Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

The communities reaction to this update will have a much larger effect on the economy than the actual update, sad really.

I don't see the point in alching/selling these anyway, if I had a stock of them I'd list them on the GE. The only way to obtain these now is to pay 75k, even if the GE price drops to 60k you'd still be making significantly more than alching them. For this reason not quite so much money is making it into the economy as people expect.

It shouldn't have a large effect and while I agree the change and the way they went about it was wrong the overreaction people are having to this has given me a good laugh.

Edit: Reply to above post, yes Jagex track trades.

Woul you still be using a streght amulet if it rose 375 times? no, i didn't think so either. The boots will drop to ~44800 gp in ge and stay there for the rest of infinity, with no real profit being made keeping them in the ge rather than just alching now. People used them because they were dirt cheap, and only bought them for ~75k IF they really, really needed an extra pair to not change servers and go to the ge. 75k was the extreme opportunity cost of being at the right place at the right time, but certainly not a value that a reasnoble person would judge them by.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The communities reaction to this update will have a much larger effect on the economy than the actual update, sad really.

I don't see the point in alching/selling these anyway, if I had a stock of them I'd list them on the GE. The only way to obtain these now is to pay 75k, even if the GE price drops to 60k you'd still be making significantly more than alching them. For this reason not quite so much money is making it into the economy as people expect.

It shouldn't have a large effect and while I agree the change and the way they went about it was wrong the overreaction people are having to this has given me a good laugh.

except that there will be basically 0 demand and huge supply, rune boots are now better and cheaper.

This. +2 strength bonus has very little significance. PKers use it because it's essentially free. Hardly anyone is going to be willing to pay 75K for it.

I agree with this post, but with a side note that the assumption of climbing boots dropping to 60k will determine if it will happen. If they drop to 45k without a lot of them being alched before that point, there will be a lot of boots alched causing more money to enter.

But yeah, the biggest effects will come from players suddenly buying a lot of items they suspect will rise, which will rise ecause of that.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

except that there will be basically 0 demand and huge supply, rune boots are now better and cheaper.

So Rune and Addy boots will be going up in price? Awesome, means I make more money doing slayer.

There will be a demand for them once the prices of the other boots raise in price. Wouldn't surprise me if addy boots climb to 30-40k or so, and rune boots to >100k. With people alching them the supply goes down and over time the demand will go up.

Why didn't they just keep the high/low alch value of the boots really low?

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

We suffered inflation because of artifacts from PvP, now comes another one. Jagex should seriously fire the idiot who suggested the idea. This is just crap. And the reason for the change? How stupid.

Now PvPers and others who use climbing boots have to pay up alot to get their boots.

1) Attacked the economy

2) Attacked Pkers

Result:

Unfair wealth for many, and higher price for boots for those who need it.

Why didn't they just keep the high/low alch value of the boots really low?

Because that would've been smart.

Alch values are related to shop price.

Well clearly that method is flawed then yes?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

this can go both ways:

1. People high alch boots = inflation (creation of new money)

2. People buy/sell through ge = deflation (money from other markets moves into boots, that prior to this update had no value)

Let's see how the climbing boot pking scene changes. If people continue using them and dying with them, and few alch, this might overall be a deflationary measure

Or 3. You can sell them to the guy noted for same price as the alch, meaning you can sell over 100 per click. Which also causes mass inflation.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

I am seriously wondering what is happening right now... Has an evil WoW game designer snuck itself into Jagex, and tried to ruin the game?

Right now, I don't even feel like playing. At all. Jagex has just done one big fluke after another. Sure, they've had a few good updates... Like uhm. Elemental Workshop 3, the puzzle was great! Except for being really slow moving pieces... And of course, who can forget the uhm. Is my memory just bad or are there really no good updates? :x

I've gotten so tired of all this, especially this update which gives a select few a good amount of cash. I might as well just use my cash to buy junk, and become a billionare when I get back...

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Lol, I never bother with Climbing boots. But I deal with addy boots since its only a 1 str difference and way easier to get. This update should be good for me since addy boot prices will be affected now ;) Hurray for pk return sets.

120dgl.jpg

Name the last item that got changed by over 5000% and THEN you can say that it worked well for other items. This is the first time this has happened. Even vials were changed far less.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I don't really care, or perhaps I don't play enough to care. Or perhaps I have enough money not to care...hmmm. :smile:

If the economy is affected as the theory says, then your money value will go down...

I don't think people understand how big this is. If people have seen the RS wiki picture, then they know that some people have over 400k climbing boots. Sell these to shops or alch them all, and you've got a figure over one trillion (might be a lot bigger than this, the number I got was huge). This is just one person. Obviously not everyone is going to have 400k climbing boots, but most pk'ers will have 100+ possibly 1000+. That's 4.5 - 45 mil each. We need a rollback or the economy is going to be truly messed up for a while.

Edit: Sorry worked it out wrong on the ole calculator. The 400k climbing boots would work out to around 18 billion at 45k (alch value each). Still massive.

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

The maximum amount of cash a person can have in one pile is 2.147 billion. 404,000 x 75,000 (the maximum a person could get) is around 30.3 billion. The cash would therefore only exist as items taken out of the game (the point of selling the items is negated until the person uses up enough of the remaining 2.147 billion cash pile. The only real purpose this could serve to that person is get them 99 in all buyables, a lot of rares and an insane cash pile. The short term effect is that rares go up in price (assuming that they are all bought in the GE) and someone gets a lot of money. The long term effect? A lot of rares are effectively taken out of the game.

I'm not sure how much I'm gonna contribute, but here's my 2 cents:

Jagex took an item with no real value at all that was only used because it had decent stats compared to its cost and requirements (most pures do the quest anyway or was it for the boots, not into pures, don't know) and made it go from 200 or so to 75k. WHO WOULD BUY THE BOOTS FOR 75K? Tenzig wasn't THAT far away and they were relatively easy to get. Maybe some were sold at higher price when someone REALLY needed it, that would be same to put law runes to 10k each as some people stand somewhere stranded and yell that they are buying laws for 10k (in that time they would have walked to that destination anyway).

Inflation- making money less worth doesn't help anyone, lower levels will lose their hard-earned money and won't get that back that easily as high-leveled boss hunters who negate the effects of inflation with a drop worth more than a mil, but the high-leveled players usually have bigger piles of cash, which means more money lost.

Also, as already stated, some supplies will be bought out by those who gained millions, maybe even billions with this update and I recon that, if no rollback or other update-negating event occurs, in a week or even less, dragon bones, herbs, crafting supplies and other raw materials will rise in price but the supply will be too small to be able to provide raw materials.

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009