Tip.it Now Rated as Platinum Fansite!

InfamousDuck

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enforcing jagex rules: for some odd reason, these have been enforced a lot more closely than before. That's something i haven't appreciated because it limits the discussion value, and community value of tip.it (and all the other platinum sites).

Jagex rules have ALWAYS been strictly enforced. No changes have been made and certainly not at the urging of Jagex.

I don't doubt Jagex has anything to do with it. However, personally, I do feel some things have changed since Jagex started re-endorsing fansites. Either that's a change in ideology in tip.it, or it's accomplishing the existing ideology more thoroughly. Either way, i don't like it.

Topics that have been leaked by trusted, verifiable sources should not be removed from tip.it. (7 day trial recently comes to mind). Releasing information that isn't available on www.runescape.com is the entire imperative of a fansite: exp gained, quests solved, guides, databases and the freshest and finest in what future updates have to hold. It's not being a crystal ball: it's being updated and discussing what we as informed runescapians care about.

That is giving a directly worse service to the tip.it community to adhere to jagex rules. That's not what I would like to see from tip.it, be it jagex that wants it that way or the tip.it staff.

I have noticed stricter moderating in the past several months than I have in the first 3 years I've been a member of these boards. I never talked to a tip.it moderator for 3 years either until this year. I understand tip.it wants to have Jagex's blessings but I also don't see the forums getting anything in exchange other than not being filtered in-game which was never really a problem to begin with.

Low_C.png

Again I stress any apparent change in moderating style has to do more so with the change of staff over the years and has absolutely nothing to do with this platinum level. Even before Jagex reached out to fansites, we had the same policies in place (such as not leaving leaked inbox messages on the forums).

If you do have any complains about specific rules or past moderation actions, I do urge you to get in touch with an administrator and seeing if they can help you.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Nice to see us go Platinum. I've always preferred Tip.it over anything else. Now how this is only being found out by me now is what surprises me. :razz:

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Why should we be thanking them? As the first runescape fansite it should be our right not privelage to get respect. And plus this means more trigger happiness

I agree. If they can't appreciate us for being their most loyal and longest-lasting fansite, screw them. They have no business telling us what we can and can not advertise.

I'm glad the MMO that I play now is run by college students who don't care about making money, and the game's pretty good too. Hell, their community is at least twenty times better than that of Runescape's.

I have noticed stricter moderating in the past several months than I have in the first 3 years I've been a member of these boards. I never talked to a tip.it moderator for 3 years either until this year.

They're only a little stricter in the Runescape boards. In off-topic and everywhere else, the mods/admins are actually more lenient.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

YAY for being awesome. I knew we would get it... eventually... :thumbup:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Again I stress any apparent change in moderating style has to do more so with the change of staff over the years and has absolutely nothing to do with this platinum level. Even before Jagex reached out to fansites, we had the same policies in place (such as not leaving leaked inbox messages on the forums).

If you do have any complains about specific rules or past moderation actions, I do urge you to get in touch with an administrator and seeing if they can help you.

Congratulations!!!

So now that we have the platinum, can you be less strict about the rules again?

This is the only and same complaint coming over and over again... :razz:

Wooohooo!! Platinum!! *runs off to advertise Tip.It to fellow RS'ers* :wink:

I'm glad the MMO that I play now is run by college students who don't care about making money, and the game's pretty good too. Hell, their community is at least twenty times better than that of Runescape's.

Not entirely sure I agree with all of that, but isn't that how RuneScape started out... :?:

Um, also... If we went by what you basically just said, which isn't exactly false, then Tip.it getting a platinum status is a bad thing. Clearly, when a community expands there will be additional "good" and "bad" individuals, but the "bad" individuals are either greater in number or more vocal, or even both. If I were to agree that the community used to be better before RuneScape became more accessible (read: expanded) then I would also be inclined to agree that Tip.it gaining a higher level of official trust, and therefore advertisement and endorsement, and therefore attracting a greater amount of people, who, based on RuneScape's state, would include more "bad" individuals than "good" would lessen Tip.it more. On the other hand, being incredibly close-knit is nearly just as bad, because when a desirable individual comes along, they'd be likely to be shunned, because of a natural fear of the unknown. Of course meaning that rather than there being a lot more bad seeds, the individuals simply aren't known by the power-holding original cast and those originals are naturally inclined to push them away. Mmmm! Musings.

Oh, it still stings a bit that we can't post RSCache pictures or discussions. It really is a gray area, but to avoid stepping on JaGEx's toes, moderators here will be *inclined* (perhaps even subconsciously) to place it in the "black area" regardless of any inherent discussion value the 'Cache may have pertaining to future updates. And the same will happen to absolutely anything questionable, unfortunately. You know, I actually posted a thread that was answered and locked by a J-Mod pertaining to the RSCache in particular. To sum up what he said: "I don't know if that specifically violates our rules, but discussion of 3rd party software is not allowed! Sorry."

Oh, err.. Yay platinum!

2dgucz6.png

Thank you Administrators, staff, and the community as a whole, for doing such a great job and keeping the forums a great place! :thumbsup:

For the 5 or so years I have been using these forums, I have noticed an improvement over the moderation and forum's maturity. I remember when I would see a spammer/gold seller ad/keylogger link at least 3/5 days when I visited General Discussion. Now the moderators are quick to take down any posts. I remember topics which asked users to post their exhibitionism and other risque topics. Those have no place for a forum like this.

I can't wait for Jagex to start sharing art concepts and taking part in interviews from us.

sigcp.png

65,280 to 99 fletching on 3-14-09

40,405 to 99 woodcutting on 10-17-2009

I don't get the hate some people have for getting platinum?

If you think Tip.it is too harsh, maybe it's because you're crossing the line :rolleyes:

But who defines the line? The rules? Sure. They tell you what the line is, but who decides where the line should lie? The admin/people in charge of the line. So while I am not saying anything about anyone AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT BIAS (sorry, I just don't want my post to be misconstrued, and I know it easily can) But it would be easy to allow your personal preferences to decide how to handle someone who got near a line.

I think the problem which most are talking about, is it seems like more now than previuously, people have stuck to the letter of the law, instead of the spirit of the law. And the accusers relate this to our platinum status. Example:

"lmao i bot nd tell people im jagex to make them freak out"

Maybe a couple years ago that might not have deserved a warning, since its quite obvious that despite the fact that "technically" they are breaking the rules, its all in good fun, and no one is hurt.

However, a post like that now-a-days would most certainly warrant a warning. Now I personally am not going to say why I think that, because I don't know the inner workings of Tip, despite being since 03, so I'd probably look like an idiot to say why I think thats happened XD.

Anyways, people attribute the stricter actions upon rule breakers to our status as a supported fansite. Implying correlation equals causation, which of course it does not. Now, I am not saying this to offend anyone, nor am I saying it to anyone in particular. But... I think the person deciding the bans/warnings/etc. Could do a tad better job with feeling the spirit of the law, not the letter. HOWEVER ! (lol) As stated previously, I don't know how the old process works, so perhaps they are doing everything right, I just have seen some unjust punishments in the past. With the admins unwilling to reconcile (not my account mind you.)

To be honest, since I was once muted on Saruman44 for saying Tip.It I do like this supported fansite thingie :) (And no I don't think the stricter interpretations of the law are correlated to the fansite status,) however I do believe they have become stricter. This might be due to the increase population of the forum, not sure. But the community has changed, for good, or for bad is subjective. But still... I'm tired. Ima go to bed... Sorry for an incoherent post...

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I'll have to say (and by doing so essentially support both sides of the argument) that it is nice that we have the perk of being able to say Tip.it in-game without fears of having repercussions against us, but at the same time it's kind of devaluing that as one of the longest fan sites we didn't have this perk at the beginning. Like Saruman said, I'm sure there's been many people who've been muted in the past simply for maybe telling someone to visit this site for some help. It's been long overdue, but at least we have that benefit now - and who knows, maybe more in the future :mrgreen:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I dunno about the strict part of Runescape, but their forums aren't.

I was perm banned in 2005 for something I didn't commit (a friend managed to get my pass and spammed "I'll buy it" on every rare topic) AND I had immense evidence. These days you have literally kids bad-mouthing everyone, swearing, insulting and god-knows what on the RSOF and all that happens is a slap on the wrist and the topic locked. I wont ever consider RS/Jagex to be approachable until that unfair ban has been lifted.

As for Platinum, Awesome job. I'd like to think us Crewbies helped out.... just a little bit. ;) :thumbup:

As for the parts mentioned about us learning the rewards very quickly etc with new quests etc, Us crew like to ninja the information "In Game" so that the users can access it quickly and efficiently if they wish to.

and never believe in the RS Knowledge Base, by god they dont even correct their own errors. :lol:

Popoto.~<3

I'm not impressed. By no fault of Tip.it itself, this list is a mockery of proper community management. Giving fansites access to information/concept art/interviews should be a showing that you aren't just some faceless corporation making a game, that you are in tune with your game's players, but asking any fansite wishing to get in on these perks to adhere to some kind of ridiculous rules is a step in the exact opposite direction. The way I see it, no congratulations are in order here. If its as the Administrators here say and nothing was changed in an attempt to become a Platinum fansite, than they should have been Platinum in the first place, however if changes in ideals were made just to get on top of some pointless list, than you've lost any respectability you had. Either way, this list is a joke, and it means nothing whatsoever for the sites that are on it. You can quote me on that.

I can't even joke on these forums anymore without getting a warning

Being a member for over a year then all in 2 months getting up to a ban is pretty good evidence imo

In this respect you're completely wrong. Becoming not only a notable troll, but a notable jackass kind of puts a target on your back. Seeing as you tend to piss everyone off in one way or another I can see why you're nearing a well deserved ban. You'll have to remember, the moderators here aren't emotionless modding machines, if you make one angry enough, you can be sure they'll jump on the opportunity to punish you.

In regards to that as well, the moderation here should be stepped up a bit. I'm tired of seeing the same memes spouted over and over throughout these forums. Every time I see a post like this its like seeing a perfectly good opportunity for discussion thrown into a black hole by some idiot who thinks hes being funny. I'm not saying Tip.it should be devoid of humor either, but maybe try being funny on your own, rather than repeating some idiot comment you've heard a million other people say.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

If its as the Administrators here say and nothing was changed in an attempt to become a Platinum fansite, than they should have been Platinum in the first place, however if changes in ideals were made just to get on top of some pointless list, than you've lost any respectability you had.

No changes in "ideals" were made. The ONLY change that was made was the removal of advertisements for other games, which had zero affect on us. It was a painless, effortless, nearly unnoticeable change that was made. We would never change/compromise our ideals, integrity or the way the community is run if it were asked of us. For instance, if we were asked to remove any user discussion of other games (i.e. our Video Games & Consoles forum), we would not comply with that. We made one completely harmless change for Jagex that has zero affect on our site or our users in exchange for some benefits. So while some of you may view it as "kissing Jagex's ass," it certainly is not. As long as the change was painless and had zero affect (positive or negative) on our website/community, I see no reason why we should not have gone through with it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

If its as the Administrators here say and nothing was changed in an attempt to become a Platinum fansite, than they should have been Platinum in the first place, however if changes in ideals were made just to get on top of some pointless list, than you've lost any respectability you had.

No changes in "ideals" were made. The ONLY change that was made was the removal of advertisements for other games, which had zero affect on us. It was a painless, effortless, nearly unnoticeable change that was made. We would never change/compromise our ideals, integrity or the way the community is run if it were asked of us. For instance, if we were asked to remove any user discussion of other games (i.e. our Video Games & Consoles forum), we would not comply with that. We made one completely harmless change for Jagex that has zero affect on our site or our users in exchange for some benefits. So while some of you may view it as "kissing Jagex's ass," it certainly is not. As long as the change was painless and had zero affect (positive or negative) on our website/community, I see no reason why we should not have gone through with it.

I never did say that you changed anything at all. Only that if you had, it wouldn't have been something to be proud of. Don't become so defensive that you can't handle a simple comment.

Walkman1022.jpeg

I never did say that you changed anything at all. Only that if you had, it wouldn't have been something to be proud of. Don't become so defensive that you can't handle a simple comment.

I wasn't being defensive. Your post sounded like you had some doubts so I was just making a clarification. I thought you were doubting the changes we had to make rather than being hypothetical. Sorry for any confusion.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I wasn't being defensive. Your post sounded like you had some doubts so I was just making a clarification. I thought you were doubting the changes we had to make rather than being hypothetical. Sorry for any confusion.

Oh, I understand. Than I'll remove a bit of my previous post that I just edited in.

Walkman1022.jpeg

Tip.it should've been there in the first place, if you ask me. The community's a lot better (definitely more mature) than Sal's Realm's.

Edit: As for that ad discussion, I'm sure most people, such as myself, have them blocked, although if tip.it would need money for keeping the site up I wouldn't mind to allot a few bucks a month.

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

Have some users never been to the forums on the Runescape site?

It's quite clear that there's always been a stricter level of forum modding on tip.it than over there.

There's plenty of threads which get left over there which would be locked over here.

That's why quite a lot of people post of here, the stricter levels of modding mean there's less spam and posts from idiots, so some real discussion can happen easier.

It's quite clear to me the level of strictness of modding is the choice of tip.it (rather than because Jagex has told them to act this way) and if people don't like it they've chosen the wrong forums.

I also think some of the comments against Tip.it on this thread are showing a level of immaturity.

Do you really live your life with the philosophy of never ever do anything that someone would quite like you to, for fear of being a "brownnoser"? - Even if it's not any hastle to be co-operative.

That attitude can be summed up as "I'm selfish because I think it's cool to be." - and is certainly not how I live my life.