Most overrated band/artist

Evil_Sabre

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nirvana, the Who.

No, the Beatles were not overrated if you look at them in the context of their time; they changed music forever. I'm not even a Beatles fan and I can understand that.

So did The Who. I don't think that has anything to do with them being overrated or not. I'm sick of hearing The Beatles everywhere I go. I mean, I don't think they're that horrible, just not good enough to be played as much as your average person wants them to be played. But then again, the thing with The Beatles is that they have sooo much music that everyone is bound to like at least one or two of their songs. Their music is applicable to many different generations and types of people, so I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise to me that they're so popular.

Nirvana (ish)

Guns N Roses

Pearl Jam

AC/DC

80s metal...

The problem with saying these bands are overrated is that you weren't there at the time they were created. The concepts that were new at the time aren't really new anymore, they're nothing outstanding. That's sort of like saying the Beatles are overrated. They weren't when they were first releasing songs.

I hate the kids that can't find music on their own and have to use last.fm to get it.

I don't use last.fm, but wtf? How is there a better way to find music, efficiency aside?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I hate the kids that can't find music on their own and have to use last.fm to get it.

I don't use last.fm, but wtf? How is there a better way to find music, efficiency aside?

I guess to be fair there isn't anything wrong with using last.fm but to me it just feels like cheating. Every artist is spoon fed to you by your previous selections of music. It's like "Hey, you like this band, well you MUST like this band." Last.fm is good if you just want to listen to the same sounding stuff over and over again. For me, I look up artists on Wikipedia to see who they collaborated with, who their producer was, who else that producer has produced, and maybe I'll find a new artist that I like. I guess I just find music my own convoluted way.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

So did The Who. I don't think that has anything to do with them being overrated or not. I'm sick of hearing The Beatles everywhere I go. I mean, I don't think they're that horrible, just not good enough to be played as much as your average person wants them to be played. But then again, the thing with The Beatles is that they have sooo much music that everyone is bound to like at least one or two of their songs. Their music is applicable to many different generations and types of people, so I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise to me that they're so popular.

No. The Who did nothing to influence and change music compared to the Beatles (even though I hate the Beatles). They're awesome and I love them, but The Who just played rock 'n' roll. While the Beatles were introspecting and becoming better artists, The Who was busy smashing their guitars and destroying their equipment.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

For me, I look up artists on Wikipedia to see who they collaborated with, who their producer was, who else that producer has produced, and maybe I'll find a new artist that I like. I guess I just find music my own convoluted way.

What do you think Lastfm's suggestions are (partly) based on? Lastfm, wikipedia, it all comes down to the same thing.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

The Who was busy smashing their guitars and destroying their equipment.

Yeah, exactly. There are so many bands that have been inspired by The Who's vivacious rock style. Of course they didn't make as big of an impact as The Beatles, but there are many other bands who caused music to evolve. Black Sabbath is another one.

The Who was busy smashing their guitars and destroying their equipment.

Yeah, exactly. There are so many bands that have been inspired by The Who's vivacious rock style. Of course they didn't make as big of an impact as The Beatles, but there are many other bands who caused music to evolve. Black Sabbath is another one.

Maybe inspired, but surely not influenced musically and artistically. That is a huge difference.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

I guess to be fair there isn't anything wrong with using last.fm but to me it just feels like cheating. Every artist is spoon fed to you by your previous selections of music. It's like "Hey, you like this band, well you MUST like this band." Last.fm is good if you just want to listen to the same sounding stuff over and over again. For me, I look up artists on Wikipedia to see who they collaborated with, who their producer was, who else that producer has produced, and maybe I'll find a new artist that I like. I guess I just find music my own convoluted way.

You're thinking way too much. Music is made to be enjoyed. It's not a competition, there's no cheating.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Agreed with Harrinator. Don't be so frustrated, Range. :thumbup:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Nirvana (ish)

Guns N Roses

Pearl Jam

AC/DC

80s metal...

The problem with saying these bands are overrated is that you weren't there at the time they were created. The concepts that were new at the time aren't really new anymore, they're nothing outstanding. That's sort of like saying the Beatles are overrated. They weren't when they were first releasing songs.

I guess you're right, but I still feel like they have more fans than they deserve.

overrated artist.....Lil Wayne. he doesn't write his own material, and half of his songs arent even good. also, auto tune loser. now, the same could be said for many of today's artists, but i think that in the Rap genre, the biggest part is writing your own stuff because it's meaningful to you, and not about some ass you couldnt get because you were a [kitty] and didnt go get it. REAL rap that doesn't suck and is sadly overshadowed by today's BS includes stuff by Biggie, 2PAC, Eminem, Big L, Nas, Jay Z (old stuff), Rakim, Dre, etc.

overrated band.....Jonas Brothers. i dont need to hear [cabbage]ty guitar playing with [bleep]y vocals. and the disney channel [cabbage] along with those [bleep]ing 10 year old girls dont help either.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

overrated artist.....Lil Wayne. he doesn't write his own material, and half of his songs arent even good. also, auto tune loser. now, the same could be said for many of today's artists, but i think that in the Rap genre, the biggest part is writing your own stuff because it's meaningful to you, and not about some ass you couldnt get because you were a [kitty] and didnt go get it. REAL rap that doesn't suck and is sadly overshadowed by today's BS includes stuff by Biggie, 2PAC, Eminem, Big L, Nas, Jay Z (old stuff), Rakim, Dre, etc.

overrated band.....Jonas Brothers. i dont need to hear [cabbage]ty guitar playing with [bleep]y vocals. and the disney channel [cabbage] along with those [bleep]ing 10 year old girls dont help either.

I think you're confusing "bad" and "overrated" here.

And I very much dislike the beatles, yet I'd be the last to call them overrated.

Nirvana I can see being overrated, just because of the massive amount of bandwagon fans.

In terms of G&R, their original lineup had phenomenal chemistry...once the first members started leaving, then I'd call them overrated. Definitely not the first album though.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The Beatles were mentioned too early IMO. :XD:

Umm, I'd say U2 first overrated, I'd definitely say that about Justin Bieber. Just from what I've read over here.

Umm, I'd say U2 first overrated.

Nah, they have splendid songs out there. But Get On Your Boots, damn, what a bland one. Thank god for Justice's healing hands.

Metallica

That is all.

BLASPHEMY!

Also all the [bleep]s like gaga/miler cyris/just biebar etc

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Metallica

That is all.

BLASPHEMY!

Good job proving his point lol.

Also most mainstream metal bands are overrated tbh, the elements that cause them to be mainstream usually really detract from the music.

2dvjurb.png

Metallica

That is all.

BLASPHEMY!

Good job proving his point lol.

Also most mainstream metal bands are overrated tbh, the elements that cause them to be mainstream usually really detract from the music.

What defines a mainstream metal band according to you? Give a couple of names so i know what you're on about.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

i think you peeps iz pickin the most popular bands and not the most overrated. it may not sound like it but there is a difference. i also think ur pickin bands u dont lyke. i lyke brittney spears, but i think shes overrated!

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

Alright, this is getting annoying. Overrated: It means the band receives an unwarranted amount of appreciation. That's completely opinionated. The word "over" implies opinion when in conjunction with "rated". (IE: My rating for The Beatles is lower than your average person's, so I am justified in saying, "I think The Beatles are overrated.") You guys seem to think it's analogous to "overflowing" or something where there is an objective point between the yes and no factor. It's actually quite funny when people say, "No, you're wrong! They're not overrated!". You are free to disagree, but saying that they are wrong about something that is purely dependent on the eye of the beholder is just stupid. The argument would be nothing more than a huge back-and-forth of yeses and nos.

Okay, let's hear your angry replies now. :)

The thread was proven useless after 5 posts. Nothing new here.

It's not the thread that's useless. I was actually interested in hearing what TIFers thought of certain bands. (I'm surprised Nirvana was mentioned as much as it was here.) It's that most people don't even know what the word means that ruins it.

Okay, let's hear your angry replies now. :)

ROID RAGE! AGHARGHAGHAGAHGAGGHHH! BANDS R POPULER BECYUZ THEY R GEWD@ ALSO [unknown local band that everyone hates] IS OVURATED!

:grin:

Yes, it's subjective. Still interesting to see which names come up.

An overrated group can still be good, it just means that they're not as good as the general public says. I'd say Metallica is overrated, but that doesn't mean I don't like them from time to time. I just don't think they deserve the title of 'best metal band EVER".