set from Kinglys but I really feel this is more of a result of manipulators need of a rare item than actual worth). This game is geared for combat and skills only serve as a means for players to do combat. Sure there are skillers (myself included) that enjoy that side of the game more but there will never be money in it. Want to know why?

Drop tables. Pure and simple. There is not a single skill based item that is not collectible through combat. Want seeds, kill giants, want bars, kill dragons, want anything.. there is a monster for that. Until Jagex reduces skill based items from drop tables and puts a need for skill produced items, there will very rarely be profit in skills. Consumable gathering skills are the exception to the rule but even then, drop tables include those items too. Noted fish, logs, and ores are very common drops it seems. Heck my kingdom nets me a handsome amount of coal, maples, and fish every day. I make money from those consumables and I cannot remember the last time I touched a hatchet, harpoon, or God-forbide a pick. Hunter items are pretty useless outside of a select few (chins for range and the summons) that net a decent profit. These are not part of any drop table that I know of and seem to enjoy their rather stable money-making prices. See a trend here?

[/hide]

Exactly what I had in mind...

Another thing might be that nowadays more and more people use gear from these combat-related bosses- bandos equipment and so on, also lessening need for runite gear- before GWD even most high-leveled players used rune plates because another options weren't as reliable- Barrows needed reparing and dragon chains were rare (Kalphite Queen was a formittable boss).

As it is now:

You combat- get decent gear- move onto bosses- get better gear- move onto more profitable bosses- get even better gear. All you need is some consumables- food, potions, maybe some familiars (there isn't much market there) and even those you don't need that much to make a difference.

Every good gear you'd need in skilling though is also gained through combat with the only exeption of adze (might be missing something?). You should be able to gain better skilling equipment by skilling itself.

Only DIY die-hards make their own pickaxes and axes (although I think they are better off killing some monsters [see what I did there?])

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

I made a thread similar to this back in January "The Godsword is the Highest Level Player Made Item" which did try to counter most of the thinking that combat should produce the best items in the game. It also talked about balancing skill based items to bring it on par with combat, even having a GWD equivalent for skillers. Time2quit pointed it out that resource gathering can have more rare items obtained if you have a high skill level(s) in addition a rare chance.

Here's one (but not the only) solution: create slayer monsters that can only be killed with skills (and when "damaged" add to skill experience). With that, it's simple matter of "drops" that are unique to monster and related to that skill that can bring wealth back to that skill. For those that think it's silly to mix combat and skills, think about this: A runite rock is already like a slayer monster. It requires a skill of 85+ and a unique weapon (pick axe). It has an ENORMOUS defense, but just 1 hp (once you actually hit it, it dies) with only one unique drop. Changing it up a bit to make the runite rock have more "hitpoints" making it take longer to mine, and can "attack" back by lowering your mining skill, while reducing mining to zero to kill you adds "risk v reward" combatants moan about. Just making it mobile and adding a slayer requirement adds another twist.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I made a thread similar to this back in January "The Godsword is the Highest Level Player Made Item" which did try to counter most of the thinking that combat should produce the best items in the game. It also talked about balancing skill based items to bring it on par with combat, even having a GWD equivalent for skillers. Time2quit pointed it out that resource gathering can have more rare items obtained if you have a high skill level(s) in addition a rare chance.

Here's one (but not the only) solution: create slayer monsters that can only be killed with skills (and when "damaged" add to skill experience). With that, it's simple matter of "drops" that are unique to monster and related to that skill that can bring wealth back to that skill. For those that think it's silly to mix combat and skills, think about this: A runite rock is already like a slayer monster. It requires a skill of 85+ and a unique weapon (pick axe). It has an ENORMOUS defense, but just 1 hp (once you actually hit it, it dies) with only one unique drop. Changing it up a bit to make the runite rock have more "hitpoints" making it take longer to mine, and can "attack" back by lowering your mining skill, while reducing mining to zero to kill you adds "risk v reward" combatants moan about. Just making it mobile and adding a slayer requirement adds another twist.

Also Jagex HAS DONE this already in the past. Where, might you ask. Remember fighting Tanglefoot in Fairy Tale part I? Your strength (maybe even attack don't remember exactly) was replaced with farming level and you needed special weapon (in this case magic sectateurs) to hurt it. It might be the solution for skillers to get their own equipment. These skill bosses could in fact replace dagganoth kings for dragon axe and chaos dwarves for dragon pickaxes or even for better equipment.

The thing I find absurd is, that (as I read from your topic) as you suggested that skilling should rarely generate something to make some materials to get a item everyone who agreed was like "Yeah, sure, i'd love to get X combat item" WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO REVOLVE AROUND COMBAT? (ofcourse, I know that Jagex intended Runescape to be combat-oriented, but it has grown into something that is not what they had expected as the world of Runescape has grown and expanded, there are now different types- pures, ones that do mostly PvP, skillers, who never touch combat, questers, who don't care about either of 'em much, some balanced players and so on and so on.

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

Also Jagex HAS DONE this already in the past. Where, might you ask. Remember fighting Tanglefoot in Fairy Tale part I? Your strength (maybe even attack don't remember exactly) was replaced with farming level and you needed special weapon (in this case magic sectateurs) to hurt it. It might be the solution for skillers to get their own equipment. These skill bosses could in fact replace dagganoth kings for dragon axe and chaos dwarves for dragon pickaxes or even for better equipment.

The thing I find absurd is, that (as I read from your topic) as you suggested that skilling should rarely generate something to make some materials to get a item everyone who agreed was like "Yeah, sure, i'd love to get X combat item" WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO REVOLVE AROUND COMBAT? (ofcourse, I know that Jagex intended Runescape to be combat-oriented, but it has grown into something that is not what they had expected as the world of Runescape has grown and expanded, there are now different types- pures, ones that do mostly PvP, skillers, who never touch combat, questers, who don't care about either of 'em much, some balanced players and so on and so on.

Actually, it was the tanglefoot that got me a bit of the idea, and the reason I included them in the farming portion of the suggestion. Plus, yeah, it would be great to get some unique skilling equipment from such "bosses".

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing the matter with getting high level skilling items from combat just as there's nothing wrong with getting high level combat items from skills. Likewise, getting better skilling item from skills and combat items from combat is equally cool. A little balance in all that helps.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Believe me, i want skills to be profitable more than anyone.

As a pure theres no way im hunting any boss monsters, but the reality is, its the best money maker, and a large factor contributing to this is risk.

But yes, it would be cool if you could get decent stuff out of skilling.

O.O