Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

Name the last item that got changed by over 5000% and THEN you can say that it worked well for other items. This is the first time this has happened. Even vials were changed far less.

actually, granite, but noone banked granite before the update. That was a terrible update aswell(people mining for 2.5m junk an hour).

hobgoblin, you can have many cash piles and can store cash in alchable items like dragon meds etc.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hobgoblin, you can have many cash piles and can store cash in alchable items like dragon meds etc.

I know. Chessy018 did it with 3A in the G.E. I was going under the basis that the person would want to maximise the amount of cash (i.e. Invest in rares which are pretty much only going to gain value). It's not a very well thought out argument by me, but I just thought I'd add something.

Name the last item that got changed by over 5000% and THEN you can say that it worked well for other items. This is the first time this has happened. Even vials were changed far less.

I'm not sure what manual intervention on the exchange has to do with alchemy values being tied to shop prices.

It has everything to do with it. The high alch -> shop price ratio works fine UNTIL 1 or more factors decided upon before the item was first released is changed, without changing the others. Lets use barrelchest anchor as an item, but assume you can sell to shop. Say you could get multiple BCA, and they cost 100k each. They alch for 75k, and the shop buy price is 50k. Now lets say Jagex changes the price to buy these items to 25k. You buy, alch, and profit. In order to prevent this, Jagex would either need to change the alch price and shop price, or prevent you from selling/alching this item. If they didn't change how the shop-> high alch ratio worked, or how the item interacts with these then the economy would be messed up.

The opposite happened here, although the same principle. A low value item was inflated, along with its shop and alch price, several thousand percent. Although you can no longer buy new items for the same old price, the item is now worth far far more. Jagex should have fixed how this item was sold to stores, alched, or the price of both of these.

Same basic principle. When one of these factors is changed (Buy price, alch price, shop price, and the item in game already) The others should be as well. Essentially, a low priced item shouldn't suddenly be given a high alch and shop price.

This wouldn't have been a problem, or as much of one, if Jagex had made the price more reasonable. 5k maybe, 10k MAX, with a 2-3k alch price at the MOST. Changing a ~100 GP item into a ~45k item isn't right.

Not to mention the very simple fact that Jagex can make exceptions to the store:high alch ratio.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

actually, granite, but noone banked granite before the update. That was a terrible update aswell(people mining for 2.5m junk an hour).

True, but IIRC granite was terribly under priced before.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It really has shocked me this update, normally we see some sort of motive with jagex, I mean removal of Wildy is a potent example, we had this to stop RWT it was unpopular but it HAD a reason for them to carry it out. The raise to 75k has effectively just made a few select hoarders very rich, in fact I see no reason for this to occur, they didn't hurt anyone costing only (100gp)? and the community never raised a question

The truth of this is, that Jagex have basically trolled us all with a pointless update which has simply caused irritation to the masses of us, no one wants to see this update, except a few and those apathetic enough to go 'Idc lul i dont Pks anyway..'

6660_6.jpg

Hold onto your rares boys. :rolleyes: I'll be withdrawing my santa that's been trying to sell for 126m for 2 months. :rolleyes:

Makes me feel stupid for not buying a bunch of rare stuff before my members ran out.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Tenzig wasn't THAT far away and they were relatively easy to get.

This reminds me of something about a monkey in varrock selling dragon scimitars...

The difference is instead of moving tenzing next to the grand exchange, they took his product and made it cost 6250 times more. (And that number is correct, as climbing boots cost 12 gp from him before.)

Most of you are overstating the effect this is going to have on anything.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, I agree with Sly. After doing a bit of research, I discovered that the two biggest P2P clans, RoT and Brut, don't even use climbing boots. They use colored boots, for the most part. Also, say the total amount of GP brought in by this is 1b. It might cause a short-term spike in prices because of manipulators and panic buyers, but consider how much gold exists in the game. Even 1b is a very minuscule percentage of the overall economy. The reason PvP artifacts created so much inflation is because hundreds of millions (or more) were entering the game EACH DAY. This update may have created a large amount of gold, but it was a one-time event, which means the effects of it will quickly abate.

td2sig.jpg

Most of you are overstating the effect this is going to have on anything.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, I agree with Sly. After doing a bit of research, I discovered that the two biggest P2P clans, RoT and Brut, don't even use climbing boots. They use colored boots, for the most part. Also, say the total amount of GP brought in by this is 1b. It might cause a short-term spike in prices because of manipulators and panic buyers, but consider how much gold exists in the game. Even 1b is a very minuscule percentage of the overall economy. The reason PvP artifacts created so much inflation is because hundreds of millions (or more) were entering the game EACH DAY. This update may have created a large amount of gold, but it was a one-time event, which means the effects of it will quickly abate.

It should be a lot more than 1 bil. The guy with 400k pairs alone had over 18 bil's worth.

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

True, but IIRC granite was terribly under priced before.

Not really, they just changed the mechanics of how granite worked(cutting up larger pieces) but never bothered to change the ge prices or forsee the forthcoming effect, a rookie mistake. This is just plain kindergarden stuff... The worst isn't what they did but how they(namely mod mark) justified it. He might aswell said that he doesn't play the game and not care what his employees are up to(which he did, he just used some fancy words for it).

This flooded money into the game with no justification, no reasoning, thanks to a shop vendor who would buy them at an inflated price and an exorbitant alch price.

Kind of like when they brought in pure rune essence, which sold for much higher prices than rune essence had in the recent past?

No, this is not true. The price of Rune Essence (now Pure Essence) rose, but there wasn't any new money in the economy. The total amount of money stayed the same, you just had to pay more you your cashpile, meaning money was spreading faster, but there wasn't new money. With this 'update', there are billions that come flooding in te economy at the same time: New money. This might cause massive inflation. The Pure Essence update can't be compared to this at all imo.

Unlike many other GE-price changes, this brings new money in the economy because of the higher alch/sell price. It can be compared to the PvP-drop table change, which also caused more money to come and increased prices of whips and such.

This will cause an inflation in the long run. Just look at the discontinued part of the forum. That place has always been pathetic imo, but now it's worse than pathetic. It should be put to sleep. That market is completely fudged up.

Other prices will rise: Rare armour, food, supplies for 99-skills.

In the past, there were unlimited shop supplies which could take a lot of money out of the economy. Not anymore!

I really hope Jagex will put rares and supplies in the GE to drain a lot of money, but that'll sadly never happen.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

I was somewhat fedup so I made a little topic on the RSOF: 15-16-783-61187426

I'm not sure if Jagex really takes anything from them, but any replies on it are greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Well, I did used to use climbing boots in places where a chance of death was high...

Now, once I'm out of them, I'm out. :rolleyes:

Lottery time for some noobs , no reason to cry about it though.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Well, I did used to use climbing boots in places where a chance of death was high...

Your cashpile got ~5% smaller. Congratz. Glad you like being robbed.

This, a one time event is nothing compared to the inflation statuette caused. If it unfair? Yes it is. Is it a mistake? I also think so. Will it ruin RS economy and game enjoyment? Hell no. Armours will prob raise a bit, rares might see a big jump in price, but it will even out in a few weeks/ months.

No reason to panic really.

I'm not sure if Jagex really takes anything from them, but any replies on it are greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

That was you? I thought it was very well thought out and very well written. I agree with you completely

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Is it a mistake? I also think so.

Its not, they are and were aware of the consequences and now they and we have to live with them. ;)

At this rate, il be expecting to see green masks hit 500m each sometime next year if not earlier with more updates like these. :thumbup:

Yet again, most of you are seriously overstating the number of people who have large amounts of climbing boots in their banks. For the most part, climbing boots weren't as common a PK'ing item as some people here seem to believe, generally relegated to low level pures, as most people used addy/rune/dragon boots whilst PK'ing. That guy who has 404K climbing boots is an anomaly. I can assure you that the avid PK'er probably has nowhere near that many, probably less then ten or so, if that, as very few people picked them up if they did happen to PK someone (They were about 20'ish gold from Tenzig, iirc).

I feel comfortable in saying that this will have no effect long-term on the Runescape economy. The only reason it'll have some effect short-term is because of people making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.

Yet again, most of you are seriously overstating the number of people who have large amounts of climbing boots in their banks. For the most part, climbing boots weren't as common a PK'ing item as some people here seem to believe, generally relegated to low level pures, as most people used addy/rune/dragon boots whilst PK'ing. That guy who has 404K climbing boots is an anomaly. I can assure you that the avid PK'er probably has nowhere near that many, probably less then ten or so, if that, as very few people picked them up if they did happen to PK someone (They were about 20'ish gold from Tenzig, iirc).

I feel comfortable in saying that this will have no effect long-term on the Runescape economy. The only reason it'll have some effect short-term is because of people making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.

lol, there equal in strength bonus to rune and they cost 212 gp, who would have used rune? nobody. They also beat dragon if you dont want to hybrid with alot of switches.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Extremely well written. It sums up what many want really well.

And people saying it has no long-term effect: Most likely true, but pretty much every update has no long-term effect.

There's a lot of inflation from time to time in Runescape, and Jagex shouldn't help with that. Even if it is relatively short-term.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]