Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chaotic Rapier vs Longsword

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1730 replies to this topic

gypsyeater
[ Display Name History ]

gypsyeater

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 234 posts
No, I only used the CLS for higher defence monsters. As I know whip is better for low defence monsters already.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xpx
I really don't see where you'd see all that hate for rapier- i've used it alot and most have understood the rapiers supeiorness. There are still some who care to disagree in pvp, but after they see a fight, it's more than settled. People eat to more than 70 vs rapier, about the same as they would against a godsword....

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

gypsyeater
[ Display Name History ]

gypsyeater

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 234 posts

I really don't see where you'd see all that hate for rapier- i've used it alot and most have understood the rapiers supeiorness. There are still some who care to disagree in pvp, but after they see a fight, it's more than settled. People eat to more than 70 vs rapier, about the same as they would against a godsword....

Maybe you're point is valid in terms of deep wildy pvp where its good for using you're opponents food because they can't really run to safety. But In normal fights rapier just doesn't have the KOing ability like the CLS and CM. You wan't them to die, not keep eating and run/tele because they're nearly out of food.

BeNiceOk
[ Display Name History ]

BeNiceOk

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

So no one sees how the Chaotic Rapier - which has 12 more accuracy

Your thread has many valid points, but this segment I don't agree with. You can't compare accuracies of different attack types. You are comparing stab attack with slash attack, which is the same as comparing magic attack with ranged attack. Each attack style has its own defenses on monsters, so you cannot say "x" is more accurate than "y" because its a higher number.

Another point of the CLS is that is has a high slash accuracy bonus. This bonus is something that CLS over-shines the rapier at, specifically at high level bosses. Bosses with higher defense, such as Sara, are easily killed with a CLS while rapier can have difficulty hitting her. CLS provides an almost godsword like bonus but the ability to use a shield with it, which is why it is preferred over Godswords. Sometimes you need both high accuracy and defense, not just one or the other.

PvP wise, Raiper is much more lethal on pures, while at higher levels is lacks the KO factor to be effective. People can out-eat it and run away.

Raiper is without a doubt the best weapon where the opponents defense is moderate or low, but CLS is still a great (if not the best) weapon for high defense monsters. It may even prove to be more useful when higher level bosses come around.

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
i have both and rapier pws for all slayer task long is worse than a whip because of its speed on most monsters. i fought steel dragons and was like "woah rapier turns steels to irons" i noticed a 3-6k exp/hr increase over whip using extremes and turmoil. i still use whip for camping monsters but rapier is awesome for slayer and only weapon ill use on slayer for long time.

long was fun to use at castlewars it was like a godsword but tbh if ur going to get 80 dungeon id get the rapier as its most useful the long is just to simular to a godsword nothing really groundbreaking.....it was sorta like a godsword at bandos for me too the high hits were nice but a 0 with a cls just sucks compared to a 0 with a whip.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Maybe you're point is valid in terms of deep wildy pvp where its good for using you're opponents food because they can't really run to safety. But In normal fights rapier just doesn't have the KOing ability like the CLS and CM. You wan't them to die, not keep eating and run/tele because they're nearly out of food.

It has more than enough ko ability if both players are using vengance... since both players will be using a load of food the hits you save vs gs/cls/maul is very significant.

howbadisbad
[ Display Name History ]

howbadisbad

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:teh stew
  • Clan:Mafia City

L2pk.

Whip is superior to all gs in pvp except ags (because of the spec tbh).

Your statement about the k0ing ability is bs because people would eat higher on weapons that hit higher. Duh.

Chaotic rapier has pro combos which easily make up for the less str than the cls.

cr

cls

Couldnt really find a good cls vid
all the nubs who suck at pvp use it apparently >_>
Posted Image

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Squisher_33
[ Display Name History ]

Squisher_33

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

i have both and rapier pws for all slayer task long is worse than a whip because of its speed on most monsters. i fought steel dragons and was like "woah rapier turns steels to irons" i noticed a 3-6k exp/hr increase over whip using extremes and turmoil. i still use whip for camping monsters but rapier is awesome for slayer and only weapon ill use on slayer for long time.

long was fun to use at castlewars it was like a godsword but tbh if ur going to get 80 dungeon id get the rapier as its most useful the long is just to simular to a godsword nothing really groundbreaking.....it was sorta like a godsword at bandos for me too the high hits were nice but a 0 with a cls just sucks compared to a 0 with a whip.

simiar to what i do, i kept my whip because i still use it

i use rapier for uncannonables to tear them apart, 100% of dmg so its increase on whip is about 20% more speed

but on tasks like for example.....bloodvleds, i still use whip because titan + cannon do 75% of the dmg anyways so rapier woudl be going to waste there as opposed to rapier doing 100% of the damage
Posted Image

PereGrin
[ Display Name History ]

PereGrin

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • RSN:Pere Grin

I can see your logic, but there is 1 thing that is wrong:

Longswords are speed 5, while the Rapier is speed 6. Your rankings remain the same, but, in stab and strength, the Rapier leads by a smaller margin.

There is also the fact that other Strength bonus and attack bonus boosters aren't calculated. If you get a +54 bonus from your gear (the max, not including PvP gear), the Rapier will be able to make use of it more often and is a heavy factor as well.

*edit* Miss-understood how the weapon speeds per second was calculated. Forgot about a small aspect in the system. Although he is correct, the second part of my post is still valid and is still something I think should be taken into consideration.

I only compared the weapons directly, as the OP did. Adding in Bandos, fury, barrows gloves, dragon boots, neitz, and rune defender changes things slightly.

(C Rapier) x (5/4) = +170 Stab, +148.75 Slash, +173.75 Strength

CLS = +149 Stab, +165 Slash, +158 Strength

The winners are as follows:

Stab: C Rapier (14% over CLS)

Slash: CLS (10.9% over C Rapier)

Strength: C Rapier (10% over CLS)

Soma2035
[ Display Name History ]

Soma2035

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
Is Godsword really better than Whip against high defense monsters? I haven't really hunted many boss monsters lately, but the few times that I did, I noticed that Godswords weren't as impressive as they once were. Mostly, it's the fact that the effect of strength on damage is approximately linear. And accuracy, in this game like it is in almost all other games, suffers from diminishing returns. When you have enough strength and accuracy bonus, the extra speed of the whip capitalizes on this strength bonus better.

In practice, I had mixed results but I didn't test too extensively. In either case, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the C. Rapier is better for hunting large monsters too. Or if it isn't now, that it would be in the future. Our weapons and armor and temporary skill increases have gotten larger and larger over time, and I can't imagine this trend changing. Which would imply that the C. Rapier will be continually improved more than the C. Longsword.

Leyenda
[ Display Name History ]

Leyenda

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • RSN:Szeryng

Making this because I'm sick of morons comming up to me and asking, "Y not CLS omfg?" :rolleyes:

Runescape is full of morons. Best thing to do is put them on ignore and let them waste their tokens on the longsword
All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)
Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs
Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

ghjkl
[ Display Name History ]

ghjkl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
Cls is better if rapier does not hit at least 54% of the time. The whip is better than godsword because there is a lot of disparity between the DPS of the 2 weapons, around 25%, while the difference between cls and rapier is only around 14%. Longsword does have its uses, but it is outclassed by a combination of rapier and maul.

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
I got a maul first (for TDs and bosses) and am getting a rapier second (for slayer).
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I've been trying CLS with slayer. It's much faster than whip for kills. I even tried stab at mith drags. I basically hit constant 400-500's. I think the added accuracy from the CLS gives it an edge over the rapier in all situations where the monster/player has higher defence.
If the monster/player has low defence. The only thing that makes the rapier better than a whip is the str boost as accuracy doesn't really matter for those.

Have you accurately recorded exp/h doing that? On low defense monsters, a whip should outperform a CLS for the same reasons it outperforms godswords.

Thing that gets me about this statement is that, should I ever get 80 dungeoneering, I'd stick to my whip on low defence monsters because I don't have to pay to recharge it. I'd keep chaotic weapons for bosses - and at my stats, at bosses, the CLS would be better due to improved accuracy.

Note that I don't have overloards, max melee, or turmoil. Attack is 90, def/str 89. For maxed players, the only thing that matters is the speed/str ratio. Weapons with max speed always tend to have max speed/str ratio, but this is supposed to be balanced with lower accuracy. But for people with max melee, overloards, turmoil, accuracy rarely matters. Or well, it doesn't matter when comparing high end weaponry anyways.

Also, this is most definitely not the first topic I've seen on this.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Slayer_Jesse
[ Display Name History ]

Slayer_Jesse

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  • RSN:Slayer Jesse
or, just get longsword and have a weapon for everything! also, op's comparison to VLS doesn't really hold because vls isnt a practical weapon.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Siggy credits

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

or, just get longsword and have a weapon for everything! also, op's comparison to VLS doesn't really hold because vls isnt a practical weapon.

I think you've misunderstood something, rapier is the weapon for everything, longsword against high defence, maul for ko.

For pking, as i've been pking with a rapier for 2 days now.... few people dare fight a rapier and it's atleast as good as ags but you'll be getting alot of kills where you die at the same time(7 for me now). I'm 3-1 against cls now(but it's not nearly enough of a sample size).

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts
The Chaotic Rapier rips through Bando's GWD's Boss.

I'll be able to do it with Overloads and Piety in... 2 days. The difference between me and him will be the fact that I will be taking advantage of the +30 stab bonus he sacrifices. And my attack is 9 levels higher. =p

At Bando's GWD, Rapier > CLS.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Lep
[ Display Name History ]

Lep

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Lep
+30? Rune Defender is 20 and ardy cape is 6 but wheres the other 4? :blink:

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I'll be able to do it with Overloads and Piety in... 2 days. The difference between me and him will be the fact that I will be taking advantage of the +30 stab bonus he sacrifices. And my attack is 9 levels higher. =p

Completely untrue. Give someone like ME a CLS vs Rapier, and I'd find CLS more useful.

One thing most of these debates neglect is how useful the boosted accuracy is to people without overloads/extremes, maxed combat, and turmoil. I didn't put in piety because it's not that high leveled/I have it. I somehow doubt that if I tried both at Bandos GW, I'd find the Rapier the better choice.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Squisher_33
[ Display Name History ]

Squisher_33

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Completely untrue. Give someone like ME a CLS vs Rapier, and I'd find rapier more useful.

One thing most of these debates neglect is how useful the boosted accuracy is to people without overloads/extremes, maxed combat, and turmoil. I didn't put in piety because it's not that high leveled/I have it. I somehow doubt that if I tried both at Bandos GW, I'd find the Rapier the better choice.

you just disagreed and said "give me both and id find rapier more usefull" thats what he just said that rapier is best

to my understanding you just posted disagreeing with him saying its untrue, then you went thru and agreed with him that rapier is better, thats realy confusing me
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users