Most overrated band/artist

Evil_Sabre

Everything up to Resistance of Muse was epic. Everything after has sucked hard.

Pretty much.

~Duck

Runescape - Currently In-active and a cancelled membership due to a broken computer and a cabbage laptop!

2xBarrowsReward

1600SkillTotalReached|08/05/2010

(Previously 'Darkknightider', wow that was a bad name :p)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to [cabbage] up this thread, OP... but honestly, wouldn't a "most underrated bands/bands not many have heard of" thread be a bit more interesting? At least people could discover new music that way. This is just effortless "heh, look at me and which popular bands I DON'T LIKE". It really serves no other purpose than to annoy individuals who like those particular bands. I'm aware that I'm guilty of this as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if someone was to make a thread like that I would totally post in it.

I already did.

Click

Oh hey, I even remember that thread as well.

isn't it hard to tell when a band is underrated? most people confuse underrated with unknown, just because a band isn't mainstream or have a major label doesn't mean they are underrated. you'd have to define underrated to me. overrated music on the other hand is everywhere

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

Not trying to [cabbage] up this thread, OP... but honestly, wouldn't a "most underrated bands/bands not many have heard of" thread be a bit more interesting? At least people could discover new music that way. This is just effortless "heh, look at me and which popular bands I DON'T LIKE". It really serves no other purpose than to annoy individuals who like those particular bands. I'm aware that I'm guilty of this as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if someone was to make a thread like that I would totally post in it.

I already did.

Click

isn't it hard to tell when a band is underrated? most people confuse underrated with unknown, just because a band isn't mainstream or have a major label doesn't mean they are underrated. you'd have to define underrated to me. overrated music on the other hand is everywhere

For the purpose of the topic, underrated is defined as not getting the recognition that's deserved.

For the purpose of the topic, underrated is defined as not getting the recognition that's deserved.

Yeah. I consider Thin Lizzy one of the most underrated rock bands of all time, but they are generally pretty well known. Amusingly I couldn't be bothered to post them in the thread.

2009rb9.jpg

I already did.

Click

you're defining something complex something even more complex. what if the band doesn't want to be mainstream and only releases albums with indie labels or they're really good but lazy (i lived next door to some when i lived in california)

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

Pretty much.~Duck

First CD i picked up of Muse's was showbiz, which i thought was pretty good. It also has my fav Muse track on it, Sober.

I also bought absolution, which opened up a fresher style on the music scence at the time, but everything since then has just been overdeveloped, 'poppy', overhyped - i think they've ruined it for themselves despite their worldwide success.

Butterflies and Hurricanes is epic, and then i listened to Black holes... and i was just amazed at how toilet it sounded.

I had thought for a minute that this was just me beginning to dislike music the more it was played. I loved the first Paramore album, hated the 2nd (i didn't like it, and it was overplayed which is why i'm using it as an example) but then their new album is pretty awesome. Good job Paramore :thumbup:

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Pretty much.~Duck

First CD i picked up of Muse's was showbiz, which i thought was pretty good. It also has my fav Muse track on it, Sober.

I also bought absolution, which opened up a fresher style on the music scence at the time, but everything since then has just been overdeveloped, 'poppy', overhyped - i think they've ruined it for themselves despite their worldwide success.

Butterflies and Hurricanes is epic, and then i listened to Black holes... and i was just amazed at how toilet it sounded.

I had thought for a minute that this was just me beginning to dislike music the more it was played. I loved the first Paramore album, hated the 2nd (i didn't like it, and it was overplayed which is why i'm using it as an example) but then their new album is pretty awesome. Good job Paramore :thumbup:

Oh yeah I forgot about Butterflies and Huricanes. I'm beginning to like paramore more now, originally they annoyed me a bit and I still stand by that they are only as big as they are because they have a lead female singer.

~Duck

Runescape - Currently In-active and a cancelled membership due to a broken computer and a cabbage laptop!

2xBarrowsReward

1600SkillTotalReached|08/05/2010

(Previously 'Darkknightider', wow that was a bad name :p)

Well simply because I hate something everyone else likes doesn't mean its overrated. For example, I really dislike metallica, but I can admire what they've done for the music industry. Just... Fix that hair.

And I think the problem with Dragonforce is people take them seriously, and, well. Thats the whole problem. But in all seriousness, the most over rated band/artist? Trey Songz. Ugh.

DON'T DIS MY DRAGONFORCE.

dragonforce-rockstar-mayhem-wallpaper.jpg

I actually hate them.

Guest Mrmegakirby

DON'T DIS MY DRAGONFORCE.

Apparently they fired their singer though. So that might be good.

YES. Finally, it's about time. Through the fire and the flames, he does not carry on.

Muse, over rated... Meh. They're very good (Talent wise, I'm not a HUGE fan) but they are a bit.

Paramore... Hmm, again, they're quite good, but most of their fans like only a few songs by them.

I guess when someone doesn't know the difference between musical talent and a nice song, any band they like are overrated by them.

Lil wayne, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Drake, 3OH!3, Avenged Sevenfold, , Owl City, B.O.B and Katy Perry. Off the top of my head.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Lil wayne, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Drake, 3OH!3, Avenged Sevenfold, , Owl City, B.O.B and Katy Perry. Off the top of my head.

oMg WhAt Do YoU lIkE ???? rly cool indie things that only u no bout cuz ur cool? rly rly cool things like rly cool things? ya omfg yah!!!!!!!!!!!!

k.

-----------------

Lil Wayne and Eminem, and geniuses, lyrically, and (more on eminem's part) musically as well.

Lady Gaga has been the first in a while (while not the first in the entire genre) to fabulously mix fashion and music so perfectly.

Drake, I mean, I don't agree with you, as I can see why many like him, but he's not my cup of tea/

3oh!3. K. Don't be mad cuz you trusted a [garden tool], and got messed over. Ain't their fault.

Avenged: I've not really heard their stuff, so I won't pass judgement.

Owl City: Yea, I hate them too. But it's made for the masses, what do you expect

B.O.B.: meh, kinda agree

Katy: Always hated her, her voice just gets under my skin, like polio.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Guest Mrmegakirby
Lil Wayne and Eminem, and geniuses, lyrically, and (more on eminem's part) musically as well.

This

I just so happened to be reading it at the time. Thought it was funny that you brought it up.

Lady Gaga has been the first in a while (while not the first in the entire genre) to fabulously mix fashion and music so perfectly.

What the [bleep] ?

Did I stutter.

@ Mrmegakirby, while I'm not that big of a fan of lil wayne, I'd have to say that if the first Cracked.com article that a) didn't make me laugh, and b) I don't agree with.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

Music and fashion are two entirely different things, when you need fashion as an argument as to why the music is good theres something wrong.

That said, I do like most of her popular songs :unsure:

2dvjurb.png

In my opinion, the guitar riffs. I think thats the best part of Metallica. (Note, I've only listened to a few cliche songs such as One etc)

Metallica is a big one, I just don't see what makes them so good.

Metallica was one of the first thrash metal bands. Their first two albums were very thrash but had progressive elements here and there. Their third album, Master of Puppets (1986), ventured even further into prog (long songs, huge changes in dynamics, odd time signatures, BASS SOLO, etc), and was a HUGE deal because it was one of the first metal albums to combine all of these different musical elements into one package. No other thrash band was doing that at the time (though Megadeth was coming very close with Rust in Peace). After Cliff Burton (bassist who wrote most of their music) died, they took all of the material he had written and James Hetfield (rhythm guitarist, main songwriter) pretty much dumped all of his creativity into their fourth album, ". . . And Justice for All." This album is straight up progressive thrash metal. 10 minute songs, crazy time signatures, some poly rhythms, beautiful acoustic work, Kirk Hammet's best solos yet, etc. This, in my opinion, is their best album.

Then the Black album happened. They completely changed their sound (due in no small part to the loss of Cliff Burton and the addition of a new producer who would go on to produce every album till today). Once they started playing rock music, they hit it huge. They were already a huge band, but the Black album made them into the biggest and most famous metal band ever (until Pantera came along in the early 90s).

IMO, Metallica isn't overrated. They really were geniuses at one point. It's sad that they lost what made them so special.

EDIT:

In my opinion, the guitar riffs. I think thats the best part of Metallica. (Note, I've only listened to a few cliche songs such as One etc)

It's funny that you say that, because James Hetfield is often touted as being one of the greatest rhythm guitarists and riff-writers of all time. He can down-pick insanely fast. With the music we have today, it's easy to overlook him, but he really was the best when they were a young band. Without him, the music I listen to wouldn't even exist.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Pretty much everything on the "popular" radio stations where I live is garbage. Other than that, the Beatles were good, but not as amazing as everyone says they were. For example, the song "We are the Walrus" is just a bunch of drugged-up rambling that deserves to be hidden on a shelf, and yet I see people quoting it occasionally.

My biggest beef with the music industry is that whenever an album comes out, people choose one song to play over and over and over, and then everyone thinks that's the greatest song on the album when really it's no better than the others. Green Day's "21 Guns" is a perfect example. They come out with an album full of musical promise and a sort of storyline that reappears throughout the entire album, and somehow society chooses this one boring, repetitive song with very little of musical interest in it.

My biggest beef with the music industry is that whenever an album comes out, people choose one song to play over and over and over, and then everyone thinks that's the greatest song on the album when really it's no better than the others. Green Day's "21 Guns" is a perfect example. They come out with an album full of musical promise and a sort of storyline that reappears throughout the entire album, and somehow society chooses this one boring, repetitive song with very little of musical interest in it.

I feel the same way about Green Day. IMO their last 2 albums were genius, some of the best concept albums I've heard, but the mainstream songs tended to knock them down a few notches. Wake me up when September ends and Boulevard of Broken Dreams completely covered up the better songs on the album, in particular Letterbomb and Homecoming. 21 Guns and Last of the American Girls had the same purpose in 21st Century breakdown, this time overshadowing The Static Age, Restless Heart Syndrome, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, and American Eulogy. This also happened to multiple other artists, but I don't think I need to elaborate any more.

I feel the same way about Green Day. IMO their last 2 albums were genius, some of the best concept albums I've heard, but the mainstream songs tended to knock them down a few notches. Wake me up when September ends and Boulevard of Broken Dreams completely covered up the better songs on the album, in particular Letterbomb and Homecoming. 21 Guns and Last of the American Girls had the same purpose in 21st Century breakdown, this time overshadowing The Static Age, Restless Heart Syndrome, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, and American Eulogy. This also happened to multiple other artists, but I don't think I need to elaborate any more.

Yes! You have no idea how many times I've listened to Letterbomb, Homecoming, and Give Me Novacaine. I preferred the "Viva la Gloria"s on 21st Century Breakdown (for the great piano intros), as well as Restless Heart Syndrome and Last Night on Earth. Oh, and Peacemaker was good. I tend to prefer their more lyrical songs over the repetitive ones and the sorta-screamo ones.

oMg WhAt Do YoU lIkE ???? rly cool indie things that only u no bout cuz ur cool? rly rly cool things like rly cool things? ya omfg yah!!!!!!!!!!!!

k.

-----------------

Drake, I mean, I don't agree with you, as I can see why many like him, but he's not my cup of tea/

3oh!3. K. Don't be mad cuz you trusted a [garden tool], and got messed over. Ain't their fault.

Avenged: I've not really heard their stuff, so I won't pass judgement.

Owl City: Yea, I hate them too. But it's made for the masses, what do you expect

B.O.B.: meh, kinda agree

Katy: Always hated her, her voice just gets under my skin, like polio.

I don't like indie.

Lil wayne has the most annoying voice ever. Eminem is just becoming a boring mainstream rapper.

I don't care if Lady gaga is the first to mix fashion and music "perfectly" her style of fashion and music is awful.

3oh!3, Idk wtf your talking about

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010