15 June 2010 - Ancient effigies

Andy

15-Jun-2010 - Ancient Effigies

This week sees the introduction of ancient effigies to the potential loot you can receive when defeating the various creatures encountered during your adventures. Players taking on the challenges of combating stronger enemies will be more likely to discover an ancient effigy once their foe has fallen before them.

These ancient effigies seemingly possess a will of their own and desire knowledge from the adventurers who hold them. Initially, an effigy will require you to have level 91 in one of two skills (chosen randomly) to investigate it, from which you will receive healthy amounts of experience in the skill you choose. As effigies absorb more and more of your knowledge, they will require ever higher levels in other skills level 93, then level 95, and, finally, level 97. If you can supply the ancient effigy with all the knowledge it seeks, you may discover something of the secrets it holds...

Less experienced adventurers who luckily manage to obtain an ancient effigy, but who dont have the skill levels to supply it with the knowledge it seeks, can always ask for a helping hand through the Assist System (the person who assists will earn the XP, but you may still end up with something for your troubles at the end). Alternatively, if you lack both experience and patience, and would prefer more instant gratification, Historian Minas at Varrock Museum will be more than happy to take an effigy off your hands in exchange for a small reward.

Mod Rathe

RuneScape Content Developer

Summary:

Where to get ancient effigies:

Ancient effigies are rare drops from a wide variety of creatures...

Requirements to investigate ancient effigies:

Levels 91+ in various non-combat skills (which skills may vary for each effigy found).

In other news...

The Orb of Oculus (machinima camera) has been upgraded and given new functionality and features to help you with all your in-game videos.

The classic Clan Wars arena is now entirely multiway, with the exception of a small area around each entrance portal.

A monkey has appeared in the sword shop in Varrock. If you stop by, he may be able to sell you something from his own stock...

You can now convert clay into soft clay with the Humidify spell from the Lunar spellbook.

Patch Notes:

[hide='']

Graphical

* Adjusted the height-mapping for several map squares.

* Tweaked the graphics for various tent models to not interfere with the floor.

* Fixed a game engine problem where the north-west corner of an instance wasn't correctly height-mapped.

Quests

* Added extra checks to a cut scene in the Death to the Dorgeshuun quest.

* Changed a check in Fairy Tale Part III to use your Summoning level rather than current Summoning points.

Activities and Distractions & Diversions

* Corrected several typos in the initial selection of court cases.

* The court case clerk will now conduct extra checks to see if you're eligible for your reward.

* Adjusted some of the logic in the Fish Flingers Distraction and Diversion. This doesn't affect actual gameplay/balancing.

* Fixed a problem where two players would be told they'd won Fist of Guthix at the same time.

Miscellaneous

* Fixed a problem with a challenge room in one of Daemonheims furnished floors.

* Correctly handle a problem when logging in and initialising your top-level Prayer icon.

* Fixed a really old bug where you'd get a slight defence bonus for being in the third stance of a weapon, even though the defensive option could be the fourth option.

* Improved the login information

* Fixed a further problem with combination runes when casting various spells.

* Fixed a problem when in resizeable window mode that was preventing certain close buttons from being clicked on.

* Made the poison code consistent, so that various familiars and creatures around RuneScape behave in the same way and the anti-poison totem works everywhere.

[/hide]
C1Geq.png

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too bad I have no 91+ noncb skills

also, inb4 patchnotes.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

A monkey has appeared in the sword shop in Varrock. If you stop by, he may be able to sell you something from his own stock...

You can now convert clay into soft clay with the Humidify spell from the Lunar spellbook.

Yay and yay?

17175_s.gif

[spoiler=Quotes]

Goddammit Monk, stop being so full of win.

I am Monk's [bleep]

i wonder if potions/pies/evil stews work on the effigies :P

i also wonder what the reward for fully gorging an effigy is

i hope this "knowledge" is a useful skill lol, not just something like:

"chickens have drop bones 100% of the time"

Naaxi.png

Cool, we can buy dscims in varrock

Otherwise, i am not sure what these are

we dont know if it'll be scims or daggers yet...

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

It says monkey though. The daggers are sold by fairies.

17175_s.gif

[spoiler=Quotes]

Goddammit Monk, stop being so full of win.

I am Monk's [bleep]

Daggers are in zanaris.

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Sounds like a nice extra random drop. I wonder how rare they are and how big the rewards wil be.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Patch Notes:

[hide='']

Graphical

* Fixed a game engine problem where the north-west corner of an instance wasn't correctly height-mapped.

Quests

* Changed a check in Fairy Tale Part III to use your Summoning level rather than current Summoning points.

* The court case clerk will now conduct extra checks to see if you're eligible for your reward.

* Adjusted some of the logic in the Fish Flingers Distraction and Diversion. This doesn't affect actual gameplay/balancing.

* Fixed a problem where two players would be told they'd won Fist of Guthix at the same time.

Miscellaneous

* Correctly handle a problem when logging in and initialising your top-level Prayer icon.

* Fixed a really old bug where you'd get a slight defence bonus for being in the third stance of a weapon, even though the defensive option could be the fourth option.

* Fixed a problem when in resizeable window mode that was preventing certain close buttons from being clicked on.

* Made the poison code consistent, so that various familiars and creatures around RuneScape behave in the same way and the anti-poison totem works everywhere.

[/hide]

Popoto.~<3

Sounds like a nice extra random drop. I wonder how rare they are and how big the rewards wil be.

Each time you successfully investigate an ancient effigy, it will reward you with experience in the skill that you used to feed it. Starved effigies award 15,000XP; nourished effigies award 20,000XP; sated effigies award 25,000XP; and gorged effigies award 30,000

Every time you investigate the effigy, it becomes the next level higher, but the requirements go up.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Free magic experience to anyone who buys clay and sells soft clay now!

Curious about what the monkey may sell. There isn't any good reason to place a d scim shop there..

Also, a bit of bonus experience for no effort at all is sweet :) Need I remember you, getting a few RC effies to assist = GREAT EXPERIENCE! Saves you a few hours of training. Same goes for slayer or any other skill. It is free experience and getting up to 80k free experience is great.

I wonder what the rewards on the side will be. I can only think of supplies. Always nice.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

:o my world 3 scimitar hunch was right! never though it was more than my own superstition...

If you are able to continue to feed the effigy knowledge until it is gorged, then fulfil its final craving, it will crumble to dust and reveal...well, that is for the knowledgeable to discover.

(the person who assists will earn the XP, but you may still end up with something for your troubles at the end)

These two quotes are hinting to a greater, non-XP reward. Any ideas?

I wonder exactly what monsters drop it. If even low-level monsters drop it, just with an incredibly incredibly low chance like it sounds like it does, then we may see quite a few of these popping up soon.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Patch Notes:

[hide='']

Graphical

Quests

Miscellaneous

[/hide]

Thanks, added to the post.

C1Geq.png

Dark beasts can be confirmed to drop them...

Just got one, starved. Recieved:

15k farming xp

20k woodcut

25k craft xp

30k herblore xp

after that it desintegrated into a dragonkin lamp, which was like a genie lamp, giving me 32603 rc xp(87 rc).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Each time you successfully investigate an ancient effigy, it will reward you with experience in the skill that you used to feed it. Starved effigies award 15,000XP; nourished effigies award 20,000XP; sated effigies award 25,000XP; and gorged effigies award 30,000

Every time you investigate the effigy, it becomes the next level higher, but the requirements go up.

I saw that, but I mean the other part.

"If you are able to continue to feed the effigy knowledge until it is gorged, then fulfil its final craving, it will crumble to dust and reveal...well, that is for the knowledgeable to discover. "

^^ that part.

EDIT: ah I see, a lamp giving even more exp.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Dark beasts can be confirmed to drop them...

Just got one, starved. Recieved:

15k farming xp

20k woodcut

25k craft xp

30k herblore xp

after that it desintegrated into a dragonkin lamp, which was like a genie lamp, giving me 32603 rc xp(87 rc).

so from one you got like 120k xp? nice.

DM0Yq2c.png