Most overrated band/artist

Evil_Sabre

I made this thread a year or so ago and it got deleted when we changed forums, so I thought I'd try it again to see if people have changed their opinions.

From what I remember there were a lot of answers involving Nickelback, Dragonforce, and Fall out Boy.

Some of my personal picks would be (in no order): Nirvana, Owl City, Metallica, and Guns n Roses.

So what are some groups or artists you find everyone likes but you?

clansig7.gif

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well simply because I hate something everyone else likes doesn't mean its overrated. For example, I really dislike metallica, but I can admire what they've done for the music industry. Just... Fix that hair.

And I think the problem with Dragonforce is people take them seriously, and, well. Thats the whole problem. But in all seriousness, the most over rated band/artist? Trey Songz. Ugh.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Stupid thread. Most of the time artists that people would call overrated are those who either pioneered or popularized a new genre. Of course such artists are going to appear overrated in comparison to artists that follow them, as the following artists are focusing not on creating a new sound, but on perfecting an old sound. The other instance in which one might consider an artist overrated is simply because the person doesn't particularly appreciate the type of music they play. In that case, it's not so much to do with the artist's ability as it is to do with the subjective genre preference of the listener. So again, stupid thread.

Cool.

Stupid thread. Most of the time artists that people would call overrated are those who either pioneered or popularized a new genre. Of course such artists are going to appear overrated in comparison to artists that follow them, as the following artists are focusing not on creating a new sound, but on perfecting an old sound. The other instance in which one might consider an artist overrated is simply because the person doesn't particularly appreciate the type of music they play. In that case, it's not so much to do with the artist's ability as it is to do with the subjective genre preference of the listener. So again, stupid thread.

Thrilling novel you have there.

Pointless post. Most of the time people who call threads stupid are only wasting their time, as the threads that are stupid will most likely not get replies and will soon be bumped off the page. The other instance in which one might consider a thread stupid is one which a mod has already locked, or will lock sometime in the near future. So again, pointless post.

clansig7.gif

Natural Snow Buildings. Yeah, stop circlejerking. This stuff is hopelessly mediocre.

Also, Have a Nice Life and countless other "deep" bands that "intellectuals" seem to enjoy trying to find some hidden meaning out of.

Like Tool? :mrgreen:

Who cares if this is all subjective and whatnot? It could be interesting to see who has what opinion.

Nirvana

Paramore

Buckcherry

Nickelback

Fall Out Boy

Metallica

Blink 182

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Guns N Roses

Muse

Coldplay

Pearl Jam

AC/DC

80s metal...

3oh!3

Dave Mathews Band

Weezer

John Mayer :wall:

Taylor Swift

Panic at the Disco

That is all.

Natural Snow Buildings. Yeah, stop circlejerking. This stuff is hopelessly mediocre.

Also, Have a Nice Life and countless other "deep" bands that "intellectuals" seem to enjoy trying to find some hidden meaning out of.

Like Tool? :mrgreen:

Who cares if this is all subjective and whatnot? It could be interesting to see who has what opinion.

Tool doesn't really attract the types that I'm talking about - but I would daresay that a few of them do start out as Tool fans. Then they discover Last.fm, RateYourMusic and a certain few music blogs and everything kind of kicks off. They're quite pretentious and annoying to be around.

Tool is for tools.

I think a lot of people are drawn to Tool solely because they aren't traditional and that's the spirit of rock. What drew me in was their take on the whole "heavy" sound. I really can't stand how most bands implement heaviness. Most of them just take it too far making it too husky and leaving no room for melody. For me, Tool is one of the only ones who seems to be doing it right. Some good examples are the endings of Parabola and No Quarter. Don't get me wrong though - there are a lot of Tool songs that would make me rather listen to The Beatlers.

John Mayer :wall:

Agreed, seems to me like all of his songs are mumbling and overly repetitive choruses.

I could say Nickelback and the like are overrated but a lot of people properly think they suck, so it's not necessary. Can't think of any other bands at the moment.

Pearl Jam

U2

RadioHead

Interpol

they just aren't that incredible icon_e_confused.gif

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Tool doesn't really attract the types that I'm talking about - but I would daresay that a few of them do start out as Tool fans. Then they discover Last.fm, RateYourMusic and a certain few music blogs and everything kind of kicks off. They're quite pretentious and annoying to be around.

I hate the kids that can't find music on their own and have to use last.fm to get it. I usually end up hating the bands that they suggest anyways. And I'm trying my best to not post a pro-Tool paragraph :grin:

Bands I hate that all of you probably love and by no means do the following statements have any personal relevance to any one of you so please don't freak out when I call your favorite artist terrible. You are the one that came on the "Most overrated band/artist" thread in the first place:

Nirvana---Kurt Cobain couldn't even stay alive to take care of his own daughter. Addict piece of garbage. I don't care how "deep" your lyrics are, your voice still sounds like you're taking a dump. Not to mention that his martyrdom led to the spawning of hundreds of other singers like Shaun Morgan of Seether and 1 in 3 other 2000s mainstream rock vocalists.

The Beatles---Blah blah we're on acid and can't play worth a [cabbage] live blah blah. That's all I hear on their albums.

Rush---I'm a drummer and I'm even beginning to think these guys are overrated. Now they're not garbage, but their stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I could go on for hours about all the bands I hate. Pick anything that came out in the last 10 years and I'll probably hate it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Thrilling novel you have there.

Pointless post. Most of the time people who call threads stupid are only wasting their time, as the threads that are stupid will most likely not get replies and will soon be bumped off the page. The other instance in which one might consider a thread stupid is one which a mod has already locked, or will lock sometime in the near future. So again, pointless post.

Haha, right. I think your confusing stupid threads with unpopular threads. I have no doubt this thread is going to get replies, and it doesn't constitutes something worth locking. Regardless, the point still remains that this thread is just a place for people to bash artists, and while some discussion may be generated it really has nothing to do with the merits of the thread but on the quality of the few posters who will generate discussion here.

Cool.

I hate the kids that can't find music on their own and have to use last.fm to get it. I usually end up hating the bands that they suggest anyways. And I'm trying my best to not post a pro-Tool paragraph :grin:

Bands I hate that all of you probably love and by no means do the following statements have any personal relevance to any one of you so please don't freak out when I call your favorite artist terrible. You are the one that came on the "Most overrated band/artist" thread in the first place:

Nirvana---Kurt Cobain couldn't even stay alive to take care of his own daughter. Addict piece of garbage. I don't care how "deep" your lyrics are, your voice still sounds like you're taking a dump. Not to mention that his martyrdom led to the spawning of hundreds of other singers like Shaun Morgan of Seether and 1 in 3 other 2000s mainstream rock vocalists.

The Beatles---Blah blah we're on acid and can't play worth a [cabbage] live blah blah. That's all I hear on their albums.

Rush---I'm a drummer and I'm even beginning to think these guys are overrated. Now they're not garbage, but their stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I could go on for hours about all the bands I hate. Pick anything that came out in the last 10 years and I'll probably hate it.

agreed.

Though I love Muse :( And 3oh!3 :( rofl.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

:lol:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

:lol:

:lol: x2

The only band I can really think off the top of my head is Tool. Too many people trying to find "deep" meanings in them. Don't get me wrong they aren't an awful band but people hype them too much for just being another rock band.

I actually really like Have a Nice Life even though I've never bothered to read the lyrics (nor the 75 page booklet :mellow:) :P

Most punkrock and stuff like that (the offspring sum41 and more of that) is really overrated, the songs are all the same and they usually have some fake happy sound to them.

And yeah I never really liked Tool, mostly because I couldn't care less if something is deep.

2dvjurb.png

Nirvana are pretty overrated. I still quite like them but i don't like all the hype and whatnot thats placed on Kurt Cobain.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction